PDA

View Full Version : DEXTER (TV show)

abcdefz
09-28-2007, 12:14 PM
....so I watched the first four episodes of DEXTER, season one.

This is pretty good stuff.

I'm liking the Dexter dude a lot more than I figured I would. Not crazy about the police captain at all -- not just the character, but how
badly the part is written and acted -- but, the basic stories... I likes, I likes. I'm hoping it gets better as the season moves along; that
seems to happen a lot. I think writers sometimes have to see how the material is coming out so they kind of settle into the voice of
the show.

Anyway, so far -- good stuff. And the main title sequence is terrific. (y)

AceFace
09-28-2007, 12:18 PM
OMG it gets soooo much better! i can't wait for the second season starting THIS SUNDAY!

abcdefz
09-28-2007, 12:27 PM
That's good to hear.

This ice truck killer thing is a really great device, too. (y)

ScarySquirrel
09-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I see tons of posters for this show all over the place, but I had never heard of it before moving out here...

Maybe I should check it out.

AceFace
09-28-2007, 12:37 PM
oh man it gets soooo twisty! i'm such a spoiler brat. i def won't be looking at spoilers for the second season. STAY A DEXTER VIRGIN... the payoff is worth it in the end.

cookiepuss
09-28-2007, 12:38 PM
I just recently finished the first season on DVD.(y)
I have to say I really enjoyed it...even after I figured out who the ice truck killer was. I was pretty stoked when it was revealed...I was like I KNEW IT!!!! and there were a few other twists and turns that I caught onto before they were revealed..but I still really enjoyed watching every moment.

I'm not going to be able to watch the 2nd season as it airs, but hopefully it gets out on DVD pretty quick.:D

abcdefz
09-28-2007, 12:45 PM
I pick up disc two today. I'm returning the copy of The Residents: Eskimo that they shipped me which arrived shattered. :(

Rock
09-28-2007, 12:47 PM
I liked the first few episodes, but I lost interest in it by about episode 4 or 5. I still watched it (because my wife was so into it), and some of the stuff they revealed was pretty cool.

The opening sequence is pretty badass.

I hate his sister. She annoys the fuck out of me, and is a terrible actress.

abcdefz
09-28-2007, 12:51 PM
The guy who plays the sergeant isn't so hot, either. Passable, but the line where he's at the girl's confirmation and he accuses whosit of
murdering a cop and an "innocent lady" -- man, it's a kinda crucial line, and he overplays it so badly...

It's funny how much of the acting is really flawed from some important supporting characters, but the show still stands up.

Rock
09-28-2007, 01:08 PM
It's funny how much of the acting is really flawed from some important supporting characters, but the show still stands up.

Thats how i felt about John from Cincinnati.

abcdefz
09-28-2007, 01:11 PM
That surfing show? Did that get pulled?

Rock
09-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Yeah. and yeah.

I don't know anyone that liked it besides me and me lady. Probably the worst acting I have ever witnessed on television but for some reason it kept pulling me in.

Actually Ed O'Neil did really really well in that show, but other than him...garbage.

I have never hated Rebecca Demornay as much as I did after seeing that show. No talent, at all.

abcdefz
09-28-2007, 01:16 PM
She was good in A Trip to Bountiful. That and Risky Business. That scene on the El is classic.

Rock
09-28-2007, 01:18 PM
She was good in A Trip to Bountiful. That and Risky Business. That scene on the El is classic.

Ahhh true about Risky Business....never saw or heard of A Trip to Bountiful.

Sorry for jacking the thread.

abcdefz
09-28-2007, 01:20 PM
No problem.

A Trip to Bountiful was that Geraldine Page movie from the mid-80's, where kind-of-becoming-senile old gramma type wants to go back to
her childhood home before she dies kind of thing. This was a couple of years before Driving Miss Daisy, but it was kind of in that vein:
a play about an old woman adapted for the movies for very very aging actress to give her a last shot at an Oscar sort of thing.

Anyway. Rebecca was in it for about fifteen minutes, but she was good.

RobMoney$
09-28-2007, 05:07 PM
It's poor on a lot of levels. The "twists and turns" didn't really twist and turn that much and made it all too easy to figure out the story.

