PDA

View Full Version : Great find(s) in the bargain bin: The Coral

abcdefz
10-09-2006, 09:32 AM
...I'm especially sold on The Coral, despite the band's name.

This CD is Magic and Medicine, with Nightfreak and the Sons... thrown in as a bonus disk.

I see they're well known, but I'd never heard of them. Sampled it in the store, sounded promising, got home and played Magic and Medicine and just kept laughing 'cause I was so happy to find the darned thing.

Yeah, they wear they're '60's throwback on their sleeve, but it doesn't sound calculated. I really really dig it. The best bargain bin CD I've found in probably a year.

Two dollars. Still sealed. (y)

Anyone else here like these guys? I'm in.

trailerprincess
10-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Hit and miss for me I think. I'm not overly fond of their sound but they do some great poppy songs - not heard much of those 2 albums but the first one is pretty good. I think Invisible Invasion sounded too much like their previous material and generally got slated but yeah, in isolation, the songs hold their own. It's just when you put them together that it doesn't work.

abcdefz
10-09-2006, 10:04 AM
I'll have to hear more of their stuff. I could see how this stuff, going the wrong way, could get pretty precious, but (maybe because I miss so much of this current crop) this sounds fresh.

Front to end, Magic and Medicine holds up just fine for me. Like I said, I haven't listened to the Nightfreaks CD yet, so I have no idea. But this one's terrific.

Cool cover, too. (http://www.laut.de/bilder/lautstark/cd-reviews/c/coral/magic_and_medicine/defimage1.jpg)

icy manipulator
10-09-2006, 11:07 AM
i picked up a Dave Seaman Global Underground for $6 when they're usually about 40, but i dont expect many ppl to know him or that series of cds

Guy Incognito
10-09-2006, 11:38 AM
The Coral - its ok gets a bit samey after a while. Sound like The La's a bit too much for me. But I can see why they were popular here in the UK. I think they will have to do something little different next time around

abcdefz
10-09-2006, 11:50 AM
i picked up a Dave Seaman Global Underground for $6 when they're usually about 40, but i dont expect many ppl to know him or that series of cds

More info?

The Coral - its ok gets a bit samey after a while. Sound like The La's a bit too much for me. But I can see why they were popular here in the UK. I think they will have to do something little different next time around

I only heard the first CD by The Las back in the day. Circa 1992 or so? Same folks?

Freebasser
10-09-2006, 12:03 PM
I made the mistake of buying a The Coral album once. I bump into enough methed up scousers every day without having to listen to them sing.

abcdefz
10-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Clearly, it's affected you. I'm sorry.

Freebasser
10-09-2006, 12:16 PM
S'alright.

abcdefz
10-09-2006, 12:31 PM
...did you do the little hand puppet thing when you did that?

Freebasser
10-09-2006, 12:42 PM
S'alright?

S'alright

Guy Incognito
10-09-2006, 12:54 PM
More info?

I only heard the first CD by The Las back in the day. Circa 1992 or so? Same folks?

No - The La's were around late 80's early 90's, their singer was a bit of a nutter, Lee Mavers, think he was a smackhead. He took ages makin their first album and then they split and he disappeared into the wilderness. They're both from Liverpool and its a similar style. You should check out the La's album if you like the coral. Its eponymous. At least check out "There She Goes" and "Feelin"

Freebasser
10-09-2006, 12:57 PM
The La's had reformed last I heard and were doing pub gigs.

LE SHOCK HORREUR!

Guy Incognito
10-09-2006, 01:04 PM

LE SHOCK HORREUR!

When was that? I thought Lee MAvers had turned into Syd barratt. Do you know if Jon Power was back with them?

Freebasser
10-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Seems so...

Surprisingly, following an unpredictable reunion between Mavers and Power, in June 2005 The La's, with yet another new lineup, played six dates in England and Ireland ahead of an appearance at the Summer Sonic festival in Japan and sundry other festivals, with the line-up of Lee Mavers (vocals, guitar), John Power (bass, backing vocals), Jay Lewis of Liverpool band Cracatilla (guitar) and Nick Miniski (drums). Miniski was replaced by Lee Mavers' schoolfriend Jasper by the time The La's played their fourth reunion date, the June 13, 2005 Sheffield Leadmill gig, and by the time of the Glastonbury Festival 2005, Jasper, who by his own admission is not even a drummer, had become the full-time drummer. This was televised in part by the BBC. Amusingly both Miniski and Jasper played their gigs standing up, at Mavers' behest.

The setlists were the same as ever, although the encores consisted of one unreleased (but a popular bootleg) song "I Am The Key" and an unreleased and unheard song "Gimme the Blues" (the former having been played live from as early as 1989, but having yet to appear on a record). One other new song, "Sorry", was played at the Cork, Ireland show.

The group played festival dates late Summer 2005 such as Oxegen (Ireland), V (UK) and the aforementioned Summer Sonic festival (Japan), and embarked on a short tour of Japan, which saw them play songs by The Who such as "My Generation".

Since then it is believed that Mavers is again working on The La's' elusive second album. When interviewed in August 2006, John Power explained that Mavers was still "tinkering with something that's majestic" and of the release date, "I can’t tell you where and when . . . 'cos whatever he does, whether it’s in this lifetime or the next, it can’t be rushed".[1]

A compilation of The La's radio appearances for the BBC was to be released on 18th September 2006, called The La's - BBC In Session.

Guy Incognito
10-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Seems so...

