PDA

View Full Version : With the SICK New ALbum on the Way, What got you started?

BeastieAlbum07
04-25-2007, 07:38 PM
What song got you started with the Beastie Boys?

I first liked them because of "Posse In Effect".

I'd like to know how you got hooked.

funk63
04-25-2007, 07:44 PM
who are the beastie boys?

Laver1969
04-25-2007, 07:47 PM
First song I remember hearing was The New Style in '86.

BeastieAlbum07
04-25-2007, 07:54 PM
First song I remember hearing was The New Style in '86.

That's a sick song.

I have LTI playing right now. The new album will sound like it.

funk63
04-25-2007, 07:55 PM
That's a sick song.

dude its an instrumental album

ggirlballa
04-25-2007, 07:55 PM
weird my brother asked me this today and i answered that mi tivo accidentally recored the 98's episode of SNL with the bboys & since watching that i was hooked

Laver1969
04-25-2007, 07:57 PM
That's a sick song.

Yeah...sick...LTI pt2.

BeastieAlbum07
04-25-2007, 08:05 PM
dude its an instrumental album

And you would assume this why?

BeastieAlbum07
04-25-2007, 08:05 PM
weird my brother asked me this today and i answered that mi tivo accidentally recored the 98's episode of SNL with the bboys & since watching that i was hooked

Maybe I am your brother? LOL

BeastieAlbum07
04-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah...sick...LTI pt2.

I mean, Mike D said that the lyrics were very easy, which means that they laid back and just said whatever.

A la LTI.

M.C. Guevera
04-25-2007, 08:17 PM
The first Beastie Boys song I ever heard was "Fight For Your Right", but it wasn't until I heard "Sure Shot" in 2004 that I became an actual fan.

Pootytang
04-25-2007, 08:25 PM

I don't think anyone is assuming anything. It has been said by Adrock and Money Mark that this was going to be an instrumental album.

BeastieAlbum07
04-25-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't think anyone is assuming anything. It has been said by Adrock and Money Mark that this was going to be an instrumental album.

Where did they "say" that?

Just because they use instruments, it doesn't mean that it is "instrumental".

Was Check Your Head instrumental?

NO

Did it use instruments?

YES

Pootytang
04-25-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't think anyone ever claimed that CYH was an instrumental album

BeastieAlbum07
04-25-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't think anyone ever claimed that CYH was an instrumental album

They said that it "uses instruments", NOT "instrumental".

ggirlballa
04-25-2007, 08:44 PM

*ahem* back to topic

Pootytang
04-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I've been holding back this info for a bit but I guess I can quote what the person in the Bboy camp told me.

"as far as the beasties its all instrumental, from funky to spy like to i dont know, youlll get to hear it live this year"

funk63
04-25-2007, 08:50 PM
i think u need to accept the inevitable beastiealbum07 the new album wont be like lti

ggirlballa
04-25-2007, 08:52 PM
ummm the 5 albums after it weren't like it eithier(lb)

Pootytang
04-25-2007, 08:52 PM
i think u need to accept the inevitable beastiealbum07 the new album wont be like lti
Not that there is anything wrong with LTI. I still jam it to this day. The bass is unbelievable and the production was great. It is still one of the top party albums in my book.

funk63
04-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Not that there is anything wrong with LTI. I still jam it to this day. The bass is unbelievable and the production was great. It is still one of the top party albums in my book.

arent u in Aifst??

Pootytang
04-25-2007, 08:56 PM
arent u in Aifst??
I wish I were but no I'm not.

Laver1969
04-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm with BeastieAlbum07...it's gonna be like LTI pt. 2 with instruments. Yeah....sick sick sick!!!

I love the Gospel/Salsa combo of Slow Ride!

funk63
04-25-2007, 08:59 PM
ure not the guy in the extra thing whose like my sn is pootytang and u made all the fuss about this vw necklace

Pootytang
04-25-2007, 09:00 PM
yep, that's me.

funk63
04-25-2007, 09:01 PM
sweet mayne

Pootytang
04-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Thank you. I just wish that bit would have made the cut on AIFST but it's all good.

funk63
04-25-2007, 09:10 PM
dude MCA knows who u r. im pretty sure he doesnt know me.
lucky

Laver1969
04-25-2007, 09:34 PM
I've seen you all up on those boards. Give the boards a rest. Dayum! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCGg_uoX-Vs)

kleptomaniac
04-25-2007, 09:48 PM
i love crazy, shoeless yauch with the sexy hand gestures! :o

Justin
04-25-2007, 11:15 PM
ALIVE!

Awesome song Awesome video

kleptomaniac
04-25-2007, 11:44 PM
check-ch-check-check-check-ch-check it out
what-wha-what-what-what's it all about
work-wa-work-work-work-wa-work it out
let's turn this motherfuckin' party out!

