PDA

View Full Version : 3000 MINERS TRAPPED IN A MINE!!!!! YES! THREE THOUSAND!

TurdBerglar
10-03-2007, 09:30 PM
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa - Some 3,000 gold miners were trapped a mile underground Wednesday morning when a falling pipe damaged the elevator. The company began rescuing workers through a smaller shaft and estimated it would take 10 hours to get them all out.

There were no injuries and there was no immediate danger to any of the workers in Harmony Gold Mining Co.'s Elandsrand Mine, company and union officials said.

Peter Bailey, health and safety chairman for the National Mineworkers Union, said the first 74 men reached the surface shortly after 1 a.m. Thursday. "They are all doing well," he said.

Harmony's acting chief executive Graham Briggs told The Associated Press that 75 would be brought to the surface at intervals of every 25 to 30 minutes. So far, about 150 have been rescued.

"It's going to take some time because we are doing it carefully," he said, adding the rescue could take 10 hours. "Nobody is injured, nobody is hurt, nothing like that at all."

The miners were trapped at a level slightly more than a mile underground when a column of water pipes fell down an elevator shaft causing extensive damage to the steel framework and electrical cables. Miners had to be evacuated with a smaller cage in another shaft.

Sethiri Thibile, one of the first miners rescued, clutched a cold beef sandwich and a bottle of water he was given when he reached the surface.

"I was hungry, though we were all hungry," said Thibile, 32, an engineering assistant who had been underground since 5 a.m. Wednesday. He said there was no food or water in the mine.

"Most of the people are scared, and we also have some women miners there underground," said Thibile.

Officials in contact with miners
Deon Boqwana, regional chairman for the union, said there was ventilation for the miners waiting below ground and officials were in contact with the men by a telephone line in the mine.

"They are still in good condition but are angry, hungry, frustrated and want to get out of there," Boqwana said.

He said the miners were a little over a mile below the surface in a mine that at some points is about a 1 1/2 miles deep. The mine is outside Carletonville, a town near Johannesburg.

Boqwana said the smaller cage being used to bring miners out can hold about 75 miners at a time. He said it normally takes three minutes to reach the surface but would be slower because rescuers were being careful. He said the evacuation would take about 10 hours.

Some miners 'very afraid'
Bailey said some miners were "very afraid."

"Some of these mineworkers started duty on Tuesday evening. It is now Wednesday night and they are still underground," Bailey said.

A spokesman for the union, Lesiba Seshoka, said the mine was not properly maintained.

"Our guys there tell us that they have raised concerns about the whole issue of maintenance of shafts with the mine (managers) but they have not been attended to," he said.

Briggs rejected union criticism about safety conditions and said the shaft was in very good condition with a lot of new infrastructure.

Nearly 500,000 people work in mining in South Africa. Last year, 199 workers died in mine accidents, the government Mine Health and Safety Council reported in September.

GOTCHA! THEY ALL SURVIVED! NO DEATH AND DESTRUCTION.

serious though
i was dissapointed after reading the headline THAT 3000 MINERS ARE TRAPPED that nothing really happened. i just wanted some death and destruction :(

Bob
10-03-2007, 09:37 PM
that's a little dark, man

how would you like it if you were trapped in a mine

TurdBerglar
10-03-2007, 09:41 PM
i know

but that's how i actually felt while i was reading it and i came to realize that everyone was perfectly fine. you get so use to these types of stories that it becomes more entertainment than anything else and suspense is pretty damn entertaining. remember those utah miners??? that shit was suspenseful as fuck!

g-mile7
10-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Maybe destruction but death...you serious? What the fuck is wrong with you? Thats even more psycho then usual for even here and thats saying something.

TurdBerglar
10-03-2007, 10:02 PM
you don't think it would be funny if you died in a horrible way? i would!

Yetra Flam
10-03-2007, 10:10 PM
I can think of someone right now who i'd like to die in a horrible way. GUESS WHO I'M THINKING OF.

TurdBerglar
10-03-2007, 10:11 PM
but would it be funny?

Yetra Flam
10-03-2007, 10:12 PM
If it was done in an ironic way, sure it would be funny.

TurdBerglar
10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
IRONIC DEATH

g-mile7
10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I need to stay my happy ass out of more threads. Fucking crazy.

TurdBerglar
10-03-2007, 10:15 PM
are you implying i'm unhappy???

if death and destruction can make me happy... anything can!

Lyman Zerga
10-04-2007, 03:32 PM
im kinda like shawn when it comes to such shit and i bet way more people secretly think like that

when i hear a plane or whatever crashed down i get all excited but it's pretty dissapointing when i hear that no one died lol

i know thats stupid but yeah my life is better when i know that many died! well i just love the drama

Waus
10-04-2007, 03:35 PM
If I die early in some kind of accident like that, I hope I'm smoking. Smoking when you die like that is like giving the finger to all the people who told you it would kill you.

beastiegirrl101
10-04-2007, 03:45 PM
You want death and distruction? Read about the Myanmar monks, terrible whats going on over there.

TurdBerglar
10-04-2007, 10:17 PM
im kinda like shawn when it comes to such shit and i bet way more people secretly think like that

when i hear a plane or whatever crashed down i get all excited but it's pretty dissapointing when i hear that no one died lol

i know thats stupid but yeah my life is better when i know that many died! well i just love the drama

when you get so use to hearing this shit day in and day out it becomes kinda like a tv show. it doesn't phase you anymore.

tracky
10-05-2007, 06:34 AM
at least they had some women miners

Lyman Zerga
10-05-2007, 01:21 PM
when you get so use to hearing this shit day in and day out it becomes kinda like a tv show. it doesn't phase you anymore.

yeah, atleast a few thousands have to die so ill be entertained for a few mins, fair deal