PDA

View Full Version : would you work 10 hours a day...

cookiepuss
10-01-2007, 02:25 PM
for four days if it meant three-day weekends for the rest of your career?

I'm pretty sure I would be down with that.
cause weekends aren't long enough.
they really aren't.

Waus
10-01-2007, 02:29 PM
That would depend on the work I think. I hate filling a chair for hours...I like projects. If there was enough work for four 10 hour days, then I'd be okay with it.

paul jones
10-01-2007, 02:32 PM
I do 4 days on/4 days off 12 hour shifts.It's allright when the 4 days off fall on a weekend.I can go to the pub then (y)

TurdBerglar
10-01-2007, 02:34 PM
when school's not in i get one day off a week with 9 hour days. i would kill for 10 hours a day for 4 days a week.

Schmeltz
10-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah I only get one day off a week as well. Two would be real nice, but three would be luxury.

MC Moot
10-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Right out of school,I went to work for municipal government on that schedule,it's a fantastic idea....cut's down on illness/absenteeism.....a long weekend every weekend,less burnout,better for health,better for the economy,etc,etc....like in Spain people average a 35 hr week over 4 day's as well.....when I went back into the private sector I had to renegotiate the terms of my contract as I was ruined for Mon-Fri work scheme......(y)

cookiepuss
10-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Right out of school,I went to work for municipal government on that schedule,it's a fantastic idea....cut's down on illness/absenteeism.....a long weekend every weekend,less burnout,better for health,better for the economy,etc,etc....like in Spain people average a 35 hr week over 4 day's as well.....when I went back into the private sector I had to renegotiate the terms of my contract as I was ruined for Mon-Fri work scheme......(y)

I was thinking exactly the same thing as far as productivity and absenteeism as well. I know i would probably end up using less sick days and time off if I had longer weekends to take care of myself and my life. working a longer workday for few days would be a good trade off me thinks.

Rock
10-01-2007, 03:43 PM
It would be sweet.

Day one - Go out and do something.
Day two - get all the shit done around the house (laundry, vacuuming, etc.).
Day three - sit on my ass all day at home.

The 10 hour days would be rough at first, but it would be well worth it.

ScarySquirrel
10-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Oh hell yes.

Knuckles
10-01-2007, 04:55 PM
I work like 10 to 12 hours a day 5 days a week. :(

jabumbo
10-01-2007, 05:55 PM
oh yeah for sure i would do it. i've put in a few 10 hour days in the field and if i had to do that regularly, i would certainly need that 3rd day off for a good resting day.

i pretty much spend my life trying to not work a standard work week though, so these sorts of things arent new to me. my favorite proposition is the 7 to 1 shift with no break for lunch until your done. yeah, its only 30 hours a week, but i can guarantee that i would get more work done regularly doing that shift than i do working 8 to 4

insertnamehere
10-01-2007, 06:17 PM
most definetly. after a full day of work, my day is generally shot anyways, might as well put in a few extra hours and then get a long weekend.

really i would just love a day off with no obligations at all. since fall semester, my average week is 30 hours over 5 days, with tuesday and thursday off, but those days i have class for 4 hours and those are generally my heavy homework nights. mostly im sick of working open-close saturday and sunday, but i gotta do it to get my hours in, i cant really work any more than i do during the week and be able to function for school.

i'm thinking of going to a doctor to see if theres something wrong with me. im really really tired all the time. it doesnt really matter how much i sleep. it's never enough. i feel really bad about it cause i feel like im just lazy, but, it's not really that, cause i continue to work or whatever through all my tiredness. residual mono fatigue? i dunno.

Videodrome
10-01-2007, 06:37 PM
sounds like you're burning the candle at both ends. all you need is a vacation.

insertnamehere
10-01-2007, 07:22 PM
im taking off saturday and sunday in a couple of weeks here. my friend from out of town is gonna come visit and we're gonna go to the state fair and it's gonna be awesome (y)

mikizee
10-01-2007, 08:47 PM
I do 4 days on/4 days off 12 hour shifts.It's allright when the 4 days off fall on a weekend.I can go to the pub then (y)

Thats the same roster that I have. And even for the 12 hours I'm working, I probably only work about 5-8 of those hours. The rest of the time I'm napping in my car under a shady tree or sitting in a pub drinking free coffee.

