PDA

View Full Version : Australian Hip-Hop

Kid Presentable
10-26-2006, 06:04 AM
Now I've been pretty dismissive of most local stuff in the past, so I'd like a discussion of your favourite Oz rap acts, if you may. Just so I can get a feel for what's going on.

The closest thing to Australian hip-hop, that I like, would be The Avalanches. But only with Dexter.

icy manipulator
10-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Dexter is pretty mad. the only aussie rapper i really like is Bias B out of melbourne, i've got 2 of his cd's. There are some funny bastard's out there tho. Jam Roll by Hunter on the Culture of Kings 2 cd has to be one of the funniest songs i've ever heard

Kid Presentable
10-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Dexter is pretty mad. the only aussie rapper i really like is Bias B out of melbourne, i've got 2 of his cd's. There are some funny bastard's out there tho. Jam Roll by Hunter on the Culture of Kings 2 cd has to be one of the funniest songs i've ever heard
I like the battle cats. That dude who dressed up as Osama Bin Rappin almost got Justice.

hitmonlee
10-26-2006, 08:35 AM
i like all the typical stuff, hilltop hoods, downsyde, tzu, etc

Kid Presentable
10-26-2006, 08:47 AM
i like all the typical stuff, hilltop hoods, downsyde, tzu, etc
Whichever member of Downsyde used to call himself Shabbaz, is a pretty nice dude. I smoked a blunt with him when I first came here in 98.

Tzar
10-27-2006, 06:22 AM
hilltops will be top 'cause i seen them X many times live and they never dissapoint...

then the usual suspects; downsyde, bliss n eso, funkoars, TZU...

Pres Zount
10-27-2006, 06:28 AM
I don't really like australian hip-hop.

tracky
10-27-2006, 06:44 AM
nah aussie hip-hop doesn't sit right with me either, it's all a bit pretentious. but then i don't listen to much to make any significant judgement.

Tzar
10-27-2006, 07:03 AM
i listen to it, expecting "nothing", ya know?
there's no way an aussie mc is gonna be as great as any american rapper so i just don't have any expectations for it.

if it's got a funky beat and some silly rhymes about getting drunk - i'll enjoy it.

zorra_chiflada
10-27-2006, 07:34 AM
i don't like the uber strong accent australian mcs seem to put on.

hellojello
10-27-2006, 09:30 AM
i don't like the uber strong accent australian mcs seem to put on.
I dont think they do that intentionally - maybe some of them do- personally though I just think in contrast to most hip hop you hear it sounds really occa.

I find I like it because I can relate to it a whole lot more than that gangsta shit that predominatley comes out of the US.
Or maybe I've just heard too much mainstream stuff.
I dunno.

yooooo
10-27-2006, 09:35 AM
i like the hilltop hoods and i know 'the herd' but i think they suck.

Tzar
10-27-2006, 10:02 AM
jeez, i totally forgot about the herd. i did them.

Kid Presentable
10-27-2006, 11:40 AM
I dont think they do that intentionally - maybe some of them do- personally though I just think in contrast to most hip hop you hear it sounds really occa.

I find I like it because I can relate to it a whole lot more than that gangsta shit that predominatley comes out of the US.
Or maybe I've just heard too much mainstream stuff.
I dunno.
It's probably the mainstream thing, because most modern OZ hip-hop acts are biting the underground US scene circa 1999.

icy manipulator
10-27-2006, 12:00 PM
jeez, i totally forgot about the herd. i did them.
so gay, lolz

Gareth
10-27-2006, 05:55 PM
dont you guys like our artists more than your own?

zorra_chiflada
10-27-2006, 06:17 PM
dont you guys like our artists more than your own?

who, scribe?

nah

Gareth
10-27-2006, 06:46 PM
no? oh well.
he reminds me of a turtle

zorra_chiflada
10-27-2006, 06:49 PM
no? oh well.
he reminds me of a turtle

his neck does funny movements

Gareth
10-27-2006, 07:02 PM
savage is almost completely spherical

icy manipulator
10-27-2006, 09:14 PM
deceptikonz (sp?) were pretty good to see live at BDO

hitmonlee
10-27-2006, 09:51 PM
scribe is hot

nicest arms in hip hop
mmmmm (y)

Rancid_Beasties
10-28-2006, 11:56 PM
The avalanches nowadays are so far from hip hop its not funny, they are more like electro djs, i reckon their new album is gonna be along those lines.

