PDA

View Full Version : Apparently i emit too many emissions

Yorkshire~Rose
03-30-2007, 01:23 PM
I went to sort the road tax out for my car today and found that the price had gone up since the budget.

My little Ford Fiesta is now apparently a polluting beast and 6 months tax cost me £90.75. My husband's travel-to-work car (a rusty old Hyundai) only costs him £60 for 6 months. The woman in the post office said that if i got a Toyota Yaris Diesel it would only cost me £35 a YEAR!

I wouldn't mind so much if my car was some huge gas guzzling 4x4...but it's not.

No chance of changing my car for another 3 years too so i guess i'm stuck with it.

Anyone else been hit hard with the increase in road tax?

What about in other countries? Do you have road tax? Do you get penalised for having a car with high emissions?

Just posted this in bloody sure shots too - ignore that one!

Rock
03-30-2007, 01:31 PM
I was watching a movie and one character said "She's got wind. you have to wind her, she's got wind" or something like that. And as soon he said that, i let out a ripper and said, "I do too". It was funny to me, but not my sister. Too many emissions.

I think emissions laws may vary state by state here in the US.

In Virginia you have to get it tested every two years. If you don't pass, your inspection fails and you have to get it fixed and then reinspected. I don't think there is any additional tax for it though.

Nivvie
03-30-2007, 02:28 PM
What size engine is your fiesta?

We have a crappy 10 year old 1.4 Astra that's £60 for 6 months, and my even more ancient Volvo (that I love dearly and is nearly old enough to qualify as classic) has always been the £90 every six months jobby.

The Volvo only does a few thousand miles a year so I wish they'd put the extra tax on fuel, but then I am enjoying these 4X4 owners having to pya £400 a year tax.
My manager is one of them, and I don't like her, so *blows raspberry* to her.

Yorkshire~Rose
03-30-2007, 02:29 PM
It's a 1.3 Fiesta Flight. Nothing fancy or sporty.

Nivvie
03-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Then that sucks badly.
(n)

They should just go by engine size, all these new emission guidelines are too confusing. People just need to know one rule, small car, cheap tax.

You should drive down to Wales and moon the DVLA.

Yorkshire~Rose
03-30-2007, 02:49 PM
That's a very good idea :D

I thought it went on engine size...shows how much i know really!

sercomdj01
03-30-2007, 02:52 PM
hi katy how are you i'm verydrunk.

Yorkshire~Rose
03-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Hey Danny! Long time no speak! I'm fine thanks - hows things in scouseland? :)

jabumbo
03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
that sure seems like a lot of money to me!

i know people here like to complain about how much it costs to drive around, but its certainly nothing to what you europeans have to shell out. it sort of amuses me when people here get so riled up about it.

mp-seventythree
03-30-2007, 04:22 PM
The reason your car is now in a higher tax bracket is because your car's engine was designed about 30 years ago, and how much it polluted wasn't really a concern then. Now we're all being shafted.

I was lucky cos i sold my Lexus, which cost nearly £200 a year, and got a Golf Tdi, which is about £110.
My dad just found out his 4x4 is going to be £400 a year from now on, even though it has almost the same engine as my car.

I think we Brits get ass-raped by our government with pretty much everything:mad:

Nivvie
03-30-2007, 04:34 PM
The reason your car is now in a higher tax bracket is because your car's engine was designed about 30 years ago, and how much it polluted wasn't really a concern then. Now we're all being shafted.

And the mad thing is I own a car which really is crap on fuel and emissions with no cat and a way bigger engine but being registered before such and such date my tax has only gone up about two quid.

mp-seventythree
03-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah that's another ridiculous thing. You can drive a 35 year old Land Rover, which is a big heavy 4x4 and extremely polluting, and you get your tax disc for free!

This shit wouldn't be so bad if public transport was viable in this country, but our beloved government dicked around with it, it's all owned and run by private companies trying to make a profit. And none of it works, at all:(

b i o n i c
03-30-2007, 05:07 PM
i thought this thread was going to be about flatulance