PDA

View Full Version : Protests against Chavez?

freetibet
05-19-2007, 06:56 PM
I heard he locked down some independent radio station or sth like that. [can't find it on CNN, though..]

Beloved Leader ;)

Schmeltz
05-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Venezuelan cops quell protest with tear gas and rubber bullets (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070528/ap_en_tv/venezuela_chavez_vs_tv)

Very, very troubling and a distinct step backwards for Chavez' populist program. It seems like a clear, open, undemocratic salvo at the opposition. I think it's most unsettling because things like this never seem to occur in single instances; once a precedent's been set the people involved only become more willing to resort to such actions, not less, and every implementation represents the further erosion of the social fabric.

I had beers a few weeks ago with a guy from Venezuela who loathes Chavez. I can't imagine he'll be very happy about this.

Otis Driftwood
05-28-2007, 02:22 PM
FYI, it was a tv-station. Putin did the same over a year ago in Russia. But that's ok, cause he's no dirty commie like Chavez who's holding out on all that oil meant for american SUVs... :rolleyes:

battyriders
06-02-2007, 07:13 AM
he did not close it down, he did not renew its licence on expiry and in fact this tv station was instramentle in the coup to overthrough chavez, and indeed things like this happen all over for instance here in the uk in 1992 thatcher did the same with a company called thames television.

freetibet
06-02-2007, 01:26 PM
FYI, it was a tv-station. Putin did the same over a year ago in Russia. But that's ok, cause he's no dirty commie like Chavez who's holding out on all that oil meant for american SUVs... :rolleyes:

Putin is NOT O.K. Oh no.

But Western leaders who used to treat him like a democrat are even not-okay-er. [Schroeder, Chirac]

Thames was closed down in such a way? Wow. I think Thames, I think Benny Hill.

battyriders
06-03-2007, 08:35 AM
yes thats right the channel that put benny hill on our screens, ahhh great memories

Resco
06-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah, if you read deeper this story isn't as bad as it first appears. Unfortunately not all of those who have access to media production and distribution choose to use that access responsibly, and it unfortunately binds governments to this position where they can have a deregulated free for all, or an strict protectionist regime. I'm not passing judgment on this particular case, but if the halted renewal of a station license prevented the emergence of another FOX, i'm down for whatever.