PDA

View Full Version : The Official Beatles Thread

mikizee
10-30-2006, 09:20 PM
ok, so i didnt bother to search for any other beatles threads. whatever.

are you a fan?

favourite tracks?

mine at the moment (they change all the time) is blackbird, which is an awesome song, i actually played that and sang it at my friend's wedding! and rocky raccoon.

they really are timeless.

cosmo105
10-30-2006, 09:30 PM
i can't really respect someone that doesn't at least appreciate the beatles and their catalogue. not everything they made was amazing, but the sheer volume of what was is really unparalleled.

as far as choosing favorite tracks? difficult. changes from day to day and mood to mood for me. lately i've been on a white album kick.

i guess currently:

Across The Universe
Julia
I'm So Tired
Oh! Darling
Revolution
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Dear Prudence
For You Blue
I Am The Walrus
Lady Madonna

i maintain that In My Life is the greatest love song ever written.

hardcore fans probably don't really consider them viable, but i really liked the "anthology" songs made in the 90s. especially Real Love.

steger's pretty obsessed with them.

hitmonlee
10-30-2006, 09:34 PM
for noone
happiness is a warm gun
here, there and everywhere
long long long
sexy sadie

Kid Presentable
10-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Glass Onion
All you need is Love
I want you (She's so heavy)
Paperback Writer
Help!
Helter Skelter (of course)

among hundreds of others.

cosmo105
10-30-2006, 09:44 PM
see? that's just it. i love all of these.

Kid Presentable
10-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Helter Skelter is one of the greatest songs of all time.

I really like Come Together. Is that allowed in this era of shitty bar bands?

hitmonlee
10-30-2006, 09:53 PM
i used to love helter skelter but then they kept singing it on rockstar supernova and its become overplayed for me :(

Kid Presentable
10-30-2006, 09:54 PM
I love shit like I wanna hold your Hand, Twist And Shout, 8 days a week. All the older, Licensed to Ill style joints.

cosmo105
10-30-2006, 09:56 PM
seriously. it's like, how can you hear those and NOT get up and dance or at least sing along? they're just so spot-on.

Kid Presentable
10-30-2006, 10:00 PM
I like how they just gave up touring, too. That's a cool fucking move. Especially when you look at the output that followed.

DipDipDive
10-30-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm Only Sleeping is by far the most slept on Beatles song.

That's all I'm gonna say in this thread because coming up with a Beatles favorites list, be it songs, albums, or members, always proves to be extremely mentally taxing, and I just don't think I have that in me right now.

hitmonlee
10-30-2006, 10:23 PM
long, long, long

really, i love all the songs, but its mood dependent.

Lyman Zerga
10-30-2006, 10:32 PM
i like 'tomorrow never knows' and some other stuff

cant stand most of their biggest hits though

Mr Films
10-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Lovely Rita
Paperback Writer
Strawberry Fields Forever

and Twist and Shout for being awesome AND giving birth to one of the coolest movie sequences of all time.

pshabi
10-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Never love for Rocky Raccoon? I'm firing that one up right now.

hitmonlee
10-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Never love for Rocky Raccoon? I'm firing that one up right now.

its one of my favourites, but i didn't want to list too many songs from the white album.

DroppinScience
10-31-2006, 12:38 AM
Every "era" in their short career was amazing, but I have a soft spot for the early stuff and what I call their "in-between" days (when they were still mop-toppers, but were showing signs of experimentalism, a la "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver").

Favorite tracks? Well, let's just say stand-outs among stand-outs:

I Feel Fine
Michelle
Girl
You're Gonna Lose That Girl
Drive My Car
I Saw Her Standing There

etc.

For some reason, haven't really had an interest in the individual Beatle solo careers (though Lennon at the very least deserves some checking). :confused:

Kid Presentable
10-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Lennon is really the only one's solo work worth a listen.
Ya reckon?

:rolleyes:

cosmo105
10-31-2006, 01:23 AM
that's not entirely fair. george did some good stuff too.

Lyman Zerga
10-31-2006, 04:07 AM
george's music does more for me than john's

like seriously!

Drederick Tatum
10-31-2006, 05:39 AM
I've never heard anything by them.

mikizee
10-31-2006, 05:43 AM
ive never seen any star wars movies.

