PDA

View Full Version : It's not that easy being fucking green

HEIRESS
10-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I walk to my local grocery store, and I always carry all my groceries home in my back pack (easier on the ole body than carrying bags on your arms for 10 blocks)

what pisses me off is that im not treated like a normal customer when I carry out this practice

sure alot of people are now bringing their own grocery bags to the market and the cashiers are very happy to take their bags and pack the groceries into them for the customer all the while saying "oh my oh my i just love that everyone is jumping on this 'say no to plastic trend' dont youuuuuuuuu"

but for some reason because I have a back pack they always just shovel all my stuff towards me and then hurry me along to pay so that they can get to the next customer, while Im left feeling rushed to pack my bag up because shes already pushing across the next customer's purchases

so Ive taken to allowing myself the time to pack up my groceries into my bag and refusing to give the cashier payment (whether cash or just my debit) until im done.
and I dont care how loudly she expells air from her mouth or how frantically she taps her fingers because really Im doing her the fucking favour by packing up my groceries and she can just fucking stand there and be happy she gets to do nothing for a whole 2 minutes

so moral of the story, there seems to be a caste system evolving when it comes to being eco-friendly
because why do soccer moms (who think using a reusable grocery bag is counteracting their driving around in their fat-ass mini van just to pick up a few things at the store) get better in store treatment than me and my poor backpack (which will last 20X longer than those flimsy green reusable grocery bags anyways)

and for the record, the reusable grocery bag I do own for use when Im not carry around a huge amount of groceries is made form 100% hemp and it says "PLASTIC AINT MY BAG" on it and underneath in smaller font it says "you are what you do"

Rock
10-02-2007, 02:46 PM
You should just go to a male clerk. Your hotness would make him more than willing to put stuff in your things.

Drederick Tatum
10-02-2007, 02:53 PM
man, they work at the supermarket, give them a break. it's not like their life is any good.

and maybe they think you're some tourist who's just hiked into town. they don't like your kinda folk around those there parts.

Tompz
10-02-2007, 02:54 PM
i might have to evaluate my ongoing fascination with canada

that's just not right dammit i feel for you

MC Moot
10-02-2007, 02:55 PM
http://www.mutantfrog.com/2007/09/28/japan-creates-translucent-frog/

Waus
10-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I dunno, when I was a cashier at Meijer for a while we had a quota we had to make for items scanned. I would have nothing personal against someone who took their time bagging stuff (which would actually be my job in this scenario) - but a custom job that takes extra time is just going to get me either a)yelled at or b) keep me from getting a raise.

The guidelines they have to keep people from slacking off at that job makes it miserable and tense (for me). I wouldn't take extra time with people like you, but not because I'm trying to be mean or I'm impatient.

Yeti
10-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Fuck those people. They always put a tomato next to the air freshner in the bag. Those bastards would probably put a square peg in the round hole. My market has old men bagging groceries. I don't have anything against elderly but I don't need my tomato smashed by a guy that thinks it is a cleaning product.

jabumbo
10-02-2007, 03:35 PM
oh man yes!

usually i prefer to bag my own stuff though, since i know i;ll actually pack the bags up fully. if you do it right, you wont ever need to double bag when those people are double bagging pretty much everything. before i leave with a larger purchase, i always end up stuffing a couple of the smaller packed bags into one another so i don't have 50 bags to carry home

i too enjoy riding my bike to the grocer and packing my food home on my back. the downside to this is that it kills my one shoulder so i tend to regret doing it every time it happens

HEIRESS
10-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Im also sick and tired of people that i know who are late jumping on the green band wagon (yes yes I know its better late than never but Im human and spiteful) and sit around and preach about how they are next coming of the ecological messiah

why should I have to listen to them spout on about how they are excited for "car-free" day and how awesome they are that they are participating

whatever, fuck you, Ive never owned a vehicle in my life and you are the same jerks who always give me a hard time for riding the bus and asking me why the fuck I dont go out and buy a car.

Im not going to sit there around and verbally suck your dick just because you are not using your car for one fucking day of the year.

I dont use one 365 days of the year jerk, and the only times i am in a car its automatically a car-pool because I never borrow cars for any purpose either so there is always atleast one other passenger in the vehicle

Drederick Tatum
10-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Heiress invented the environment as well, so don't go thinking you had anything to do with that either.

HEIRESS
10-02-2007, 04:56 PM
and I want my fucking parade. tomorrow.

beastieangel01
10-02-2007, 05:07 PM
I wish it were possible for me to not own a car.