The final episode of season 1 was absolutely horrible. It was like an old episode of "The Hardy Boys"

But it is about serial killers so it's got that going for it.

cookiepuss
10-01-2007, 02:23 PM
It's poor on a lot of levels. The "twists and turns" didn't really twist and turn that much and made it all too easy to figure out the story.

exactly. it's really "formula"...if you know anything about script writting it's easy to be a few steps ahead of this show. I know I was...
Still I liked the characters enough to stick with it.

(possible spoiler)

I'm wondering what's going to happen when Dexter's girlfriend figures out who he really is....

Rock
10-01-2007, 03:44 PM
That shit literally put me to sleep last night. I think I made it 30 minutes in.

insertnamehere
10-01-2007, 05:51 PM
i really wanna see this.

as a huge six feet under fan, im excited about seeing michael c hall in something else.

on a totally unrelated note i want freddy rodriguez to do me.

AceFace
10-04-2007, 10:58 AM
That shit literally put me to sleep last night. I think I made it 30 minutes in.

you shoulda stuck around. i agree it was slow moving until RIGHT at the end and it was like DAMN! well, i kinda figured out what was gonna happen but they pulled it off really well!

i LOVE this season of dexter on my new HDTV.

abcdefz
10-04-2007, 11:12 AM
I just recently finished the first season on DVD.(y)
I have to say I really enjoyed it...even after I figured out who the ice truck killer was.

They really telegraphed that, didn't they? I actually kind of liked that they weren't really saving that up for some big reveal. The guy was just
way too interested in Dexter way too fast.

Yeah, the season was okay. They've got such a nice premise, I just wish a bunch of aspects were stronger.

C+.

abcdefz
10-04-2007, 11:13 AM
i really wanna see this.

as a huge six feet under fan, im excited about seeing michael c hall in something else.

He's really the reason to watch it. Compelling actor. I've never seen him in anything else, though.

icy manipulator
10-04-2007, 11:15 AM
i watched an episode of it tonight. not too shabby at all. i'll watch the first series when i've got the time for it

AceFace
10-04-2007, 12:30 PM
He's really the reason to watch it. Compelling actor. I've never seen him in anything else, though.

oh man, just thinking about 6FU makes me all warm and fuzzy, that was a truly amazing show. i think i'll watch that at home tonight.

AceFace
10-04-2007, 12:32 PM
They really telegraphed that, didn't they? I actually kind of liked that they weren't really saving that up for some big reveal. The guy was just
way too interested in Dexter way too fast.

Yeah, the season was okay. They've got such a nice premise, I just wish a bunch of aspects were stronger.

C+.

the premise came from a couple books. i read the books and believe me the series really rounds them out.

i guess if you set up a series based on a poorly written book, it might take awhile to get to a better standard.

icy manipulator
11-19-2007, 05:46 AM
freaking huge episode, some serious will be going down next week

Rock
11-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Word. I'll admit that I was like "OH NO!" a few times last night.

saz
11-20-2007, 04:25 PM
yeah following this show is getting very stressful. i caught the preview for next week's ep and it looks like the shit is really hitting the fan now for dex. looks like doakes has really set him up, but at the same time he obtained the evidence illegally by breaking into dex's pad. ugh, i'm so sick of lila and i hope dex ends up offing the annoying skank. i suspect though that dex will end up being exonerated as the bay harbour butcher, with doakes ultimately taking the fall.

Rock
11-20-2007, 04:30 PM
i suspect though that dex will end up being exonerated as the bay harbour butcher, with doakes ultimately taking the fall.

thats a hard pull. my wife thinks the same, i just don't see how he could set up something like that.

saz
11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
well la guerta loves dex and she knows that doakes has been obsessed with him, tailing him for months, and viciously assaulted him right in the middle of the office. and previous to his suspension she thought that doakes was very unstable and unfit for duty, but we'll see...

Rock
11-20-2007, 04:43 PM
well la guerta loves dex and she knows that doakes has been obsessed with him, tailing him for months, and viciously assaulted him right in the middle of the office. and previous to his suspension she thought that doakes was very unstable and unfit for duty, but we'll see...

yeah, but how can he be set up for being the bay harbor butcher with all that...im sure he will get in trouble for shit but not be blamed for being the butcher. ijust don't see it happening.

