PDA

View Full Version : so, I just got laid off.

beastieangel01
10-04-2007, 10:21 AM
but I hated that job anyway.

still, what a shit storm lately. When it rains it pours. I think at this point I'm just kind of lol'ing at the ridiculousness.

abcdefz
10-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Can you collect unemployment?

Man, that sucks. I'm really sorry.

Yeti
10-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Do you mind sharing what you did for a job?

Sorry to hear about your job being cut.

Rock
10-04-2007, 10:37 AM
that sucks duder. was it just out of the blue or did you know if there were some cuts coming around?

My wife's company is having a huuuuge lay off on October 15th and 16th. Not cool. Its fucking stressing me out.

abcdefz
10-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Hopefully there's some sort of severance package involved.

TurdBerglar
10-04-2007, 10:47 AM
atleast you got laid

ericlee
10-04-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry to hear. My boss called me on Friday and told me that our company had to lay one person off to meet the account budget and guess who that person was? Me. because I've got the least amount of time there.

I raised a shitstorm cause I haven't called in once, I'm one of the only that actually does my job rather than sleepin during the whole shift, my uniform is always pressed, boots shined and I make a point to come in a half an hour early everyday whereas everyone else can't make it on time.

Anyway,I pointed to my boss the fact that this isn't a union job and he doesn't have to lay off by senority. He told me to wait for him to call me back and he did, sayin that he laid someone else off based on his performance.

beastieangel01
10-04-2007, 10:56 AM
thanks all.

I kind of saw it coming. The incoming work was lagging, they are not making very much money AND they are moving to a new location which means they are spending a lot of money too. My job was part-time before I came on as a full-time and still pretty new so it made sense that I was out of there.

Again I also hated that job so it works out.

I'm looking for something part-time now so I can take more classes and have time to make more art and sell my pieces :) oddly enough, I received an email today from someone who wants to buy something I haven't even put up for sale yet. Good timing!

mikizee
10-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Cool Ericlee, a small victory then?

If I was in the same city as you BA01 I would take you out to dinner to cheer you up.

Alllllllriiight.

abcdefz
10-04-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm sorry to hear. My boss called me on Friday and told me that our company had to lay one person off to meet the account budget and guess who that person was? Me. because I've got the least amount of time there.

I raised a shitstorm cause I haven't called in once, I'm one of the only that actually does my job rather than sleepin during the whole shift, my uniform is always pressed, boots shined and I make a point to come in a half an hour early everyday whereas everyone else can't make it on time.

Anyway,I pointed to my boss the fact that this isn't a union job and he doesn't have to lay off by senority. He told me to wait for him to call me back and he did, sayin that he laid someone else off based on his performance.

Nice work. (y)

Yeti
10-04-2007, 10:58 AM
That will teach that sorry bastard to polish his boots.

DIGI
10-04-2007, 11:00 AM
FUCK YEAH!!!!

sorry Crystal.:(

ms.peachy
10-04-2007, 11:00 AM
sorry BA01:(

hpdrifter
10-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Good for you, ericlee!

Sorry to hear, BA. We had a scary time like that around here this summer and it was very stressful waiting for the word to come down.

Good luck with the art. That's more fun anyway.

Teh
10-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Sounds like you haven't let it phase you too much, which is awesome (y)

Best of luck, and stuff, try and enjoy the period in between jobs then!

HEIRESS
10-04-2007, 11:08 AM
seriously though, again, move to Canada

its a job mecca here.

beastieangel01
10-04-2007, 11:08 AM
eric: right on.

also about it not phasing me much... I think because a lot of crap things have happened lately so it feels like the natural order of things to me right now.

And I can't begin to tell you the passionate hatred I had for that job. I came close to walking out a few days ago. They did me a favor.

Ms. Heiress: I actually looked in to immigration and I'm 1 point away from being a skilled worker immigrant or whatever it's called. 1 POINT!

ericlee
10-04-2007, 11:14 AM
time to make more art and sell my pieces :) oddly enough, I received an email today from someone who wants to buy something I haven't even put up for sale yet. Good timing!

Yeah, I was going to mention that. You do a great job of portraits and people will pay some big dollah for their pic on some canvas.