Not owning a car in San Diego translates in to:

usual trip to somewhere 15 minutes by car = 2.5 hour ride by bus

:/

HEIRESS
10-02-2007, 05:12 PM
you should move to vancouver then

public transit dream world my friend.

The Notorious LOL
10-02-2007, 05:21 PM
see, I know people who ALWAYS harp on the whole "I dont even own a car and I dont need one"...yet, they're the same motherfuckers who have no shame in calling at odd times trying to bum a ride somewhere.

beastieangel01
10-02-2007, 05:44 PM

I am still open to marrying a canadian boy.

HEIRESS
10-02-2007, 05:49 PM
the only time Ive ever called for use of a car is when Ive moved house

and its to my dad

and fucking everyone does that anyways

russhie
10-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Years ago, when I was a kid, my mum would have me grab a spare trolley at the checkout and we'd have the cashier transfer all the groceries into the spare trolley after she'd scanned them, to save on plastic bags. Then we'd take the trolley out to the car and pack everything in a couple of boxes we'd have in the boot.

My mum was trying the environmentally friendly thing before it was cool. And she got treated like shit by cashiers for it. So fuck em (y)

skra75
10-02-2007, 09:06 PM
hey! watch it I'm a soccer mom. well, no, not really. : /

jabumbo
10-02-2007, 09:49 PM
My mum was trying the environmentally friendly thing before it was cool. And she got treated like shit by cashiers for it. So fuck em (y)

oh yeah, thats where i got it all from. my mom is crazy like that. she has a mad compost in the back and recycles just about everything so when trash pickup comes around each week, my parents only put out a couple small little bags (which she recycles from the grocery store)

Loppfessor
10-03-2007, 02:15 AM
Once again....suicide is your only option

venusvenus123
10-03-2007, 03:25 AM
hey! watch it I'm a soccer mom. well, no, not really. : /

i'm wondering whether i'm a soccer mom :s i don't have a 4X4 tho and i usually cycle/walk my son into school.

i take my strong reusable bags into the supermarket in a jute bag like a big hippy. sometimes i sense the people behind me getting impatient because it seems to take longer to open the big bags than grab those plastic ones off the stand. we don't really have packers here.

yeah, i know, heiress created the environment. that's why i respect it...

oh yeah, i'm getting a compost. yay!

abcdefz
10-03-2007, 08:43 AM

No kidding. (y)

Yeah, but anyway. I use a backpack, too. To tell the truth, it never would've occurred to me to expect a cashier to bag things
in my backpack. That seems kind of invasive.

Yeti
10-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I just ask for paper and then recycle the bags. I am old school like that.

SobaViolence
10-03-2007, 01:30 PM
it's getting better...

if the elctions in Ontario go the way i hope, they will get a handful of representatives in the Legislature.

Mix Member Proportional, Hurrah!

HEIRESS
10-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I would so run for the green party in about 10 years, since every loonie and their mom seesm to have done so without any trouble
but my current job history with the mining industry would probably get thrown in my face non-stop so its just a pipe dream.

jabumbo
10-03-2007, 02:40 PM
but everybody loves a miners daughter!

jammytastic
10-03-2007, 02:47 PM
^ hahah

they charge us 15cent for a bag in the shop. i have about 30thousand plastic bags from over the years. i keep them down beside the washing machine and grab a handful when i go do the food shoppin. but i dont really care about the enviroment. i leave lights on and leave on the standby light on my telly and stuff. i do recycle though.

so im a terrible person then?

no brand new info there though.

pshabi
10-03-2007, 08:20 PM
I dont use one 365 days of the year jerk, and the only times i am in a car its automatically a car-pool because I never borrow cars for any purpose either so there is always atleast one other passenger in the vehicle

Who fucking cares? Would you rather I carry my 4-year old, two miles to daycare and then hoof it 14 miles to work daily? Or should I just wake him up at 3AM so we can both do it by bus?????

I'd stab the environment if I could.

cosmo105
10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
from years of cashier experience i can say that bitch was way off. usually when someone brings a backpack he/she immediately starts to pack his/her things in there as soon as they're rung, however, i always make a point of asking, would you like me to pack that for you? i ask because it's much more personal than an empty bag, and i wouldn't want to go assuming and cram stuff into your private stash without a second thought. but i would never, ever just assume that the person would bag it anyway, and i would never roll my eyes or sigh loudly to a customer no matter what the circumstances. and i deal with a lot of crazies that will take forever counting the same two dollars over and over before leaving your counter.