Spoiler:

oh yeah, how sweet was it when Dexter headbutted him and just casually walked out waiting to be tackled. Soooo sweet. and how Dexter set Doakes up with the blood spray report. Good shit.

end of spoiler.

synch
11-20-2007, 05:14 PM
I figured Doakes was the most convenient patsy.

Not sure how that would work though.

Oh and anyone not watching this in HD should.

It's deeeelicious.

Also, best opening sequence ever.

hitmonlee
11-20-2007, 08:50 PM
last ep was awesome
wonder when he's gonna kill lila

icy manipulator
11-20-2007, 09:09 PM
i still hope doakes wants to get in on being a vigilante with dex. i really dont think doakes will report dex. he'll be wanting to get down on that, add some special ops shit.

fuck, i didn't even think about him getting set up as a patsy. YOU GUYS~ :mad:

icy manipulator
11-26-2007, 10:09 AM
i cant remember the last time a show has kept me on the edge of my seat this much. just finished watching yesterdays episode. FUCKING HELL!

TimDoolan
11-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Dexter: "What would you do in my place?"
Doakes: "I'd never be in your place, you sick fuck!"

AceFace
11-26-2007, 10:26 AM
OMG i am SO glad i finally caught up so i could look at this thread again! i was making all kinds of squeals and noises last night. it had me so worked up i had to take a pepsid after. my tummy was in knots! i so hope doakes gets the blame b/c i want a third season!

lila has me torn. i love the scenes between them. they have chemistry! and she's so not boring like rita. but she's evil! but so is dex! i'm so torn! plus, she's a regular hottie tottie with those ballooned up lips.

saz
11-26-2007, 11:15 AM
i find lila to be nothing more than an incredibly annoying skank and i hope dex wastes her for fucking with him and rita. i have a hunch that she murdered her ex boyfriend/dealer and that it wasn't an accidental fire. looks like in the preview for next week's ep that she's either drugging or poisoning angel. i don't think dex is evil, but rather a likeable vigilante sociopath and it looks like there will be a third season considering that "the season finale" was mentioned last night, as opposed to a series finale. anyways it looks like i was right about doakes and he might be getting his just deserts for being a total prick and fucking with dex. finally dex is back following harry's code and hopefully all of this rehab/lila/new dex crap is over with.

AceFace
11-26-2007, 11:22 AM
it looks like there will be a third season considering that "the season finale" was mentioned last night, as opposed to a series finale.

yeah, i noticed that too. :)

check it, i heart glark.

http://www.glarkware.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=3566

Rock
11-26-2007, 11:36 AM
i was way off on that one eh?

i hate deb more and more after each episode.

TimDoolan
11-26-2007, 12:07 PM
I love her more and more.

ScarySquirrel
11-26-2007, 12:35 PM
and it looks like there will be a third season considering that "the season finale" was mentioned last night, as opposed to a series finale.
There are also three books written by the original author... and I think the entire first season was the first book. So, I'm guessing the second season is the second book and so on... Which leads me to guess that your presumption is correct.

But what do I know? I've been totally wrong before.

AceFace
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
i tried reading the first book and got dead ass bored. it's much better on the TV screen.

as for deb, i LOVE the young girl, old guy aspect. it's wonderfully fresh! and i heart deb. she's got a mouth like a sailor, just like myself.

the one thing that bothers me is that most of these people say they grew up in FL, why don't they have the accents? i mean Laguerta has an accent, but no one has that deep south accent.

