PDA

View Full Version : So peace is at odds with...

D_Raay
04-06-2007, 04:42 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6532045.stm

US Vice-President Dick Cheney has accused House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of "bad behaviour" for holding talks with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

After the talks, Ms Pelosi said she was pleased with assurances that she had received from the Syrian leader.

"He's ready to engage in negotiations for peace with Israel," she said. "The meeting with the president enabled us to communicate a message from Prime Minister Olmert that Israel was ready to engage in peace talks as well."

But a statement from Mr Olmert's office later said that Ms Pelosi's comments did not indicate any change in Israeli policy.

"To carry out real peace negotiations Syria must cease its support for terrorism," the statement said.

Mr Cheney said that the Israeli reaction indicated the message had not been authorised.

"It was a non-statement, nonsensical statement and didn't make any sense at all that she would suggest that those talks could go forward as long as the Syrians conducted themselves as a prime state sponsor of terror," he said.

"I think it is, in fact, bad behaviour on her part. I wish she hadn't done it."

But Brendan Daly, a spokesman for Ms Pelosi, said that she accurately relayed a tough message that included a demand for Syria to "eliminate its links with extremist elements".

I don't know about you, but this gets me steamed. This a blatant attempt to halt any possible peace talks between the very people that MOST need to be talking about peace.

I applaud the Democrats for circumventing the present bunch of fools who roam the halls of the white house and trying to get something done for our sakes'.

It takes courage for Nancy Pelosi to do this, also probably a bit of bravado, but the ends here certainly justify the means.
For Cheney to say this doesn't "make sense at all" should assure us of the agenda we all know to well at this stage. And the endless wars he and his cohorts would like to burden us with.

kaiser soze
04-06-2007, 11:59 AM
why the fuck are these people 1) lying out their asses and 2) taking a massive bite out of diplomacy and foreign policy

it's starting (or has been for years) to show that this war of choice and the overall incursion into the middle east is strictly for war profiteering and oil control. I believe bush and cheney fear something within our own government and are lashing out like rabid animals.....hasn't anyone noticed the foaming at the mouth?

this also undermines Iran's gesture of releasing the British soldiers