PDA

View Full Version : I Want You

abcdefz
10-24-2006, 02:32 PM
...I forget usually how long and, frankly, AWESOME The Beatles' "I Want You" is, and the different shifts it goes through. Whew!

MC Moot
10-24-2006, 02:41 PM
I Want You (to want me) Cheap Trick ;)

abcdefz
10-24-2006, 02:44 PM
I Want You (to want me) Cheap Trick ;)

I knead ewe 2 kneed mi

thegoodmrbrodie!
10-24-2006, 02:53 PM
'i want you' by the inspiral carpets.

MC Moot
10-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Actually,when I think about it for a moment,she's so heavy, really is a complex song,musically,considering the "lyrics" are so simple...often wondered if it was a "heroin" reference....

abcdefz
10-24-2006, 02:58 PM
It's a trip of sorts, yeah.

It's got movements to it, but I'm not sure it's all that complex, exactly. Especially the last few minutes, where it's kind of... not a dirge exactly, but... very hypnotic.

Yeah -- I dunno.

MC Moot
10-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Who do ya think played the organ? Billy Preston?
hmmmm?

yeahwho
10-24-2006, 03:27 PM
I'll be the token Dylan voter, I like the off the cuff rumble tumble barely melodic feel of the song. It's as though all three songs are the antidote for each other.

One is a plea, the other is a spell and Dylan's has a fleeting sort of transient feel to it. I guess it just sounds more healthy to me.

Ally Al
10-24-2006, 03:35 PM
come on AZ, where's eddie hazels version ?

Guy Incognito
10-24-2006, 04:18 PM
'i want you' by the inspiral carpets.

The version with Mark E Smith is miles better than the one by the band on their own

Dont forget I Want You by Utah Saints:eek: U-U-U-UTAH SAINTS

abcdefz
10-24-2006, 05:06 PM
come on AZ, where's eddie hazels version ?

How funny. That was sitting at my right elbow right as I made the list, and I didn't even think about it.

I had Abbey Road going at work, and the-guy-I-share-my-office-with and I were kind of "God, I haven't heard this in SO LONG!" kind of grooving to it.

In other words: I'm a disappointment to a lot of people. :o

Ally Al
10-24-2006, 05:48 PM
How funny. That was sitting at my right elbow right as I made the list, and I didn't even think about it.

I had Abbey Road going at work, and the-guy-I-share-my-office-with and I were kind of "God, I haven't heard this in SO LONG!" kind of grooving to it.

In other words: I'm a disappointment to a lot of people. :o

lol

no it's cool really, that version hasn't been in your head for anywhere near as long as the others, worth a mention though

yeahwho
10-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Paul's bass work is amazing in that song, and the overall quality is mint. I really like that song alot, especially played loud then followed up by side 2 of Abbey Road with the volume cranked up even louder.

I just like Dylan's "I Want You" more, because the song is more scattered like my messed up head.

ericlee
10-24-2006, 07:07 PM
I want ewe- some redneck jugband. Forgot their name though.

Rancid_Beasties
10-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Savage Garden :o

zorra_chiflada
10-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Savage Garden :o

you read my fricken mind

icy manipulator
10-24-2006, 09:57 PM
hell yes savage garden

hitmonlee
10-24-2006, 09:58 PM
and you both read mine

ooh i want you i don't know if i need you but ooh i'd die to find out

(I'D DIE TO FIND OUT)

DroppinScience
10-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Ok, all the Aussies on the board need to be banned now. :mad:

monkey
10-24-2006, 11:08 PM
cheap trick 4-eva

Rancid_Beasties
10-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Ok, all the Aussies on the board need to be banned now. :mad:
Hey you can't talk *cough* bryan adams *cough* celine dion *cough* avril lavigne *cough* *splutter* *puke*

Darren Hayes is a hero :cool:

DroppinScience
10-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey you can't talk *cough* bryan adams *cough* celine dion *cough* avril lavigne *cough* *splutter* *puke*

Darren Hayes is a hero :cool:

You don't see me, Heiress, mickill, SobaViolence and others all singing Celine Dion's praises like you guys are singing Savage Garden's. Be like a patriotic Canadian -- be utterly ashamed and embarrassed by your pop exports. :p

hitmonlee
10-24-2006, 11:38 PM
i'm not usually a big fan of pop music, but i do like a few savage garden tracks for some reason. well produced, and darren has a nice voice.

Rancid_Beasties
10-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Yeah seriously, whilst i'm ashamed of say human nature, peter andre, jet and the vines, i am in no way ashamed of Savage Garden, particularly this song. Silky 90s dance pop at its best.

icy manipulator
10-25-2006, 12:25 AM
yeah, most of the singles they realeased from that first album weren't too bad. it's just a shame that they're prolly brisbane's biggest band ever :o

oh, not darren hayes but the other one lived around the corner from me when i was 11/12

abcdefz
10-25-2006, 09:30 AM

*cough* The Band (minus Helm) *cough* Neil Young *cough* Joni Mitchell *ahem* kd lang

...on the minus side, you forgot *gag sputter* RUSH *ack!* :D

DroppinScience
10-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Don't forget *cough* Leonard Cohen! :cool:

HEIRESS
10-25-2006, 04:47 PM
I love it when I get to the "I want you" section on my ipod

:)

beastieangel01
10-25-2006, 05:49 PM
she's so heeeavaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

Rancid_Beasties
10-25-2006, 07:32 PM
*cough* The Band (minus Helm) *cough* Neil Young *cough* Joni Mitchell *ahem* kd lang

...on the minus side, you forgot *gag sputter* RUSH *ack!* :D
All of those are pretty big mehs compared to AC/DC, INXS (until a canadian ruined them), Johnnie O'Keefe, the Easybeats, The Bee Gees, Icehouse, Midnight Oil, Men at work, Hunters and collectors and silverchair. And thats just some.

mickill
10-25-2006, 09:19 PM
The Beatles version.

If I could add a few extra words, I'd nominate Elvis Presley's 'I Want You, I Need You, I Love You'. For 1956, that was a pretty sexually-charged vocal performance. Apart from its historical merits, it's also a very good song.

yeahwho
10-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Here is a complete different take on "I Want You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXdg1PS2KXI)" by Bob Dylan, it is pleading and hypnotic, the musicianship is brilliant, the bass surpasses Paul (AMAZING BASSWORK!) and the one hand drumming rhythm is awesome....it takes a little patience to let it gel, but when it does, you realize why Dylan ='s genius.

I'm biased as hell and guilty of dissecting Dylan to the nth degree, at the 4:34 mark when he sings, "She knows where I'd like to be, But it doesn't matter" It's a completlely different song with a completely different meaning than the 1966 song.

I am the biggest You Tube geek in the world now, that place rocks, I love the fact that I can't download for free but I can endlessly find musical gems like this I Need You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooxDUhso5HM&mode=related&search=)

*edit* Dig the volume knob work on that guitar....stoners

Ally Al
10-26-2006, 05:42 AM
[QUOTE=Rancid_Beasties] The Bee Gees, QUOTE]

?

The Bee Gee's are from the isle of mann originally, they lived in oz for a spell, they're not from australia

just saying

MC Moot
10-26-2006, 02:24 PM
...I forget usually how long and, frankly, AWESOME The Beatles' "I Want You" is, and the different shifts it goes through. Whew!

Trivia: George Harrison played a Moog synth on "I want You" it's one of the first "popular recorded" uses of the instrument, which was custom-made for Harrison....Billy Preston played the organ and it's the second longest Beatles song after "Revolution #9"