AceFace
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
hey SS, our avatars are similar. go furry ground dwellers!

saz
11-26-2007, 01:57 PM
i think deb is somewhat tolerable even though she is very self-absorbed and incredibly naive. it's too bad that now angel also appears to be very selfish, considering that he's after lila even though dex warned him of her true intentions of wanting to get back at him. lundy is very cool for a square, yet wise fbi agent and seems like a genuine nice guy. i like his no-nonense, by-the-book approach. his character and professional etiquette is in stark contrast to the police detectives who have their own little agendas or axes to grind with other cops or members of the force. as for accents and growing up in florida, perhaps they were raised in suburban miami, tampa bay or orlando, and not in the more rural northern areas of the state.

icy manipulator
11-27-2007, 03:17 AM
deb is a skank. i still like Jaime Murray (Lila) coz of how awesome she is in Hustle. whenever i watched it i always wanted her to get her kit off, then she appears in Dexter and 2 or 3 episodes in BAM! titties everywhere :D

but how the hell is Dex gonna explain what's happened? tell the FBI Doakes broke in, abducted him then shot him? man, i really wanted them to become partners in crime :(

hitmonlee
11-27-2007, 06:20 AM
deb is a skank. i still like Jaime Murray (Lila) coz of how awesome she is in Hustle. whenever i watched it i always wanted her to get her kit off, then she appears in Dexter and 2 or 3 episodes in BAM! titties everywhere :D

so... a skank basically?

=P

that episode was nuts! so much to compute...

icy manipulator
11-27-2007, 10:44 PM
so... a skank basically?

=P

but a hot skank that's willing to show her rack :D where as deb looks and sounds a bit retarded

AceFace
11-28-2007, 08:55 AM
but a hot skank that's willing to show her rack :D where as deb looks and sounds a bit retarded

wouldn't you want to call deb mentally challenged instead of a skank, then? :p

Rock
11-28-2007, 11:09 AM
it's too bad that now angel also appears to be very selfish, considering that he's after lila even though dex warned him of her true intentions of wanting to get back at him.

Angel isn't being selfish...he just wants to get laid, he doesn't care if she uses him as long as he gets some ass.

kind of a spoiler i guess.....

Angel's face was priceless when Deb announced that she was banging Lundy.

end of not really a spoiler but just in case.

saz
11-28-2007, 11:28 AM
angel professes to be dexter's "best friend", yet he was completely indifferent and didn't care when dex informed him that lila is using him to get back at dex. sorry, but i don't see how angel is being much of a friend for dex there.

Rock
11-28-2007, 12:01 PM
angel professes to be dexter's "best friend", yet he was completely indifferent and didn't care when dex informed him that lila is using him to get back at dex. sorry, but i don't see how angel is being much of a friend for dex there.

Dexter told Angel that he was being used by Lila for Angel's benefit, not to spare any feelings of Dexter's. Dexter doesn't give two shits about Lila now. He just wants her to stay away from him and Rita.

Angel said he doesn't care if he is being used or not, he just wants to bust a nut. No problem there.

Now if Dexter was like, "yeah she is using you to get to me, so you know, I'd appreciate it if you didn't dip it in there." and Angel went ahead anyways, then sure, thats a dick move. But Dexter doesn't care. Angel doesn't care. The End.

Although messing with a girl your friend once banged is weird in my book.....

AceFace
11-28-2007, 12:15 PM

and that quickly too. the damn relationship is barely cold in the ground!

i mentioned to my husband the other day, that scene where he's talking to rita on the phone between the two bodygaurds... it was filmed very six feet underish. i was expecting david to freak out over his dead father calling him a fag while no one else sees him.

saz
11-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Dexter told Angel that he was being used by Lila for Angel's benefit, not to spare any feelings of Dexter's. Dexter doesn't give two shits about Lila now. He just wants her to stay away from him and Rita.

Angel said he doesn't care if he is being used or not, he just wants to bust a nut. No problem there.

Now if Dexter was like, "yeah she is using you to get to me, so you know, I'd appreciate it if you didn't dip it in there." and Angel went ahead anyways, then sure, thats a dick move. But Dexter doesn't care. Angel doesn't care. The End.

oh okay, sorry dude, my bad.

ditto.

icy manipulator
12-03-2007, 08:17 AM
i feel sorry for doakes. lila's becoming a real bitch. deb's still a bimbo

hitmonlee
12-04-2007, 11:00 PM
eps 11 and 12 have been leaked. get on it (y)

icy manipulator
12-04-2007, 11:34 PM
what a great thing for a rainy afternoon :D

TimDoolan
12-05-2007, 04:18 AM
what a great thing for a rainy afternoon :D

Indeed.

