PDA

View Full Version : something you should actually be pretty concerned about...

cookiepuss
04-11-2007, 02:50 PM
"If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man." - Albert Einstein

and bees are dissapering all over the world but the hardest hit lately has been the good old USA. this is bad, espcially because no one is quite sure why. the majority of bees aren't dying in the hive so it's hard to diagose what's wrong. but the ones they are finding dead have some pretty significant problems, such as being riddled with infections, the cuase of which is unknown.

the list of possbile culprits:
pesticides-but they don't know which ones
Patagens/virus
of course Global warming.

that's a pretty broad spectrum to try to narrow it down.

any thoughts? theories? concerns?

am I the only one who cares about the bees?

Dorothy Wood
04-11-2007, 03:01 PM
bees aren't the only thing that can pollenate stuff, so I doubt the world will grind to a halt. but, you know, nature's nature and if that's the way it wants to take us down, so bee it. ;)

cookiepuss
04-11-2007, 03:06 PM
I know I'm playing a bit of a chicken little here...intentionally so.

no bees aren't the only bugs that polinate, but there are some that argue that they are the most efficient pollinators. so without them there might be a struggle to keep things going.

QueenAdrock
04-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah, there are other insects that pollinate plants/flowers. And I'm allergic to bees, so fuck those fucking fuckers. :mad:

Rock
04-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Einstein also said:

"There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will."

So i'm not too worried.

cookiepuss
04-11-2007, 03:12 PM
hahaaa. I'm gonna laugh so hard at you guys whern you're all starving because there are no bees left to pollinate your foodz!

you're all gonna get pwned by BEES!

funk63
04-11-2007, 03:15 PM
bees will fucking kill you.

Bob
04-11-2007, 03:18 PM
i didnt read this whole thread but i'm not too worried because i don't eat bees

QueenAdrock
04-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Or else what? You'll release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark, they shoot bees at you? Well go ahead, do your worst!

cookiepuss
04-11-2007, 03:21 PM
ok but I'm gonna bee really upset when there is no more HONEY!!!!!!:mad:

Save the Bees! I mean come on, what have whales done for you lately? they certainly can't spit up delectable sweet nectar for you to eat. fuck whales.

fucktopgirl
04-11-2007, 03:21 PM
It is kinda bad, because bees are the ones doing the pollination. In Creston,BC, were i live for 7 years, they actually bring bees hives every spring to do the pollination in the orchards, so they have a crucial part in food production ; vegetable and fruits.

So, if this is true, we will eventually be quite fucked in the ass!

b i o n i c
04-11-2007, 03:31 PM
fuck bees!...

Dorothy Wood
04-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Or else what? You'll release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark, they shoot bees at you? Well go ahead, do your worst!

yes! I finally caught one!

QueenAdrock
04-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I thought you meant a bee at first, which wouldn't make much sense because I heard there's snow in Chicago now and that'd be awfully dumb of them to come out now.

mikizee
04-11-2007, 03:58 PM

oh man you took the words right outta my mouth!!!! (y)

kaiser soze
04-11-2007, 05:26 PM
GMO crops are also known to kill off monarch butterflies

so we should be bugging out about this shit

Parkey
04-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Someone should tell the huge bumble bees that manage to get stuck in my window every day.

cookiepuss
04-11-2007, 05:54 PM
I think we're talking honey bees only. I guess the bumbles are a bit tougher?

Parkey
04-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I think we're talking honey bees only. I guess the bumbles are a bit tougher?
They're the muscle marys of the bee world...

befsquire
04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
yeah, i should probably care about the bees, but i don't.

fuck those fuckers indeed, diana.

faz
04-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Sorry to bump this but I just read an article on the independents site (http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2449968.ece) saying that mobile phones could also be the cause of the bee's drying off (y)

SOP
04-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for sharing that quote. That's definitley interesting. Einstein also said something along the lines that the Bermuda Triangle is a vortex for UFOs to fly in and out of.

cookiepuss
04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for sharing that quote. That's definitley interesting. Einstein also said something along the lines that the Bermuda Triangle is a vortex for UFOs to fly in and out of.

yeah that albert einstein was a toatl idiot. he never said anything remotely useful and really contributed NOthing to our society.:rolleyes:

guys, of course Einstein was wrong about somethings. His statement about bees maybe exagerated and speculative, but I really don't think it's completely off base.

bees are an important part of our eco system. if you can't recognize that you're a fucking idiot.

and for those of you who say other insects pollinate too, please note that the U.S. Departtment of Agriculture estimates that about 1/3 of the human diet is derived from insect-pollinated plants and that the honey bee is responsible for 80% of this pollination.

faz
04-16-2007, 12:02 PM
yeah that albert einstein was a toatl idiot. he never said anything remotely useful and really contributed NOthing to our society.:rolleyes:

guys, of course Einstein was wrong about somethings. His statement about bees maybe exagerated and speculative, but I really don't think it's completely off base.

bees are an important part of our eco system. if you can't recognize that you're a fucking idiot.

and for those of you who say other insects pollinate too, please note that the U.S. Departtment of Agriculture estimates that about 1/3 of the human diet is derived from insect-pollinated plants and that the honey bee is responsible for 80% of this pollination.

