PDA

View Full Version : What's up with MCA?

OneEyedBobby
08-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I saw the Beastie's in Philly on Aug 1st and was really surprised at MCA's participation level. Adrock and Mike D completely carried the night, as MCA spent almost the entire show in the background - seemingly disinterested...

It appeared that MCA was either sick, worn out, or not getting along with Adrock and Mike D.

Would love to know if anyone else picked up on this...

~ OneEyedBobby

Rock
08-03-2007, 11:18 AM
I saw the Beastie's in Philly on Aug 1st and was really surprised at MCA's participation level. Adrock and Mike D completely carried the night, as MCA spent almost the entire show in the background - seemingly disinterested...

It appeared that MCA was either sick, worn out, or not getting along with Adrock and Mike D.

Would love to know if anyone else picked up on this...

~ OneEyedBobby

MCA spends his time in the background because you touch yourself.

or he was either sick, worn out, or not getting along with Adrock and Mike D or was just chillin that night. or................

CHECKHEAD2004
08-03-2007, 11:42 AM
May have something to do with exhaustion?? They just got back from a long tour overseas... he's only human : )

Kid Presentable
08-03-2007, 11:46 AM
MCA's disinterest>>>your life.

dana
08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Adrock basically carried the whole show in AC. Which I found a little weird/amusing. He basically hosted the whole thing. Mike D participated a bit. And MCA just kinda laid low in the background doing his thing. I don't think I heard a word from MCA until he sang on a couple tracks toward the end.

kleptomaniac
08-03-2007, 12:04 PM
whether he's "on" or "off" while performing, he's always amaaaazing! and deserves a solo, or two. :o :D

yauch is a very laidback bass player, i don't think anything is wrong with him, that's just how he is.

have you heard the heineken hip hop set (http://mic-to-mic.blogspot.com/2007/07/audio-of-heineken-opener-festival-hip.html)? he's sooooo cuuuuute when he's telling the audience to say "bong-bong!" :)

de-nice
08-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Obviously, you've never slept with a bass player. Or been one.

He just gets tired of stupid girls.

d

DIGI
08-03-2007, 12:15 PM
That's just how he is. It's been like that for a while. Watch AIFST again.

de-nice
08-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. I just saw my post.

If you feel the music in your soul an' you are playin' without a pick, it's like a zen state...

:)

the d, that's me

de-nice
08-03-2007, 12:28 PM
As I remember it, and it's hard to remember Seattle (um..), 'tha boys huddle before a show backstage. They go from B Gentlemen to the B Boys.

Right there.

I wish I was right there, right now.

Some of the best energy I've EVER felt in my entire life.

d

DJ Pioneer
08-03-2007, 01:23 PM

I noticed this in Philly too - I didn't want to get blasted by people here for saying it. I thought he'd be more energetic. It seemed like he was casually and more quietly breezing through his lines while Adrock and Mike D had more energy and enthusiasm. I'm sure it's nothing big, but I know what you are saying. It's my first time seeing them live (finally) so this might be normal. I'm not complaining, just saying what I thought. MCA's still the man.

Suavee-Bolo
08-03-2007, 01:33 PM
He could have done the moonwalk or something, right.

someone delete this crap.

de-nice
08-03-2007, 01:36 PM
haa...haa...haa...I almost snorted! :)

( i do that when i laugh a belly laugh)

d

Brother McDuff
08-03-2007, 02:40 PM
someone delete this crap.

hey man, there's nothing wrong with stating an observation. and a good observation at that. it's not like he's talking about yauch's abnormally long ring and pinky fingers. Yauch has definitely mellowed in recent years.

facedownfall
08-03-2007, 03:03 PM
if you go back to one of the bootleg videos from '94 he started his calm stage around then...i guess it goes with the age..a classic shot of all 3 of them jumping around was the picture below the cd case on Ill Communication. i could tell he was having fun by the looks on his face and i saw crack a smile in Philly. Yauch is just being Yauch these days.

Suavee-Bolo
08-03-2007, 03:22 PM
"The Weave" is about as close to dancing as Yauch gets. Half the time he has a stand-up Bass in his hands.
What do you want from the man?

I was on the rail and I thought he looked like he was having a ball up there as well from where I was.

Suavee-Bolo
08-03-2007, 03:28 PM
hey man, there's nothing wrong with stating an observation. and a good observation at that. it's not like he's talking about yauch's abnormally long ring and pinky fingers. Yauch has definitely mellowed in recent years.

You call it a good observation, I call it a false observation.

DIGI
08-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Half the time he has a stand-up Bass in his hands.

......or maybe one song.

mcamuto
08-03-2007, 05:35 PM
if you go back to one of the bootleg videos from '94 he started his calm stage around then...i guess it goes with the age..a classic shot of all 3 of them jumping around was the picture below the cd case on Ill Communication. i could tell he was having fun by the looks on his face and i saw crack a smile in Philly. Yauch is just being Yauch these days.

I think he actually got more energetic for a period after 94. There was some video from dc 94 (some club show) floating around and mca looked like he was going to pass out he was so zened out or something. He is def more the 'introspective' one of the band and ad-rock if the most spastic one. Mike d is somewhere in the middle. They might not have mick jagger energy but they at least have a lot more then other bands in their age range.

carthief
08-03-2007, 11:35 PM
MCA: he's a dinosaur. The most illinest dinosaur in the game. He's a brontasaurus, has been since CYD tour. Let D and Adrock jump around and let MCA chill. I wouldn't have it any other way. He rhymes as good as ever.