Lyman Zerga
10-31-2006, 08:40 PM
ive seen more beatles movies than star wars movies

b-grrrlie
11-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I remember seeing one of the Beatles movies on the telly when I was a kid and asked my parents "Why are those girls screaming so much?"
I learned to play music to Beatles' sheet music and they were always there when I grew up, but I didn't get all their albums until 1975, when Epe's had them all on sale.
I can't really say which track is my favourite, there's something for every occation, but then there's loads of moments reminding me about different tracks (especially from the time snogging with my first real boyfriend...).
My kid-sister always said she'd call her daughter Michelle, but then she only got sons...

DipDipDive
11-01-2006, 04:55 PM
ive seen more beatles movies than star wars movies

Me too Hi5z lol :o

The Notorious LOL
11-01-2006, 05:31 PM

BZZZZT! All Things Must Pass is the shit.

Bob
11-01-2006, 05:51 PM
a friend of mine is a huge (annoyingly huge) aerosmith fan (he doesn't even call them aerosmith, he just says "mr. tyler" god it's annoying) and he really hates the beatles. anyway he went to a concert and apparently they did a cover of helter skelter, which he did not recognize, not liking the beatles and all. and he's all excited, like "OH MY GOD NEW MR TYLER, NEW MR TYLER" and his girlfriend crushed him with the news

although i guess aerosmith probably would do a pretty good cover of helter skelter

The Notorious LOL
11-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Aerosmith doesnt do a good anything.

DipDipDive
11-01-2006, 06:03 PM
The only thing that pisses me off more than Aerosmith's cover of Helter Skelter is PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY ENJOY AEROFUCKINGSMITH.

The Notorious LOL
11-01-2006, 06:11 PM
I like Motley Crues cover of it

*hides*

DipDipDive
11-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Are you fucking kidding?

The Notorious LOL
11-01-2006, 06:12 PM
its on my Ipod.

DipDipDive
11-01-2006, 06:16 PM
You just flushed your musical credibility down the toilet.

The Notorious LOL
11-01-2006, 06:22 PM
it was flushed lonnnnnng ago. ;)

monkey
11-01-2006, 06:42 PM
i love everything beatles but when i really need to put a smile on my face, the first thing i play is good day sunshine. it reminds me of a beautiful sunday morning

DipDipDive
11-01-2006, 06:50 PM
i love everything beatles but when i really need to put a smile on my face, the first thing i play is good day sunshine. it reminds me of a beautiful sunday morning

That's how I feel about Dear Prudence. (y)

Documad
11-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I go through moods. I am in a very anti-Beatles place now. Paul's saggy face on all the tabloids isn't helping either.

P.S. Joe Perry used to look amazing in leather pants.

DipDipDive
11-01-2006, 08:05 PM
P.S. Joe Perry used to look amazing in leather pants.

Gross. :(

mickill
11-01-2006, 08:25 PM
How so? They all had lots of great solo work. Even Ringo.

Apart from all the usual suspects I guess I'm most particularly fond of Every Little thing, Ticket To Ride, Long, Long, Long, I Saw Her Standing There, Polythene Pam, Cry Baby Cry, And Your Bird Can Sing and Rain.

QueenAdrock
11-01-2006, 08:38 PM
HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN AND WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS!! <3

Kid Presentable
11-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I like Motley Crues cover of it

*hides*
Yeah, it's good.

Lyman Zerga
11-01-2006, 09:03 PM
*high5*

i like the u2 cover of happiness is a warm gun

*hides NOT*

my sister is a beatles hater but she doesnt like aerosmith either

monkey
11-01-2006, 09:07 PM
HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN AND WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS!! <3

those are two of my faves too. damn. and norwegian wood. and with a little help from my friends (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poUoCggQZd0). i put on the beatles because of this thread and im gonna start writing all the songs down as i listen to them and thats bad. ok. bye.

mickill
11-01-2006, 09:27 PM
I think that as far as "best" Beatles songs go, it'd be hard to narrow it down to, say, an essential 10. But I think it should go something like:

10 Revolution
09 I Am The Walrus
08 Here Comes The Sun
07 Dear Prudence
06 Tomorrow Never Knows
05 Happiness Is A Warm Gun
04 Helter Skelter
03 While My Guitar Gently Weeps
02 In My Life
01 A Day In The Life/Strawberry Fields Forever

hitmonlee
11-01-2006, 10:54 PM
My kid-sister always said she'd call her daughter Michelle, but then she only got sons...

i grew up with a girl called penny lane.
her sisters' names were prudence and lucy.

i also had a friend with a dog called diamond and a cat called lucy.

