PDA

View Full Version : I picked the wrong profession

ericlee
01-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Or I should have titled this as "I'm extremely jealous of my wife".

She's a journalist and I think I should have picked the same job.

She gets to walk around town, look for something that's semi interesting and go back to the office and write about it. It then appears in the newspaper, sometimes front page.

She makes a very decent hourly wage and on top of that, her company pays her $700 a month- just for food. She can be off duty and we'll go to expensive restaurants, she'll bring the reciept (including $30 french wine that we usually drink) to her company and they'll reimburse her for it, up to $700.

They also supply her with a mobile phone with unlimited minutes and she's got a brand new Canon 7.2 mp camera for her shots when she makes a story.

My job is ok. I like to help people out and alot of my duties include helping people but my wife's job is the shit!

Anyone else regretting their choice in a career?

Deep_Sea_Rain
01-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Or I should have titled this as "I'm extremely jealous of my wife".

She's a journalist and I think I should have picked the same job.

She gets to walk around town, look for something that's semi interesting and go back to the office and write about it. It then appears in the newspaper, sometimes front page.

She makes a very decent hourly wage and on top of that, her company pays her $700 a month- just for food. She can be off duty and we'll go to expensive restaurants, she'll bring the reciept (including $30 french wine that we usually drink) to her company and they'll reimburse her for it, up to $700.

They also supply her with a mobile phone with unlimited minutes and she's got a brand new Canon 7.2 mp camera for her shots when she makes a story.

My job is ok. I like to help people out and alot of my duties include helping people but my wife's job is the shit!

What is this "career" you speak of?

OPINIONTRON 800
01-30-2007, 08:12 PM
OPINIONTRON 800

OPINE_7.71 OPERATING SYSTEM

Bob
01-30-2007, 08:13 PM
fuck, i should've been a whatever your wife is, i already forgot

11 hours of law school today and i still didn't get everything done that i wanted to and i guess i'm regretting my path a little at the moment but eh, i'll get used to it

OPINIONTRON 800
01-30-2007, 08:16 PM
WRONG. BY THE TIME YOU ARE USED TO IT YOU WILL HAVE COMPLETED YOUR STUDIES. FAULTY OPINION CORRECTED

ericlee
01-30-2007, 08:17 PM
What is this "career" you speak of?

what, mine? Or do you mean that you've got a job and not a career?

Yeah alot of people don't have a career yet and are doing odd jobs till they get their schooling done.

I haven't gone to school for what I do but I've got over 10 years actual experience in it. If I were to go to school for a different profession, it would be waste of time for what I've already acquired but I'm bored with it.

QueenAdrock
01-30-2007, 09:28 PM
The job I'm at now may or may not be my future profession, depending on if I get into the grad programs I applied to. I applied for Library and Information Science (so I'll be a certified librarian) and also to the History program (I'd learn about Cold War-era American military history). A grad degree in history could be more flexible, but my MLIS would give me a definite career path to focus on. The only question is whether or not I'd be happy as a librarian. I'm a research assistant in a library now and I love it a lot, so I figure librarian would be a good fit. History would basically allow me to become a higher-level research assistant. I don't know what I want. :(

But right now, I like my job. Hi5. Let's not think about the future.

Deep_Sea_Rain
01-30-2007, 11:04 PM
what, mine? Or do you mean that you've got a job and not a career?

Yeah alot of people don't have a career yet and are doing odd jobs till they get their schooling done.

I haven't gone to school for what I do but I've got over 10 years actual experience in it. If I were to go to school for a different profession, it would be waste of time for what I've already acquired but I'm bored with it.

I was just bein' sarcastic with ya mang, as I haven't exactly made up my mind what I want to do yet. I'm a jack of a few trades, and I want to be a really good jack at one trade.

Rock
01-30-2007, 11:09 PM
recently its been like the past 3 years of the 9 years with the company I work for has been one giant regret. But i plan on changing that this weekend to look at my options.

ericlee
01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
recently its been like the past 3 years of the 9 years with the company I work for has been one giant regret. But i plan on changing that this weekend to look at my options.

You play bass, I play guitar. I'm getting a drum machine too. Let's just drop all the shit and jam out together. We'll live off of cover charges and 50 year old snatch.

ggirlballa
01-31-2007, 12:30 AM
no i don't regret being a rockstar:rolleyes:

..*sigh* :/

OPINIONTRON 800
01-31-2007, 04:38 AM
WRONG. IT IS COMMONLY ACCEPTED THAT MOST JOURNALISTS SUFFER FROM STATUS-INCOME DISEQUILIBRIUM. WHILE THEY HAVE PRESTIGE THEY LACK JOB SECURITY THROUGH OUTDATED AND UNFAIR UNION LAWS. THEY ARE EXPLOITED THROUGH THE BARBARIC LOW WAGE, LONG HOURS ECONOMY. OPINIONTRON 800 HAS CONCLUDED LIFE PARTNER OF ERICLEE IS THE EXCEPTION TO THE WELL-VERSED RULE.

Pres Zount
01-31-2007, 04:42 AM
That sounds like it could be a compliment.