PDA

View Full Version : Pseudo greek question

Caribou
10-12-2007, 03:23 PM
This is for people with an interest in languages and knowing geeky little facts:

In a Fry & Laurie sketch, Hugh Laurie, playing a stupid businessman, states that the Greek gave us the words 'civilisation' and 'economics'.
Stephen then says: "and genoymeen".

As I had Greek in school some years ago I know that this is not a made up word, but I forgot what it means exactly.

Actually, I'm not really expecting any of you to know the answer, but I thought this message board could do with questions a bit more difficult than 'where was the last place you had an itch' or 'which way around do you hang your toilet rolls'.

If any of you do know the answer, I will marry you immediately

insertnamehere
10-12-2007, 03:37 PM
may i be

that i might be

???

Caribou
10-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Ok, I'll go and pick a wedding dress....

Bob
10-12-2007, 04:53 PM
i'm really glad you posted this topic...which way DO you all hang your toilet rolls? i sort of alternate between overhand and underhand, and every time i do it one way i say "man i wish i'd done it the other way" but i think the truth is it's gonna tear prematurely no matter what i do

ScarySquirrel
10-12-2007, 05:16 PM
i'm really glad you posted this topic...which way DO you all hang your toilet rolls? i sort of alternate between overhand and underhand, and every time i do it one way i say "man i wish i'd done it the other way" but i think the truth is it's gonna tear prematurely no matter what i do
I prefer over as opposed to under. At least when you have the paper coming from the top, you can fold it so it's pointed like in a hotel room... and I like to do that sometimes.

Caribou
10-12-2007, 05:38 PM

Always over, because then it's closer to me and I can reach it quicker.

oh god, you made me join in with this ridiculousness. I'm gonna have to open another language thread. I just HAVE to. You made me do it.