I fuckin went to Glastonbury that year as well. Jesus , I must have been twatted, I would have gone for a look at them, maybe I did and just dont remember.

abcdefz
10-09-2006, 02:05 PM
No - The La's were around late 80's early 90's, their singer was a bit of a nutter, Lee Mavers, think he was a smackhead. He took ages makin their first album and then they split and he disappeared into the wilderness. They're both from Liverpool and its a similar style. You should check out the La's album if you like the coral. Its eponymous. At least check out "There She Goes" and "Feelin"

It's the same album I was thinking of. I was thinking 1992 -- it came out (here) in 1990.

Good album, as I recall. (y)

b-grrrlie
10-09-2006, 05:24 PM

LE SHOCK HORREUR!A friend of mine taped one of those gigs... It's not on the torrents anymore, but if you're interested let me know...

icy manipulator
10-10-2006, 01:52 AM
More info?

Global Underground is a collection of sets from dj's at various places around the world. the main series has sets from Tony Devit, Nick Warren, Paul Oakenfold, John Digweed, Sasha, Danny Tennaglia, Dave Seaman, Darren Emerson, Deep Dish, James Lavelle and Danny Howells. Most of the places they were done were pretty random, there's Tel Aviv, Prague, Oslo, Tokyo, Sydney, New York, Brazil, San Francisco, Athens, Budapest, Buenos Aires, Ibiza, Hong Kong, Uruguay, Cape Town, London, Amsterdam, LA, Singapore, Moscow, Melbourne, Barcelona, Reykjavik, Atlanta, Toronto, Romania and Shanghai

abcdefz
10-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Global Underground is a collection of sets from dj's at various places around the world. the main series has sets from Tony Devit, Nick Warren, Paul Oakenfold, John Digweed, Sasha, Danny Tennaglia, Dave Seaman, Darren Emerson, Deep Dish, James Lavelle and Danny Howells. Most of the places they were done were pretty random, there's Tel Aviv, Prague, Oslo, Tokyo, Sydney, New York, Brazil, San Francisco, Athens, Budapest, Buenos Aires, Ibiza, Hong Kong, Uruguay, Cape Town, London, Amsterdam, LA, Singapore, Moscow, Melbourne, Barcelona, Reykjavik, Atlanta, Toronto, Romania and Shanghai

I'm wondering if I've heard a compilation, because some of that info and those names sound familiar. Hmmm....

I'll keep an eye peeled. Danke! (y)

camo
10-10-2006, 09:28 AM
...I'm especially sold on The Coral, despite the band's name.

This CD is Magic and Medicine, with Nightfreak and the Sons... thrown in as a bonus disk.

I see they're well known, but I'd never heard of them. Sampled it in the store, sounded promising, got home and played Magic and Medicine and just kept laughing 'cause I was so happy to find the darned thing.

Yeah, they wear they're '60's throwback on their sleeve, but it doesn't sound calculated. I really really dig it. The best bargain bin CD I've found in probably a year.

Two dollars. Still sealed. (y)

Anyone else here like these guys? I'm in.

good band. You should check out the zutons as well if you like that sorta stuff. I wonder what the coral are up to now. I feel a google search coming on!

icy manipulator
10-10-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm wondering if I've heard a compilation, because some of that info and those names sound familiar. Hmmm....

I'll keep an eye peeled. Danke! (y)
yeah, well i think alot of people have heard of paul oakenfold, he's done the music for a couple of movies like swordfish. same with Deep Dish. Darren Emerson used to be part of Underworld, James Lavelle is one half of UNKLE, plus John Digweed part of Bedrock, and Nick Warren is half of Way out West. FYI, Deep Dish and Danny Tenaglia are yanks, the rest are poms, so if you've heard of any it's prolly those 2

abcdefz
10-10-2006, 10:28 AM
yeah, well i think alot of people have heard of paul oakenfold, he's done the music for a couple of movies like swordfish. same with Deep Dish. Darren Emerson used to be part of Underworld, James Lavelle is one half of UNKLE, plus John Digweed part of Bedrock, and Nick Warren is half of Way out West. FYI, Deep Dish and Danny Tenaglia are yanks, the rest are poms, so if you've heard of any it's prolly those 2

I know who Oakenfield is, but a lot of the other names sort of blur together. I'm not well-versed in that scene at all, though it's a good time to be scooping up that stuff from the bargain bin -- at least here.

good band. You should check out the zutons as well if you like that sorta stuff. I wonder what the coral are up to now. I feel a google search coming on!

Aw, man. You think Coral broke up already?

Zutons -- at first I thought you meant that Smashing Pumpkins' guy's band from a few years back. :D

camo
10-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Aw, man. You think Coral broke up already?

Zutons -- at first I thought you meant that Smashing Pumpkins' guy's band from a few years back. :D

don't think they broke up yet, I'll dig deeper. They seemed to appear release a couple of albums then dissapear. Maybe there just busy.

Nah the zutons are another scouse act. good too!

abcdefz
10-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Whoa.

For what it's worth, I snagged a sealed copy of Invisible Invasion (the newest) from the bargain bin yesterday. Pretty excited.

I REALLY didn't like it. It was just so poor. I need to listen to it again, but it's pretty lame.

I don't know to what degree Invisible Invasion is what people here are responding to as "The Coral," but Magic and Medicine is so heads and shoulders above this other thing.

It's almost as if I'm excited about The Coral because of Sticky Fingers and people maybe other people are dissing them because of Dirty Work. Sorta.

Oh, well. I'm bummed about Invasion, but Magic and Medicine was worth the price of both of 'em. (y)