I mean they're signed to modular for fucks sake.

TurdBerglar
10-29-2006, 12:03 AM
australian hip hop?

hahahaha

The Notorious LOL
10-29-2006, 12:32 AM
thanks turd...now I dont have to post that.

edit: if you would count the Avalanches as "hip hop" they iiiiiight!

edit: but I wouldnt so hahah

zorra_chiflada
10-29-2006, 12:33 AM
you guys are mean

hitmonlee
10-29-2006, 06:14 AM
personally i like the aussie accent in hip hop
and they rap about shit i identify with

american/uk stuff has better beats, but usually i dont dig the words
except female rappers from the uk (y)

hitmonlee
10-29-2006, 07:09 AM
watchin the arias

turns out i like bliss and eso, i just didn't know their name before
and i fogot pegz... back then was one of my votes for the hottest 100 last year

congrats to the hoods :cool:

scotty
10-29-2006, 07:19 PM
I like the Hilltops, Resin Dogs, The Herd. Urthboy is alright but can be lazy with his rhymes. Lazy Grey's not to bad either. Bliss n Eso if I'm in a forgiving mood. I don't like downsyde, and Scribe shits me to tears. I liked that Muph and Plutonic song, too. Pegz is alright, but probably past his prime.

I don't think theres anything wrong with the Aussie accent, I mean what are we going to do, its our fucking accent. I suspect peoples problem with it is more to do with cultural cringe than anything else. What pisses me off is people who adopt American accents, like Kasey fucking Chambers and Scribe do.

mikizee
10-29-2006, 09:53 PM
yeah i like funkoars, astronomy class, the herd, hilltops, downsyde.

hearing aussie mcs rap in an american accent makes me laugh, also makes me angry.

to quote the legendary mc fatface: 'i find your accents laughable to say the least'

and to you yanks, there is a ton of great aussie hip hop, most aussie stuff kicks over any US shit that is happening at the moment.

give us a go.

Kid Presentable
10-30-2006, 12:48 AM
The first Avalanches album >>> Most local stuff I've heard. That's only my opinion. But the easiest thing about it is there's no rapping on it.

hellojello
10-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Saying the Avalanches is hip-hop is like saying Butterfingers or Sonic Animation (theopolis thistler?) is hip-hop.
I still like all of them though. Well I only have one of the Avalanches' albums...possibly even their first...its yonks old..

Kid Presentable
10-30-2006, 02:02 AM
Avalanches to me are the closest thing to Australian hip-hop, that I can enjoy. Frontier Psychiatrist was a treat.

hellojello
10-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Yeah that's why I bought the album.
Back in the day..haha
Do you like Butterfingers? I think they're pretty good. Whatever the hell they're classed as, they're 'breakfast at fatboys album' was a bit of a mish-mash - rock, hiphop, paraodies, even a dnb track. Apparently they just put it all together see what took, well I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. They're perth boys aren't they?

Kid Presentable
10-30-2006, 02:13 AM
Yeah that's why I bought the album.
Back in the day..haha
Do you like Butterfingers? I think they're pretty good. Whatever the hell they're classed as, they're 'breakfast at fatboys album' was a bit of a mish-mash - rock, hiphop, paraodies, even a dnb track. Apparently they just put it all together see what took, well I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. They're perth boys aren't they?
Butterfingers are Brisabanian. I think they've made it a little too obvious they like the Beastie Boys in some of their songs. And they took New Zealand's unofficial national anthem (Jesus, I Was Evil-Darcy Clay RIP) and fucked it up the ass with a hammer.

