PDA

View Full Version : My fellow Canadians....

MC Moot
10-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Have happy thanksgiving,have a good long weekend,eat,drink,be merry under this harvest moon, winter will soon be upon us…..oh....and be good to your dysfunctional family no matter how drunk they get..….drive safely....(y)

cookiepuss
10-04-2007, 03:06 PM
so like in the States we celebrate thanksgiving to honor the one good meal we had with the Indians before we decided to take all their land and give them small pox. It's pretty much about how the Indians saved us from starving in the new world.

but what is Canadian thanksgiving about? strictly a harvest celebration or what? Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know, and I figure the history has to be different...we don't even celebrate it in the same month.:confused:

MC Moot
10-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah,basically,we do it before you to coincide with an earlier harvest.....french canadian pioneers or the Québécois used to share feasts with the aboriginals as a measure of grace and a sign of peace.....

from wiki: The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. He did not succeed but he did establish a settlement in Canada. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. This is considered the first Canadian Thanksgiving, and the first Thanksgiving to have taken place in North America. Other settlers arrived and continued these ceremonies. Frobisher was later knighted and had an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Canada named after him — Frobisher Bay now known as Iqaluit.

HEIRESS
10-04-2007, 03:31 PM
I am not looking forward to this weekend at all.

I may just work the entire thing.

MC Moot
10-04-2007, 03:44 PM
I am not looking forward to this weekend at all.

I may just work the entire thing.

hey,hey,you,you get off of my cloud.....por que?...la familia?....:confused:

abcdefz
10-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!

"moose factory" ontario haw haw haw *snort*

HEIRESS
10-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Beaver Lumber (http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/Beaver_Lumber.jpg)

serving wood to canadians since 1883!