PDA

View Full Version : RIP the 5 Boroughs Era

Lo_Lyfe
05-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Twas good. I liked it, anyway.

JasonP
05-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Lets all give a warm welcome to The Mix Up!

Lo_Lyfe
05-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Lets all give a warm welcome to The Mix Up!
Maybe. But not here.

I really liked once the tour kicked off proper, after the Japanese festival. I remember getting a boot with 'High Plains Drifter' on it, and the band all started in different places, and D just went "Doin 120 ploughin over mailboxes!" and the crowd (without missing a single step) replied 'Radar deTECTOR to tell me where the cops is!". Magic. It made the new material fit in much better.

When the Open Letter video dropped was another good moment. Awesome video.

pshabi
05-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Maybe. But not here.

I really liked once the tour kciked off proper, after the Japanese festival. I remember getting a boot with 'High Plains Drifter' on it, and the band all started in different places, and D just went "Doin 120 ploughin over mailboxes!" and the crowd (without missing a single step) replied 'Radar deTECTOR to tell me where the cops is!". Magic. It made the new material fit in much better.

When the Open Letter video dropped was another good moment. Awesome video.

'Twas a great era. Possibly their best. Not solely because of the album, because even a blind follower like me can admit it wasn't their best. But, because of the tour, which was their best. Because of the HHH performances and all the other TV performances. Also, because of AIFST.

Bboys were at their peak, live performance wise, and that was what made it great.

Lo_Lyfe
05-06-2007, 10:05 PM
'Twas a great era. Possibly their best. Not solely because of the album, because even a blind follower like me can admit it wasn't their best. But, because of the tour, which was their best. Because of the HHH performances and all the other TV performances. Also, because of AIFST.

Bboys were at their peak, live performance wise, and that was what made it great.
Yeah, it was crazy to see them do so much, on the strength alone of a 15 track album only 50% of their fans really liked.

When they came to Australia, and they were real disinterested in the Channel V dudes, that was funny as hell.

Rock On
05-06-2007, 10:06 PM
because of the tour, which was their best. Because of the HHH performances and all the other TV performances. Also, because of AIFST.

Exactly how many tours have you seen them do? How old are you?

mathcart
05-06-2007, 10:11 PM
An incredibly prolific period as well as being on top of their game for all stops. On a personal note reconnected me with the band and introduced me too the awesomeness that is a beastie boys show (repeatedly- unbelievable to me now that it took this long for me to shake my ass at a boys show considering how long I've been a huge fan). Good times. Bring on TMU and what i'm positively will become legendary performances.

Lo_Lyfe
05-06-2007, 10:18 PM
An incredibly prolific period as well as being on top of their game for all stops. On a personal note reconnected me with the band and introduced me too the awesomeness that is a beastie boys show (repeatedly- unbelievable to me now that it took this long for me to shake my ass at a boys show considering how long I've been a huge fan). Good times. Bring on TMU and what i'm positively will become legendary performances.
For the record, the kids are pronouncing "TMU" like 'EMU' with a 'T'. Keep any discussion of it out of this thread, though.

pshabi
05-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Exactly how many tours have you seen them do? How old are you?

I've seen them do the Pageant Tour and the 98 HN In the Round Tour. I've got video coming out the ass of the tours before that. I'm 138 years old.

Do you think there's a better tour than the one they just did?

Lo_Lyfe
05-06-2007, 10:36 PM
I've seen them do the Pageant Tour and the 98 HN In the Round Tour. I've got video coming out the ass of the tours before that. I'm 138 years old.

I heard a wicked story from hot rookie 'Fred Kelly' about how they played in 92 in a venue the size of a generous backyard garage. The whole place was chanting 'Ali-Baba and the 40 thieves' and the group opened with Slow And Low, Adrock jumping down off the P.A onto the stage, and Mike D heading straight into the crowd. Completely off the chain bonkers, apparently.

