PDA

View Full Version : "Can you hear me now"

D_Raay
04-21-2007, 02:09 AM
http://www.newscientist.com/blog/environment/2007/04/are-cellphones-wiping-out-bees.html?feedId=earth_rss20

Are cellphones wiping out bees?

The bizarre and sudden vanishing of bees that started in the US, and has now spread to Europe, has left apiarists stumped as to the cause. Now, researchers in Germany have come up with an explanation that, in the absence of a better theory, will probably be seriously considered : cellphones.

Radiation from mobile phones is interfering with bees' navigation systems, preventing the insects from finding their way back to the hive, according to a preliminary study by Jochen Khun's team at Landau University in Germany.

If it is true, it's difficult to know what can be done about it, since cellphones are now so ubiquitous. But colony collapse disorder (CCD), as the mystery bee demise is known, is a serious problem, with as many as 80% of bees affected in some parts of the US. It occurs when all the hive's occupants suddenly disappear (nobody knows where) leaving just the queen, her eggs and a few immature workers. And it has huge implications for agriculture because bee-performed pollination is vital for most of the world's crops.

Albert Einstein once calculated that if bees suddenly ceased to exist, mankind could not survive for more than 4 years. A worrying thought?

roosta
04-21-2007, 11:18 AM
I have killed 4 bee's today alone. I hate fuckers. I welcome their annihilation.

JobDDT
04-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Fuck bees.

ms.peachy
04-22-2007, 03:43 PM
I seem to recall seeing something about this somewhere recently. On some news program I think. Not about the cell phones, but about the bees and the problem with them not being around. It's not as simple a matter as "I hate bees, so what if they die." There are huge segments of the agricultural industry that are dependent on bees for pollination. It's a real problem.

JobDDT
04-22-2007, 11:36 PM
I seem to recall seeing something about this somewhere recently. On some news program I think. Not about the cell phones, but about the bees and the problem with them not being around. It's not as simple a matter as "I hate bees, so what if they die." There are huge segments of the agricultural industry that are dependent on bees for pollination. It's a real problem.

If it is killing hornets or wasps, I have no problem with it. In fact, I'll use my cell phone more often if it kills wasps and hornets.

DroppinScience
04-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah, just leave the big bumblebees that give us nice honey alone. Fuck the wasps!

Ali
04-25-2007, 05:01 AM
Hey Q. Maybe this is what happened to the Texas Killer Bees?