PDA

View Full Version : Hall's first class ready to rock and roll

KENNY GUIDO
10-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Hall's first class ready to rock and roll
BY GLENN GAMBOA
Newsday Staff Writer

October 15, 2006

No list of Long Island music greats would be complete without Billy Joel.

Raised in Hicksville and now an Oyster Bay resident, Joel is not only one of the most successful touring acts of all time, but has also sold more than 100 million records.

So when Long Island Music Hall of Fame organizers mapped out the first induction ceremony, set for tonight at the Patchogue Theatre, they hoped Joel would take part, but they had to plan as if he wouldn't.

"We really didn't think Billy Joel would jump on board, but we're thrilled he did," says Richard L'Hommedieu, the hall of fame's chairman. "He's so careful about the things he associates himself with. We thought he would wait until we had something under our belts first."

However, Joel says he was excited about the plans. "I've always been a Long Island booster," he says. "I think it's a good idea. There are a lot of musicians from Long Island, and I don't think that's ever been really recognized nationally. Long Island has a terrific history of artists and writers and poets that stretches back to the Revolution. It should be recognized for it."

Joel says Long Island musicians have always had to deal with some extra challenges, not being enough a part of the New York scene to get breaks, but also not seen as from somewhere exotic - such as Bob Dylan's Hibbing, Minn., roots - to get attention.

"We're all from nowhere, really," he says, remembering how Long Island musicians were often portrayed as "country bumpkins" by the New York media. "There were a lot of musicians who came from Long Island who would always say they were from New York. I think there was a certain fear of not being taken seriously if you were from a suburban area. I always made it a point to say I was from here and that I was proud to be from here."

That pride continues today for Joel, who says he believes strongly in celebrating Long Islander identity. He sees tonight's induction - which will be covered by around 50 media outlets, including CBS, ABC, Sirius Satellite Radio and The Associated Press - as part of that celebration and plans to take part in the whole experience, including the all-star jam planned to cap the event.

"I don't have anything planned," Joel says, adding that his band isn't around because they are preparing to go to South Africa with him this week, as part of a tour that will also go to Australia and Japan. "And I'm not much of a jamming guy, but I'd sit down and play with other people."

Gary U.S. Bonds, the "Quarter to Three" singer who will also be inducted tonight, is hoping for a chance to jam with Joel, saying, "Billy Joel is an icon. I saw him not too long ago and that kid is still looking fine."

Other inductees - 29 in all enter the hall tonight - include George Gershwin, John Coltrane and Run-D.M.C.

Joel, who will be inducted by Alec Baldwin, says there's only one part of the black-tie formal event he won't go along with.

"I'm not wearing a tuxedo," says Joel, laughing. "I'm still rock 'n' roll."

KENNY GUIDO
10-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Inductee Gary U.S. Bonds, who lives in Wheatley Heights, says he has always wondered why Long Island never had a music hall of fame. "I go all over, and it seems like every place, little places like Lenawee, Mich., will have a hall of fame for like one guy who passed through there once," he says, joking. "It's about time Long Island gets one. There's a lot of talent here. It feels good to be part of that."

Solidifying LI's history

Robert Santelli, artistic director for the Experience Music Project museum in Seattle and former director of education of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, says a music hall of fame can have a major impact on an area.

"It solidifies a region's history," Santelli says. "It also becomes a springboard for younger people when they learn about the artists in their area that came before them. Long Island's no slouch when it comes to music. But a Hall of Fame is only as good as its programs. There may be a big event once a year, but its reputation will be made on all the other days, on school programs, on public programs, on outreach to the community. It can show how the music helped define the area and its people, show how an area fits into the world around it. There's a story to be told there."

L'Hommedieu says the Hall of Fame is already telling that story in various exhibits and with Sunday's ceremony, which will be videotaped and which he hopes will be aired on public television once the necessary legal arrangements are made.

The group plans to soon announce a location for an incubator facility, as well as a scholarship program for Long Island students. L'Hommedieu says the Hall of Fame will start small before building up to a larger facility that would be open daily to visitors.

The group is also excited about creating some Long Island music history of its own with the induction ceremonies.

"Almost every artist involved wants to perform," L'Hommedieu says. "So we're going to set up three drumsets and plenty of amps on the stage and see what happens. It could be mind-boggling. There could be jam sessions that will be mind-boggling, jamming that we may never see again. It's one more way to show the world that Long Island is this great place to create music."

WHO'S ELIGIBLE FOR HALL OF FAME?

Eligibility for the Long Island Music Hall of Fame is pretty straightforward, says hall chairman Richard L'Hommedieu.

"Anyone who is born, raised or spent a significant part of their career on Long Island is eligible," he says, adding that the hall defines Long Island like mapmakers, not politicians.

His group considers anyone from Kings, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk counties eligible for the Long Island hall.

"I've never had to cross a trench or a river to get into Queens," L'Hommedieu says. "There's a pretty big pothole on the Belt Parkway, but that doesn't count."

AND THE INDUCTEES ARE...

James D'Aquisto - The late guitar-maker built and sold expensive archtop axes from his Farmingdale shop.

George M. Cohan - He's a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Harry Chapin - If "Cat's in the Cradle" doesn't bring a tear to your eye, you just might not be human.

Sam Ash Sr. - He built the largest family-owned chain of musical instrument stores in the country.

Perry Como - The king of the Christmas album.

John Coltrane - The jazz- man called Dix Hills home until his death in 1967.

KENNY GUIDO
10-15-2006, 06:42 PM
George Gershwin - He gave "Porgy and Bess" its musical legs.

Stony Brook University's music department - Um, the Staller Center is nice.

Long Island Philharmonic - David Wiley and his gang rock out in their own special way.

Twisted Sister - Ladies, hide your makeup kits.

Stray Cats - Rumble in Patchogue tonight!

Run-D.M.C. - The Hollis rap trio did no wrong on its first three albums.

Vanilla Fudge - Nice version of "You Keep Me Hangin' On."

Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley and Peter Criss of KISS - They can swap makeup tips with Dee Snider.

Johnny Maestro and the Brooklyn Bridge - Oldies but goodies.

Leslie West - Ain't no mountain high enough.

Gary U.S. Bonds - The Beatles opened for him in '63!

Billy Joel - No way! Is he really from Long Island?

Cyndi Lauper - Five million copies of "She's So Unusual" (Portrait) sold.

Neil Sedaka - "Breaking Up is Hard to Do"? Depends on who you're breaking up with.

Sam Taylor - Tune into bluesman Taylor's Friday radio show from 9 to 11 a.m. on WUSB/90.1 FM.

Edward "Little Buster" Forehand - Buster and the Soul Brothers will give you a case of the modern blues.

Richie Havens - From Bed- Stuy to Woodstock to the Stephen Talkhouse every other weekend, it seems.

Mose Allison - Pianists, too, get the blues.

Joan Jett - Long Beach's favorite rocker chick.

Tony Bennett - Some would say he left his heart in Astoria.

George "Shadow" Morton - The producer was in the shadows when he helped the Shangri-Las.

Marian McPartland - Congrats to McPartland, but let's take this time to plug East Ender Judy Carmichael.

Little Anthony and the Imperials - Imperial-style doo wop.-Kevin Amorim

WHEN&WHERE The Long Island Music Hall of Fame Induction Awards start at 5 p.m. Sunday at the Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts, 71 E. Main St., Patchogue. Tickets are $175-$495, call 631-207-1313 or visit patchoguetheater.com/buytickets.htm.