PDA

View Full Version : De La Soul or Tribe Called Quest?

Kid Presentable
10-31-2006, 01:31 AM
Pretty self-explanatory.

Maybe 15-20 posts worth of criteria-basing will set this off right.

ericlee
10-31-2006, 01:33 AM
digable planets

Edit: Dela for sure.

DroppinScience
10-31-2006, 01:35 AM
Immensely tough and I'd have to listen to both more closely, but De La Soul has one flawless record.

Tribe Called Quest have two ("Low End Theory" and "Midnight Marauders"), so for that reason, it'll have to be Tribe.

ericlee
10-31-2006, 01:38 AM
I always though The Love Movement was pretty flawless.

Man, this is tough. 3Ft high and rising and De La Soul is dead are two great and classic c.d's as well.

Kid Presentable
10-31-2006, 01:40 AM
Don't forget Buhloone.

ggirlballa
10-31-2006, 01:54 AM
i don't listen to De La Soul a lot (they're on my "Older Hip Hop I Need to Discover" list) so i don't know if i should vote

I <3 Tribe though

TimDoolan
10-31-2006, 02:02 AM
I just know Qtip so I voted for Quest.

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-31-2006, 02:06 AM
De La...but not by much. Both groups are amazing and did alot for hip hop, so it's hard to make a choice.

Best De La album: De La Soul Is Dead

Best Tribe Album: The Low End Theory/Midnight Marauders

Kid Presentable
10-31-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm a huge De La mark, but Tip and Phife AT THE TIME were the better M.C's (circa 90-93). De La probably made the better music at that point, so it's close as shit.

Tzar
10-31-2006, 02:16 AM
ATCQ

De La are top shit, but... just seem softer.
nothing to do with quality here; i just prefer a sense of aggression in all the music i listen to. i can't feel it in De La.

yooooo
10-31-2006, 07:27 AM
harder question than the wutang v. the roots one...

id go with atcq

Jitters
10-31-2006, 01:33 PM
I really like Tribe but I don't really know much about De La so I'll go with Tribe. I'm definitely going to be checking De La out sooner or later though.

Gareth
10-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Immensely tough and I'd have to listen to both more closely, but De La Soul has one flawless record.

which one is flawless?

DroppinScience
10-31-2006, 01:42 PM
which one is flawless?

Oh come on. You know the answer to this question.

roosta
10-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Dont say 3 feet high...please. Biggest cliché ever is that that album is perfect.

One word...SKITS.

DroppinScience
10-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Dont say 3 feet high...please. Biggest cliché ever is that that album is perfect.

One word...SKITS.

But is there another album De La did that can be called "perfect"? After that album, they haven't been known for consistency.

roosta
10-31-2006, 02:14 PM
But is there another album De La did that can be called "perfect"? After that album, they haven't been known for consistency.

who said De La Soul had to have made a perfect album?

You dont call an album perfect based on comparisons to latter works, you classify an album as perfect if thats what it is, by itself and on its own merits, and for me at least, the skits fail that album on that count.

Guy Incognito
10-31-2006, 03:07 PM
I reckon De La have a better back catalogue but Q tip does have the best voice and rhymes out of the two bands.

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-31-2006, 04:36 PM
You have to respect 3 Feet for breaking new ground, and it's importance at the time. But in my opinion, De La Soul Is Dead was a deeper and better record.

Oh yeah, and there is definately some "aggression" in later De La efforts...

Bob
10-31-2006, 04:42 PM

One word...SKITS.

i'm glad to hear somebody else say that. i was beginning to fear that i just didn't "get it" or something. i mean skits in general are annoying, but that album is just like skit after skit after skit after skit, it's more skit than music, at least that's what it feels like. maybe i'm being petty but it gets in the way for me

BroomHead
10-31-2006, 06:23 PM
De La are just consistent as hell. I even like their new record. And I always liked how they had a story to go with their records. Sort of like a loose concept for each. De La is Dead was about destroying the hippie label. Buhloone was about staying grounded. Stakes was all about the state of hip hop and criticising that whole mafia-influenced rap. I don't know, De La just takes it.

i'm glad to hear somebody else say that. i was beginning to fear that i just didn't "get it" or something. i mean skits in general are annoying, but that album is just like skit after skit after skit after skit, it's more skit than music, at least that's what it feels like. maybe i'm being petty but it gets in the way for me

Isn't De La credited for being the inventors of skits?

The Notorious LOL
10-31-2006, 06:31 PM
3 feet high and rising isnt bad but its pretty hippyish at times. I kinda like it. Its not their best album though regardless of what Rolling Stone says.

Kid Presentable
10-31-2006, 09:30 PM
3 feet was like a comedy tape when I was a kid. The skits were funny, and a really vital part of the album.

mickill
10-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Tribe have 2 excellent albums, 2 good albums and 1 less than perfect one.

De La have 3 excellent albums, 3 good ones and one less than perfect one.

Black Sheep have one near perfect album and one less than perfect one.

I guess De La overall.

Deep_Sea_Rain
11-01-2006, 03:31 AM
Yeah...if we're talking about a track record, as far as solid albums are concerned, De La comes out on top.

De La
3 Feet...amazing.
De La Is Dead....their best.
Buhloone....not bad, but my least favorite.
Stakes....good, but nothing mind blowing.
Mosaic Thump....great album.
Bionix.....also a great album.
Grind Date.....very solid.

Tribe
People's Instinctive....great album.
Low End...mind blowing.
Midnight....just as mind blowing.
Beats and Rhymes...good, just not even close to their previous two.
Love Movement....apart from a few good tracks, a let down.

Kid Presentable
11-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Tribe stopped making them, though.

mickill
11-01-2006, 08:29 PM
I think A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing is more consistently impressive than either of De La Or Tribe's best albums.

Kid Presentable
11-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I suppose it's not bad.

The Notorious LOL
11-01-2006, 09:15 PM
yeah if Black Sheep woulda been included in this poll that would have been my vote.

The best track on there is "For Doz Dat Slept"

mickill
11-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Most of it's pretty timeless. La Menage is probably my favorite track.

The album's like a perfect balance between De La Soul Is Dead and Midnight Marauders. It's got the offbeat/clever humor, the creative/original concepts and the straight ahead rugged beats, minus the frequent unnecessary intermissions. Lawnge also rhymes better than Phife.

ggirlballa
11-03-2006, 01:33 AM
man i'm pissed i bought the Tribe Anthology last sunday & i didn't listen to it & today my brother comes home from work & says "have u checked your Quest CD?" "no" "well its broken", turns out that it was packaged with a fuckin hole in it & nothing reads it:mad:

& i don't have the receipt it was from the Virgin Megastore!

Tompz
11-03-2006, 01:28 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh such an even poll