PDA

View Full Version : the Darjeeling Limited?

Dorothy Wood
10-09-2007, 05:15 PM
no threads yet? it was pretty good. although I suppose it's just in limited release right now. jason schwartzman looks good with a moustache. also, adrien brody is extremely lovable. I cried.

cookiepuss
10-09-2007, 05:27 PM
can you give me a plot synopsis? I'm not sure what it's about exactly...even after watching the trailer.

afronaut
10-09-2007, 05:28 PM
i like wes anderson

Dorothy Wood
10-09-2007, 05:42 PM
can you give me a plot synopsis? I'm not sure what it's about exactly...even after watching the trailer.

uhhh, well, I'm not sure a plot synopsis would really serve any good. It's kinda best to let it unfold and tell its' own story, in my opinion.

it's about family and friendship, self-discovery, healing. and it's fucking beautiful to look at.

jabumbo
10-10-2007, 06:49 AM
i really want to see this, so i hope they put it in a theater here

Yeti
10-10-2007, 07:00 AM
i like wes anderson

I also like Wes. I got a real kick out of Bottle Rocket and The Royal Tenenbaums. My wife did not get either film and thought they were just plain weird. I like weird. I just wonder how most people view his films. I know they are not box office hits and that must hurt his rep with the studios. I mean people would rather go see The Game Plan than Eastern Promises or a dark comedy.....but most people are pedestrian and I willl not yield.

hpdrifter
10-10-2007, 10:58 AM
I love Wes's stuff. My favorite is the Royal Tenenbaums.

ms.peachy
10-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Oh, funny, I just saw this last Thursday. It hasn't been released yet here in England; I saw it as part of that movie-preview-marketing-survey-group-thingie I'm in. I really liked it, it's exactly my type of film. I thought all of the performances were really strong. Could have picked up the pace slightly; it did lag just a touch in parts, but that is my only real criticism. Very visual - if I hadn't seen it in a theatre, I'd have probably thought it was a film that could just as well be seen on the small screen, but actually, I would have been wrong - although the story would be fine and it would still be enjoyable, there's quite a lot of small visual details that probably would not have the same impact, plus the intensity of the landscapes and urban scenes. Good film, if you like films where people actually talk to eachother, and nothing blows up.

Dorothy Wood
10-10-2007, 11:25 AM
yeah, it would be okay on the small screen, but the big screen really shows all the details. the close ups are so close and crisp, yet the people look so good...but real and not made up.

it was fun to see with my boyfriend because we are both super observant nerds who notice tiny details like the ticket holders in the train car. I think we were so busy looking at everything that the slow parts didn't matter. we're the perfect audience.

also, I've sat through a lot of "arty" films that are slow as molasses, so even though wes anderson may seem arty and weird to the mainstream...he's pretty accessible, me thinks. or maybe I'm just out of touch with middle america. meh, my mom loved Rushmore and she's a dork. maybe she's cooler than I think.

YoungRemy
10-10-2007, 11:26 AM
uhhh, well, I'm not sure a plot synopsis would really serve any good. It's kinda best to let it unfold and tell its' own story, in my opinion.

it's about family and friendship, self-discovery, healing. and it's fucking beautiful to look at.

this reminds me of something I read in the Onion...

New Wes Anderson Film Features Deadpan Delivery, Meticulous Art Direction, Characters With Father Issues

Fans who attended a sneak preview Monday of critically acclaimed director Wes Anderson's newest project, The Darjeeling Limited, were surprised to learn that the film features a deadpan comedic tone, highly stylized production design, and a plot centering around unresolved family issues.

"What will he think of next?" audience member Michael Cauley said. "And who could have foreseen the elaborately crafted '60s-era aesthetic, melancholy subtext, and quirky nomenclature—to say nothing of the unexpected curveball of casting Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman, and Bill Murray?"

In a recent review, New York Times film critic A.O. Scott also expressed surprise at the film's cutting-edge soundtrack, which features a Rolling Stones song and three different tracks by the Kinks.

Dorothy Wood
10-10-2007, 11:34 AM
yeah yeah...well, people read books by the same author all the time, right? same thing. he does what he does and he does it well. TAKE THAT! ONION!