So are you going to stop using your cell phone?

hpdrifter
04-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Well, I think if there's that much of a change to any ecosystem its something to be worried about.

Everything that exists plays a part in our little earth system and if it disappears it throws off the balance.

P.S. I didn't read all of the replies so if this thread is facetious I apologize for keeping it on the serious.

cookiepuss
04-16-2007, 12:21 PM
So are you going to stop using your cell phone?

well it's only among the list of POSSIBLE reasons. I think they need to find out more before we start making those kind of decisions.

I beleive my point here is simply that the bees disappearance is cause for concern and that it woud be a bit scary if this species of insect were to become extinct. there isn't anything we can do until we know what's causing it.

fucktopgirl
04-16-2007, 12:42 PM
^well, like kaiser said GMO must have something to do with it ,plus all fucking pesticide they use.

faz
04-16-2007, 12:42 PM
well it's only among the list of POSSIBLE reasons. I think they need to find out more before we start making those kind of decisions.

I beleive my point here is simply that the bees disappearance is cause for concern and that it woud be a bit scary if this species of insect were to become extinct. there isn't anything we can do until we know what's causing it.

Yeah, I'm only playing. Its just that, the impression I got from this thread was, you asking "why arnt you people doing anything?" when there isn't anything we can do when we don't even know what the deal is. Please don't take this the wrong way :)

abcdefz
04-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Provide a nesting spot. (http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_5616396?nclick_check=1)

cookiepuss
04-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Provide a nesting spot. (http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_5616396?nclick_check=1)

darn A-z I think you have to be a site member to view that article. but if it's taking about what I think it might be suggesting...that's pretty cool.(y)

faz
04-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Need a user name and password to login. But I'm guessing its an article about trying to get people to make some form of nesting area in your garden? My mum was speaking about this earlier.

Edit: As I'm writing this I found that if you go to the home page, http://www.mercurynews.com, and then copy and pasting your link it worked (y)

Bob
04-16-2007, 12:50 PM
einstein was a physicist, not a beeologist

it took me forever to think of that, and now i think it's too late

abcdefz
04-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Need a user name and password to login. But I'm guessing its an article about trying to get people to make some form of nesting area in your garden? My mum was speaking about this earlier.

Edit: As I'm writing this I found that if you go to the home page, http://www.mercurynews.com, and then copy and pasting your link it worked (y)

Wow. I didn't know I'd ever registered. Guess I did.

Much better than the Round Table Pizza website that has me re-register every fucking time I want to print a coupon. :mad:

SOP
04-16-2007, 12:51 PM

I get the impression from your post that you thought I was teasing you. I wasn't.

I'm serious when I say Einstein is known to have made some claim like that. I also agree that the bee situation is something to be concerned about.

skra75
04-16-2007, 12:56 PM
This is an omen.
I need to:
Buy a boat
Learn how to Sail
Buy a Semi Automatic rifle and about 20 boxes of ammunition
Do excercises every day
Unite with other like minded people
Start planning a self sufficient island nation
Train my kids how to fight and forage for food

faz
04-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Wow. I didn't know I'd ever registered. Guess I did.

In retrospect copying and pasting the link alone would probably work, they probably just don't like other sites linking to there articles so they put that page there to get more members. I can browse the site fine with nothing telling me to sign up.

abcdefz
04-16-2007, 01:09 PM
How odd. I'd think people would welcome links, since it represents increased traffic plus the likelihood that the article wasn't just ripped off and reposted elsewhere, uncredited.

faz
04-16-2007, 07:37 PM
It's easy to get around that stuff anyway. (http://www.bugmenot.com/)

There isn't any bugmenot accounts set up for this site, I tried.

How odd. I'd think people would welcome links, since it represents increased traffic plus the likelihood that the article wasn't just ripped off and reposted elsewhere, uncredited.

Forcing them to sing up would mean they'd be able to email them with the latest news encouraging them to visit the site more often. I'm not saying this would work, but that this would probably be the thinking behind it.

Documad
04-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey, I heard this story on NPR and it bummed me out. Bees are super important and THERE IS NO REAL REPLACEMENT FOR THEM. :(