PDA

View Full Version : Who is a bigger 90s rock legend? De La Rocha or Cornell

Rancid_Beasties
10-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Are they even in the same league? Settle an argument...I think de la rocha is much more of a legend, regardless of who you like more most people would agree with this. Its basically RATM vs Soundgarden. Seriously, not even close.

Otis Driftwood
10-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Lemmy is a legend. These two are like DLR = 11% CC = 10%

zorra_chiflada
10-11-2006, 08:52 AM
i just think that de la rocha didnt do much. i always get shat on for not being a ratm fan.

zorra_chiflada
10-11-2006, 08:54 AM
you know, this poll also needs to be considerably bigger, with other 90s rock legends including mike patton and trent reznor. JUST A THOUGHT, RANCID.

avignon
10-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Sammy Hagar was much better than David Lee Roth. Wait...what?

Otis Driftwood
10-11-2006, 08:57 AM
you know, this poll also needs to be considerably bigger, with other 90s rock legends including mike patton and trent reznor. JUST A THOUGHT, RANCID.
Most of the good FNM songs came out before 1990...

Rancid_Beasties
10-11-2006, 08:58 AM
I didnt say who is the biggest 90s rock legend. When it comes down to it neither patton or reznor would be able to match cobain in sheer notoriety anyways. He'll definitely go down as the elvis/hendrix/bono etc of the 90s.

zorra_chiflada
10-11-2006, 08:58 AM
maybe add jerry cantrell and scott weiland for good measure.

the 90s make me all :o

zorra_chiflada
10-11-2006, 09:02 AM
that tool guy. tooly mctool.

zorra_chiflada
10-11-2006, 09:03 AM
dave grohl

zorra_chiflada
10-11-2006, 09:05 AM
and i don't think "legend" is the right word. more like, "singer/musician who is well respected and stuff as long as they are still in our memory"

zorra_chiflada
10-11-2006, 09:14 AM
jeff buckley - but no so much rock music, more like "gettin your woman horny" music.

icy manipulator
10-11-2006, 09:19 AM
that tool guy. tooly mctool.
maynard you mean? anyway, Zack gets my vote easily

Tzar
10-11-2006, 09:54 AM
more people could recognise/identify Zack for being 'that guy from Rage Against the Machine'. he's one of "those" frontmen - ones that, if left the band, they couldn't continue... and that's what happened.

hitmonlee
10-11-2006, 10:17 AM
they are both damn hot

cornell (y)

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Rocha. (y)

Mr Films
10-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Cornell by far only because Rocha isn't much without his band.

Maybe if he had ever actually released a solo record of any kind there'd be more to argue for him but the window for that came and went long ago.

While I do prefer Rage to Audioslave, I prefer Cornell to Rocha as far as frontmen go.

cosmo105
10-11-2006, 02:01 PM
i think that de la rocha's more of a "legend" because cornell has gotten a little too much exposure in the form of audioslave, if that makes sense. he's more mysterious.

Lex Diamonds
10-11-2006, 02:06 PM
there both gey LOL

Rip Round'n Roc
10-11-2006, 02:48 PM
temple of the dog

Tzar
10-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Cornell by far only because Rocha isn't much without his band.

Maybe if he had ever actually released a solo record of any kind there'd be more to argue for him but the window for that came and went long ago.

While I do prefer Rage to Audioslave, I prefer Cornell to Rocha as far as frontmen go.
yeah but, proper frontmen, rock legends are known by EVERYONE. cornell got real massive exposure when he joined with the rest of RATM.

de la rocha was in the spotlight through-out his entire time with RATM. a proper frontman is supposed to die when the band self-destructs.. which is why people here are calling him a legend.

DroppinScience
10-11-2006, 03:03 PM
The real answer is neither: it's Kurt Cobain.

Between the two, it's probably Cornell, I s'pose.

zorra_chiflada
10-11-2006, 03:04 PM
seriously, legend is too boring and restrictive. that's not what this is about.

DroppinScience
10-11-2006, 03:06 PM
seriously, legend is too boring and restrictive. that's not what this is about.

I agree. What's a better word for legend? Who has made more impact? Legend feels too premature for these guys anyways.

zorra_chiflada
10-11-2006, 03:09 PM
most respected? i like that one

Drederick Tatum
10-11-2006, 03:36 PM
De La Rocha has basically disappeared since RATM broke up. the only thing that I had any interest in was that thing he did with DJ Shadow, which was pretty average.

Mr Films
10-11-2006, 04:06 PM

fuckin Cobain, the Tupac of rock.

if he were still around, he'd be makin the same watered down shit everyone else did. despite being a good band, Nirvana did nothing special.

the best career move this guy made was blowing his head off.

flame me all you want.

DroppinScience
10-11-2006, 04:12 PM
the best career move this guy made was blowing his head off.

Same can be said for Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jeff Buckley (and his pop Tim Buckley), Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Ian Curtis, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

For better or worse, most of our favorite rock stars are the dead kind. Just the way it is.

Freebasser
10-11-2006, 04:13 PM
A good band who did nothing special? Bizarre.

I would've labelled them a shitty band who nonetheless brought grunge into the mainstream.

Drederick Tatum
10-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Nirvana weren't a shitty band.

cookiepuss
10-11-2006, 05:05 PM
if we are going with sheer vocal ability alone I would say Cornell. I personally feel he has more range and one of the best rock voices out there....still.

zorra_chiflada
10-11-2006, 05:59 PM
if we are going with sheer vocal ability alone I would say Cornell. I personally feel he has more range and one of the best rock voices out there....still.

zactly. it's a hard rock voice that can also be melodic.

