PDA

View Full Version : Sound Team and Sloan

abcdefz
04-11-2007, 10:58 AM
...anybody else care for Sound Team? I'm trying out some "new" stuff, and I really like this "Movie Monster."

Sloan's "Action Pact" is the other. I've only heard a couple of songs before my office mate came in and I figured I should turn it down. But, so far so good.

MC Moot
04-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Sloan is fantastic...."Twice Removed" is a classic....along with "One Chord to Another"......"Never Hear the End of It" is fresh goodness as well....you may be interested in "A Side Wins: Singles 1992-2005" great compilation/overview of the very best thing to come out of Halifax ever....Chris Murphy is easily the funniest musician I have ever met....(y)

abcdefz
04-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Funniest?

Funnier than Bono!? :D

MC Moot
04-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Funniest?

Funnier than Bono!? :D

Bono was not funny he was gamy as my Jamaican comrade observed "Him the rock star? No say dat...Him need a bath..." at the time he was the fly and I think he was trying to beat Morrisons record for the most number of days a man can continuously wear leather pants....:eek:

abcdefz
04-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I was kinda kidding. :o

MC Moot
04-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I was kinda kidding. :o

oh yes,I know, but i wasn't.....;)

abcdefz
04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah -- what hurts Bono is that he really doesn't have a sense of humor. He thought that whole Fly thing/inflated rock star persona was somehow witty, and it wasn't. At all.

MC Moot
04-11-2007, 12:11 PM
I kinda liked the incarnation of The Fly persona.....I know he was trying to create a devilover one shoulder/ angel over the other kinda thing….the fly was his excuse to indulge in the excess of the business/lifestyle while trying out a Ziggie Stardust trip….almost cost him his wife...the music and shows that came out the Achtung Baby/Zoo T.V period were probably that bands sharpest,leanest and meanest period…but when he morphed into that Macphisto character things got seriously sketchy…..

abcdefz
04-11-2007, 12:31 PM
I guess it just seemed too obvious and derivative to me. And kind of weak. I mean, if you want to debauch, any rock and roll man with his stripes wouldn't need a persona for some limp ass excuse.

MC Moot
04-11-2007, 12:39 PM
:) I guess it just seemed too obvious and derivative to me. And kind of weak. I mean, if you want to debauch, any rock and roll man with his stripes wouldn't need a persona for some limp ass excuse.

Well,the point being he's not just "any rock and roll man" he's ohhh so sensitive and wracked with Catholic guilt.....:D ....Did you see them live during that period? Nothing derivative about those gigs....other than the fact they stole every stage element from the Talking Head's "Stop Making Sense" possible....

abcdefz
04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Nah -- that was after I'd lost interest. But you say it's good stuff, huh?

I saw them on the Yeshua Tree tour, and it was a good show.

MC Moot
04-11-2007, 02:02 PM
oh yeah,I didn't dig them till that era.....Live it was spine tingling stuff....one night Public Enemy would open then the next night would be The Sugarcubes and the next Beck....the use of media and live imagery,from little booths set around the floor was amazing....plus before the shows the band would often dress up in clown costumes and mingle with the audience....it's a shame you missed the Pop tour where the entire show was designed around and co-created with Roy Lichtenstein graphics....the last project he did,I believe....you'd have appreciated that,I'm thinking.....(y)

http://www.lichtensteinfoundation.org/

abcdefz
04-11-2007, 02:04 PM
I like a bunch of his stuff. I've been lucky enough to see some in person, too, which is nice.

HEIRESS
04-11-2007, 02:29 PM
I goddamn love sloan
and yeah, chris murphy is pretty much pure comedy anytime he is interviewed etc etc.

"pretty together" "between the bridges" and "action pact" are their weakest albums
not saying they shite or anything, just that they arent my favorites

their latest "never hear the end of it" is pretty damn good, and a good buy because there are like a bagillion songs on the one album

the singles album is a must have too, especially because you get the videos

their best album is "twice removed" like moot said
its a fucking classic from start to finish, and it basically got me through highschool (I totally wore the tape out)
followed by the albums "one chord to another" and "navy blues"
both extremely play-worthy

damn, now I wanna go home and make a sloan mix cd

abcdefz
04-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Well, I appreciate these tips for Late to the Party Guy. (y)

HEIRESS
04-11-2007, 02:42 PM
random favorite videos

"good in everyone" (the intro is as long as the actual song tsk tsk)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qffy6uHkcTU

"money city maniacs"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEpSecRuhmc

"lines you amend"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQUtiQP1D6c