PDA

View Full Version : Lifers Group

Miho
10-04-2006, 04:52 AM
Belly of the Beast music video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jTf7BWCJcM)

Lifers Group is a hiphop group, and they were/are serving time in prison. From what I can tell, it's an actual program that help prisoners cope with their issues, and for future awareness. The music video is powerful, and the flows are nice. If they have an album, I'd like to listen to it.

Edit: Keep in mind, this group is from the early 1990s. I came across the video on YouTube.

mickill
10-04-2006, 09:26 AM
They have two albums. The first one's more like an EP, though. It's alright. The second one was less impressive.

Dr Deaf
10-04-2006, 03:53 PM
i had the first album back in the day (cassette). i think this project was sort of like a "SCARED STRAIGHT" type project or extention of the original program. 5 years ago, i picked up a couple mp3s and learned that dj shadow made some beats for them or remixed the originals.

now what i want to know is: did he remix belly of the beast and a few other tracks, or did he make the beats on the originally issued first album?

Dr Deaf
10-04-2006, 03:59 PM
wow. the dude that uploaded that vid has a bunch of great shit.

lord finesse, lords of the underground, dnice, LONS and ultramagnetic mcs to name a few faves.

anyone ever remember a guy named jz or YZ that had a track called "return of the holy one" i remember the video had him brandishing a tiny handgun and discarded mattresses in the background. catchy tune, but i never heard anything other than that tune from him.

re: belly of the beast video: i like the CO participation. it really doesn't get more raw than this. (y)

mickill
10-04-2006, 04:15 PM
The YZ album with Return Of The Holy One is The Ghetto's Been Good to Me. I never bought any of his other albums, though. I don't even know how many he has, really.

I got every album by all the other artists you mentioned, though. Except Lords Of The Underground. I only have their first one. Unfortunatlely, I bought the majority of these on cassette.

Dr Deaf
10-04-2006, 04:32 PM
word.

i used to watch rap city everyday after school on much music with the token black dood with the jehri curl looking fro. michael williams or something. he later switched gears and became the power hour host... i think that's around when rap city changed their intro from the cartoonish one to the video collage style one. i can't remember the host after that -- was it just guest spots by rappers, playing what they wanted?

lately, i find myself gravitating back to the old school shit because nothing coming out lately really moves me. the shit that i hear, i really can't justify forking over the notes for it. it seems so disposable like bic lighters, use em until they're done -- and throw em away.

will lil jon and the eastside boys enjoy old school status in 2020?

is dr dre's the chronic (92) old school now?

i kind of feel like old school just stops at 1988.

yeahwho
10-04-2006, 04:34 PM
wow. the dude that uploaded that vid has a bunch of great shit.

All of those videos are bringing it back, making me go through my goofy zip-up cassette holders. Only problem, the one cassette player I have is a piece of shit. Does anybody have a quality cassette player anymore?

I've seen that video before, I can't remember if it was on rotation on MTV or just some other TV show, forgot all about this, Sounds Great and the Dr is right, very raw.

Thanks for posting Mio

Dr Deaf
10-04-2006, 04:37 PM
i remember a few years back someone posted a cassette drive you could hook up to your pc. assbackwards technology, burning mp3s on to cassettes but, perhaps the same technology would permit you to digitalize your casettes?

i guess the sound quality wouldn't really make it worth it...

http://www.cduniverse.com/ has tonnes of the old shit at decent prices.

i'd like to buy some old stuff thats since been lost, stolen, worn out.

Dr Deaf
10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
eric b & rakim / microphone fiend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrX8LBHPINk&mode=related&search=)

damn, shit is timeless. will we ever see a resurgence of this calibre of rap/ppin / hip-hop?