PDA

View Full Version : GRE and grad school stuff

milleson
01-19-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm gonna up the nerd ante on this board.

Have many of you guys taken the GRE?

If so, how was it?

Lastly, did you take the general or subject exam, or both?

I scheduled mine today, and I'm already nervous about it.

QueenAdrock
01-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Don't need the GRE's in Canada. :cool:

This wasn't helpful, was it?

milleson
01-20-2007, 12:54 AM
Not particularly. :mad:

;)

jabumbo
01-20-2007, 01:42 AM
in april i am taking the FE exam so that i can become an EIT so that in about 5 or 6 years i can take another rediculous test to become a PE.

once that happens, i'll actually be able to design my own shit and then get sued when it fails

milleson
01-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Man, the PE test IS ridiculous!

Good luck on that one.

Bob
01-20-2007, 11:47 AM
i took the LSAT for law school, which is not the same thing as the GRE at all as far as I know, so i'm probably not being too helpful. but, as far as studying goes, i found the best thing to do was to just take a bunch of practice exams. if there's a time limit on the real test, then make sure you time yourself too, since alot of the challenge of the LSAT at least was not just doing the work, but doing it quickly.

i think i took about 3 practice exams, and it helped a lot.

Documad
01-20-2007, 05:26 PM
The GRE seems really difficult to me. My friend studied vocabulary on flashcards for months, but she did pretty well. I think I'm fairly well read, but the vocabulary words in her workbook were scary.

QueenAdrock
01-20-2007, 06:30 PM
That's funny because I remember my friend going through some of the harder vocabulary words and some of them were ridiculously easy. Like boorish, ulterior, embezzle...stuff like that.

Documad
01-20-2007, 07:19 PM
I've wondered about that. Whenever I see the GRE words on the internet in sample quizzes, they look much easier than I remember, but my friend's flashcards were so hard that we used to laugh at them. Did the test get easier, or did she have a bad set of prep materials? I don't think I've gotten smarter in the past 7 years.

milleson
01-21-2007, 04:57 PM
The 'free' internet resources make the test look flippin' easy.

But heeding Bob's suggestion I downloaded practice tests (I actually forked over money for them), and they are far more difficult. I'm hoping they are more accurate representations of the real deal.

Bob
01-21-2007, 05:26 PM
yeah, when i was studying for the LSAT i actually went out and bought a practice book. you can find them in the study aids section of a barnes and noble or something, they've got them for the GRE too. i'd say it definitely helped a little. mostly for the practice tests, though. it's just such an advantage to not have to go in blind, you know?

milleson
02-16-2007, 12:14 PM
*walks out the door to take the test*

(I'm gonna murder it, too)

hopefully