By the way have you ever notice Debs face is kind of unusual? She may have partial facial paralysis.

icy manipulator
12-05-2007, 04:24 AM
damn, nice ending. must say, it wasn't what i was expecting it

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

i thought he was going to frame lila, that seemed like the righteous thing to do.

SPOILER END

icy manipulator
12-05-2007, 04:26 AM
oh, and it gets my vote for best show of 2007

synch
12-05-2007, 12:35 PM
eps 11 and 12 have been leaked. get on it (y)But they aren't in delicious HD :(

hitmonlee
12-07-2007, 01:38 AM
But they aren't in delicious HD :(

i don't have that kind of quota to spend on a tv show anyway. 350mb is fine for me.

suffice to say im pretty gutted by the ending. well not the ending ending. but the ending for that character.

synch
12-08-2007, 09:40 AM
I caved and watched them, the prospect of waiting a week and a half for something that I could obtain in under ten minutes was a bit too much.

In my opinion the ending fit very well.

befsquire
12-17-2007, 12:15 AM
i just finally watched the last two episodes of this season. i like to watch them 2 at a time, but i cannot get them early because i'm always thinking somehow it won't be a full episode, changes might get made, etc.

i just fucking love this show. it almost makes me forget about him as david.

edit -- icy, florida is not considered the south. to call it the deep south would make southerners choke. most people from florida, born and raised in the city, have no accent whatsoever. at least not to me. and a lot of people who live here came from somewhere else. la guerta's accent is spanish, and she's doing it for the role since she didn't sound like that on oz.

AceFace
12-18-2007, 11:45 AM
eeek! i can NOT believe i forgot this thread~ WOOO the finale was amazing! i had NO idea how this thing would end, and they kept us on our toes the whole time! i can't believe he sought out miss Lila and ended his soul mate. i do believe they were soul mates even if she was crazy and delusional. no other person could be his soul mate and have the reaction she did when she found out. i was kinda happy that he had someone that kinda understood his forced solitude.

poor LaGuerta. :( POOR DOAKES!

abcdefz
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
MUST

AVOID

SPOILERS

:(:(:(:(

icy manipulator
12-19-2007, 01:55 AM
i just finally watched the last two episodes of this season. i like to watch them 2 at a time, but i cannot get them early because i'm always thinking somehow it won't be a full episode, changes might get made, etc.

i just fucking love this show. it almost makes me forget about him as david.

edit -- icy, florida is not considered the south. to call it the deep south would make southerners choke. most people from florida, born and raised in the city, have no accent whatsoever. at least not to me. and a lot of people who live here came from somewhere else. la guerta's accent is spanish, and she's doing it for the role since she didn't sound like that on oz.

you confused me we someone else. cbf figuring out who

befsquire
12-19-2007, 02:01 AM
oops, my bad. it was aceface.

saz
12-19-2007, 12:21 PM
my satellite is down so the season finale is the second episode from this season i have missed. :(

but after seeing the preview for the finale after the second last ep of season two, i pretty much could see what was going to happen.

yay, lila is finally dead. (y)

synch
12-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Don't know if everyone that browses the thread has already seen it, you could give a spoiler warning :)

saz
12-19-2007, 05:48 PM
the season finale already aired, and they indicated in the preview of the season finale (after the second last ep) that lila gets offed. besides, pretty much everybody could see it coming.

cookiepuss
12-19-2007, 06:03 PM
oh man...you guys are making me jealous. I gotta wait til 2nd season it comes out on DVD. unless you can see it on Youtube or something?

synch
12-19-2007, 06:10 PM
the season finale already aired, and they indicated in the preview of the season finale (after the second last ep) that lila gets offed. besides, pretty much everybody could see it coming.fair enough, but some people don't see the previews and some others (see above) haven't even seen the beginning of the season yet.

I've seen it all so it's no big deal to me :)

synch
12-19-2007, 06:12 PM
oh man...you guys are making me jealous. I gotta wait til 2nd season it comes out on DVD. unless you can see it on Youtube or something?

http://www14.alluc.org/alluc/tv-shows.html?action=getviewcategory&category_uid=22355

Quality sucks, Asian subtitles, to be honest I'd wait for the dvd's (or get someone to download the proper ones for you).

hitmonlee
12-19-2007, 07:58 PM

you're familiar with torrents, right?

http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=dexter

the quality is fine and there's no asian subtitles

synch
12-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I assumed her asking for youtube links meant that she doesn't have the speed or quota to use torrents. If she does then that's much better.