So it's a trade-off. I'd love to have been at a show like that, but it would mean I probably wouldn't rate the Pageant tour as highly. Or maybe I would. I don't know. The live events have all taken on their own identities, it's kinda scary how different each set of tours has been to the last. Particularly scary to me is the prospect of an instrumental-only set. They should do one half instrumental, the other half playing all of Hello nasty or Check Your Head. That's still sorta instrumental, too. And a nice nod to Floyd. But they won't, and that's fine too.

But that's not for here. I remember taping Ch-Check it Out off Triple J and playing it whilst on the can. It's weird how different my life is since then, and yet how little has changed. I'll be on the toilet listening to The Gala Event, for sure. (y)

pshabi
05-06-2007, 10:39 PM
I heard a wicked story from hot rookie 'Fred Kelly' about how they played in 92 in a venue the size of a generous backyard garage. The whole place was chanting 'Ali-Baba and the 40 thieves' and the group opened with Slow And Low, Adrock jumping down off the P.A onto the stage, and Mike D heading straight into the crowd. Completely off the chain bonkers, apparently.

So it's a trade-off. I'd love to have been at a show like that, but it would mean I probably wouldn't rate the Pageant tour as highly. Or maybe I would. I don't know. The live events have all taken on their own identities, it's kinda scary how different each set of tours has been to the last. Particularly scary to me is the prospect of an instrumental-only set. They should do one half instrumental, the other half playing all of Hello nasty or Check Your Head. That's still sorta instrumental, too. And a nice nod to Floyd. But they won't, and that's fine too.

But that's not for here. I remember taping Ch-Check it Out off Triple J and playing it whilst on the can. It's weird how different my life is since then, and yet how little has changed. I'll be on the toilet listening to The Gala Event, for sure. (y)

If they stick to two-night gigs with night one being instrumental and night two being hip hop I'll be stoked. Best of both worlds.

The addition of MMM transformed the live gig and IMO, they perfected it on the last tour. The Vegas show they did last October was unbelievable.

Lo_Lyfe
05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
If they stick to two-night gigs with night one being instrumental and night two being hip hop I'll be stoked. Best of both worlds.

The addition of MMM transformed the live gig and IMO, they perfected it on the last tour. The Vegas show they did last October was unbelievable.
Only problem being that they won't do two nights at every stop. Works great for the U.S, and most of Yurp. Down-Under, they could probably afford a slightly different approach.

And yeah, they nailed it with Mixmaster that last tour. If they do a hip-hop night, it would be hard not to chant 'boring' at the same played-out setlist. Granted, I'm not expecting Adrock to throw down any "Tittie jiggle" type rhymes, but they could do so much more than "the hits". They could take what the pageant started and turn it into a complete headfuck. 'Sounds of Science' and 'Jimmy James' and even 'Brr Stick em' and 'Oh Word' would be far more worth the price of admission than the old trusty Sure-Shot-Root-Down-Triple-Trouble-Mega-Combo.

For guys who made their name fucking around with formulas, I'd hate to see this part of their career bogged down in them.

pshabi
05-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Only problem being that they won't do two nights at every stop. Works great for the U.S, and most of Yurp. Down-Under, they could probably afford a slightly different approach.

And yeah, they nailed it with Mixmaster that last tour. If they do a hip-hop night, it would be hard not to chant 'boring' at the same played-out setlist. Granted, I'm not expecting Adrock to throw down any "Tittie jiggle" type rhymes, but they could do so much more than "the hits". They could take what the pageant started and turn it into a complete headfuck. 'Sounds of Science' and 'Jimmy James' and even 'Brr Stick em' and 'Oh Word' would be far more worth the price of admission than the old trusty Sure-Shot-Root-Down-Triple-Trouble-Mega-Combo.

For guys who made their name fucking around with formulas, I'd hate to see this part of their career bogged down in them.

Word.

They are the b boys though. They'll switch it up and make it worth the price of admission.(y)

Lo_Lyfe
05-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Word.

They are the b boys though. They'll switch it up and make it worth the price of admission.(y)
That's exactly it. When you look at the evolution from the debut of the 'Ch-Check it Out' video to what wound up happening in the last 3 years, it makes me kind of hyped for the shit that will go down following this album. Even if it's only another 50 percenter, there's still the shows and such.

