PDA

View Full Version : How often do you find money?

abcdefz
04-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I wonder if it's a geographic thing, but I've only found currency ($20 bill) ONE time since I moved here, nearly two years ago.

When I lived in the East Bay, I'd find currency probably every three to six weeks. The best was a $100 bill, but it was usually tens and twenties.

Here, I find coins almost daily -- pretty often, if I want a newspaper from the rack, I find quarters on the ground right there. Are people that lazy that they don't value a quarter enough to pick it up?

the $20 I found, oddly enough, was right in front of an ATM. That seemed weird. Someone must've been kind of trashed, withdrawing money.

Anyway. How often do you find money? Have you ever noticed a change -- no pun intended -- if you move to a new location?

Lyman Zerga
04-12-2007, 10:53 AM
never found money on the streetz

but i sometimes find money in my mum's wallet

Rock
04-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Every two weeks I find money in my bank account.

Other than that I found $7 in front of my locker in 7th grade.

I do occasionally find money in some jeans I havent worn in a long time, or in the beginning of winter in a jacket the first time I put it on for the season.

abcdefz

Your mom's pretty careless.

QueenAdrock
Hmm, this time last year I found a $20 when in a bar, and then in '98 I found a $20 in the movie theater I worked at. Last year, I found a toonie in Canada.

Don't find that much, and it's usually once a year, if that. I need to live in Dupont, it's where all the drunk rich kids hang out, and they drop their money all the time. But it's more expensive there anyways, so it probably wouldn't matter one bit.

abcdefz
04-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Man. I used to find money so often I grew to expect it.

Parkey
04-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I found £50 once. Other than that, pence...

Caribou
04-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I once found 100 guilders in front of my locker at school.
Once a bunch of footie hooligans left 50 euros in the cashmachine (and as they were very drunk and insulting my city ofcourse I didn't tell them.)
And 2 weeks ago I came home after a night out and found 30 euros right in front of my house. (y)
I'm a lucky beeatch.

Lyman Zerga
04-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Your mom's pretty careless.

i find it but usually dont steal it, only when i want earrings for like 2 euros THAT bad

i miss hardnox

abcdefz
04-12-2007, 11:07 AM
A few weeks after I had found the $100 I had blown it all already. So I was in Amoeba Records at Berkeley just looking around, killing time, and I prayed something along the lines of, "You know, God, I don't know if it matters much to you that I have any money right now, but it kind of matters to me, so it'd be really cool to find some."

So then I felt he was telling me to go a few aisles down and there would be some money on the floor on my right. I went down to that aisle and there was a $20 on the ground, and my very first reaction was disappointment because I thought I was getting another $100. :o

True story.

Lyman Zerga
04-12-2007, 11:11 AM
A few weeks after I had found the $100 I had blown it all already. So I was in Amoeba Records at Berkeley just looking around, killing time, and I prayed something along the lines of, "You know, God, I don't know if it matters much to you that I have any money right now, but it kind of matters to me, so it'd be really cool to find some."

So then I felt he was telling me to go a few aisles down and there would be some money on the floor on my right. I went down to that aisle and there was a $20 on the ground, and my very first reaction was disappointment because I thought I was getting another $100. :o

True story.

you could find so much more money if you wouldnt waste your time with your idiotic job

Junker
04-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Not too often. :(

abcdefz
04-12-2007, 11:13 AM
you could find so much more money if you wouldnt waste your time with your idiotic job

This job is like found money. You should get paid so much to surf the internet all day. :D

jabumbo
04-12-2007, 11:15 AM
in high school english class, we wrote letters to ourselves that they would send to us 5 years later.

well, i got my letter in the mail last week and with it came a dollar with the note "i hope by now you have more than one of these".

so i guess i've dissapointed myself of 5 years ago because i don't

Lyman Zerga
04-12-2007, 11:17 AM
This job is like found money. You should get paid so much to surf the internet all day. :D

youre so borrrrn to buuuurrn

kll
04-12-2007, 11:18 AM
I rarely find money out in public... an occasional quarter is cool though...