Suavee-Bolo
08-04-2007, 12:20 AM
......or maybe one song.

Check your setlist again, sir.

pshabi
08-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Yauch's always chill. I wouldn't try to read too much into it, but let me say this.

Before the board, as most of you know it, there was the BeastieList. It was a discussion group but you got every "topic" in an email instead of it being hosted on the www. You had to wade through everything, even the bullshit, but it was the community back in the day.

I say this because back in '98, people were saying the same thing about Yauch being "disinterested" and not into performances. Well, they've done a lot since then, so maybe the reason is because that's him.

The online community has always been the same with the Beastie Boys. It build up pretty big in anticipation of Hello Nasty. I remember people back then saying Ill Communication was whack and that they fell off after CYH. I don't know anybody that thinks IC is whack today. 13 years later and it's my favorite album. HN came out and some people were pronouncing them pretty much dead when HN came out. HN is a classic fucking album and a masterpiece in it's own right (Oh word?) :)"

I don't know where I'm going with this but whatever.

alikat
08-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Yeah, I feel like Yauch has always been "the bass player," bass in hand or not. He's the quiet one who holds it together. He's the one who makes the videos, the one they defer to as techie. Oscilliscope is his baby. He writes the setlists and he meditates. He's got the Godfather voice and his sense of humor is the driest.

I think the band formation is just highlighting styles / roles that have already existed for years, anyone else know what I mean?

pshabi
08-04-2007, 01:02 AM
I think the band formation is just highlighting styles / roles that have already existed for years, anyone else know what I mean?

Yep.

Brother McDuff
08-04-2007, 04:01 AM
I really feel these last couple posts. I've always felt that yauch was kinda of a leader. not in the sense where he's like the leader of the bboys, but in the sense wherein he's simultaneously the most serious and conscious beastie (i.e. religion, world issues, etc.), the hippest (extreme sports 89-96 Yauch, mr. video director Yauch, etc.) and at the same time the goofiest beastie (i.e. hornblower, the "sure shot" and "so what'cha want" videos, etc.). which, when it boils down to it, those are the three things that've made the beasties so significant and influential; CONSCIENCE, HIP-NESS, HUMOR.

a recipe for greatness. if you ask me...

Kid Presentable
08-04-2007, 04:35 AM
HN is a classic fucking album and a masterpiece in it's own right (Oh word?) :)"

Dunno about that. It was certainly popular, though.

Friis gal
08-04-2007, 06:53 AM
yauch seemed normal when i saw them last month at roskilde. he doesn't jump around like mike d and adrock does but he didn't look like he was distinterested or anything.

I think he seemed like he had a great time. he did do the sasquatch dance, and he acted goofy n stuff at Roskilde.

MC Drop
08-04-2007, 01:31 PM
It was probly just jet lag. Going from one contanent to another. I am studing sleep disorders in phyc class atm. Im sure once is sleep cycle adjust hell be energetic for the rest of the shows.

dave790
08-05-2007, 04:30 AM
Yauch is safe as houses.

BangkokB
08-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Yauch has always been the wild card of the bunch. Think back during the LtI tour: He lost interest in that and rhymed while sitting down for some shows. I think sometimes his "punk rock" attitude gets the best of him and leaves the ticket buying people wanting more. Fortunately, when them perform he's always been at the top of his game. But that was back in 92 and 94 and 96

b-grrrlie
08-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I think he seemed like he had a great time. he did do the sasquatch dance, and he acted goofy n stuff at Roskilde.
As he did in Stockholm as well. Even made a Status Quo pose (http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/7623/20070704sthlmbgrrrliestnn4.jpg)...

Documad
08-05-2007, 01:39 PM
I saw the Beastie's in Philly on Aug 1st and was really surprised at MCA's participation level.

Where were you standing? I wasn't at the Philly show, but I've seen the band a bunch of times in the past year -- for all but one of those shows I was standing up front at the barricade. MCA has always been the one who makes real eye contact with the audience members down front. You can tell that he's hanging back and being amused by what other people are doing, but his face is full of interest.

Mike D. and Adrock are far more animated in a way that translates to people in the back of the hall. Even Adrock's facial gestures are exaggerated. Then there's his goofy dance moves. And Mike D. has just been full of beans lately. So is it possible that MCA just seems subdued by comparison? I suspect that he's just throwing himself into this new suave image they're going for. :)

Then again, maybe he was just feeling a bit off, or he was tired that night. Or maybe he was having trouble facing his latest birthday. :p

Documad
08-05-2007, 01:40 PM
As he did in Stockholm as well. Even made a Status Quo pose (http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/7623/20070704sthlmbgrrrliestnn4.jpg)...

He probably just did that because you were down front. ;)

kleptomaniac
08-05-2007, 01:46 PM
back-to-back hotness :cool:

maggz
08-05-2007, 07:00 PM
last night at the virgin festival yauch was in good spirits..he was definitely having fun and laughin alot.. especially when mike kept callin baltimore ball-town..

kleptomaniac
08-05-2007, 07:07 PM
last night at the virgin festival yauch was in good spirits..he was definitely having fun and laughin alot

yaaaaaaay! :)