PDA

View Full Version : The Mix-Up to be sold at Starbucks...

BeastieAlbum07
06-09-2007, 11:12 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070609/music_nm/beastie_dc_1

mathcart
06-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Theres a lot to be distressed about here, but all I can focus on right now is this:

"The 12 tracks on "The Mix-Up" are all new and were never seriously considered for lyrics, although Diamond concedes that the band is mulling highly tentative plans to release a second version of the record with guest vocalists. "The more we kept working on these songs, the happier with them we became, and the more confused in terms of where there was room to put vocals on them," he says."

***"highly tenative"***
DAMM!(n):(

milkboy009
06-09-2007, 11:36 AM
as shitty as that sounds.... if you ever look at the collection of music they sell there its not bad.
And like I could like for sure drink like drink a caramel frappachino while I groove to Off the Grid!:D

Kid Presentable
06-09-2007, 11:53 AM
"Broad list of songs to choose from" indeed. Who cares where the album is sold? Let's see how broadly they're looking at this list. (y)

Documad
06-09-2007, 11:58 AM
This shit is seriously misleading. The article makes it sound like they're playing non-vocal gigs. The Seattle club show was not non-vocal. It's unclear what the Beasties think these "gala" shows are even supposed to be, but thank god they're not non-vocal.

Starbucks has loads of cool music, and it's to the Beasties' credit if Starbucks is willing to stock their new CD.

Rock On
06-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Anyone else starting to think this album is going to be a major release for the band?

When I first heard they were doing an all instrumental album I figured it wouldn't sell much, but that the Beasties weren't making music to sell units, they were making what they wanted PERIOD.

But I'm starting to think it's going to be major. It's getting a lot of "buzz" and I wouldn't be surprised if it outperformed TT5B in sales, which would be absolutely amazing considering TT5B went Platinum.
I'm still holding out hope that when they do a US tour that it'll be at the smaller venues.

YoungRemy
06-09-2007, 12:43 PM
hear music is the starbucks record label and retail branch... according to wikipedis they are a top 40 retail chain as far as music oriented sales, so I wouldnt complain...

as far as their gala event shows, expect to see exactly what they promise, ie, an exclusive instrumental show...

every song on the night of the gala will be played exclusively with instruments...

whats all the hubbub?

funk63
06-09-2007, 01:34 PM
thats pretty awesome i think. good exposure to people with money.

Brother McDuff
06-09-2007, 02:05 PM
it makes complete sense. i can definitely hear "freaky hijiki" modestly wafting through a room of hot lattes and newspapers. really though, this music is perfect for coffeeshop atmospheres. i wouldnt be bothered by it, starbucks has respectable taste in the music they sell in their stores. you never see any poppy commercial bullshit; usually like bob dylan, miles davis, and those types. and now the beasties.(y)

PheonixFire
06-09-2007, 02:06 PM
this is odd.... i was in starbucks the other day. as i stood there waiting for my drink.... listening to whatever they were playing... i thought.... "the mix up would be the perfect cd to have here. i would dig commin in here and hearing it." just thought i'd mention that.

Documad
06-09-2007, 03:38 PM
as far as their gala event shows, expect to see exactly what they promise, ie, an exclusive instrumental show...

every song on the night of the gala will be played exclusively with instruments...

whats all the hubbub?
Because an "instrumental" album means no vocals, I originally thought that an "instrumental" show meant no vocals. I do not care to stand for 5-6 hours and pay $60+ to hear the Beasties play instruments if there will be no vocals. If an instrumental show just means that they play instruments AND have some vocals, then I'd like to see a couple of shows.

"Gala event" is meaningless. They may find it funny that the shows are the opposite of gala events, and maybe I'll be in on the joke at some point. :rolleyes:

YoungRemy
06-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Because an "instrumental" album means no vocals, I originally thought that an "instrumental" show meant no vocals. I do not care to stand for 5-6 hours and pay $60+ to hear the Beasties play instruments if there will be no vocals. If an instrumental show just means that they play instruments AND have some vocals, then I'd like to see a couple of shows.

"Gala event" is meaningless. They may find it funny that the shows are the opposite of gala events, and maybe I'll be in on the joke at some point. :rolleyes:

you won't be disappointed, they will bring out all the stops and surprise everyone with their arrangements and revamped style... you will hear songs they havent played in years... the only venue I see them playing all songs with no vocals would be "Montreux," but looking at the history of the Montreux Jazz Festival and the lineup of artists that have performed there, they will probably play a few of their hardcore songs and CYH/IC arrangements as well...