Justin
05-06-2007, 11:10 PM
I think the beasties will be more hyped up for the hip hop songs on this tour, especially since the new album is all instumental.

Hopefully we'll get to hear "the new style" more on this tour!

Lo_Lyfe
05-06-2007, 11:13 PM
It must have been hard to remember the lyrics at Coachella and stuff while writing TT5B.

Documad
05-06-2007, 11:42 PM
When they came to Australia, and they were real disinterested in the Channel V dudes, that was funny as hell.
Was that what they were filming right before the Sydney sideshow?

M.C. Guevera
05-06-2007, 11:43 PM
I'd like it if Mix Master Mike changed up the samples he uses. How many times have they done "So What'cha Want?" to Fabolous' "Breathe"?

Lo_Lyfe
05-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Was that what they were filming right before the Sydney sideshow?
Yeah, I believe so. I recall them being on Channel V and just wanting to not be there. Or it looked like that.

Documad
05-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I believe so. I recall them being on Channel V and just wanting to not be there. Or it looked like that.
I walked by when they were filming. It looked like a low rent version of MTV's TRL when you see it in Times Square.

I've always been grateful that the Beasties were filming a TV show across the street from the venue that night. The kids were distracted by the TV show while I got in line for the venue and wound up down front. :p

and thanks again to Laver for making me haul ass down to the venue instead of taking a nap

Lo_Lyfe
05-07-2007, 12:25 AM
It seemed to involve messageboarders and fans in general much more than the Hello Nasty tour. They really broke down the barriers between them and the audience in many ways.

Documad
05-07-2007, 12:56 AM
I'm sorry that non-US fans missed the dog show.

I wasn't sure I'd even want to see a Beasties live show again when TT5B came out. Then I started to hear reports, including reports of the dog show as an opener, and I just knew they were still in top form.

When the dog show came on, it amused me to watch the reactions of all the stoned 20 year olds.

Documad
05-07-2007, 12:57 AM
It seemed to involve messageboarders and fans in general much more than the Hello Nasty tour. They really broke down the barriers between them and the audience in many ways.
Jamie (the camera guy) deserves a lot of credit for that. He was a nice ambassador to the fans.

Lo_Lyfe
05-07-2007, 01:06 AM
My next mission is to see them at a non-festival show. So if they do come back here, I hope it's with some notice, so's I can get my shit together.

facedownfall
05-07-2007, 01:16 AM

That was the best damn tour ever!! Check Your Head...small venue tour..hype shows...I saw them in Norfolk, VA that summer....everything was hype....instrumentals were ill and the hardcore was awesome..especially the minor threat cover.

martijn
05-07-2007, 01:35 AM
That was the best damn tour ever!! Check Your Head...small venue tour..hype shows...I saw them in Norfolk, VA that summer....everything was hype....instrumentals were ill and the hardcore was awesome..especially the minor threat cover.

I agree the cyh tour was probably the best they ever did, i wish i had seen it, Minor Threat, Bad Brains covers and a lot of pollywog stew stuff.

check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k8-mdmITiA

martijn
05-07-2007, 01:36 AM
Im glad the TT5b era is over, lets bring back and start the new instrument era (y)

Lo_Lyfe
05-07-2007, 01:45 AM
Im glad the TT5b era is over, lets bring back and start the new instrument era (y)
Are you? Fuck, I hadn't gathered that at all.

martijn
05-07-2007, 01:48 AM
Are you? Fuck, I hadn't gathered that at all.

ow i tought you knew that by now :)

jennyb
05-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Is that some sarcasm I'm detecting?

Yeah, TT5B was a good time. But what maintains my interest with the Beastie Boys is they don't just stay with a formula and leave you bored. I'm intrigued by this new direction and how this will play out. I think the internet and this place played a HUGE role in the TT5B era. It was cool to feel a part of something. The pageant was special and the shows were fun with all the LTI/PB material.

Lo_Lyfe
05-07-2007, 02:18 AM
they don't just stay with a formula and leave you bored
Not to take this quote out of context, but this is always my hope. We'll have to see what they have in store.

