PDA

View Full Version : Post here about how corny Common is

Auton
10-13-2006, 11:03 AM
so i tried listening to 'be' again today after not listening to it in a year. it's kind of embarrassing how deliberate it is in trying to be "important" and socially consious, like it's an update of 'what's going on.' sorry kanye, common, you're both impossibly corny and the only thing you accomplished was creating the most boring album of 2005.

oh and anyone else find the last track (with the kids and the old man telling us to "be") to be the goofiest thing ever? blech.

checkyourprez
10-13-2006, 11:12 AM
i dont share your sentiments. i found it to be a pretty dec album for something in this time period.

Kid Presentable
10-13-2006, 11:29 AM
I listen to The Corner on headphones about 6 times in a row whenever it comes on, just to rattle off freestyles in my head. But yeah, the album is a bit too self-aware . The Corner excluded. And I don't mind Testify.

The Notorious LOL
10-13-2006, 11:30 AM
you speak truth, friend.

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Excellent album, I disagree.

pshabi
10-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Excellent album, I disagree.
QFT

I wouldn't expect someone from "Gangsterville" to really get into it.

yooooo
10-13-2006, 03:36 PM
sorry kanye, common, you're both impossibly corny

yesssss(y) (y) (y)

Gareth
10-13-2006, 03:52 PM
lol @ dudes wearing turtle necks.

g-mile7
10-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Goes from just hating Testify to the WHOLE LP...it is good!People need to stop hating on Kanye.Damn I fail to see the attempt at social commentry either...Be,The Corner,Faithful,Love,The Food, Its Your...(the ending sucks though)and even They Say are solid lyrically and in terms of production.I disagree,espically since these "real fans" been begging Jay or whoever in the mainstream to make or have songs like those mentioned above.I hated Go though.Hip-hop cant please y'all anymore;your too damn picky.

DroppinScience
10-13-2006, 04:03 PM
your too damn picky.

I agree. Anytime somebody mentions hip-hop on this board, we become divided between the mainstream "crunk" stuff and then the other side is all underground/alternative/backpacker stuff.

There's just no love.

g-mile7
10-13-2006, 04:18 PM
I agree. Anytime somebody mentions hip-hop on this board, we become divided between the mainstream "crunk" stuff and then the other side is all underground/alternative/backpacker stuff.

It comes down to high standards,then switching the criteria of what they want What more do people want?Answer:they dont even know.I bet if Dilla had produced this whole LP&Common rapped the exact same songs over those beats (not Kanye's)we have a diffrent say.Hes only goofy cause hes with 'Ye

Ally Al
10-13-2006, 05:16 PM
oh and anyone else find the last track (with the kids and the old man telling us to "be") to be the goofiest thing ever? blech.

come on dude, that beat is just dope, a real dilla classic

the old man is common father btw

i have to edit common isn't corny, and if we're tagging kanye on this, we major is fucking sensational

cosmo105
10-13-2006, 05:33 PM
i don't even listen to hip-hop and i know common is corny as hell.

Ally Al
10-13-2006, 05:39 PM
i don't even listen to hip-hop and i know common is corny as hell.

so how is common corny ?

cosmo105
10-13-2006, 05:44 PM
he played a show at my school recently. i don't know a single person that went. there were flyers all over the ground for days and days afterward that nobody wanted.

Ally Al
10-13-2006, 05:49 PM
he played a show at my school recently. i don't know a single person that went. there were flyers all over the ground for days and days afterward that nobody wanted.

and that makes common corny ? dear lord, don't ever talk about hip hop again please.

mickill
10-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Common's a good rapper. When he's on his organic hippie shit, I'm not exactly feeling it, but for the most part, he's a talented guy. He's made a lot of good songs and a lot of not so great ones as well. I think The Corner is sick as hell, but yeah, overall I didn't like 'Be' all that much.

His verse on College Dropout, though...that was lethal. I wish he'd spit like that all the time.

Ally Al
10-13-2006, 05:55 PM
this is some bullshit post

although i don't own com's first album, ressurection, one day...., like water for chocolate, electric circus and be are all solid albums (well except for maybe testify)

lol at a beastie boys fan calling common corny

Extra Cheese
10-13-2006, 06:21 PM
i would agree if this was said when electric circus came out, that shit was just stupid ass crap but the rest of his stuff has been good.

wavin_goodbye
10-13-2006, 07:01 PM
i like be.. what album should i get next?

pshabi
10-13-2006, 08:02 PM
and that makes common corny ? dear lord, don't ever talk about hip hop again please.
Thank you.