(the soundtrack was a little obvious though, I will say)

YoungRemy
10-10-2007, 11:42 AM
mockery=flattery

the onion loves wes anderson... here's an interview in the AV Club section(the non-satire part) http://www.avclub.com/content/node/67873

still havent seen this one, but plan to this weekend...

ms.peachy
10-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Actually, I would say the casting of Bill Murray is, in a way, odd. But I can't explain the way in which it's odd without giving something away. So I won't explain.

afronaut
10-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I also like Wes. I got a real kick out of Bottle Rocket and The Royal Tenenbaums. My wife did not get either film and thought they were just plain weird. I like weird. I just wonder how most people view his films. I know they are not box office hits and that must hurt his rep with the studios. I mean people would rather go see The Game Plan than Eastern Promises or a dark comedy.....but most people are pedestrian and I willl not yield.

Rushmore is my personal favorite, Life Aquatic is my least. But I dont dislike any of his movies really. Definitely see Rushmore if you haven't already.

MC Moot
10-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Dipak Pallana,consistently my fave part of Wes Anderson films.....(y):D(y)

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/dreamworks_skg/the_terminal/kumar_pallana/termpreg.jpg

Dorothy Wood
10-10-2007, 01:49 PM
that guy's not in darjeeling. oddly enough.

HEIRESS
10-10-2007, 01:50 PM
he's totally my "friend" on myspace

lalllz

MC Moot
10-10-2007, 01:51 PM

ahhhh downer....:(

alruggs
10-10-2007, 07:58 PM
My boyfriend and I tried going last night but it's not playing yet. (n)

HEIRESS
10-10-2007, 08:45 PM
oh, and Dipak (deepak) is his son's name

who was also in most of the other wes anderson movies, plus the darjeeling

Its Kumar Pallana you are thinking of, and he is in darjeeling, but not a very big role.

apparently they are both old friends of the wilsons because he owned some yoga cafe or something and thats how they met.

and apparently he used to be a famous plate spinning performer with the rat pack back in the day.

YoungRemy
10-10-2007, 09:27 PM
yeah, dont confuse Mr Littlejeans with his son, the teacher in Rushmore "including my mentor Dr. Leaky at MIT"

also, dipak, the young one, is the bookstore employee in Bottle Rocket-
"who Robbie? he might be in Literature"

and in Tenenbaums, dad is Pagoda and son plays a doctor...

xtinaguad
10-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Hey,

I just saw this the other night...I thought it was great! Any other girls find themselves oddly attracted to Adrien Brody?

hpdrifter
10-26-2007, 11:24 AM
After Hollywoodland yes.

xtinaguad
10-26-2007, 12:28 PM
After Hollywoodland yes.
I haven't seen Hollywoodland yet...should I check it out?

DandyFop
10-26-2007, 01:57 PM
I thought this was his worst film yet. His style has become too predictable but the worst thing was that I didn't care about the characters.

If there was one more scene in slow motion with some indie song playing in the background I was gonna go nuts.

Still better than most of the other stuff out there, but not up to his standards.

TimDoolan
10-26-2007, 06:13 PM
I thought he got too creative with it. I mean I give him porps for shooting his own screenplay again and taking risks with his uber-quirky characters but man it was a little boring.
Wes has got a great eye, and he needs to start shooting other peoples scripts.

The Notorious LOL
10-26-2007, 10:15 PM
If there was one more scene in slow motion with some indie song playing in the background I was gonna go nuts.

The scene with them at the funeral was "Strangers" by The Kinks...and I thought that was one of the best scenes in the movie.

I really liked it. Royal Tenenbaums annoyed me...Rushmore and Bottle Rocket rule though.

b-grrrlie
10-27-2007, 10:19 AM
I didn't read this thread as I'm looking forward to seeing the movie at the Stockholm Filmfestival, which starts in less than a month.

adrockmelanie
11-07-2007, 02:43 PM
i saw this movie this weekend. it took us forever to find a theater that was showing it. most people that i know share dandy's opinion about this movie, but it's one of my favorite wes anderson films. oh and i almost got teary at the part with the little boys. yeah i liked it a lot.