Bringing Something's Got to Give out of retirement was a nice touch.

Lo_Lyfe
05-07-2007, 02:26 AM
The Mix-Up finds NYC’s favorite sons drawing on one of their arsenal’s primary strengths and pushing it into bold new directions.

At least this doesn't imply "Number 8" "belch" Number 8" "belch"

Brother McDuff
05-07-2007, 03:36 AM

word. if i felt they were completely done with rapping come this album, i'd probly be less enthusiastic and most likely depressed, but since i'm confident they wouldn't end their run with a project lacking hip-hop, i'm just ecstatic to see that we're gonna get a concentrated instrumental effort from them before their swan song.(y)

Rock On
05-07-2007, 05:48 AM

I was just trying to get a frame of reference of how far you went back. Most people that have seen CYH or the Quadrophonic tours will tell you that's when they were in their prime, and I don't think seeing it on a bootleg video can accurately tell the story. That's why I'm excited about them picking up the instruments again and the possibilities of what their upcoming live shows are gonna be (more instruments and smaller venues), hopefully. But I guess anythings possible when it comes to a Beastie live show.
One of the complaints about the Pagent show was the lack of hardcore/ more instruments. During the CYH and Quadrophonic shows, you didn't know what they were going to hit you with next. They were a little younger too, particularly Adrock was out of his mind back then, live.

Quadrophonic tour gets my vote for their best tour.

Laver1969
05-07-2007, 05:48 AM

^They TT5B tour was special because:

Dog Show opening act
They let fans shoot AIFST
Shoutout videos
Old School tracksuits
Fly blue rental tuxes with a moving stage
Integalactic in the upper deck.
They brought back brass monkey and a few others into their shows

Every tour has had something special and unique. But TT5B made a great connection with the fans.

I'm looking forward to The Mix Up era!

dave790
05-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Top era. It's the only era I've been fully involved in from start to finish, so maybe I'm biased, but in comparison to everything I've ever seen or read the last few years have seemed top notch.

I saw the Beasties live for the first time in 2004 at Wembley Arena, which I'll never forget (school the next day..fuck me that was hard!)...but live in general they seemed on top. I can back this up by saying that many a TV performance and gig I've got recorded from this era is up there with everything else I've got and seen, in many cases better. For instance, in pure hip hop terms the Paris warm up gig in 2004 is as precise, and as dope with MMM's beat switches as can be.

What's more, I was very much on the side of thinking, and still thinking, that TT5B is a very good album. There's loads to go on about in this era, but I think people are doing a good job of covering it which shows that even the most anti-TT5B person probably has some decent memories.

I miss it now but look forward to the new one...

edit: and by the way, I think it's worth noting... to do all this after a 6 year break from the mainstream and fans in general, whilst being on the cusp of their 40's, just goes to show how fucking cool the Beasties are and what everyone must've been hoping would still be the case at this point in many past moments.

Lo_Lyfe
05-07-2007, 10:14 AM
to do all this after a 6 year break from the mainstream and fans in general, whilst being on the cusp of their 40's, just goes to show how fucking cool the Beasties are and what everyone must've been hoping would still be the case at this point in many past moments.
Yep yep. (y) (y)

nypb
05-07-2007, 10:15 AM

Agreed..I saw the CYH tour at Roseland in NYC. SICK.

"Screaming at a wallllllll...." I still remember it like it was yesterday.

cj hood
05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I was just trying to get a frame of reference of how far you went back. Most people that have seen CYH or the Quadrophonic tours will tell you that's when they were in their prime, and I don't think seeing it on a bootleg video can accurately tell the story. That's why I'm excited about them picking up the instruments again and the possibilities of what their upcoming live shows are gonna be (more instruments and smaller venues), hopefully. But I guess anythings possible when it comes to a Beastie live show.
One of the complaints about the Pagent show was the lack of hardcore/ more instruments. During the CYH and Quadrophonic shows, you didn't know what they were going to hit you with next. They were a little younger too, particularly Adrock was out of his mind back then, live.

