PDA

View Full Version : I was spoiled by having a cool boss

The Notorious LOL
02-12-2007, 05:36 PM
My new boss is a micromanager and so far its pissed me off twice in a short span of time.

she got on me once about smoking, but fails to acknowledge that everyone else also leaves their desk for short periods of time (smoking takes me almost no time) and it doesn't interfere with the job. Oh, I also forgot to mention that she manages a department that she has never worked in, and does not even fully understand what is involved.

Today she sent me an email to remind me of the "discussion" we had last week about leaving my desk and to reply to the email to confirm I received it. I deleted it.

Whenever I have bosses like this it tends to end fairly quickly simply because I eventually get fed up with them and tell them in the most humane, professional way possible to fuck off. Thus far, it has seemed to actually work for me without being demoted or fired.

The Notorious LOL
02-12-2007, 05:45 PM
no I switched departments at my job.

Schmeltz
02-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Your boss is right, smoking is for chumps.

The Notorious LOL
02-12-2007, 05:49 PM
nice irrelevant post, shitpants.

Today I was away from my desk conducting bidness, NOT smoking. Other smokers in the department do the same thing. Its actually kind of amusing that I may have annoyed her a bit. I sort of enjoy confrontation.

Schmeltz
02-12-2007, 05:52 PM
You seem grouchy. Go inhale some carcinogenic toxins so you feel better.

The Notorious LOL
02-12-2007, 05:54 PM
nah Im feelin just fine.

Skye, I did not quit. Had I quit, I would not have referenced smoking in the first post.

DIGI
02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
HA! Yeah, Fudgebob Shitpants!!

ericlee
02-12-2007, 06:17 PM
I think Skye is thinking of me.

You should have sent a pic of you taking a drag for a reply email.

ericlee
02-12-2007, 06:38 PM
why did you start again?

I didn't start again. I'm on 25 days smoke free. I think 25 days but I don't plan on starting back up.

ericlee
02-12-2007, 06:39 PM
wrong thread...durrrr

QueenAdrock
02-12-2007, 07:08 PM
The dentist I work for is a micromanager. He'll stand over me when I make phone calls and write stuff down on a piece of paper he wants me to ask, and it's really obnoxious because HEY, WHY DONT YOU CALL INSTEAD AND TALK TO THEM INSTEAD OF USING ME AS A PUPPET? Plus, he's kinda crazy. One time someone called when I was in the back and I missed it (just barely) so he looked at the caller ID and had me call them back to see what they wanted (without their name). So I call up and they answer "Days Inn, can I help you?" "Uh, yeah, did someone call a dentist?" "Can you be more specific? Do you know which room?" "No." "...Do you have a name?" "No." "Then how did you get this number?" "Caller ID." "Oh. Um, sorry, can't help you." I know I sounded like an idiot AND a stalker, but my boss was standing right over me and I did just what he asked. I made a point of sounding retarded, so he could see how dumb it was. When I hung up, he looked kinda sheepish and said "Oh, well, I'd rather that happen than lose a patient."

You. Crazy. Asshole.

It helps pay the bills for now, at least.

Documad
02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I am now in charge of people who work on things that I've never done. I don't really understand substance of what they do. Most of them are older than me.

I have learned several things in the past month: (1) I was the best employee in the history of the world; (2) I never appreciated my old manager enough and (3) people treat you differently when you're the boss.

Kid Presentable
02-12-2007, 08:39 PM
For about 6 weeks I micromanaged (at a pub lol it still counts) one person to the point where they quit. That's what the owners wanted, though.

Dorothy Wood
02-12-2007, 09:49 PM
my boss was horrible for the first few months, but once you stand up to him, he takes it easier on you. or at least me. because I rule. and he smokes, he takes breaks all the time because he has ADD. we get along pretty well because we're both kind of jerky and like to make fun of people. :cool: and we have the same birthday.

Documad
02-12-2007, 09:56 PM
For about 6 weeks I micromanaged (at a pub lol it still counts) one person to the point where they quit. That's what the owners wanted, though.
I have the opposite problem. One of the people I supervise WANTS to be micromanaged. I am trying to figure out his game. Is he leaving a papertrail for some kind of nuttiness that's in store? He sends me emails all the time saying "I understand that I am not to work on XYZ project and so I will not do so unless you tell me otherwise." And I have to reply "I have not instructed you to do that. I expect you to use your own judgment in deciding how to adequately manage all of your projects." He also asks me the same question at least once every day.

Kid Presentable
02-12-2007, 10:04 PM
I have the opposite problem. One of the people I supervise WANTS to be micromanaged. I am trying to figure out his game. Is he leaving a papertrail for some kind of nuttiness that's in store? He sends me emails all the time saying "I understand that I am not to work on XYZ project and so I will not do so unless you tell me otherwise." And I have to reply "I have not instructed you to do that. I expect you to use your own judgment in deciding how to adequately manage all of your projects." He also asks me the same question at least once every day.
I feel like a garbageman giving advice to a doctor, but he might just want you to be accountable for his fuck ups.

Documad
02-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I feel like a garbageman giving advice to a doctor, but he might just want you to be accountable for his fuck ups.
Well, I appreciate the advice. This is my first job as a supervisor. I've never even hired a kid to mow my lawn.

He is very experienced, so it blows my mind. He also plays stupid. I think he's trying really really hard to make sure that I don't give him any new job duties. And that's not going to work.

ericlee
02-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Well, I appreciate the advice. This is my first job as a supervisor. I've never even hired a kid to mow my lawn.

He is very experienced, so it blows my mind. He also plays stupid. I think he's trying really really hard to make sure that I don't give him any new job duties. And that's not going to work.

If you're cool with him and let him know that you understand that he's been in the field longer than you but yet, you're the supervisor and also eager to learn from him then things should be allright.

I've had too many cases where people would take over and just strut around only showing off their authority. Simple conversations towards them only got ignored but when something vital towards the job would arrise, they'd ask us about it because they have no experience and we'd be like, durrrrrr?