PDA

View Full Version : Gore won the Nobel prize

abcdefz
10-12-2007, 11:36 AM
From CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/12/nobel.gore/index.html):

Gore shares Nobel Peace Prize with U.N. panel

(CNN) -- Former Vice President Al Gore and the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for their work to raise awareness about global warming.
art.gore.nobel.ap.jpg

In a statement, Gore said he was "deeply honored," adding that "the climate crisis is not a political issue, it is a moral and spiritual challenge to all of humanity."

The former vice president said he would donate his half of the $1.5 million prize to the Alliance for Climate Protection, a U.S. organization he founded that aims to persuade people to cut emissions and reduce global warming.

The White House offered an initial reaction to the Nobel win by President Bush's 2000 opponent. "Of course, we're happy that Vice President Gore and the IPCC are receiving this recognition," said deputy press secretary Tony Fratto.

Gore's ex-boss, former President Clinton, said he's "thrilled by this well-deserved recognition," and credited Gore with "warning and educating us about the dangers of climate change for decades. He saw this coming before others in public life."

The Nobel committee's announcement cited Gore and the IPCC "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change."

The award ceremony will be held December 10 in Oslo, Norway....

Schmeltz
10-12-2007, 12:17 PM
It's a shame Qdrop isn't here to explain how this award is nothing more than another step in the grand conspiratorial worldwide shadow plan to undermine American industry.

Well, not really. But it is a shame that Gore isn't running for Prez.

SobaViolence
10-12-2007, 03:52 PM
lol...qdrop.
what a bitch.

and i am sure W is thrilled climate change won when he was trying to secure world peace in iraq...

kaiser soze
10-12-2007, 04:02 PM
dude....Global Warming is a farce :rolleyes:

NoFenders
10-13-2007, 10:44 AM
When is he supposed to stop global warming anyway?????

:cool:

Baseline
10-13-2007, 02:58 PM
I've heard ... yesterday :*

Bob
10-13-2007, 05:01 PM
i heard the popular vote for the nobel prize actually went to some other guy but he conceded defeat

yeahwho
10-13-2007, 11:40 PM
i heard the popular vote for the nobel prize actually went to some other guy but he conceded defeat

Good one, i get it! Just got done reading some rightwing blogs and I'm telling you, this "Al Gore Wins Noble" thing has brought out the rabid dogs. They are really offended by him winning this prize. Of course many of the posters and bloggers I've been reading gave up on the Noble Peace prize decades ago, now they're just gone fucking bonkers with the hatred.

Creepy fuckers.

Tompz
10-14-2007, 09:37 AM
"Not a political issue".

Yeah, right old man.

yeahwho
10-14-2007, 03:17 PM
I guess the way many perceive Al Gore is that he is an opportunist. A snake oil salesman who preys on the weak liberal minds of the world with some sort of cooked up theory about melting polar ice caps and trapped CO2 emissions.

I for one am truly proud of the work the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and now Al Gore have accomplished to make this issue become the forefront of all mankind. I finally watched an inconvenient truth this past week and it was quite good. Sort of easy to digest but good.

Since this film doesn't nix the science like some of the "doubters" films have, I give him snaps for being just technical enough for lay people to understand what exactly our earth is being subjected to.

So the creeps and ignorant assholes who want to endanger us, through what turns out to be in many cases Oil money statistics, have a wonderful time throwing around your insane theories and total bullshit, trash the Nobel and it's purpose, trash the scientists, trash the evidence. Your losing grip faster than the ice is melting in Greenland (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gtpmTPNQONWGgmgxaUoJVxAc_3kQ).

Congratulations to Al Gore for his commitment and dedication.

NoFenders
10-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Save me Al Gore!!!!!!

I guess there really wasn't much giong on with humanity this year. :rolleyes:

yeahwho
10-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Save me Al Gore!!!!!!

I guess there really wasn't much giong on with humanity this year. :rolleyes:

I don't understand your point. What is it about the IPCC (http://www.ipcc.ch/) and Al Gore that makes you think there's not much going on with humanity this year.

sustainable resources via proper environmental management and development = reduced poverty = less societal tension = less conflict and war

NoFenders
10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't know. I miss the days of hearing people like Mother Teresa getting the award. When I think of the award I think of her. Al just doens't seem to fit the bill imo. Then again, there's a lot of others who didn't fit the bill either imo. I could reallly care less. I didn't see his movie. I don't like political propaganda. It's petty, and plays to the weak.

Could you please tell me how this works???

"sustainable resources via proper environmental management and development = reduced poverty = less societal tension = less conflict and war"

yeahwho
10-17-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't know. I miss the days of hearing people like Mother Teresa getting the award. When I think of the award I think of her. Al just doens't seem to fit the bill imo. Then again, there's a lot of others who didn't fit the bill either imo. I could reallly care less. I didn't see his movie. I don't like political propaganda. It's petty, and plays to the weak.

Could you please tell me how this works???

"sustainable resources via proper environmental management and development = reduced poverty = less societal tension = less conflict and war"

That is a great question, "how this works???"

Here is one of the articles I read that brought me to this conclusion, from Slate Magazine (http://www.slate.com/id/2175937/), it sort of sums up the whole thinking behind the choice.

In awarding the prize, the Nobel committee emphasized that time is running out. "Action is necessary now, before climate change moves beyond man's control," said Mjøs, the committee chairman. We may not yet know with certainty what this means for conflict in the world—in terms of where, when, and if fighting will break out. But the evidence is mounting that climate change will lead to more and longer-lasting wars. Do we really want to wait for the data to pile up?

You sound a lot like me and I agree with much of what you say. I do not see the issue of Global Warming as political, which is how come I like the fact that Gore and the IPCC won this Nobel.

The weakest arguments about Global Warming are the ones in which people say it's all about politics. It really isn't. It's really about research and and many hours of objective thought on how our planet works.

Gore deserves his Nobel, maybe not for his documentary, but for the simple fact that he should have choke slammed George W. Bush after the 2000 election, but instead he went off to the sunset to grow a beard and stew on the world instead of that greasy little imp.