I am going out on a limb, but I think the "Gala Event" shows will be more intimate, club venues, with little participation from MMM, with the arena tour continuing where The Pageant left off... Intergalactic, So Whatcha Want, Ch-Check It Out, and so on...

Rock On
06-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the "Gala Event" shows are going to be the same show as the Headlining shows, just on the smaller stage.

A cool idea when they booked the dates, but after Sasquatch they realize that doing two completely different shows is not realistic.

Documad
06-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm not the target audience for this tour. I won't be hearing the new songs until I hear them live. I forward past most of the instrumentals on older albums. I don't like the so-called hardcore songs (not my kind of hardcore). I'm truly happy that so many of you are happy. And I'll never argue with YoungRemy again about his positive outlook re Beaties (after I was dead wrong about the movie :o).

I'm only going to a couple of shows this year. If the Beasties are still funny on stage, and they play a couple of old songs that I like, I'll be happy. I was dreading a non-vocals show so I'm thrilled that everyone was wrong about that. :D

Documad
06-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the "Gala Event" shows are going to be the same show as the Headlining shows, just on the smaller stage.

A cool idea when they booked the dates, but after Sasquatch they realize that doing two completely different shows is not realistic.

I suspect that the set list at the club shows will differ from what I heard at the three shows I saw last fall. No more Triple Trouble and other songs from TT5B. No more Intergalactic. And more album cuts from CYH and IC.

Documad
06-09-2007, 04:08 PM
I still worry that frat boys will show up and be disappointed and talk during the show. So I'd like the band to make it clear what they're doing with the smaller shows in the US before they book more US dates. They need to put the frat boys on notice that it's not their kind of show. :p

It's very very very cool that they're doing small shows. Don't get me wrong. I'm spoiled rotten because I've seen so many great shows, and sometimes I lose perspective, but this is very very very cool. :)

Brother McDuff
06-09-2007, 04:27 PM
it would be cool if they played all of the smaller gigs like the seattle one wherein you gotta wait til nearly the last minute to find out where the club show is. cats'll be postin up downtown in every city just waiting for the announcement of where the small show is going to be. make the fans earn the intimate show experience....:D

Deep_Sea_Rain
06-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Anyone else starting to think this album is going to be a major release for the band?

Unfortunately, no, I don't. With no video or single yet, most people don't even know it's coming out. I predict at the very most it'll go gold.

Oh yeah, and is it just me, or does Yauch look supremely displeased in the Webby Award photo?

YoungRemy
06-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I suspect that the set list at the club shows will differ from what I heard at the three shows I saw last fall. No more Triple Trouble and other songs from TT5B. No more Intergalactic. And more album cuts from CYH and IC.

exactly...

Laver1969
06-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Back to the Starbucks topic. I think it's a brilliant idea.

kleptomaniac
06-09-2007, 07:57 PM
i like my beasties with coffee and cream! ;D

Kid Presentable
06-09-2007, 08:11 PM
it would be cool if they played all of the smaller gigs like the seattle one wherein you gotta wait til nearly the last minute to find out where the club show is. cats'll be postin up downtown in every city just waiting for the announcement of where the small show is going to be. make the fans earn the intimate show experience....:D

Not to diss at all, but that's a horrible idea for us rooted in reality. I can't afford to be waiting around just to hear about a show. I never won the lottery.

I hope they dead all the hits in the bigger shows. Aren't they bored of Intergalactic yet?

Knuckles
06-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Not to diss at all, but that's a horrible idea for us rooted in reality. I can't afford to be waiting around just to hear about a show. I never won the lottery.

Reality kept me from going to the Croc show in Seattle. :(

Brother McDuff
06-09-2007, 09:29 PM
i like my beasties with coffee and cream! ;D

Oh Snap!!!!

beautifully done, klep, beautifully done.

(y):D

KENNY GUIDO
06-10-2007, 05:26 AM
I drink DUNKIN DONUTS coffee.

gorilla
06-10-2007, 08:01 AM
That's wack, unavoidable I guess. Beasties should be sold at bodega weed spots not Starbucks.

Kid Presentable
06-10-2007, 08:08 AM
^^Horovitz shops at both, too.