:D

pshabi
04-25-2007, 11:46 PM

You're an idiot.

Brother McDuff
04-26-2007, 12:42 AM
though i had a strong distaste for the beasties, thinking they were whiney brats, the Intergalactic video inspired me to buy Hello Nasty. The rest was history.

I guess you could classify Intergalactic a gateway drug.

kingcrimson024
04-26-2007, 12:44 AM
I remember seeing so whatcha want and i flipped my gills yo.

balohna
04-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Either Intergalactic or Fight For Your Right, I forget which one, followed closely by 3 MC's and 1 DJ. I ended up buying Hello Nasty on impulse and I wasn't even sure if I'd like it... at first I didn't really... but then I was obsessed with it.

titou lapraline
04-26-2007, 01:18 AM
Remote Control:rolleyes:

Otis Driftwood
04-26-2007, 02:14 AM
Fight for your Right, man. But I went berserk when I heard "So whatcha want" for the first time. That's when I declared "Henceforth no other band shall my favorite except the Beastie Boys."

balohna
04-26-2007, 02:15 AM
I felt that way until I started investigating The Clash... and now I can't decide which I like more.

Michelle*s_Farm
04-26-2007, 02:41 AM
I've been holding back this info for a bit but I guess I can quote what the person in the Bboy camp told me.

"as far as the beasties its all instrumental, from funky to spy like to i dont know, youlll get to hear it live this year"

Thanks for sharing that information and not making a big deal of it. I can see why you held back as well. I find Mic to Mic to be a bit of a gossip machine -- albeit a useful and tastefully done one.

I have a friend of friend (many here probably do) I could ask but I have been holding off because release day will be like a christmas morning -- I want to be surprised even just a little.

I think with an instrumental album there will be a lot to be surprised about. My guess is that there will be a several vocal samples. I could be wrong though.

balohna
04-26-2007, 02:52 AM
I kinda hope they have some simplistic sort of refrains and stuff, like in Lighten Up or (to a lesser extent) Pow.

YoungRemy
04-26-2007, 03:21 AM
i wore out my older brothers LTI cassette while he educated me on the samples and references... we played Beastie Boys, Zeppelin, and Beatles that whole time period around 86... this was the training period...

I did the same with my CYH cassette around 92 or 93, and then joined the Team after daily regiments of Pauls Boutique... strength and conditioning...

by the time IC came and Loolapalooza went down, all my friends saw the show , but I sat on the bench and didnt get much playing time... playing the pine...

Hello Nasty dropped and I got called up from the D-League, I got my first taste of the Playoffs...

Later in their career, I was getting serious minutes and I played in the All-Star Game on 10/9/04 at Madison Square Garden...

The best part is that the band has always recognized and acknowledged their fans, the Sixth Man...
and its not time to retire their numbers quite yet...

what will they do next???

cj hood
04-26-2007, 06:19 AM
slow and low '85

Lyman Zerga
04-26-2007, 06:57 AM
intergalactic

before i only knew sabotage and i hated it

kll
04-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Car Thief changed my life

Funky Pepp
04-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Fight for your Right, man. But I went berserk when I heard "So whatcha want" for the first time. That's when I declared "Henceforth no other band shall my favorite except the Beastie Boys."
Dito!!! :D
(Except I'd add a "be" somewhere in your "henceforth..".-sentence.)

Michelle*s_Farm
04-26-2007, 01:06 PM

Riot Fight and Egg Raid On Mojo. Beastie Revolution was an early highlight but I think it took me awhile to appreciate it. My second wave of serious interest in the band happened when LTI was released and I heard Hold it Now, Hit It and Rhymin' and Stealin'.

balohna
04-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Riot Fight and Egg Raid On Mojo. Beastie Revolution was an early highlight but I think it took me awhile to appreciate it. My second wave of serious interest in the band happened when LTI was released and I heard Hold it Now, Hit It and Rhymin' and Stealin'.
Holy fuck, you've been a fan since the beginning then? That's amazing.

mathcart
04-26-2007, 02:00 PM
i wore out my older brothers LTI cassette while he educated me on the samples and references... we played Beastie Boys, Zeppelin, and Beatles that whole time period around 86... this was the training period...

I did the same with my CYH cassette around 92 or 93, and then joined the Team after daily regiments of Pauls Boutique... strength and conditioning...

by the time IC came and Loolapalooza went down, all my friends saw the show , but I sat on the bench and didnt get much playing time... playing the pine...

Hello Nasty dropped and I got called up from the D-League, I got my first taste of the Playoffs...

Later in their career, I was getting serious minutes and I played in the All-Star Game on 10/9/04 at Madison Square Garden...

what will they do next???