The definition of dork is 14k+ posts on a hip hop board (for all intents and purposes) and you don't even like hip hop! Your school sucks Cosmo!

pshabi
10-13-2006, 08:03 PM
lol at a beastie boys fan calling common corny
Was just about to post this as well. I'm cosignin' Ally Al's posts in this thread.

CJM
10-13-2006, 11:31 PM
i think Common's flow is sick as hell.

cosmo105
10-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Was just about to post this as well. I'm cosignin' Ally Al's posts in this thread.
haha. calm down everyone.

Mr Films
10-14-2006, 12:12 AM
the opening track, the corner and the food are good

otherwise, snore. I got bored quick.

I also had hoped there'd be a studio version of 'the food' but instead I get the live version from chappelle's show.wtf?

pshabi
10-14-2006, 12:50 AM
the opening track, the corner and the food are good

otherwise, snore. I got bored quick.

I also had hoped there'd be a studio version of 'the food' but instead I get the live version from chappelle's show.wtf?
Wahhhhhhhhhh, get a kleenex.

The live version is better anyway.

Mr Films
10-14-2006, 12:54 AM
Wahhhhhhhhhh, get a kleenex.

The live version is better anyway.

better than what? there's nothing to compare to.

just sayin.

Auton
10-14-2006, 01:15 AM
haha. pshabi's a baby.

Auton
10-14-2006, 01:18 AM
QFT

I wouldn't expect someone from "Gangsterville" to really get into it.

keep in mind you're talking about someone who also has a clown avatar... and really, it doesn't change the fact you have terrible taste in rap.

Mr Films
10-14-2006, 01:21 AM
the live version is better than mass genocide.

I'll agree with that.

pshabi
10-14-2006, 02:06 AM
better than what? there's nothing to compare to.

just sayin.
I've heard the "studio" version, and the live version is better. Do you need an interpreter? Listen for yourself: http://www.ifmusic.co.uk/catalog/product.php?products_id=2135

Ally Al
10-14-2006, 02:50 AM
i like be.. what album should i get next?

check Resurrection first his second album, production from ID and the beats are just dope, also features the classic I used love H.E.R.. Next album One day it'll all make sense, also well worth picking up. Follow that with Like water for chocolate, probably my favourite com album, features some top notch dilla production (nag champa, funky 4 u etc) and sixth sense produced by primo. Despite what extra cheese says (well, he is black eyed peas fan) pick up Electric circus, totally removed from everything he did before, experimental if you will, but still a good album

The Notorious LOL
10-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Common has a handful of decent songs that are mainly decent due to good production, which means jack shit about him. Good beats made Li'l Dap semi-listenable.

As far as a rapper, hes like some earth tone color wearing bearded rapping art college student rapping about absolutely of merit and using ultra clever metaphors like "deeper than a skinny girls cunt". Id rather listen to a Cassidy mixtape.

g-mile7
10-14-2006, 01:38 PM
A Common show in SoCal I wouldn't expect to do well to begin with....if it was The Federation then it would have been a diffrent story let alone the Game.

Ally Al
10-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Common has a handful of decent songs that are mainly decent due to good production, which means jack shit about him. Good beats made Li'l Dap semi-listenable.

As far as a rapper, hes like some earth tone color wearing bearded rapping art college student rapping about absolutely of merit and using ultra clever metaphors like "deeper than a skinny girls cunt". Id rather listen to a Cassidy mixtape.

once again i yawn you, dude you're a fan of dmx for fucks sake

i used to love h.e.r. pisses all over anything your crackhead boy has ever done or ever will

you make the point about a production but show me an mc who has shone without dope beats

and rapping absolutely of merit ? what the fuck does that mean ?

you stick to your bullshit ironic listening to cassidy stance

g-mile7
10-14-2006, 02:04 PM

i used to love h.e.r. pisses all over anything your crackhead boy has ever done or ever will

you make the point about a production but show me an mc who has shone without dope beats

and rapping absolutely of merit ? what the fuck does that mean ?

you stick to your bullshit ironic listening to cassidy stance

hahahaha oh boy your going get some sarcasm coming your way'.....:). I got $5 on it.