Quadrophonic tour gets my vote for their best tour.

cosign....saw them in philly in '95........ill energy!

Lo_Lyfe
05-07-2007, 10:22 AM
word. if i felt they were completely done with rapping come this album, i'd probly be less enthusiastic and most likely depressed, but since i'm confident they wouldn't end their run with a project lacking hip-hop, i'm just ecstatic to see that we're gonna get a concentrated instrumental effort from them before their swan song.(y)
Not to take away from yourself, but none of us have any reason to suspect anything other than this is their last project. Prove us wrong, and so on. BUt we shouldn't hold out our hopes.

cj hood
05-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Not to take away from yourself, but none of us have any reason to suspect anything other than this is their last project. Prove us wrong, and so on. BUt we shouldn't hold out our hopes.

i gotta agree.......i can't see their urge to mc increase with age.......i dont' see any new hiphop coming from them.....

Lo_Lyfe
05-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Possibly there is a mountain of unreleased stuff for us to ponder. Possibly not. I'd love a fat disc of old oddities, sorta re-worked, or maybe just tidied up. Even Yauch said it would be a cool idea when Zorra asked if that's what SGH was going to be. So they see it, too.

After it were all said and done, like really over, I'd like a book, in their own words, about the whole history of the group. Their musings in the Sounds of Science were engrossing.

Remember when everybody had a different favourite song on TT5B? My first favourite was Time to Build. My first post on the boards in 5 months was to say thet Time to Build was my favourite on that album. It must have been weeks old then.

dave790
05-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't think they're done with hip hop aside from the live shows. I think, if there is another album, it will be a mix like the 90's records, so not set instrumental or hip hop, but a whole range of music. Sounds like the new one is already expanding on the instrumental side of things, so they'll probably just continue experimenting as always with different and new ideas... But I don't think we've seen the last of their rapping, or certainly not vocals in general.

But we'll see in due course.

martijn
05-07-2007, 12:59 PM
i gotta agree.......i can't see their urge to mc increase with age.......i dont' see any new hiphop coming from them.....

i agree, but i don't really mind, the best rapping was from pauls boutique to hello nasty ttb5's was crap, if they make hip hop they should do it Sure Shot / Get It Together style and not like they did onTT5B's

cj hood
05-07-2007, 01:13 PM
i agree, but i don't really mind, the best rapping was from pauls boutique to hello nasty ttb5's was crap, if they make hip hop they should do it Sure Shot / Get It Together style and not like they did onTT5B's

wow....martijn has something negative to say about the beasties.......i'm shocked!

MIKEtotheD
05-07-2007, 02:56 PM
I think the beasties will be more hyped up for the hip hop songs on this tour, especially since the new album is all instumental.

Hopefully we'll get to hear "the new style" more on this tour!

Word. (y)

Brother McDuff
05-07-2007, 03:20 PM

i don't think there's any more evidence inciting that they are done than they aren't. i don't have any proof obviously that this isn't their last, it's just a hunch, but neither do those who think it is. i think as long as they are still down to perform rap tunes, they'll be game to create more rap songs. And even if they're not, i think they have plenty more ideas left in them to do a non-hip hop vocal album.

i like to think they'd consciously close out their career with one last all-out effort.

martijn
05-07-2007, 03:37 PM
wow....martijn has something negative to say about the beasties.......i'm shocked!

well didn't you know i think tt5b sucks?

martijn
05-07-2007, 03:38 PM

Did i ever say that i like everything they do?

Laver1969
05-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Why would we have any reason to suspect this is their last project? I would say they have given us no reason to believe they won't continue making music...just as they always have.

3-6 year breaks in between albums, but who said anything about over. Ewww Bluto, we might get in trouble. Nothing's over until we decide it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

*Silence*

And it ain't over now....who's with me? Aaaaughhhh!

Pootytang
05-07-2007, 05:02 PM
"Over?

Who said it's over?

WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR????

HELL NO!!!!"