I'd reccomend http://www.eztv.it for tv shows.

hitmonlee
12-19-2007, 08:35 PM
you still use a lot of quota on youtube though dont you?

synch
12-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Well, youtube'ish sites are normally flv streams, which has a very high compression. I reckon a full episode would be somewhere between 50 and 100 meg as opposed to the 350 megs of a divx rip and the 1.1-1.5 gig of an hd rip.

That is very much a guess though...

abcdefz
08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Season Two on DVD tomorrow...

Hope Netflix doesn't keep screwing me over... :rolleyes:

synch
08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
More importantly... new season starts september 28th!

abcdefz
08-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, well... :o

There's some big name new star this season, isn't there?

Bob
08-18-2008, 03:12 PM
More importantly... new season starts september 28th!

ooooh

beastieangel01
08-18-2008, 03:25 PM
I really wonder what they are going to do for the third season. I feel like the first two were pretty darn good and considering the second (I won't spoil it for you, a-z!) I really can't figure out where it's going to go.

synch
08-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah, well... :o

There's some big name new star this season, isn't there?You don't have Showtime or do you simply prefer watching them on dvd?

I usually download HD versions that get posted in the usual places just hours after the broadcast.

I <3 Internet.

synch
08-18-2008, 03:29 PM
I really wonder what they are going to do for the third season. I feel like the first two were pretty darn good and considering the second (I won't spoil it for you, a-z!) I really can't figure out where it's going to go.There is a season 3 preview on the showtime website. Can't tell you what it is because I refuse to watch trailers/previews/teasers to things I already know I want to see.

http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/home.do

AceFace
08-18-2008, 03:30 PM
oooh thanks! i'm a spoiler ho!

AceFace
08-18-2008, 03:38 PM
that preview just gave me CHILLS. agh! can't wait!

abcdefz
08-18-2008, 03:44 PM
You don't have Showtime or do you simply prefer watching them on dvd?

I don't have cable.

Bob
08-18-2008, 03:59 PM
my only complaint about dexter is that it's not a good show to watch while you're eating. but apart from that...

synch
08-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I don't have cable.Gotcha.

Do you have a broadband internet connection? :D

abcdefz
08-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Gotcha.

Do you have a broadband internet connection? :D

Nope. I got a public library.

Even when I've had high speed connection, though, I don't do the illegal download thing.

Anyway. I'm about halfway through season two. Though I like a lot of the developments, I'm not quite as hot on it as I was season one. But it's
still good.

mr_rottentreats
08-21-2008, 01:05 PM
dexter was the shit

BangkokB
08-21-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't know if I said this on this board or not but I sparked up to every show on the 1st Season and thought that it was odd that there was no character development for any characters

I thought it was the weed but then I just watched it drunk while on a combination of pills and realized my 1st assessment was correct

I liked that

Season 2 disappointed in that Dexter was given a personality(Amongst everyone else): Which defied all the Laws Laid Down in Season 1

abcdefz
08-21-2008, 01:32 PM
TINY SPOILER

He's evolving -- that's the point. The girlfriend and her kids started drawing it out of him, then the recovery program, etc. etc.

That's actually the part I like so far.

BangkokB
08-27-2008, 02:23 PM
I think Season 1 established that he's too far gone. Do you remember the father/son chat where his stepmom wants him tested bc he gave her the heebee jeebees and his stepfather told him to answer every question exactly the opposite of how he believed it should be answered? He's clinically insane and and his stepdad knew that from the get go but just hoped that he'd channel his hatred towards "bad people" instead of random strangers.

For better or worse: I liked the lack of character development in season 1. It was so out of step from everything else I've seen that it had me intrigued.

Question: Since we, the viewer, were seeing life through Dexter's eyes do you think that's why all the characters were one dimensional?

abcdefz
08-27-2008, 03:35 PM
You make a good argument. I just believe people can actually change, and the fact that he wasn't looking for it at all is probably what
made it possible. I think that humanity sneaked up and bit him in the ass.