Dude! Why you gotta steal my story like that? thats it I challenge you to a high stakes winner take all game of one on one. Or boggle, whichever...

On the real though... LTI era got me into them, there songs were everywhere and I dug em, but I would have to say it was Paul Revere that made me love them and made me into the B-boy fiend I am today. Dammit, I gotta go score my daily fix...

carl
04-27-2007, 06:50 AM
I remember when I got No Sleep Til.. on 7 inch, and played the b-side, Posse in Effect. I was hopelessly hooked.

Junker
04-27-2007, 07:01 AM
BeastieAlbum07, you're really boring man (n)

fonky pizza
04-29-2007, 06:43 PM

I'll kick you out of this house if you don't cut that hair

with the image of the video clip, the 3 of them on the sofa and the hairy dog

kleptomaniac
04-29-2007, 06:45 PM
I'll kick you out of this house if you don't cut that hair

with the image of the video clip, the 3 of them on the sofa and the hairy dog

oh yeah! (http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3836/pdvd171af8.png) ;)

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
04-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Maybe I am your brother? LOL

If you are your brother then I want your number.

My first song was Fight for your right back in 95 or 96.. But when I was 12 or 13 I heard what cha want being played on the TV and some dude at the record store had the anthology on. I watched in awe, and then I demanded he play it again. So I parked myself on the floor and watched the dvd for an hour. Good times...

lrf1211
04-29-2007, 06:56 PM
When I heard the New Style ("let me clear my throat . . .") was when I started to really like the Beastie Boys, but when I got Paul's Boutique at some point during Shake Your Rump or B-Boy Bouillabaisse I became a fan.

Funkyfreshgrape
04-29-2007, 07:53 PM
body movin' my dad would play the vid for me, i loved it. :D

milkboy009
04-29-2007, 11:48 PM
well my bro had IC and i would listen to it on occasion, got into it a lil. But when i heard intergalactic i knew i had to get that CD. It was one of the first CDs i'd ever bought. Once i got it though i was hooked, next i picked up LTI then i got my own copy of IC then CYH. Then i got PB, but it took me maybe 6 months to appreciate its awesomeness and the masterpiece it truly is.
Oh and then after a long ass time TT5B came out and it BANGED LIKE A MOTHA FUGGA!

Pootytang
04-29-2007, 11:50 PM
I bought LTI on 8track a long long time ago and was hooked instantly.

paul jones
04-30-2007, 05:41 AM
Hold It Now, Hit It 12" 1986 after seeing a Record Mirror interview

Lambrettara
04-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Fight For Your Right and Sabotage and the like had always been present when I was a kid (I was only born in '87 so you know, kinda hard to be a fan right from the get-go... my Dad was also more interested in weaning me onto AC/DC) and I liked them in a casual way, and So What'cha Want was something I'd always listen to when it came on music telly. The Intergalactic video also drew me in like no other, I absolutely love it.

I didn't become a proper "fan" 'til I bought Paul's Boutique last year though, and I was sucked in. What an amazing album. I promptly went out and blew all my money on their entire back catalogue. :o

I feel kind of lucky to have wandered into the fandom just before they decided to release a new album and do festival dates, too. What timing on my part... ;)

Lo_Lyfe
04-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Fight For Your Right and Sabotage and the like had always been present when I was a kid (I was only born in '87 so you know, kinda hard to be a fan right from the get-go... my Dad was also more interested in weaning me onto AC/DC) and I liked them in a casual way, and So What'cha Want was something I'd always listen to when it came on music telly. The Intergalactic video also drew me in like no other, I absolutely love it.

I didn't become a proper "fan" 'til I bought Paul's Boutique last year though, and I was sucked in. What an amazing album. I promptly went out and blew all my money on their entire back catalogue. :o

I feel kind of lucky to have wandered into the fandom just before they decided to release a new album and do festival dates, too. What timing on my part... ;)
That is some good timing. Good for you, man. (y)

Lambrettara
04-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Haha, thanks. It felt like some cosmic alignment shit or something. Can't wait to see 'em in September...

I also forgot to mention their performance at the 2004 MTV Europe Awards (which I caught while just flicking around one night, I started watching because I wanted to see Franz Ferdinand who I also love) played an important part in bringing me to the Beastie side as well. That performance was badass.

TAFKASB
04-30-2007, 10:19 AM
I first got into them when they dropped LTI, as I'm sure most young people did. I went out and bought PB on it's release, and remember thinking wtf? not feeling this. Then years later when intergalatic came out I was hooked...went and bought HN...was insane about it, then I went out and bought every album and ep by them. In 89 when PB came out, I guess I wasn't ready for it. Then again, it was years ahead of it's time. (y)