PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

icy manipulator
10-03-2007, 06:39 AM
yep, i caved in and signed myself. still have no idea how it works tho. how the hell do you add friends? is the only way you can do it by knowing someone's full name? seems to be the case so far, hence the reason pretty much everyone on my list so far is from highschool. bbmb wise i've only managed Jabumbo and ScarySquirrel so far :(

checkyourprez
10-03-2007, 10:50 AM
depends. if you go to college, you can usually see everyone in your college unless they have a privacy thing. im not really sure if its the same if you just join a network, like a certain city or something.

SOP
10-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Steven Mansour (http://www.stevenmansour.com/writings/2007/jul/23/2342/2504_steps_to_closing_your_facebook_account) had a little trouble with the site.

Waus
10-03-2007, 01:47 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2230765593

russhie
10-04-2007, 12:09 AM
I joined this year.

I've got twice as many people on my reject list as I do on my friends list. It's brilliant. I don't want people I barely spoke three words to during highschool to think that just because they're desperate no-life losers now that they can e-associate with me.

ScarySquirrel
10-04-2007, 12:36 AM
bbmb wise i've only managed Jabumbo and ScarySquirrel so far :(
Ah, so that was you. I looked and looked at your profile for a while before determining that it had to be someone from here... because of the music stuff listed.

Good thing we figured it out, 'cause I was gonna delete you if I didn't totally figure it out after a couple days. That's just how I roll.

cosmo105
10-04-2007, 12:55 AM
I joined this year.

I've got twice as many people on my reject list as I do on my friends list. It's brilliant. I don't want people I barely spoke three words to during highschool to think that just because they're desperate no-life losers now that they can e-associate with me.

oh man, hot shit

russhie
10-04-2007, 01:07 AM
^Whatever.

I just don't see the point in allowing people I never spoke to/didn't like years ago to make themselves look slightly more popular on the internet.

How does that make me hot shit?

ET
10-04-2007, 01:49 AM
Facebook; the other other social networking site that's like myspace with less code to modify and more useless apps? Am I wrong?

Yetra Flam
10-04-2007, 01:50 AM
I don't understand how facebook became so completely large and huge in what seems like a really small amount of time. It was all about myspace for ages, then this facebook jazz turns up and it's bigger than anything.

ET
10-04-2007, 02:00 AM
I'm going to partially attribute Facebook's success to the hipster lifestyle. As soon as something is favored by more than 15% of the internets then it's worthless. I hear people complaining about how 13 year olds (http://a58.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/62/l_267a8a98243b8a46542ec8e3c0b1a8b1.jpg) are "gaying myspace up" but I don't have to look at their pages everytime I log onto my account that I keep private to filter out spammers and phishers.

I have to complain about the ads though. Shit sucks. Also, myspace needs Pandora.

Yetra Flam
10-04-2007, 02:01 AM
that's a pretty awesome and flattering pose, camera in hand in the mirror style. i'm going to try that one out.

ET
10-04-2007, 02:05 AM
I would advise angling the camera so it's looking down from above you. But before you post the photo, make sure you crop it so that 50% of your cleavage is exposed. Also, wear a lot of mascara.

Or a red dress.

Yetra Flam
10-04-2007, 02:08 AM
oh, no can do on the looking down above me thing. i think that i can look really enhance my look by posing on a 3/4 angle.

also, i like how she has a dirty mirror, socks on her arms and a bouffant fringe.

hitmonlee
10-04-2007, 02:09 AM
um i just did the thing where it automatically searched for all my msn contacts (got about 50 friends this way) then i went to high school people, then you farm the lists of high school people. etc.

Yetra Flam
10-04-2007, 02:11 AM
I actually have a really good time searching on myspace for people i went to high school with. My favourite was a girl whose background was a tiled image of her face. Man, people must look at marvel all day. She was really doing the world a favour.

ET
10-04-2007, 02:19 AM
When you find out that the valedictorian of your graduating class ended up as a mascot for a major theme park it kind of puts a smile on your face. Thanks myspace.

tracky
10-04-2007, 03:15 AM
what's the deal with myspace? I've been getting these random friend requests from local girls lately. i did put a new picture up so maybe that's part of it, but are they looking for dating or what? is that what it's all about? Or are they just looking to get as many friends as possible? Am I meant to message someone when they invite me or do I just accept their request and that's it? Is there a myspace etiquette? Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I just want to know what these girl's motivation is most likely to be. The only other random requests I've got come from spam bots which is always pretty obvious

Loppfessor
10-04-2007, 06:42 AM
I don't understand how facebook became so completely large and huge in what seems like a really small amount of time. It was all about myspace for ages, then this facebook jazz turns up and it's bigger than anything.

This is all news to me...looks like I need to get on facebook

Lyman Zerga
10-04-2007, 03:54 PM
what's the deal with myspace? I've been getting these random friend requests from local girls lately. i did put a new picture up so maybe that's part of it, but are they looking for dating or what? is that what it's all about? Or are they just looking to get as many friends as possible? Am I meant to message someone when they invite me or do I just accept their request and that's it? Is there a myspace etiquette? Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I just want to know what these girl's motivation is most likely to be. The only other random requests I've got come from spam bots which is always pretty obvious

it's not like all those girls request you for the same reasons
look at their profiles and approve the interesting ones if you want, i think when someone requests you then that person should write you first, it's kinda like someone calls you

p.s. im still wanking to your new ms picture (y)

icy manipulator
10-05-2007, 12:49 AM
i still dont understand it. anyway, look for Patrick Goodall (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=531593312)
add me mofo's

GreenEarthAl
10-05-2007, 01:06 PM
It's very difficult for me to adjust to the reality that you people actually have last names.