Aside from that, I don't mind them.

hellojello
10-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Which song rips off the unoffical NZ athem? I'll have to play it to my housemate... shes from there.
Yeah not saying they're all that original but still it's not that bad I enjoyed their album and when I saw them live but they're hardly the greatest thing to come out of the Australian music scene. Don't know why I thought they were from Perth... guess just cause I knew they were from one of those insignificant cities aka not Melbourne or Sydney.
haha jk

hitmonlee
10-30-2006, 02:24 AM
butterfingers are hiphop... what else would they be?
i love butterfingers

hellojello
10-30-2006, 02:25 AM
butterfingers are hiphop... what else would they be?
i love butterfingers
I"ll have to get back to u after neighbors

hitmonlee
10-30-2006, 03:03 AM
i hate the new neighbours

Gareth
10-30-2006, 03:49 AM
Butterfingers...took New Zealand's unofficial national anthem (Jesus, I Was Evil-Darcy Clay RIP) and fucked it up the ass with a hammer.

audio??
i'm not sure what the official anthem is but it's prob by the exponents or possibly th'dudes.

Rancid_Beasties
10-30-2006, 06:11 AM
Well I only have one of the Avalanches' albums...possibly even their first...its yonks old..
Thats because they've only released one album i thought. They have one thats about to come out, but not till early next year.

hellojello
10-30-2006, 06:47 AM
i hate the new neighbours
yeah i know the new characters suck they're trying to be all home-and-away-esq way to hard I think.
There needs to be way more stories about harold and lou and lynne and joe sculley or joe mangle that's what makes neighbors neighbors
not the spiggen ...whoeverthehellthenewcharacters at toadies old place are

spiggen
get it

anywhooo

I counted up all the songs I'd class as hiphop on the breakfast at fatboys album, and I couldn't come up with erm, a whole lot to be honest.
I mean their band's made up of a guitar, a bass, some kazoos, drums, percussion and SOME (empahsis on the some) samples, and although a lot of the way whoever's on vocals sings could be classed as rap I wouldn't call them hiphop.

How about the intros to speak your mind and smell you on me? What is that meant to be?

Dont get me wrong I really like them, and I have no idea what they're classed as, but I'm pretty sure it isn't hiphop.

thoughts anyone?

@ rancid, that makes sense then. I'm glad everyone knows that album I'm talking about. Wtf have they been doing for the last 6 years? side projects?

hitmonlee
10-30-2006, 10:28 AM
well i haven't heard the whole album, the songs i know are basically rap/hip hop, their bio says they are hip hop.

would you call beastie boys hip hop? they have heaps of non hip hop but i guess i usually class a group based on what they are most well known as

hellojello
10-30-2006, 10:45 AM
well i haven't heard the whole album, the songs i know are basically rap/hip hop, their bio says they are hip hop.

would you call beastie boys hip hop? they have heaps of non hip hop but i guess i usually class a group based on what they are most well known as
yeah well i haven't heard butterfingers latest album. I think there's a new one out , isn't there?
But I've listened to breakfast at fatboys a million and one times and I still wouldn't say they're hiphop but yeah I would call the bboys hiphop.
w/e it's not all that important.
They're still a.o.k

Rancid_Beasties
10-30-2006, 07:55 PM
@ rancid, that makes sense then. I'm glad everyone knows that album I'm talking about. Wtf have they been doing for the last 6 years? side projects?

Well I've met pepperoni (toni diblasi) from the avalanches a few times and I'd have to say my answer to that would be drugs. Alot of drugs. Plus once dexter left they kinda turned from musicians to djs and just played alot of gigs. They started out as a punk group, went to hip hop, then went to sampling sorta chop shop stuff like their album, then they became full time djs, now they're getting into electro house sorta stuff.

hitmonlee
11-20-2006, 01:17 AM
like: the tongue
http://www.myspace.com/thetongue06

dislike: macromantics
http://www.myspace.com/macromantics

can't stand that apple crumble song

Otis Driftwood
11-20-2006, 04:30 AM
If I was in Oz, my crew name 'd be: The Wedge n Mighty... :rolleyes:

mikizee
11-20-2006, 05:00 AM
Refer to my other thread about the Funkoars. they have a really good album out.