(side note to all consumers: i appreciate it when you grab some of our bags and start packing yourself to "save me the trouble," i do. it's sweet and all, but in the end i have to take it all out and fix it anyway because you put the eggs and pita bread at the bottom of the bag and all that's left is a half gallon of juice and you blush and say, "guess i did it wrong, huh?" yes. you did. please, just move aside and let me do it. instead of trying to cram 25 pounds' worth of trail mix into one flimsy paper bag why don't you concentrate on the point of sale machine beeping at you to sign. if you know what you're doing, go for it. but otherwise, really, it's ok and it doesn't save me THAT much trouble. besides, i have lots of experience doing this and know how to pack things effectively and safely into a bag and all.

side side note: once at a different chain of health food store than my own, i proceeded to bag some of my own stuff in my own bags, and the girl bagging the rest stopped what she was doing, stared, and said in the rudest, most valley-girl voice possible, "no, I'LL DO IT." i understood her situation as i just stated, but i would NEVER act like that to a customer. i glared back, "i'm a cashier too, i know what i'm doing" and she said "oh" and WALKED AWAY. so. rude.)

cosmo105
10-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Who fucking cares? Would you rather I carry my 4-year old, two miles to daycare and then hoof it 14 miles to work daily? Or should I just wake him up at 3AM so we can both do it by bus?????

I'd stab the environment if I could.

where in her post was she berating others for simply owning a car? she was railing on greenies-come-lately. why so quick on the defensive? stab thyself.

Drederick Tatum
10-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Yeah! do it!

fuckin page three.

Loppfessor
10-04-2007, 12:51 AM
from years of cashier experience i can say that bitch was way off. usually when someone brings a backpack he/she immediately starts to pack his/her things in there as soon as they're rung, however, i always make a point of asking, would you like me to pack that for you? i ask because it's much more personal than an empty bag, and i wouldn't want to go assuming and cram stuff into your private stash without a second thought. but i would never, ever just assume that the person would bag it anyway, and i would never roll my eyes or sigh loudly to a customer no matter what the circumstances. and i deal with a lot of crazies that will take forever counting the same two dollars over and over before leaving your counter.

(side note to all consumers: i appreciate it when you grab some of our bags and start packing yourself to "save me the trouble," i do. it's sweet and all, but in the end i have to take it all out and fix it anyway because you put the eggs and pita bread at the bottom of the bag and all that's left is a half gallon of juice and you blush and say, "guess i did it wrong, huh?" yes. you did. please, just move aside and let me do it. instead of trying to cram 25 pounds' worth of trail mix into one flimsy paper bag why don't you concentrate on the point of sale machine beeping at you to sign. if you know what you're doing, go for it. but otherwise, really, it's ok and it doesn't save me THAT much trouble. besides, i have lots of experience doing this and know how to pack things effectively and safely into a bag and all.

side side note: once at a different chain of health food store than my own, i proceeded to bag some of my own stuff in my own bags, and the girl bagging the rest stopped what she was doing, stared, and said in the rudest, most valley-girl voice possible, "no, I'LL DO IT." i understood her situation as i just stated, but i would NEVER act like that to a customer. i glared back, "i'm a cashier too, i know what i'm doing" and she said "oh" and WALKED AWAY. so. rude.)

It's sad that you can type such a long reply to such a stupid subject....

cosmo105
10-04-2007, 12:54 AM
yawn

Loppfessor
10-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Yes youa re 100% correct....posting in the same thread as you totally equals following. But please don't let me stop ya....share some more bagger stories...

ET
10-04-2007, 01:54 AM
I find that I re-use my plastic bags pretty often but they end up going into the trash can anyway. Which is lined with a plastic bag.:o

Yetra Flam
10-04-2007, 01:57 AM
I also am a frequent backpack wearer, especially on trips to the supermarket. I do find that the store clerks are very untrusting of me, and suspect that i've stolen something, so i always get my bags checked. I dont' understand why women with handbags and purses don't get checked though. From my reasoning, it would be easier to slip something into a bag you're holding rather than try to twist around to put it into a bag on your back. You know?

HEIRESS
10-04-2007, 09:47 AM
why is the subject stupid lopp? please explain. I await your reply with the highest of expections.

jabumbo
10-04-2007, 09:54 AM
on the green subject, we have this alternate transportation festival (http://www.cleancities-pittsburgh.net/atf/) thing going on tomorrow around town

i'm pretty interested to see what kinds of things i can actually pick up from this. maybe i can score a free pump for my bike tires...