And, at one point, DMX was really good (just listen to "Slipping" and the joint he did with Faith Evans). I enjoy DMX more then DipSet (whcih LOL likes to LOL at except for Juelz)

g-mile7
10-14-2006, 02:18 PM

The 24-year-old Philadelphia MC, whose real name is Barry Reese, was in the passenger seat of an SUV when it was struck by another vehicle on Oct. 5 in Jersey City, according to police spokesman Sgt. Edgar Martinez.

"He has multiple fractures of his face," his lawyer, Simon Rosen, said Friday, according to the Associated Press. "He has a nasty scar from his ear to the corner of his mouth. He's on sedation to keep him from moving, and to keep him out of pain.”

According to the Jersey Journal of Jersey City, the artist remained in critical condition Tuesday at Jersey City Medical Center.

"It's scary looking, but he's a very strong young man," said Rosen. "He's a fighter. He'll come through this."

Javier Trujillo Gonzalez of Carson City, Mich., the 36-year-old driver of the vehicle that smashed into the SUV, was issued a summons for making an improper turn. All five people involved in the crash were taken to local hospitals, but only Cassidy sustained serious injuries, Rosen said.

The accident occurred as the rapper was en route to a recording studio in New York to work on an upcoming album.

streethop.com:(

Ally Al
10-14-2006, 02:32 PM
hahahaha oh boy your going get some sarcasm coming your way'.....:). I got $5 on it.

don't worry G, i'm sure i'll cope

dmx after it's dark and hell is hot, meh. slipping maybe, and that song about his grandmother, with faith on the hook, oh and x gonna give it to ya i liked that. Other than that homo thuggery at it's finest. Angry dudes with no shirts on, love their dogs but hate bitches, ruff ryders indeed, suspect as fuck!

Mr Films
10-14-2006, 03:47 PM
seriously, why doesn't everyone on this board have the exact same taste in music?!!!??!?!

GODDAMN THAT PISSES ME OFF SO FUCKING MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

*ironic sarcastic bullshit goes here*

g-mile7
10-14-2006, 06:39 PM
seriously, why doesn't everyone on this board have the exact same taste in music?!!!??!?!

GODDAMN THAT PISSES ME OFF SO FUCKING MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

*ironic sarcastic bullshit goes here*
Its the fact that people shit on others due to their different taste (as well as so-so reasons the artist sucks without seeing why people like them. I try and see both sides and try not be rude to people. DMX's 1st song with Faith is the one I like not the recent one Al (the song's playastic)

Ally Al
10-15-2006, 03:14 AM
. DMX's 1st song with Faith is the one I like not the recent one Al (the song's playastic)

the one i'm thinking of is a good 3 or 4 years old, i think it's called baby it's going to be ok or something like that

my apologises to LOL for being rude about his tastes, but he like totally started it

ET
10-15-2006, 04:01 AM
He's like a cookie without sugar; boring and pointless.

And don't get me started on Common.... ZING!

The Notorious LOL
10-15-2006, 10:58 AM

are you senile or just stupid? we already had this discussion.

and "he totally started it" is some color crayon scribbling kool aid moustache kindergarten bullshit...last I checked Auton started the post.

HEIRESS
10-15-2006, 11:14 AM
I own way better tuques than common

Ally Al
10-15-2006, 12:57 PM
and "he totally started it" is some color crayon scribbling kool aid moustache kindergarten bullshit...last I checked Auton started the post.

jesus, i thought you were a little bit sharper than that, it was a joke, i was making light of the discussion as i realised my remarks attacking your tastes in hip hop were maybe uncalled for

ggirlballa
10-15-2006, 02:23 PM
mommy & daddy please stop fighting!:(

lol

Ally Al
10-15-2006, 02:42 PM
I own way better tuques than common

whats a tuque ?

pshabi
10-15-2006, 04:29 PM
whats a tuque ?
Tuque (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuque)

adam_f
10-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Be isn't a terrible album, but the replay value is ridiculously minimal. I can't listen to it anymore without needing a Vivarin.