What I do seem to find is money in my house, most specifically in my hall closet where all of my coats are... I usually forget about the $20 I stuck in my ski jacket or my fancy coats when I'm out on the town in the winter, so it's always a nice treat when cold weather comes around again...

abcdefz
04-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah, that's always fun. (y)

Deep_Sea_Rain
04-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I think the most I've found was just $5. It was a rainy day, and I found the soaking bill in a parking lot...

Schmeltz
04-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I found a $5 bill right outside the university just yesterday. It's got a bunch of half-retarded teenage bullshit written on one side - "Rilee <3 i l u ashley" and silly garbage like that. I'm going to spend it on groceries later.

The most money I ever found was a $20 bill in the staff parking area of a restaurant where I used to work. It was obviously a co-worker's but it didn't matter because it was after hours and staff drinks were only two dollars, so I went back in and got right hammered.

Other than that I probably find a coin or two a week, ranging from nickels to quarters - I walk everywhere I go, which helps with finding them. I usually leave pennies where I see them, not worth the effort it takes to pick them up.

Bob
04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
i don't think i've ever seen cash lying on the ground here, but i do have a story about a guy who did!

i was walking home one day, and there was a car driving, and suddenly the guy pulls over and stops, gets out, walks over to a spot on the ground and says "hey, $20, cool". he was talking to me, but he would've been talking to anyone who was passing by at the time. i said "uh, neat" and then he got back in the car and drove off.

i just think that's quite a committment to finding money. he spotted it from his car, found a parking spot, and checked it out.

anyway, i was looking for change on the ground yesterday, because i need a nickel for coffee. the coffee i like to get costs 2.05, so i usually bring a nickel, but i forgot mine that day. usually they just let me pay $2.00 if i forget it, but i dunno, i always feel bad about it. so i was looking for a nickel, but i couldn't even find one.

fortunately i ran into someone i knew and she gave me a dime. payday!

abcdefz
04-12-2007, 11:44 AM
At this record store I go to, there is always change on the ground in front of the cashiers. I can pretty much count on an extra dollar to go with my dollar off coupon.

Bob
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
i don't pick up change off the ground, i don't trust it. the ground's pretty dirty, i don't know where that change has been. i don't even know where my own change has been, and i don't even usually spend that. if something costs me 2.05, it basically costs me $3, because i never spend my coins, i just put them in a jar and go "oh i may need them later". so i certainly don't need the ground change.

i bet i have like a million dollars in coins right now. i should look into that.

abcdefz
04-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Yes. You could put it toward, say, counseling or something. :D

kll
04-12-2007, 12:21 PM
A girl friend and I were at Disneyland and we met two guys (one who at the time was semi-famous)... the guys thought it would be funny to throw a bunch of quarters down on Main Street and watch all the people scurry around to pick them up.

And they were right, it was hilarious!

SugarInTheRaw
04-12-2007, 12:42 PM

Wild thing, I think I love you.

BangkokB
04-13-2007, 07:05 AM
One of the best near Christmas's I've ever had was for back to back weeks I got ill got gains

The 1st week: I worked at a wine/ham store and signed my check over to be cashed and after my friend came back, I asked everyone if their flow was correct. Bc I'd been slipped an exta $70, which ain't bad if you only had $60 coming

The 2nd week: I'd wrap my weekend nights up by going to the meet and greet Burger King. In comes my friend and pulls me aside to tell me that the streets were paved with $. I followed him to the local and sure as there's a god that makes shiny green apples the road was covered with $1 bills. I picked them up til I got bored of picking up 1 dollar bills.

I forget the total but bought Pops a Seiko that year for XMas

That was then. As for now~ I tend to find crazy amounts of $ in pants and shirts that I haven't worn in a while. The most was close to $500. I found more than $75 at the start of the week

QueenAdrock
04-13-2007, 01:58 PM
I think the most I've found was just $5. It was a rainy day, and I found the soaking bill in a parking lot...