Documad
10-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Same can be said for Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jeff Buckley (and his pop Tim Buckley), Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Ian Curtis, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

For better or worse, most of our favorite rock stars are the dead kind. Just the way it is.
I was going to say that -- except without Ian Curtis and Buddy Holly. :) All the people who die young are overrated -- add James Dean and River Phoenix and even John Lennon. It's very difficult to age and do embarrassing middle-aged things and keep your reputation. You have to be Keith Richards or Neil Young to do that.

Oh, and neither one of them is a legend, but Cornell is and was very attractive.

The Notorious LOL
10-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Zach De La Rocha makes me want to smash shit when I listen to the first Rage album.

Chris Cornell makes me want to smash shit when I listen to anything he has done for a completely different reason: he sucks.

zorra_chiflada
10-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Chris Cornell makes me want to smash shit when I listen to anything he has done for a completely different reason: he sucks.

i know why!!

Cornell is and was very attractive.

don't hate him because he's mantastic!

The Notorious LOL
10-11-2006, 08:00 PM
if that explanation was viable, I would have a great level of disdain for myself.

DroppinScience
10-12-2006, 12:00 AM
All the people who die young are overrated -- add James Dean and River Phoenix and even John Lennon.

Lennon was 40 years old. Sure, that's not exactly a ripe old age, but in rock star terms, that's a lot of years.

ggirlballa
10-12-2006, 01:00 AM
my vote goes to Zach De La Rocha

his voice is so nice (imo) & i'm a RATM fan...:p

Rancid_Beasties
10-12-2006, 01:36 AM

Between the two, it's probably Cornell, I s'pose.
See post #7

Anyway, its clear that neither of these guys are legends but if we were to say who is more legendary it would have to be de la rocha. And dont try to change the rules halfway through zorra. You said that Cornell is more of a rock legend than De La Rocha, anyway if you had've said who is more respected as a singer it would still be de la rocha because he pretty much invented a whole genre (maybe faith no more did to an extent aswell) of singing thats halfway in between rapping and singing, and whilst the bands that have come out of that have been mostly crap, its still more than cornell ever did. Theres heaps of singers that sound like him, and even though eddie vedder was after cornell, I still think he sings much better in a similar style. And I dont even like pearl jam.

zorra_chiflada
10-12-2006, 07:17 AM
hater

hitmonlee
10-12-2006, 10:29 AM
See post #7

Anyway, its clear that neither of these guys are legends but if we were to say who is more legendary it would have to be de la rocha. And dont try to change the rules halfway through zorra. You said that Cornell is more of a rock legend than De La Rocha, anyway if you had've said who is more respected as a singer it would still be de la rocha because he pretty much invented a whole genre (maybe faith no more did to an extent aswell) of singing thats halfway in between rapping and singing, and whilst the bands that have come out of that have been mostly crap, its still more than cornell ever did. Theres heaps of singers that sound like him, and even though eddie vedder was after cornell, I still think he sings much better in a similar style. And I dont even like pearl jam.

ok you are saying why you think zack is a better singer, in regards to your criteria.

to me a good singer is someone who makes me feel the emotion in the song. this is what chris does. i get goosebumps. literally. his voice just hits that spot in me.

that's my criteria.

some people use range as a criteria, whatever, its subjective.

i love him :o

come to think of it - i had posters of both of them... on my wall... next to each other. but i had 2 chris posters and only one zack.

monkey
10-12-2006, 10:54 AM
damn i cant vote. i had had obsessions with both at some point in my life. de la rocha has brought out pure anger in me, whereas cornell has actually made me cry.

no fair!

i pick adrock omfgz!!!

b i o n i c
10-12-2006, 11:18 AM
he's great, but chris cornell's voice is so shot nowadays. when you hear him live you can tell he struggles to get the height and power he used to :(

Tzar
10-12-2006, 11:25 AM
to me a good singer is someone who makes me feel the emotion in the song. this is what chris does. i get goosebumps. literally. his voice just hits that spot in me.
yep, too right, but Zack definately makes me feel the emotion in alot of RATM songs. i mean he didn't give me goosebumps - but he makes me wanna do 'this' or 'that' after listening to bulls on parade or tire me.

wavin_goodbye
10-12-2006, 04:13 PM
my two favourite bands...

will have to go with cornell though.. much, much more varied.. held his own..

temple of the dog, his solo album and badmotorfinger all incredible, incredible stuff...

ggirlballa
10-12-2006, 06:12 PM
i'm getting chills just by listening to Zach's voice :D

hitmonlee
10-12-2006, 09:05 PM
yep, too right, but Zack definately makes me feel the emotion in alot of RATM songs. i mean he didn't give me goosebumps - but he makes me wanna do 'this' or 'that' after listening to bulls on parade or tire me.

yeah... i know what you mean
similar to what monkey said
RATM might get me hyped up, but soundgarden can make me cry

wavin_goodbye
10-13-2006, 08:59 AM
oh yeah, and i would say that cornell is more universally well known (even without the audioslave stuff).. he just isn't here because of b-boys-ratm connections..

Kid Presentable
10-13-2006, 11:39 AM
It's Zack for me. No question. Sure Cornell was part of an arguably legendary rock group. But Zack and Co awoke my social awareness in ways that not much else (barring PE, and really most of that went over an 11 year old's head) nobody had ever done. That band opened my eyes more than teachers, friends and parents. Maybe I was lucky I was young enough to be moved by the message and the expression, if so, then good for me.(y)

Tzar
10-14-2006, 04:25 AM
cornell's voice could/can be mimic'd
zack's - NO ONE will ever be able to cover RATM songs successfully. his voice is individual. he dances really cool too. just see the Ghost of Tom Joad vid off their first dvd.

Planetary
10-14-2006, 07:11 AM
i'd have to say delarocha. mostly cause i only liked one album by soundgarden and all of ratm's. making him and them better.