If you listen to "Can I Borrow a Dollar?" and "Be" back-to-back, you'll hear two different Common's. It'll make you long for 1992 again.

adam_f
10-16-2006, 01:20 PM
In my mind, Common won't have a chance in hell of releasing a killer album like "Like Water For Chocolate" since J Dilla has passed. Not to mention he's an actor now. It's all going to hell for him. And I'm a fan too.

HEIRESS
10-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Tuque (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuque)

yeah, and mine are way better than any of common's

roosta
10-16-2006, 03:18 PM
people keep going on bout his flow or his beats or whatever, but the title of this thread is about how corny he is, and he is kinda corny.

someone find me a blend of the beat from "6th sense" with nas or somebody.

g-mile7
10-16-2006, 08:03 PM
so i tried listening to 'be' again today after not listening to it in a year. it's kind of embarrassing how deliberate it is in trying to be "important" and socially consious, like it's an update of 'what's going on.' sorry kanye, common, you're both impossibly corny and the only thing you accomplished was creating the most boring album of 2005.

4 Roosta

adam_f
10-16-2006, 08:07 PM
"A man in front of the store, begging for money and mercy
I told him say a prayer under his breath, he cursed me"
- That song with Kweli on "Beautiful Struggle"

Definition of corny.

roosta
10-17-2006, 12:58 AM
4 Roosta

er....thanks?

g-mile7
10-17-2006, 11:14 PM
er....thanks?
The first post in this thread dealt with how corny BE (dealing with the beats, contents and flow in a sense) was, not particularly Common as a whole.

roosta
10-18-2006, 01:00 AM
The first post in this thread dealt with how corny BE (dealing with the beats, contents and flow in a sense) was, not particularly Common as a whole.

i know...i never said no-one had mentioned this..i was just trying to get it back on topic....

Auton
11-19-2006, 09:02 PM
BUMP

yeah, and I made this thread BEFORE he came out with his new Gap commercial. have any of you seen it? dude is rapping on top of a huge peace symbol about "peace, love and gap." what a fruitcup.

cosmo105
11-19-2006, 09:09 PM
i totally guffawed at that video and thought of you, ed. so hilarious.

how can you come across as all organic crunchy peace love hippie shit when you're pandering for a company that's notorious for sweatshop labor?

adam_f
11-19-2006, 10:39 PM
My dad was like "Who was that in that Gap ad?" I said "Common." He said "What a fag."

DroppinScience
11-19-2006, 10:45 PM
BUMP

yeah, and I made this thread BEFORE he came out with his new Gap commercial. have any of you seen it? dude is rapping on top of a huge peace symbol about "peace, love and gap." what a fruitcup.

Ouch, that sounds embarrassing.

pshabi
11-19-2006, 10:56 PM
My dad was like "Who was that in that Gap ad?" I said "Common." He said "What a fag."
Then he went in the bathroom and jerked off to your Abercrombie and Fitch catolog.

adam_f
11-21-2006, 09:19 PM
That was easily the dumbest fucking thing I've read since I read a Highlights magazine at the dentist.

Ason Unique
11-21-2006, 09:24 PM
That was easily the dumbest fucking thing I've read since I read a Highlights magazine at the dentist.
lol

skinnybutphat
11-22-2006, 02:02 PM
I like Be overall, a little too Kanyefied though. I think Common's best days are clearly behind him. That Gap commercial makes me want to puke. He's teetering on corny.

b i o n i c
11-22-2006, 02:11 PM
his beard is very tidy

mickill
11-22-2006, 04:22 PM
COMMON'S STREET CRED IS IN JEOPARDY.

The Notorious LOL
11-22-2006, 04:23 PM

yo dont diss Highlights.

DIGI
11-22-2006, 06:24 PM
yo dont diss Highlights.

Yeah, he's just talkin smack cuz he couldn't find all the shit in the photo hunt on the last page.

weak.........like common.

Brother McDuff
11-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Though it's tough to deny that Common's got a well-honed style and smooth delivery, these traits don't mean jack when he walks around with that "pretty-boy", almost girly steez. It's a good example of a very talented MC sabotaging his own (and arguably well-deserved) credibility by over-doing the whole mama's boy, oh so sensitive, "fall into the gap", condescending image.