ScarySquirrel
10-05-2007, 01:09 PM
It's very difficult for me to adjust to the reality that you people actually have last names.
Mine is W.

Bob
10-05-2007, 01:28 PM
^Whatever.

I just don't see the point in allowing people I never spoke to/didn't like years ago to make themselves look slightly more popular on the internet.

How does that make me hot shit?

what does one have to do to have the privilege of e-associating with you

GreenEarthAl
10-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Mine is W.

Yes. I would like to thank you and Kelly for not having real last names.

Oh crap! Yours is in your AIM name. Screw you and your false hopes Adam!

HEIRESS
10-05-2007, 02:24 PM
myspace is for internets

facebook is for IRL

b-grrrlie
10-05-2007, 02:53 PM
myspace needs Pandora.
My Space has Pandora (http://www.myspace.com/pandorabitch)...
myspace is for internets

facebook is for IRL
Here in Sweden it has exploded totally the last couple of months. I signed in on facebook a month or so ago. Not with my real name tho, I wanted to see what the fuzz was about first. I got the first friends by searching one of my gmail address list, but there was a few that I wasn't sure who they were IRL so I deleted them. Now I only add people I know personally (but I still ain't deleting jabumbo nor brabs, cause it feels like I know them) as most of the stuff done there is pretty personal. Some people have found me, but I won't add them if I don't know them personally (sorry GEA :( ).

GreenEarthAl
10-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Not a problem.

I'm not aware of the personal stuff that's done there. I mostly just look at new pictures of my friends around the country/world and read that so'n'so has changed their status from sad to eating a taco and such.

So, yeah, anyway. You people have real names. 'll be gol durned.

ms.peachy
10-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm enjoying Facebook. I also just joined, actually because some guy I met at the BBoys gala gig in September made me promise I would. And what kind of person would I be if I didn't honour my promise to some random stranger? But actually an old workmate who moved to Japan right around the same time as I moved to England found me on there and it's been nice getting in touch. He was only supposed to be in Japan for a year and I was only supposed to be in England for 2. And here it is 8 years later, and we're both still where we went. Funny world.

But yeah I'm kinda not keen on throwing my full name out here because my Facebook's got photos of my kid on it and stuff, so if any of youse want to know it, you can pm me.

Drederick Tatum
10-05-2007, 04:40 PM
myspace is for internets

facebook is for IRL

yeah, thats my policy too. sorry ba01:o

HEIRESS
10-05-2007, 04:42 PM
hey, im not on your facebook, jerkface.

and by my facebook being IRL i mean its about 97% IRL, which is the opposite for myspace.

Bob
10-05-2007, 04:53 PM

and by my facebook being IRL i mean its about 97% IRL, which is the opposite for myspace.

that used to be true for me too, but that was mostly because facebook was originally designed for college students. you had to have a college email to sign up. now anybody can join and my friends list is becoming increasingly internet-based

speaking of which add me you jerk

Auton
10-05-2007, 04:59 PM

i just added you, in case you were wondering who "ed _____" was

Bob
10-05-2007, 05:01 PM
i'm not telling you which one i am

russhie
10-05-2007, 09:32 PM
what does one have to do to have the privilege of e-associating with you

on facebook? I actually have to know you. And like you. That's the whole point, isn't it?

Bob
10-05-2007, 09:36 PM
maybe in your book

the book of hot shit

russhie
10-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I just don't think that my life is so cool that I need to let everyone see it.

How book of hot shit is that?

Bob
10-05-2007, 09:47 PM
i'm not sure that "book of hot shit" is really an adjective

russhie
10-05-2007, 09:50 PM
It's my book.

It's whatever I want it to be.

Bob
10-05-2007, 09:50 PM
so you admit that you wrote the book of hot shit! interesting!

your witness

b-grrrlie
10-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Would you be my friend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b-fJxzpK7s)?

monkey
10-08-2007, 02:26 PM
facebook makes my life look like it's so much fun everytime a friends posts a picture!

DroppinScience
10-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Yeah, it's the same case for me. Facebook is much more reality-based (i.e. so many friends from University, old friends from high school/junior high/elementary, random acquaintances, co-workers, and the like) whereas on MySpace I could almost never find anyone from real life and could only be friends with shitty bands and internet friends.

Weird how that works.

SugarInTheRaw
10-09-2007, 12:40 PM
that used to be true for me too, but that was mostly because facebook was originally designed for college students. you had to have a college email to sign up. now anybody can join and my friends list is becoming increasingly internet-based

Do any colleges actually endorse facebook?

Bob
10-09-2007, 01:04 PM
what do you mean by endorse?

Lex Diamonds
10-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Condone?

ms.peachy
10-09-2007, 01:39 PM
I know my sister had a course at UCSB for which she needed to set herself up on FB, a media studies thing, so some are certainly condoning it in that they are actively encouraging students to use it.

SugarInTheRaw
10-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I know my sister had a course at UCSB for which she needed to set herself up on FB, a media studies thing, so some are certainly condoning it in that they are actively encouraging students to use it.

No kidding. :o

Padster and Bob, I meant endorse as in approve or support the facebook website.

I had read earlier in this thread how someone, among many other users so it seems, had trouble deleting his account with facebook. It just seems weird that it's almost impossible to delete an account from that site.

DroppinScience
10-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Do any colleges actually endorse facebook?

My university even has a Facebook application for their libraries. Plus, I know someone who's in an English class and the professor set up a Facebook group for the class.

peterclamp
01-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Facebook is ace, it gives me a much improved lifestyle image as my real life is in fact, boring.
Add me, if anyone can be bothered!

Peter Clamp, UK (Portsmouth Network) (y)