Its a hard life.

They great thing about 4 days on 4 days off is I get an extra $7000 a year shift allowance, and I get 5 weeks annual leave a year instead of 4. Also it give you an opportunity to have another job on the side during your 4 days off.

Its a win win situation.

What was the question again?

Bob
10-01-2007, 08:52 PM
certain expensive lawyers work 16 hour days. i can't even fathom how it's physically possible to do that and still do 16 hours of competent work. even if you like, put a bed in your office and just slept there to get your 8 hours, there's just no way. expensive lawyers are stupid

i called in sick to work the other day, but i wasn't actually sick, i just didn't feel like going (also i had nothing to do). but it's like god was watching or something because i woke up on saturday and i was sick. sunday too. i'm still a little sick but it's on its way out, some stupid cold or something

easy come easy go i guess

alruggs
10-01-2007, 09:49 PM
I worked 10 hours today and I still have 4 more days to go.

Paul Kemp
10-01-2007, 10:25 PM
working only 10 hours and getting 3 days off??? I'm lucky if I work under 12 hours a day and get more than 1 day off. Hell, I actually haven't had a day off for over 2 weeks now.
What kind of job is it, cookiepuss?

sjp
10-01-2007, 11:20 PM
hell yea. i also personally would take a job where i would work 12hrs a day and work 3 days one week, and four days the next which would be cool to but yea i would work 4 10 hour days.

Yetra Flam
10-01-2007, 11:45 PM
hell yeah, that's hardly anything.

Loppfessor
10-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Well since right now I"m currently working 12-14 hour days 6 days a week I think yeah I would definitely take that deal...

jammytastic
10-02-2007, 06:27 AM
fuck no.

i mush prefer working 0 hours a day and having a day weekend.

jammytastic
10-02-2007, 06:28 AM
mush? mush?

fuck.

much is what i meant.

cookiepuss
10-02-2007, 11:12 AM
working only 10 hours and getting 3 days off??? I'm lucky if I work under 12 hours a day and get more than 1 day off. Hell, I actually haven't had a day off for over 2 weeks now.
What kind of job is it, cookiepuss?

it isn't any sort of job...I've heard of businesses doing it and I like it. MC Moot said he had a gov job with that schedule.

plus you could still be open 5 days a week...have half your employees take fridays off and the other half take mondays off and you'd be covered.

I realize there are many professions where people work 10-13 hour days and still get only two days (or less off) and frankly....it sucks to be you. :(

I'm talking about my ideal work schedule here. if I ever get to run my own business I would try to work it this way and if I found a position with these hours i would think it quite attractive.

buddylee
10-02-2007, 12:52 PM
a friend of mine work for the Rail Road , some jobs he'd work 21 days strait 14 off.

Dorothy Wood
10-02-2007, 05:22 PM
when I was a preschool teacher, I worked 8-6 four days a week. it was pretty awesome. especially since during nap time for the kids, we could just lay around and read.

plus, I worked monday, wednesday, thursday, friday. so, like the weekend happens and you're like, "oh crap, I have to work monday", but then you just have a day off right after monday. it ruled.

I used to work two jobs, 7 days a week, like 55-60 hours. I had to stop, it was killing me. I was working 6 days for a long time, but I finally stopped because it wasn't worth it. my poor darling boyfriend works a ton, usually at least 60 hours, sometimes more when he's on a deadline. the other day he was at work from 9 a.m. to 3 a.m. and had to be there at 9 again the next morning. I can't imagine. ugh.

jabumbo
10-02-2007, 09:59 PM
earlier in the summer i was working a temp job in the surgery department at a hospital and they were accepting applications for fellowships, so we got to read through all of their stuff. one of the women applying had a letter of recommendation stating that the reason why her one set of test scores was extremely low is because her current position required her to work 60 to 80 hours a week. how the hell can anyone function like that?