PDA

View Full Version : Seconds from Disaster! :/

Freebasser
10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Some dodgy plumbing/heating firm is working in our building at the moment, replacing the gas boilers and so forth.

A few days ago the fire alarm went off, but since it has a habit of going off every time somebody uses the toaster, we generally don't leave the building in too much of a rush when the alarm sounds. Things were different this time though - as we went to leave through the main exit, the chief plumber/foreman/whatever ran towards the building asking us where our gas meter was. We told him and he rushed inside, only to emerge half a minute later looking a little worse for wear, throwing a dust blanket that was on fire outside into the carpark.

Turns out that the nephew of the foreman (16/17 year old, first week on the job, bit of a one brain-celled wonder) had attempted to remove a gas boiler in the staff kitchen without turning the gas off, just on the other side of our office wall. His cutting tool ignited the gas coming out and sent flames going up the kitchen wall, blistering the skin on his hand open and setting fire to the dust sheet. The reason that the foreman had looked so scared when it happened was because all he'd told his nephew to do was to clear up the kitchen and set up the tools ready for work - they hadn't even got around to looking at the gas system in the building which is why they didn't know where the gas meter was.

Apparently, another 10 seconds or so and the building would've gone sky-high, and would've blown us all to smithereens while we were casually strolling outside :|

ScarySquirrel
10-10-2007, 01:09 PM
That... is an awesome story.

cookiepuss
10-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I'd be so pissed off if I got killed at work.:mad:

Dorothy Wood
10-10-2007, 01:15 PM
that sounds pretty exciting. I hope I don't get killed at work. I'm up and down the ladder today and using our wonky circular saw to cut new moulding. I've got long pieces of wood with little nails sticking out of it and I'm pretty sure that one of them is going to poke my eye out at some point. or I might trip and land face-first into the saw blade. (y) :(

TurdBerglar
10-10-2007, 01:24 PM
dust blanket? dust sheet?

Loppfessor
10-10-2007, 01:33 PM
:eek: all I did was tweak my back moving some computers today....stupid job

Bob
10-10-2007, 04:19 PM
today i was going to the bathroom, and as i approached the door, a woman exited the women's room, turned around and looked at me, and started sort of jogging quickly in the opposite direction

now i'm used to women running from the sight of me so at first i didn't really think anything of it, but as i stood there taking a piss (i had entered the men's room by now FYI) i realized "oh my god, what if she planted a bomb on the other side of this wall? i could get my dick blown off!" but by then i was already mid-piss and anyone who's tried knows how annoying it is to stop and besides, where else was i gonna go? so i decided to take my chances

anyway i'm all in one piece

Paul Kemp
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
I've been helping set up a new restaurant for the past few weeks while still running the kitchen at my place. For the first time in a long time I had a morning off so my girlfriend and I made plans to go to the farmer's market and then out to breakfast. As we were leaving the market on our way to get breakfast I got a call from my boss. The chef at the new place had turned the gas on but had not immediatly lit the pilot lights on the grill. When he did light them, it blew up in his face and burnt his corneas. So I didn't get to eat breakfast that day and I ended up working 13 hours that day, training a new guy how to cook thai food and I barely know anything about thai food. I was only there to be teaching them japanese cooking.

paul jones
10-11-2007, 12:00 AM
I drove past some sports car going up in flames last week.I saw it as I turned the corner then put my foot on the pedal more to get past.I was hoping it would explode when I was just past it so I could have pretended I was James Bond,but it didn't.fuck