Also you actually create art. Some of the shit I see now pisses me off. I will have to take some pics of the shit that's hanging on the walls at my job. It's fuckin stupid like someone took a brush and did two swipes with it and they're gettin paid top dollah for it.

mikizee
10-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Dollah sounds like some type of Indian bread that you would have with a decent curry

ericlee
10-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Dollah sounds like some type of Indian bread that you would have with a decent curry

hence the phrases such as dough and bread for money then...I suppose.

MC Moot
10-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Here's wishing you find gainful employment in a timely manner...or enjoy sleeping late,laying about the house in next to nothing,scratching yourself,drinking at inappropriate hours of the day and eating entirely too much junk food.....:)

Waus
10-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Whoa. That sucks. Maybe you should exp grind and get that last point so you can level up and be a skilled immigrant worker.

cookiepuss
10-04-2007, 03:17 PM
And I can't begin to tell you the passionate hatred I had for that job. I came close to walking out a few days ago. They did me a favor.

yeah, I pretty much feel the same about my job...it's not the idustry though it's the PERSON I work for.

last week I kinda tried to get fired. I got so frusterated with him that I told him I didn't know if I was the right person to be his assistant and perhaps he should look for someone else. I thought this might prompt him to say fine, and fire me. but it did not. :( this dude is never gonna let me go. I do way too much to keep this place going no matter how much he gripes about how I don't do things the exact way he wants it. I swear when it comes time for me to leave I'll have to knaw off a limb to break free from my desk. (n)

so anyway, crys...I know how you feel. Sometimes getting laid off is the best thing that can happen. stay positive and if you have the time and resources take a short vacation. (the last time I got laid off and was really happy about it I took a trip to Iceland)

beastiegirrl101
10-04-2007, 03:40 PM
with all these people getting laid off...I'm just wondering when I'll get laid on.

Lyman Zerga
10-04-2007, 04:44 PM
guess your lucky strike is DEFINITELY over now

RobMoney$
10-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I was fired from my job of 16 years back in March. It was a great job for years, but new owners came in and started penny-pinching and it really started to suck balls there.
I wouldn't quit though. I tried to organize a union, unsuccessfully. We fell two votes short of winning.
I knew I was done there when we lost but I stayed out of a lack of motivation to find a new job.
Sure enough, exactly one year later to the day they fired me.
It was definetly a stressful time, but it forced me to get off my ass and look for something better.

I found a new job within a month. I started out making more money than I was making after 16 years at my old position. And my new place has everything I was trying to fight for with the Teamsters at my old job.

Shit has a way of working out.

You shouldn't have a problem getting unemployment either.

Yetra Flam
10-04-2007, 09:55 PM
I think at this point I'm just kind of lol'ing at the ridiculousness.

Interesting you should say that. A few months ago i had an extremely bad couple of days where everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Instead of being completely distraught, all i could do was just laugh at how so much bad shit could happen at once. It was truly comedic.

Knuckles
10-04-2007, 10:05 PM
That sucks Crystal.
Hopefully everything will turn out for the best.

Also kick ass job to Eric and Rob. (y)

I'm going to have a major change in my career next year and I'm both nervous and excited.

ericlee
10-05-2007, 04:01 AM
with all these people getting laid off...I'm just wondering when I'll get laid on.

I think you've just made half of the male member's, and I do mean members, pants tighten up a little. Job interview ASAP!!

RobMoney$
10-05-2007, 04:32 AM
I think you've just made half of the male member's, and I do mean members, pants tighten up a little. Job interview ASAP!!

Seriously, it's mind-boggling how Bob continues his streak with all these available candidates running around this MB.

beastiegirrl101
10-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Seriously, it's mind-boggling how Bob continues his streak with all these available candidates running around this MB.

I think I once offered to drive out to Boston to "help Bob out" actually I think pretty much all of us have. . .

sjp
10-06-2007, 10:31 PM
but I hated that job anyway.

still, what a shit storm lately. When it rains it pours. I think at this point I'm just kind of lol'ing at the ridiculousness.

just look as it as another vacation use the time to look for a new one