PDA

View Full Version : How was MMM?

pshabi
05-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Anybody catch either of his sets this weekend?

DandyFop
05-28-2007, 10:48 PM
It was too early to get to his sets for me and I think most people - so fucking hot and you knew you were going to be in there all day long. I didn't make it to either.

YoungRemy
05-28-2007, 10:54 PM
rumor has it that he was "ill"
i saw his set on Sunday afternoon.
he also played a mini-set between the beastie boys act and encore...

dee$oney
05-29-2007, 03:04 PM
MMM was lettin' loose with music the crowd was into. Lots of Led, hair rock, some tight references to old skool. Compared to his involvment in the BB set at 10:30 he was on fire Bronx style. Very little from MMM on the new stuff.He added a little, but half the time was not in view......

Dee$oney

mathcart
05-29-2007, 04:06 PM
My only "damm, I missed him" disapointment of the weekend. Arrived at the Gorge after his set was over on Saturday and cut it too close on Sunday as it took for-fuckin-ever for them to get people in on Sunday (I got to the line at the gate 10 mins before MMM set was sceduled to start and didn't get into into the next act was on stage! Oh well!
As for his involvement or lack thereof on Sunday, this was a hot topic among me and my friends, as it appears is starting to be here. I hear the "MMM ain't doing anything" vibe that a lot of people are on, and I agree they maybe can throw him center stage for his own mini set a few more times. However,when he's there he's so fuckin on, I think he suffers from how truely effortless his incredible dj-ing is. Its like Quentin Tarrantino once said," you get punished for doing violence TOO good"- except here where it looks like he is gliding through a diminished amount of songs but in fact he is still doing work when hes on. And I AM fully acknowledging he has a lesser role in the stage show at his point- I do think that when the stadium shows start in the fall all this noise will be silenced as they will expanded the shows which will certainly include more MMM. What he does is so dope, the way he switches up beats, he has standards that he throws into certain jams (breathe for one) but he throws so many beats into songs now, on a few songs he was switching up about every verse. Again, my point is that he makes it look SOOOO easy, that it seems like he is doing less when he's on stage. Just wanted to put that out there.

paulb
05-29-2007, 04:14 PM
None of my posse saw him, it was too early, and line ups to get in were very long and slow. It would have been nice, but at Sassy I was only there for the Beastie Boys, anyone else I saw that weekend was a bonus. Ghostland Observatory were fuckin sweet though!

hairdu44
05-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I saw some of his set on Sunday. I walked in and he was on, left for a bit and came back for the end. What I saw was good, but after all he is MMM and is one hell of a DJ.

sea_dragon
05-29-2007, 05:01 PM
None of my posse saw him, it was too early, and line ups to get in were very long and slow. It would have been nice, but at Sassy I was only there for the Beastie Boys, anyone else I saw that weekend was a bonus. Ghostland Observatory were fuckin sweet though!

Hell ya they were! Did you catch Arcade Fire?

I missed him too, the group I ended up camping with were not exactly concerned with timeliness - we didn't get in until after 2:00 either day.

kll
05-29-2007, 06:52 PM
We had premier camping, which put us on a shuttle that let us in at the plaza entry, so we were able to be the first 20 people into the festival both days. We saw MMM from the rail on the first day and from the lawn the second day. His set was the same both days, just in different order. He definitely gets you moving and it appears that his wife has to continuously keep him on track for time.

mik
05-29-2007, 08:22 PM
I thought he was great

DJ_Skrilla
05-29-2007, 11:24 PM
We saw MMM from the rail on the first day and from the lawn the second day. His set was the same both days, just in different order.

Wow thats lame.... He has been doing that same set for a while now. Dont get me wrong he kills it whenever he plays, but he needs to switch up the Zep, the Rage Against The Machine, etc... IMO its lame 2 play (DJ) the same songs 2 days in a row, but I guess the Beastie Boys did play pretty consistently the same set for days in the past. Which is comparing apples to oranges, because Beasties have to choose from their own songs, and Mix Master can choose from infinite realm of all music.

/rant off

Ravin
05-31-2007, 11:38 AM
We had premier camping, which put us on a shuttle that let us in at the plaza entry, so we were able to be the first 20 people into the festival both days. We saw MMM from the rail on the first day and from the lawn the second day. His set was the same both days, just in different order. He definitely gets you moving and it appears that his wife has to continuously keep him on track for time.

We were in premier too. We skipped MMMs first set on Satruday to catch the Yeti stage, figuring we would see him Sunday. My wife locked the keys and tickets in the car Sunday morning and we missed the first half of his set. We caught the last 3-4 records he dropped, one of which I picked up in 2002. It was nice to see him cut beats I have so I could take notes! What I saw was UNBELIEVABLE!

kll
05-31-2007, 03:08 PM
We were in premier too. We skipped MMMs first set on Satruday to catch the Yeti stage, figuring we would see him Sunday. My wife locked the keys and tickets in the car Sunday morning and we missed the first half of his set. We caught the last 3-4 records he dropped, one of which I picked up in 2002. It was nice to see him cut beats I have so I could take notes! What I saw was UNBELIEVABLE!

We saw the guy walking around with the slimjim to get into everyone's cars on Sunday morning. You must've been one of the victims!

Ravin
05-31-2007, 05:37 PM
We saw the guy walking around with the slimjim to get into everyone's cars on Sunday morning. You must've been one of the victims!
It wasn't so bad. $50.....20-30 less than what I'd pay in Portland. Some guy lost his key altogether and had to have a mobile locksmith come out. Wonder how much that cost:eek:

magmazing
06-01-2007, 04:16 AM
Just to show how good MMM is, I was at Sunday's set and every so often he'd turn away to talk to someone on the stage as if he couldn't hear or something. Maybe he wasn't getting the right stuff from his monitor speakers or something, but despite that he was flawlessly mixing.

here's 5 minutes of his Sunday set for those who missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aenGaIuCIrU