PDA

View Full Version : I'm depressed.

jackrock
06-01-2007, 11:07 AM
All my life I've (and everyone I know) used used Aunt Jemima syrup. The strange thing is that i have never seen any other brands or kinds of syrup in stores. Considering the country I live in, i should be buying glass flasks full of thick, real syrup off the streets. I've never really been satisfied by Aunt Jemima, but I'm now starting to realize it.

I'm willing to do almost anything, even if it means buying it off the internet. Although, I'd never feel good buying food off ebay, even if it's something I should be able to find extremely easy.

If someone has been in a similar situation, please tell me it will get better... It has to.
/sigh.

abcdefz
06-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Maple syrup is expensive, even in Canada.

Want to make your own cheap pancake syrup?

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water

Bring to a boil just barely. Don't overdo it.

There. Pancake syrup.

Yorkshire~Rose
06-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Maple syrup is expensive, even in Canada.

Want to make your own cheap pancake syrup?

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water

Bring to a boil just barely

This is where i went wrong. Hello black sticky mess. Goodbye pan.

abcdefz
06-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah -- it's awful if you let it go. Basically, as soon as you see it's... not "simmering"... what's the word...? But pretty much once you see that firs bubble boil up, you get it off the heat.

I'm going by memory, so I'll double-check real fast. I haven't made pancake syrup in 25 years, probably...

abcdefz
06-01-2007, 11:17 AM
The other things I see in 60 seconds of Googling seem to say bring to boil, then simmer. From what I remember, the moment when it boils, all the sugars have gotten together and shaken hands and are down with the water so everything is one syrupy party. If you keep cooking the party after that, everything goes to Hades.

jackrock
06-01-2007, 11:39 AM
There's no IHOP in my town :(

Pete's sake.

BangkokB
06-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Denny's Chicken Skillet Platter w/ all the trimmings makes the world go round

jackrock
06-01-2007, 11:47 AM
I think so. But I can never remember where it is. Would a hotel restaurant work?

abcdefz
06-01-2007, 11:47 AM
There's no IHOP in my town :(

Pete's sake.

Ironic, since they're "International." :D

Dennis Miller had a funny riff about that stuff.

abcdefz
06-01-2007, 11:48 AM
I think so. But I can never remember where it is. Would a hotel restaurant work?

A lot of fast food restaurants that serve breakfast have little syrup packs they give out. Maybe squirrel away an extra one or two per trip. Ask for one for your hamburger, etc.

ggirlballa
06-01-2007, 11:51 AM
road trip....

Schmeltz
06-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Man, just go to Safeway and get a bottle of syrup. Sure it costs like six bones, but it's probably going to last you at least a year and it's way better than Aunt Jemima.