PDA

View Full Version : New Beastie Book: The Greatest Music Never Sold

the9thbeastie
08-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Hi there everyone! I mentioned this book awhile back when it was in the final draft stage...now it is out and available for purchase through your neighborhood book store or online through amazon.com ( see http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Music-Never-Sold-Legendary/dp/0879309059/ref=sr_1_2/105-4878448-4207641?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188074966&sr=1-2)

In case you don't recall my previous post: this book was written by the man behind the Paul's Boutique 33 and 1/3 book (Dan Leroy). The concept of the book is to write about some of the greatest albums that for whatever reason were never released for sale in stores. The Beastie Boys have two albums featured: "Country Mike's Greatest Hits" and of course "The White House."

For the book, Dan interviewed Yauch and Mike D as well as others we know and love (e.g. Chuck D) so it isn't just conjecture...it is as close to the truth as we're ever going to come.

alikat
08-25-2007, 03:51 PM
and of course "The White House."

ok i'll just admit i have never heard of that album . . . what?! country mike, yes, but not this. talk to me.

thanks for the info on the book!

kleptomaniac
08-25-2007, 04:05 PM
the white house album = licensed to ill part deux

Laver1969
08-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey alikat, you should definitely check out www.beastiemania.com. They have just about everything you need to know.

They have a great Who's Who section, Song Spotlights, Lyrics, Gigography. Yeah...it's pretty much the essential resource for serious Beastiehead.

alikat
08-26-2007, 03:16 AM
Thanks Laver, I agree with you but that's just the thing -- I do check out Beastiemania a lot and still can't seem to find the white house album listed anywhere. Discography . . . bootlegs . . . hmmm. Any link you can find?

Thanks!

nukeawhale
08-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Try checking Steve Ett or Chuck D or Public Enemy under Who's Who.

the9thbeastie
08-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks Laver, I agree with you but that's just the thing -- I do check out Beastiemania a lot and still can't seem to find the white house album listed anywhere. Discography . . . bootlegs . . . hmmm. Any link you can find?

Thanks!

Come to think about it...you know you're right. I guess we've never really done a Q and A piece on it. Once upon a time years ago, I attempted to write about it on a Beastiemania.com version 1.0...let me see if I can find that stuff so you at least have a rough idea as to what the "White House" release was supposed to be.

LongDuckDong
08-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Beastiemania fell off!

the9thbeastie
08-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Beastiemania fell off!

Perhaps we have. But in our defense our long time contributor and graphic artist (David aka MAVSMAN) retired. As for the rest of us, we all have full time jobs and busy lives with family and so forth. I think we're all in our thirties and don't have countless hours to spend in front of a computer monitor like we did even 5 years ago.

That having been said we still add updates to the site once a week or so (something that can not be said for this site). We also are actively looking for someone to help out with re-designing the site for an entirely new version. The ground work is underway for adding in some new features that would help collectors "keep track" of items in their own collection.

At one time we tossed around the idea of adding the stuff on mic-to-mic into beastiemania.com, (as the good people who run that blog are apart of the beastiemania.com family) but in the end it was decided that it was best left separate.

We've had a great run and had lots of support from fans over the years. We look forward to changing your mind about the site.

alikat
08-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Come to think about it...you know you're right. I guess we've never really done a Q and A piece on it. Once upon a time years ago, I attempted to write about it on a Beastiemania.com version 1.0...let me see if I can find that stuff so you at least have a rough idea as to what the "White House" release was supposed to be.

Wow, what a quick response! Thanks! So excited to learn something new... :)

Your site it awesome.

FrozenMetalHead
08-27-2007, 12:52 PM
The ground work is underway for adding in some new features that would help collectors "keep track" of items in their own collection.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I've always thought that would be the perfect addition for you guys. Good luck, and can't wait to see it.

Another option that I think you guys could implement would be a set list tracker. This was previously available on a Pearl Jam fan site, but I don't think it's up anymore. They had a database of all the PJ shows and set lists. A user could select the shows they had been to, and a webpage would tell them what songs they'd seen live, how many times they'd heard a particular song...and maybe even what songs you hadn't heard live - can't remember that one. I do not believe it was a "savable" option, but if you guys are going to allow "registration" on your site to keep track of collections, concerts attended could be added as well.

Sir SkratchaLot
08-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Dan did an excellent job on the 33&1/3 book. I'm definately going to check that out. Thanks for posting.

P.S. I don't think Beastiemania fell off, it just got to the point where there's not a whole lot of new information. The amount of detail there is mindblowing, especially compared to what you see for your average band discography. When you take into acount the extensive catalog the Beasties have, Beastiemania is nothing short of brilliant. My only criticism is the navigation/layout. When you see "Music, Information, Collector, Misc." you don't necessarily know where to go to find the discography. I mean, it ain't that hard to figure out, but if I haven't gone there for while I'm always like "wait, which one of these has the discography?" But anyway, major props to Beastiemania.

b-grrrlie
08-27-2007, 02:13 PM
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I've always thought that would be the perfect addition for you guys. Good luck, and can't wait to see it.

Another option that I think you guys could implement would be a set list tracker. This was previously available on a Pearl Jam fan site,
but I don't think it's up anymore. They had a database of all the PJ shows and set lists. A user could select the shows they had been to,
and a webpage would tell them what songs they'd seen live, how many times they'd heard a particular song... and maybe even what songs you hadn't heard live - can't remember that one.
I do not believe it was a "savable" option, but if you guys are going to allow "registration" on your site to keep track of collections, concerts attended could be added as well.On Black Rebel Motorcycle club's website they have these have attended/will attend options so it has helped us a lot when people travel
all over the place to see the band and hook up with other fans before the gig.
I've made loads of new friends that way, as there is quite a few hardcores who follow the band anywhere.
I mentioned this to M once and she thought it would be a great idea to be included in Beastiemania.

pm0ney
08-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Perhaps we have. But in our defense our long time contributor and graphic artist (David aka MAVSMAN) retired. As for the rest of us, we all have full time jobs and busy lives with family and so forth. I think we're all in our thirties and don't have countless hours to spend in front of a computer monitor like we did even 5 years ago.

That having been said we still add updates to the site once a week or so (something that can not be said for this site). We also are actively looking for someone to help out with re-designing the site for an entirely new version. The ground work is underway for adding in some new features that would help collectors "keep track" of items in their own collection.

At one time we tossed around the idea of adding the stuff on mic-to-mic into beastiemania.com, (as the good people who run that blog are apart of the beastiemania.com family) but in the end it was decided that it was best left separate.

We've had a great run and had lots of support from fans over the years. We look forward to changing your mind about the site.

Man, you shouldn't have to explain yourself. Beastiemania is by far the best Beastie Boys website on the internet, hands down.

Keep up the good work.

bboysgirl78
08-27-2007, 09:34 PM
beastiemania is by far one of the best sites about these here boys...

as for country mike...damn, i remember trying to steal my friend mike's copy of it...and also trying to take off his framed gold record (or whatever) of the boys from his bedroom wall...

as for the white house...damn..memories...

and for the record 9th beastie..im still kicking it at 29 years of age...not yet 30.. :p

now back to work..
kisses, love and alohas

AstroBBoy
08-29-2007, 12:08 AM
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
Another option that I think you guys could implement would be a set list tracker.

Yep, that is definitely on the cards as well. We have a stack of ideas that we haven't implemented mostly due to lack of time but also a lack of inspiration. We've been doing regular site updates every week for years now and it's getting hard to feel motivated. We really need someone who is keen, artistic and if you know php then even better.