Documad
11-02-2006, 12:19 AM
How so? They all had lots of great solo work. Even Ringo.

Ha! I was going to say, "even Ringo had some good solo stuff".

Can't Buy Me Love was one of the first 7"s that I played to death. I found it in my brothers' pile of singles when I was a small child.

I have never liked the white album. Thus my copy is in mint condition. I also hate most of Sgt. Peppers. Yet most of the time I am a huge Beatles fan.

b-grrrlie
11-02-2006, 03:13 PM
I totally love Sgt Peppers!!
Fixing A Hole, She's Leaving Home, A Day In The Life. Still give me shivers!

I once downloaded loads of different versions of Helter Skelter (can't remember whose I really needed) and I had no idea there was so many of them! :eek:

And of all the solo stuff: I've always been partial to Paul and Ringo. I really loved Wings' Band on the run and Venus and Mars. Classics!

saz
11-03-2006, 07:10 PM
even mccartney's first two solo albums, 'mccartney' and 'ram' are good, before he got into the wings cheese.

i really dig their revolver-magical mystery tour revolutionary phase. george was such an underrated guitarist...he played some great licks on good morning good morning.

Lyman Zerga
11-03-2006, 07:51 PM
and for the record George was the best looking one

not that it matters anymore

Lyman Zerga
11-03-2006, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5sc5Ktbs64

that video kinda cracks me up

damn parrot! damn squirrel!

saz
11-03-2006, 08:35 PM
holy 80s memories

i remember when it came out and was always on the radio

fuck i'm old

b-grrrlie
11-04-2006, 04:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5sc5Ktbs64

that video kinda cracks me up

damn parrot! damn squirrel!When I was an au pair in London the kid in the house loved that one! I always thought it was badly done...

venusvenus123
11-04-2006, 05:58 PM
a friend of mine is a huge (annoyingly huge) aerosmith fan (he doesn't even call them aerosmith, he just says "mr. tyler" god it's annoying) and he really hates the beatles. anyway he went to a concert and apparently they did a cover of helter skelter, which he did not recognize, not liking the beatles and all. and he's all excited, like "OH MY GOD NEW MR TYLER, NEW MR TYLER" and his girlfriend crushed him with the news

although i guess aerosmith probably would do a pretty good cover of helter skelter
you should probably drill holes in this guy's head. he deserves it.

Jitters
11-04-2006, 09:26 PM
cant stand most of their biggest hits though

but everything they did was a big hit...........:p

A few years ago I was a Beatlemaniac, I was obsessed, I even had the mop-top hair. I was still young and had never heard anything like it, the music was positively mind-blowing

For some reason I sold a bunch of their stuff (I think I was strapped for cash) but after getting a turntable a while back I decided to go back and collect their records.

I'm not quite as crazy over them as I used to be but I still love to put on their records when I have some free time.

Lyman Zerga
11-04-2006, 11:31 PM
i really hate 'get back' and 'let it be'

love me do
hard days night
cant buy me love.. stuff like that never did much for me

i prefer their druggie sounding music

mikizee
11-05-2006, 02:27 AM
i just bought $1400 turntable so i can listen to the beatles in their better sounding glory.

my current turntable is worth $40. hopefully i will hear the difference.

Guy Incognito
11-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Anyone who says they dont like the Beatles is saying it for effect. Its quite ok to say that the music doesnt totally get you going but the songs are that good that you can still appreciate the craft. If we are going for lists then:

1.Ticket To Ride
2.Paperbackwriter
3.Lovely Rita
4.Hey Jude
5.Dear Prudence
6.HArd Days Night
7.Tomorrow Never Knows
8.Drive My Car
9.Day In The Life
10.You Got To Hide Your Love Away

The mid period stuff is my fave