Once, my friend saw a $20 in a puddle I stepped over. :mad:

abcdefz
04-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I had a friend with me when I found the C-note. He even stepped on it; I stooped down and picked it up. :D

Nivvie
04-13-2007, 02:53 PM
in high school english class, we wrote letters to ourselves that they would send to us 5 years later.

well, i got my letter in the mail last week and with it came a dollar with the note "i hope by now you have more than one of these".

so i guess i've dissapointed myself of 5 years ago because i don't

I was watching a twenty year old 'Hard and Heavy' vhs last night where Blackie Lawless says (very seriously) in ten years time he'd be a senator.
He said that publicly, you said something in a letter to yourself, so things could be worse.

bigblu89
04-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Hmm, this time last year I found a $20 when in a bar,

I find a ton of money at bars.

People just leave singles and fives on the bar all the time.

faz
04-13-2007, 05:40 PM
I pretty rarely find money randomly on the floor out and about, how ever I quite often find coins at the nightclub I work at. It's usually just a couple 50p's and £1 coins, if you go looking you'll find more but usually the bouncers scan the floors first. Next to the bandit, cigarette machine and around the bars is the main area's.

The club consist of one big level but if we have over a certain amount of people then legally we have to open the one bar upstairs. This bar is seen, by some, as some sort of vip bar as its out the way of the main club so its usually packed with pretentious fools. It was near the end of the night and it was me on the bar and 2 random guys at one of the tables. I notice them rip up some paper then they leave. I go over to get the classes and notice the paper they ripped up was intact a £10. I took the pieces, taped them together, put it in the till and took out a nice crisp one for my self (y)

abcdefz
06-14-2008, 05:11 PM
I've been finding coins here and there but today found a nice $20 bill after I saw The Incredible Hulk and was on my way to get some sushi.
Then, the dude didn't charge me for my soda and when I pointed it out, he said don't worry about it. So today's day out has actually
given me a net increase. Cool!

taquitos
06-14-2008, 05:14 PM
I almost never find money.

I've only found more than a dollar once, and that was in the parking lot after seeing The Green Mile. I found a ten spot.

Bob
06-14-2008, 05:20 PM
I find a ton of money at bars.

People just leave singles and fives on the bar all the time.

lol

BangkokB
06-14-2008, 07:47 PM
It's how creative you look for it: If done the right ways it will naturally drift to your hands

DeeJayZap
06-14-2008, 09:44 PM
i once really wanted an album but my mam wouldnt gimme the money, so i took a twenty from her purse and went outside with it and pretended i found it so i could buy it. i got caught later...

uhh but other than that, no.

Lyman Zerga
06-15-2008, 02:41 PM
since that thread i found all in all about 30 cents (y)

b-grrrlie
06-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Occationally I find some moneys lying around...
If I see a coin, whatever value, I put it in my left shoe, partly it's a bit embarrassing picking up small coins,
but mainly keeping a coin in your left shoe brings you good luck.
A few times I've found 20 SEK notes, and a couple of times 100 SEK, usually at places were people are drunk,
or by tills when people have been careless when putting change back in their wallet.

True story.
Once when walking home I was feeling down and a mantra went through my head
"I wish I'd find some money, I wish I'd find some money, I wish I'd find some money" and hey presto!
I found 50 SEK on the ground!
I got so happy I decided to put it on horses and won almost 500 SEK!!!
Since then I decided that if I find any money I'll bet on horses, and I've won just about every time!

abcdefz
06-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Dang! Nice. (y)

abcdefz
01-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Found a $20 Starbucks gift card the other day. Spent enough to get it down below $10 so I could cash it out.

For what it's worth: it's a law in California for some time now that if you have a gift card with under $10 you can ask for cash. Merchants
for years have made tons of money off people who never use gift cards or never spend up the balance, so this seems like good legislation. (y)

kleptomaniac
01-03-2009, 07:08 PM
i was at my friend's house a few days ago and looking through some of the books on her shelf and found forty dollars stuck in the back of one. then i showed it to her and she started freaking out and checking all her books for more money she might have been hiding lol

edit: i didn't keep the money, of course. just sayin'. :p

cubsfirstplace
01-04-2009, 03:11 AM
i once found a $20 bill in a parking lot while at work a couple of years ago. i was showing/bragging to all my co workers and then my manager took it away from me. i was enraged. i got it back after she counted all the money from the cash registers though.

trailerprincess
01-06-2009, 04:13 AM
My sister found a £5 note floating in the sea. I probably found something that comes from a sewage outflow pipe.