HEIRESS
11-07-2007, 02:46 PM
wilson brothers sidebar, I watched the Wendell Baker Story (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373445/) this weekend

and it was a fucking horrible mess

though the movie soundtrack was fucking unbelievable and I tried looking for it online but I couldnt find it.
I think it has an unreleased bob dylan track he wrote just for the movie on it even.

Auton
11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
I thought this was his worst film yet. His style has become too predictable but the worst thing was that I didn't care about the characters.

biiiiiiingoooooooo. yeah. i'm done with wes anderson movies. formula city USA. and talk about nearly ruining one of my favorite albums of all time- 3 tracks off 'lola vs powerman and the moneygoround?' yuck. what's with him featuring whole chunks of albums in his movies? if i ever, EVER think of the darjeeling limited while listening to the kinks, i'll never forgive him. it's like his movies are his own little personal indie mixtapes. blahhhh. ugh.

HEIRESS
11-07-2007, 03:14 PM
somewhat rare stones and kinks tracks are considered indie now?

Id rather listen to songs i know and like, or introduced to songs that i enjoy which ive never heard of instead of listening to poorly done sound design by some 2-bit song writer or listen to the same overplayed song used in yet another soundtrack.

skra75
11-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I enjoyed this movie very much

Auton
11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
i should have been more specific. i wasn't saying the stones or the kinks were indie bands. that would be silly. i was saying the soundtracks sounded like "indie" mixtapes, but i should have used the word "hipster." so my bad. what i was trying to convey was that i get the impression that anderson used these songs in the movie because maybe that was an album he listened to when he went through ________________ during his life. but now, if you've seen the movie before hearing the album, you won't listen to it going "wow, that's how i feel," you now associate it with "wow, that's how owen wilson's character is the darjeeling limited felt. what a good/crappy movie."

and yes, they do sound better than most other soundtracks, but personally, they permanently make me associate the album with the movie, which i don't think is fair. 1 song from an album? fine. 6-7 songs from the same artist, but from different albums (like the life aquatic)? fine. but featuring a whole slew of tracks from the same thing really forces the audience to associate a whole album with his movie- it feels like he's "borrowing" the soul or emotion from it to make his movie better. the bottom line is, it feels cheap to me.

HEIRESS
11-07-2007, 03:50 PM
therefore there should be a movie standard where a soundtrack cannot pull more than say...3 songs from a single artists album, otherwise they are lawfully required to include the albums's title in the movie's own name.

I should make a mix cd up of songs that were created specifically for a certain movie soundtrack

she's the one has some really quality tom petty shit
bob dylan as I said has done lots of that (pat garrett & billy the kid being the most notable)

my favorite of all time is the title track that hayden wrote for the movie "Trees Lounge"
so worth a download, its not even funny.

banzai
11-09-2007, 11:20 PM

I definitely agree here, but I still loved the film.

DIGI
11-18-2007, 04:31 PM

Yeah he was. I saw it last night. I agree with Barb. I was very disappointed. (n)

YoungRemy
11-18-2007, 07:12 PM
wilson brothers sidebar, I watched the Wendell Baker Story (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373445/) this weekend

and it was a fucking horrible mess

though the movie soundtrack was fucking unbelievable and I tried looking for it online but I couldnt find it.
I think it has an unreleased bob dylan track he wrote just for the movie on it even.

i heard the same thing...

which dylan track are you talking about , though?

"When I Paint My Masterpiece" - The Band
"I'll Keep It With Mine" - Bob Dylan
"Every Grain Of Sand" - Bob Dylan

Dorothy Wood
11-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah he was. I saw it last night. I agree with Barb. I was very disappointed. (n)

oops, well I didn't catch him. and when you mentioned the guy you called him dipak, so that's who I looked up and imdb didn't say he was in it.

using the kinks was a little obvious and a little too easy, but they rule, so stfu everyone.

I will also say that I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the movie as much if I had watched the trailers beforehand. I pretty much only saw the poster. the commercials give away too much.

roosta
12-02-2007, 12:31 PM
i liked it lots. I havnt seen "Bottle Rocket", but this was probably my least favourite Anderson film, but i still enjoyed it lots.

Yes, lots of it was formulaic, but it held its own.

For full disclosure, My favourite Anderson film is The Life Aquatic.