BangkokB
08-27-2008, 03:48 PM
That would be a creative way to develop the show but I come from the school of thought that if you don't have a conscious then you suddenly can't find one.

That's the crux of the show: He has no conscious. That's not something that you can suddenly find. It's never there. It's not to find.

Let's Hit It at This Level: Maybe It's an Act.
Maybe he wants to feel normal and he's trying his best "be" a green bucket guy
As the Clutch song goes

saz
08-27-2008, 04:36 PM
no, he has a conscious, because he doesn't kill innocent people, but rather is a serial killing vigilante. he also realized in the second season that he genuinely cares about deb, his girlfriend and the kids.

BangkokB
08-27-2008, 04:53 PM
If he has a conscious then when and how did he find it

I believe that show lets you know from the get go that you can't change who you are. Genetic makeup and all that fancy talk bullshit.

As I said earlier: his stepdad knew that he'd be a killer and since he'd been a cop that seen septic sewer shit go through the system w/o reprisal: He taught him that it's good to kill "bad people". OK: Maybe, there's some sort of conscious in that but long and short of it is he's going to kill people. His stepdad taught him to channel his anger towards thoughs sort of people. Object of the Game: Don't Get Caught. You can guarantee that if you kill shitty people that police believed were guilty that there's not going to be much of a manhunt for the "missing person"

AceFace
08-27-2008, 05:06 PM
^ yeah, but did his step dad really know that, or did he himself make dex into a killer?

the show has so many good questions like that.

BangkokB
08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
good point: he said that i knew that you were at the point when I saved you but your brother was too late. His brother was, from a too months, to maybe a year older than him.

Why the brother was abandoned in a pool of blood we'll never know. Or maybe, we will. But as it stands now: Nope

saz
08-27-2008, 06:14 PM
If he has a conscious then when and how did he find it

dex began to realize it in the second season when he was making dinner for deb, and he was going to confess to her about being the bay harbour butcher. it was a great scene with a dex voice-over in which he admitted that he essentially cares for deb, and that he never wants to let her down.

and regarding rita and the kids, if he didn't have a conscious, he would've allowed lila to seriously fuck with them, and he wouldn't have gone after lila and cared for rita's and the kid's safety.

so yeah, he cares about those closest to him and doesn't want to see them harmed. so therefore he has a conscious.

BangkokB
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
I saw that seen as a prelude to a suicide. Confess your sins then eat a gun.

That's not a conscious: That's a let me explain something gritty before my final act

saz
08-27-2008, 06:27 PM
you're missing the point. he said in his voice-over that he cares for deb and doesn't want to let her down, nor see any harm done to her. ditto rita and the kids. again, if he didn't have a conscious he wouldn't care about their personal safety.

BangkokB
08-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Well Sazi: I'm not quite convinced but you made some interesting points. I saw all that as his saying his farewells and goodbyes before he committed the ultimate sin. I still believe that he was going to eat a gun or something that efficient but you do have a point in that if he was a total sociopath then he wouldn't care about others. Remember when he said in season 1 that he hated sex because then his mask came off or something to that effect? Well season 2 he wasn't a sex machine either.

Suicide is serious business. Most people don't just "do it". It's like a 5 act play. He clearly showed the signs of someone of ready to eat their last supper. There's no conscious to that. It's the final act. Some might say that people that commit suicide are selfish and don't care about others: Then if that's case then excellent case and point.

Personally I disagree with that sentiment. I think most suicides are either out of cigarettes or alcohol and are too lazy to go to the store to get more. Believe me: It's depressing

AceFace
08-28-2008, 09:31 AM
you are insane if you think he was contemplating suicide. there was NO OTHER clues that he was gonna off himself. it seems you're reading TOO FAR into it, or trying too hard to put your own twist on the story.

A. Chimendez
09-01-2008, 11:02 PM
He always had a conscious, he just lied to himself because he wasn't comfortable with making any real connections to anybody. He came to that realization second season.

He never, nor did any of the plot give clues he was thinking of suicide. He hated Harry for it, why would he stoop to that?