-John Belushi

martijn
05-07-2007, 05:05 PM
http://www.killerclips.com/clip.php?id=123&qid=1558

gorilla
05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Thank heavens, TT5B was the cornhole era.

pm0ney
05-07-2007, 07:48 PM
I thought TT5B era was dope. I still think its a real solid album, and their best lyrically since Pauls Boutique. In the grand scheme of things I'd probably rank it at #4, above Hello Nasty and Ill Communications. Incredible tour, and they came out with a lot of great shit during this era. AIFST, Solid Gold Hits, VH1 Hip Hop Honors, and of course the TT5B album.

It was the most anticipated Beasties album for me by far, and I just cant believe the new one is coming out in a month. Time fucking flies man.

cj hood
05-07-2007, 08:16 PM
i dont' hate TT5B....but i do think its their weakest effort.......i think a lot of those trax were "called in"....i love "rhyme the rhyme well".......RRNN is cool......but there was a lot of repetitiveness and filler trax.....

but i did appreciate the tour, aifst, and the many singles/vids that accompanied it.....

Lo_Lyfe
05-07-2007, 08:26 PM
i dont' hate TT5B....but i do think its their weakest effort.......i think a lot of those trax were "called in"....i love "rhyme the rhyme well".......RRNN is cool......but there was a lot of repetitiveness and filler trax.....

but i did appreciate the tour, aifst, and the many singles/vids that accompanied it.....
That's the thing, so much came out of what appeared to be so little.

Rock On
05-07-2007, 09:21 PM
That's the thing, so much came out of what appeared to be so little.

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, but where were the singles with the rare b-sides off this album,
Ch-Check it out featured and then I, which sucked in my opinion,
Triple Trouble - NONE
RRNN - NONE
OLTNYC - NONE

Brr, stick 'em and now get busy were off of japanese versions, not actual b-sides.

Where were the colored vinyl 12", or the limited edition vinyls,
where was the single EP with the 7 or so live songs ala the root down EP,
where was the DVD of the video compilation for all the vids off TT5B?

AIFST is a concert DVD that contains songs from every album, only 5 of which were off TT5B, and even one of those songs (all lifestyles) incorporated a trip to take a leak.

I thought there was a lot missing as far as what came out of the TT5B era when you compare it to other eras. I'm still waiting for that DVD compilation, I own every other video and I'd like to have the vids from this album on a disc.

Laver1969
05-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, but where were the singles with the rare b-sides off this album,
Ch-Check it out featured and then I, which sucked in my opinion,
Triple Trouble - NONE
RRNN - NONE
OLTNYC - NONE

Brr, stick 'em and now get busy were off of japanese versions, not actual b-sides.

Where were the colored vinyl 12", or the limited edition vinyls,
where was the single EP with the 7 or so live songs ala the root down EP,
where was the DVD of the video compilation for all the vids off TT5B?

AIFST is a concert DVD that contains songs from every album, only 5 of which were off TT5B, and even one of those songs (all lifestyles) incorporated a trip to take a leak.

I thought there was a lot missing as far as what came out of the TT5B era when you compare it to other eras. I'm still waiting for that DVD compilation, I own every other video and I'd like to have the vids from this album on a disc.

I understand what you're saying...but in less than three years we've gotten:

1. TT5B plus for "four other songs" call 'em b-sides, jap releases, or whatever...but we got a +4 songs.
2. You have SGH with the dvd that has all the extra angles plus the That's It That's All in there
3. AIFST with all the bonus material in there
4. Plus throw in quite a few television performances

That's a pretty beefy three years by Beastie standards.

kll
05-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Twas good. I liked it, anyway.

you're obsessing and it's making me laugh.

Kid Presentable
05-07-2007, 11:39 PM
you're obsessing and it's making me laugh.
Not obsessing at all. Just saying. You're a cheap chuckle, my friend.

kll
05-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Not obsessing at all. Just saying. You're a cheap chuckle, my friend.

as my parents used to tell me over and over... small minds are easily amused...

Kid Presentable
05-07-2007, 11:53 PM
as my parents used to tell me over and over... small minds are easily amused...
Tits lol