PDA

View Full Version : such a waste of paper

jabumbo
10-02-2007, 08:42 AM
why is it that everything gets printed, whether or not you really need it?

my boss game be these calculations to check this morning. two sets, 6 pages each. well he also printed out the rough excel versions as well, so basically i have one set that looks nice and what we want, and another that has half the numbers missing. so why did he print them?

then i also have another set for something else, where i have 16 pages of calculations that i checked last week. when i did them, i showed them to him and he said to just hold on to them, so i did. yet this morning he still had a fresh printed copy of them sitting on my desk waiting for me to check.

i think if this place actually set me up with a computer and some email access, i could save them a hundred bucks a month just by not printing everything a hundred times because i would not have to redo it just to fix one little number or word.

this bugs the environmentalist in me, so why doesnt it bother the staff geologists?

milleson
10-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I typed a response to your inquiry. I then printed it out. Two copies. Can I mail you one?

jabumbo
10-02-2007, 09:53 AM
no no, here's the worst...

we put together this report, as a draft to send to the client. we printed 4 copies of it. 1 to send to the client, one for the company records, and one each for me and my boss.

all of this just for the client to give us a few comments of what to change so we could go ahead and fix stuff to do it all again. why couldnt we have emailed the client our report, and if need be, sent him a single copy of drawings and such? plus, i'm never going to need this report copy i have. if i really need something to reference, i can just go to the shelf of everything we've done and pull it form there. stupid!

cookiepuss
10-02-2007, 11:31 AM
tell me about it.

I dream of a paperless office...but we have to make copies in thriplecate of almost everything. and my boss prints everything. instead of forwarding me a fucking email he prints it out and gives it to me. drives me nuts. he spends thousands of dollars on computers and he doesn't even know how to use one properly.:rolleyes:

jabumbo
10-02-2007, 11:48 AM
he spends thousands of dollars on computers and he doesn't even know how to use one properly.:rolleyes:

i've been working here since mid august (and they hired me mid july) and i still don't have my own computer. every time i need to do something on the computer, i have to find an empty desk. and sometimes my boss boots me from the computer to do work on it, so occasionally i can't actually do what i need because he is to slow/cheap to get me one for my desk.

Funky Pepp
10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Do you know that they invented a special paper and ink for prints like that. So you can print something give it to your boss to correct it for example and then you do your corrections on the computer and after a while just put the paper with the by then vanished ink back into the printer. I have not yet seen it in real life though...

But I print every E-Mail for each job I work on just to have a hard-copy-backup for my records. For example a customer E-Mails me that my work is cleared to go to printing (and this time I mean professional printing). I'd definitely print this E-Mail, cause imagine my computer crashes or something and the customer says after recieving his ready printed flyer or whatever "Oh no, that sucks, I never saw that layout before. You go pay for that thing." And you'd be left with no prove he cleared your work... So, I print a lot of rather uninteresting stuff as well, just in case. :rolleyes:

Funky Pepp
10-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I saw at the store they are now making toilet paper out of recycled paper, and I thought... "Now that's a good idea. Wait, they are not making it out recycled toilet paper are they?"

=/

What do you mean "they are now making toilet paper.." Toiletpaper was one of the first things made from recycled paper. But I never thought about the aspect you mentioned. But since when do you put you TP into the recycling-bin? :eek:
That's disgusting. Flush it, man!!!

HEIRESS
10-02-2007, 12:39 PM
I request that a receipt not be printed out for me at stores if im pretty sure i wont need to be returning anything, especially the debit receipt

except more cashiers are retarded and dont know how to put a hold on the receipt printout

Funky Pepp
10-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Flush it? Why would I do that? Soiled toilet paper can be used like papier-mache to make colorful pinatas for children's birthday parties. What kid wouldn't like a nice Winnie the Poo pinata?

I hereby announce that you may never visit me in Berlin and if you want to come to Berlin someday you have to tell me early enough to give me a chance to leave Berlin and hide somwhere far far away... (!)

Funky Pepp
10-02-2007, 12:58 PM
:(

Fine, no pinata for you!

You should call it Pee-nata :p

jabumbo
10-02-2007, 02:20 PM
I request that a receipt not be printed out for me at stores if im pretty sure i wont need to be returning anything, especially the debit receipt

except more cashiers are retarded and dont know how to put a hold on the receipt printout

one day i was in the grocery and got just a couple items and when the cashier asked me if i needed a bag, i said no since i had my backpack and she gave me the "rock on, you are awesome" remark.

the 800 plastic bags for $20 worth of groceries bothers me more than the excess paper!

HEIRESS
10-02-2007, 02:23 PM
oh, arent non plastic grocery bags the hot new trend where you are?

shit deserves its own thread

cookiepuss
10-02-2007, 02:35 PM
oh, arent non plastic grocery bags the hot new trend where you are?

shit deserves its own thread

San Francisco banned plastic bags.

the rest of the bay area still allows them but many grocery stores are encouraging peeps to buy thier own cloth/canvas bags for like a buck a piece.