PDA

View Full Version : TMU: Vocal Pondering

Brother McDuff
05-05-2007, 02:14 AM
Thought it might be stimulating to consider some prospects of who the beasties might enlist for the possible vocal companion to TMU. I know it seems foolish to ruminate over an album not even heard yet, but it could still be fun to use our imaginations.

Note: Lets try and keep the guesses somehwhat realistic, rather than just listing 30 people "you'd like" to see them collaborate with.

I'm gonna start with these two:

Amy Winehouse: Given her style is in the vein of late 60s Motown divas, her voice may lend itself to the "northern soul" aspect of TMU. Furthermore, her jazzy stylings may complement the reportedly "loungy" page of the album. Oh yeah, she also fits the "very new vocalist" profile that Mike mentioned in that one interview.

Money Mark: Judging by the so-called easy-going nature of the record, Mark often brings a considerable amount of light-heartedness and humor to his own tracks that could be useful to the TMU. Aside from "Mark on the Bus", he'd be a somewhat "new voice" to the beastie mix.

...does anyone come to mind for y'all?

dave790
05-05-2007, 02:33 AM
She (Winehouse) was around a few years back also, but I see what you're saying.

BeastieAlbum07
05-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Thought it might be stimulating to consider some prospects of who the beasties might enlist for the possible vocal companion to TMU. I know it seems foolish to ruminate over an album not even heard yet, but it could still be fun to use our imaginations.

Note: Lets try and keep the guesses somehwhat realistic, rather than just listing 30 people "you'd like" to see them collaborate with.

I'm gonna start with these two:

Amy Winehouse: Given her style is in the vein of late 60s Motown divas, her voice may lend itself to the "northern soul" aspect of TMU. Furthermore, her jazzy stylings may complement the reportedly "loungy" page of the album. Oh yeah, she also fits the "very new vocalist" profile that Mike mentioned in that one interview.

Money Mark: Judging by the so-called easy-going nature of the record, Mark often brings a considerable amount of light-heartedness and humor to his own tracks that could be useful to the TMU. Aside from "Mark on the Bus", he'd be a somewhat "new voice" to the beastie mix.

...does anyone come to mind for y'all?

Grandmaster Flash
Grandmaster Melle Mel
The Beastie Boys
Disco Three
Prime Minister Pete Nice
Run-DMC

cypressphil
05-05-2007, 09:43 AM
James Brown, oh wait, if only he hadnt passed away.:(

Laver1969
05-05-2007, 09:48 AM
I'd like to see them do some work with Dennis DeYoung.

mathcart
05-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Well if their gonna go all lounge, I say go all the way with it and have Tony Bennet (http://www.timelesstracks.com/acatalog/tony_bennett_unforgettable_book_large.jpg)t come on down (notice how hes got the new dress code down)

On a bit more real tip maybe someone a little new jack soul- Reggie Watts (lead singer of Maktub (http://www.amazon.com/Khronos-Maktub/dp/B00008PX9V/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b/104-0895024-1914305)) springs to mind.

I must say this a bit of a weird thing to do for 2 reasons-

1- I don't know what the album sounds like, so this is just me essentially matching styles I lke with an unknown. So I cant be sure it would work, its just who do I want to hear jamming with the boys. Which leads to point 2...

2- The boys aren't big colaborators (yes, I know they have, so don't throw the biz, elvis, lee perry and de la in my face and get off the dills). I mean I don't count like fredo, mm & mmm as colaboraters since they are all so instrumental to the current sound of the band that I consider them part of the band. That being said their style(s) is pretty f'n unique and hard for me to picture not commin outta the disco three. Its not that I think they shouldn't collaborate, I am out of my mind excited about hearing TMU both when it drops and then again when we get ver.2. Its just difficult for me to picture the Beastie Boys as somebodys backing band. It will be a real head trip for me to hear it- so it is definetely hard for me to picture. But I am optimistic as there are blueprints for such a thing working successfully (The band backing up Bob Dylan springs to mind). Anyway thats my 2 cents.

funk63
05-05-2007, 12:02 PM
that guy from Hinder.

Rock On
05-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I say this with all due respect, anyone but Kathleen Hannah.

b-grrrlie
05-05-2007, 12:23 PM
For the extremely smokey tracks maybe Tom Waits, on coctail lounge-y Jay Jay Johansson.