PDA

View Full Version : *Spoiler* One thing about The Mix-Up

Kid Presentable
06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Don't read if you don't want to, please. Far be it for me to ruin your experience of the album.

The three note Bassline of The Rat Cage, it sort of becomes a leitmotif from that point of the album onwards. Anybody else noticing that? It turns up at the end of Kangaroo Rat, and The Melee is pretty much The Rat Cage part 2.

I know, not the same notes exactly. But the same bassline in my head. There's another instance that's escaping me right now. Really surprising.

Brother McDuff
06-04-2007, 08:12 PM
...and The Melee is pretty much The Rat Cage part 2.

ummmm......we must be listening to a different album. i dont find either of these two tracks to be any more similar than any of the others.

i do see what you're saying about the bass playing, over the whole album. there's a lot of single note bass clusters. very minimal bass playing, focused more with holding down the low end than being super melodic. less busy than ill communication and cyh. its always nice to see a style change-up.

Kid Presentable
06-04-2007, 08:17 PM
ummmm......we must be listening to a different album. i dont find either of these two tracks to be any more similar than any of the others.

i do see what you're saying about the bass playing, over the whole album. there's a lot of single note bass clusters. very minimal bass playing, focused more with holding down the low end than being super melodic. less busy than ill communication and cyh. its always nice to see a style change-up.

When the dum-dum-dum-dum-dum ner dum-dum-dum-dum-ner-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum (lyrics? Beastiemaina?) part struck on The Melee I didn't think I'd changed songs. And it's there in effect at the end of the album.

Documad
06-04-2007, 08:27 PM
You're saying that Yauch is an uninspired bassplayer?

gorilla
06-04-2007, 08:28 PM
there is something about the basslines on this album.....

don't know what exactly it is but...... when i put my finger on it... i'll let you know....
the simplicity..... the tone.... i don't know....

Kid Presentable
06-04-2007, 08:29 PM
You're saying that Yauch is an uninspired bassplayer?

No No, not at all. I can't figure it out, but it bugs me. The playing is great. The stylistic change is good, it's just in the context of the album.....I dunno. It detracts more than it adds for me. I only really notice it once the Rat Cage has been up. I really don't like that song one bit. And I think it's because of this.

Documad
06-04-2007, 08:33 PM
No No, not at all. I can't figure it out, but it bugs me. The playing is great. The stylistic change is good, it's just in the context of the album.....I dunno. It detracts more than it adds for me. I only really notice it once the Rat Cage has been up. I really don't like that song one bit. And I think it's because of this.

I will fixate on one noise in an album and it will ruin the experience for me. Then I'll put it away for six months and I'll be able to listen to it with new ears. I suspect that it's just a mood I get into.

Perhaps you should try playing it with different speakers, on different equipment. I have a Peter Gabriel record that has always bothered me so I played around with the EQ settings until I could listen to it. It still bugs me though.

pip07
06-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I say you listen to it with other songs / instrumentals mixed in

Nothing like a little POW in between Electric Worm and 14th St. Break

Kid Presentable
06-04-2007, 08:50 PM
The seven best songs off this would sound good interspersed with the 7 best off TT5B, plus maybe Mullet-Head and Nothing to Say thrown in. Not in an alternating fashion either, more like building a Check Your Head-ish thingadingdingdindgding dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-ner-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-ner -dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum