PDA

View Full Version : There's no freedom of expression anymore

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Im in this creative writing class this year, and it's a senior class, meant for kids who are 17/18 years old. The majority of people who are taking it, who arnt really serious about writing, are people who are taking it as a blow off class. I have this new teacher, and I was told when I first signed up that we would be writing stories all the time and doing fun things like that, but all this lady makes us do is write stupid poems and do word worksheets. It's a bummer! A couple of us who like to write have approached her and asked her why we're so limited, and why we have to do this shit, and she says its because almost every paper she gets has something to do with drugs/sex/drinking and the kids swear every other word.

Now thats just insane, I realize that, and yeah, I know that kids who do free writes and say shit like "Oh man, this week I was like, totally fuckin wasted, and I banged like four chicks in one night and smoked so much weed." (which she's told me they do say!) should be limited and what not, but she's banned us from writing about drugs, sex, alcohal, anything illegal, all together. She says if we do write about things like that, that shes sending the papers to the office and that they'll probably get the cops involved.

But what I dont understand is why we cant write about our characters doing it. I can understand if we talk about OURSELVES doing these things, but even great authors say that sometimes they cant control thier characters, and the people swear/do things that the author normally wouldnt support.

So say perhaps I wanted to write a story about a character struggling with a drug/alchoal problem... I cant do it, even though im writing about a dilemma instead of something like "DUDE! I LOVE DOIN' FUCKIN COKE!"

Im just feeling very upset.. and limited.
I dont get it... :confused:
Am I wrong for wanting more creative freedom even though im still in high school?

Lo_Lyfe
10-14-2007, 07:53 PM
poems aren't stupid

Lex Diamonds
10-14-2007, 08:00 PM
This thread, on the other hand, most potently is.

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Well I personally do not favor them. I do not like reading them, (unless its Poe - and I dont think that really counts) I dont like writing them, and I dont like them in general. Im not saying everyone has to agree with me, I know there are people out there who love poetry and everything about it, but I am not a fan.

The teacher hates poetry also but she says its the only thing she can teach where she hopes we dont write about the shit that is "banned". So now us people who really like to write are screwed because of others stupidity.

Most of the stories she assigns are one to one and a half pages because they wont write anything longer than that. I've talked to her, telling her that I'll write her a five/ten/whatever she wants, page story if I dont have to do the damn poetry, and the kids have had a fit, saying that theres no way In hell they'd be willing to do five pages.

I swear to god they're so ignorant.

She gives us stories to do with time in class because she knows no one will take it home and actually do it. Infact, The kids have said to her face "Im not going to do this if you assign it as homework, so you might as well just give us time in class." If she didnt work with them, no one would pass the class. They're already trying to get her fired as it is because she expects things of them.

It sucks! :mad:

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-14-2007, 08:01 PM

Why's that? because it's not some dumbass thread about sex thats been done ten thousand times, or it doesnt have some stupid ass rap in it?

Lex Diamonds
10-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Let me rewrite this thread more accurately for you.

Title: I'm a whiny bitch

Body: Waaaah, my teacher at school wants me to do the work she has set me. Why can't I fulfil my passion for writing shitty stories about being a depressed teenager and nobody understanding how deep I am? God I'm like, SO opressed.

Do any of you like me?

Then you should have had a poll with one option, "NO".

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-14-2007, 08:14 PM
haha, Oh Padster, you're funny. :)

Lex Diamonds
10-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks. You're boring. :)

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Im shocked! I was expecting some insult like Im an idiot for not coming up with some angry quip in reply, but I just dont have the patience to bother with you to be honest.

We are two very different people, and I like it that way. (y)

Lex Diamonds
10-14-2007, 08:45 PM
*yawn*

Schmeltz
10-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Perhaps the grownups can talk for a minute.

Surely there's still plenty of room for creativity within those parameters. Characters don't need to struggle with drugs and alcohol in order to struggle, do they? Personally I've always found that well-written characters are dominated by inner tension that has nothing to do with substances and everything to do with emotion.

Lex Diamonds
10-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Schmeltz, you're an idiot for even writing that. Only a complete imbecile thinks that there is no room for creativity in poetry and similar writing exercises.

TurdBerglar
10-14-2007, 08:57 PM
reading sucks

DandyFop
10-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Wow Padster's really on one lately. Maybe you should start smoking weed again.

Yeah I think it's utterly lame what your teacher is doing. But that's how high school is I guess. It's their duty to pretend that high school aged kids don't do anything bad, and that they'll enter into the "real world" after graduating. Whatever, just write some crappy shit and pass the class and write what you want to write on your own time.

afronaut
10-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Usually when I read a razorblade kiss thread I'm usually reminded of why I really don't like people under the age of 18. Especially when she had that fucking Ted Nugent avatar and sig.

This, however, is the first thread of hers I could kinda sympathize with. I get her frustration. So I'm led to the conclusion that you must be a huge prick, The Padster.

Go read some of your precious Wilde or Plath, fag.

Yetra Flam
10-14-2007, 09:13 PM
I dont know man, if i were the teacher in that class it would really shit me to have to read boring stories about teenage angst all day. Nothing to do with censorship, more complete boredom.
Hone your writing skills.

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Perhaps the grownups can talk for a minute.

Surely there's still plenty of room for creativity within those parameters. Characters don't need to struggle with drugs and alcohol in order to struggle, do they? Personally I've always found that well-written characters are dominated by inner tension that has nothing to do with substances and everything to do with emotion.

No I dont believe at all that it is a requirment to involve drugs when it comes to a struggle that a charecter is facing. Infact the charecter im writing has nothing to do with ME at all, therefore I dont know how I am being some "depressed teenager", so says someone who I believe is only two or three years older than me. This is actually the first story I've written that has anything to do with drugs, but I've been inspired by a recent band I've gotten into that has a rather tragic history, and I figured I'd take it and run with it while I have the idea, because I believe I really do have something here.

I dont plan on writing in the drugs at all. I plan on doing it nonchalantly, but I dont plan on writing a "he cut the cocain into lines and then snorted them" type story, but we cant even have anything in referance to drugs or drinking or sex.

And I just feel like we're old enough to where it should be respected if we want one of our charecters to have a drink or say a cuss word every now and again. I could understand if we were freshman but we're not.

Lex Diamonds
10-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Wow Padster's really on one lately. Maybe you should start smoking weed again.
It's not just that, I can't afford cigarettes either. And my girl is on her period, too. Don't worry, I'll calm down sometime in the next few days.

You slut.

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Usually when I read a razorblade kiss thread I'm usually reminded of why I really don't like people under the age of 18. Especially when she had that fucking Ted Nugent avatar and sig.

But Nugent wore a loin cloth! He was badass!

I dont necessarily agree with his beliefs or opinions, but im more interested in his early music more than anything. I dont really follow him after Damn Yankees, and I dont agree with his political veiws at all. When it comes to music, thats all I really care about is the music, the bands opinions dont really effect me at all. As long as it sounds good, I could give less of a shit about thier personal lives.

DandyFop
10-14-2007, 09:24 PM
It's not just that, I can't afford cigarettes either. And my girl is on her period, too. Don't worry, I'll calm down sometime in the next few days.

You slut.

Hey if she's on the rag you two can always go for the Rainbow Kiss. That way you won't have to get any dinner either.

Lex Diamonds
10-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Wow, thanks for the advice. You really are a font of knowledge.

Tramp.

DandyFop
10-14-2007, 09:31 PM
I like how you people say font. We don't use that over here. I think it's time we began.

Lex Diamonds
10-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Spread the word!

(lol)

Schmeltz
10-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Razorblade Kiss could use it to impress her teacher.

Ex: "He staunched his font of despair with an eightball, a forty, and two hookers"

Bob
10-14-2007, 09:39 PM
I dont know man, if i were the teacher in that class it would really shit me to have to read boring stories about teenage angst all day. Nothing to do with censorship, more complete boredom.

i agree with you, but that's one of the reasons why i chose not to be a high school english teacher

Bob
10-14-2007, 09:40 PM
also, "staunch" doesn't get used as a verb nearly enough

i'm not even sure that i'd know how to do it

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Razorblade Kiss could use it to impress her teacher.

Ex: "He staunched his font of despair with an eightball, a forty, and two hookers"

haha because im absolutley positive that that wont get me detention and/or arrested.

Yetra Flam
10-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Here's something i'm ashamed of: My grade 12 creative writing teacher had inappropriate feelings for me, (i know this because he pretty much stated it to me) and i only handed in about half of the required work and got the best marks in the class. At the time i felt like "score!" but now i feel disgusting and terrible.

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-14-2007, 10:24 PM
...anddd so comes the part of the thread where It takes that dramatic leap from innocent bitching to childhood tramas.

Im sorry to hear that. Was he at least hot?

Wow im really not helping...

insertnamehere
10-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Why can't you just write your own shit outside of class and make something tailored to the teacher to turn in for class?

Highschool... and elementary school, and college, and I'm sure even grad school, is basically doing things that you don't want to do in order to satisfy whoever decides your grades. It sucks but you gotta do it. Oh yeah wait, in real jobs too. That's full of stuff you don't want to do but you do it anyway too.

Yetra Flam
10-14-2007, 10:27 PM
...anddd so comes the part of the thread where It takes that dramatic leap from innocent bitching to childhood tramas.

Wow im really not helping...

it wasn't traumatic, he didn't do anything. and i was like 17. it was just way more inappropriate than what i thought at the time.

no he was not hot.

insertnamehere
10-14-2007, 10:28 PM
The first time I took calculus I failed it (and definitely deserved too), but the TA that taught it was always looking at me in a kind of strange, inappropriate way.

If I could go back and suck his cock for a C I totally would.

Bob
10-14-2007, 10:39 PM

LOL

Drederick Tatum
10-14-2007, 10:43 PM

most patently, dumbass.

TurdBerglar
10-14-2007, 10:45 PM
aren't teachers obligated to let whoever needs to know about things that point to unhealthy behavior among students? she's just probably being lazy.

Bob
10-14-2007, 10:45 PM
most patently, dumbass.

maybe he just meant that it was really powerfully lame

Drederick Tatum
10-14-2007, 10:46 PM
I doubt it.

Bob
10-14-2007, 10:48 PM
maybe he has a speech impediment so that his a's sound like o's

Drederick Tatum
10-14-2007, 10:51 PM
maybe Padster is just trying to hide the fact that he's a cranky little bitch by attempting to talk like an adult. his subsequent failure only highlights his juvenile immaturity.

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-14-2007, 11:02 PM
... Man poetry just sucks for me. It's not my groove at all. I dont like rhyming, I like writing stories, I even like writing freaking essays! I just love writing in general, but poems do absolutley nothing for me.

I dont think teachers should have the right to fail you because they dont like your writing style.. I mean, if you write like a dumbass thats one thing, but I dont understand how he didnt like you "style"? How did you write?

LOL

well wouldnt you feel better if a teacher had a crush on you and he was hot? I think I'd be a lot less creeped out if he looked like George Clooney instead of like... Gary Busey.

Is it illegal to date a teacher if you're 18? or is it just "frowned upon"?

Kid Presentable
10-14-2007, 11:50 PM
I won the Creative Writing prize two years in a row, my final two years of high school. My stories had nothing to do with drugs, booze or sex. Especially since I didn't fuck with chemicals/hallucinogens and drink to an uncomfortably dangerous level until I was out of High School.

It's pretty endemic of the teenaged to think themselves worldly but have fuck all of substance to really write about. My topics? A kid who comes home to his murdered family and in his haze of shock and despair touches everything and gets blood all over himself, leading to his arrest for the murders. Another one? A fat childhood best friend who you no longer like as a teenager trying to fit in, and his subsequent suicide..I won't carry on, but you see you just need to actually think. That's creativity. Not some idiotic booze story.

Not having a dig at you RBK. You're in need of advice like this and other posts in the thread. Your skill will have to come from making the most of your constraints. I don't know why Padster would call you a stupid teenager, when he's the one behaving as such (and is still a teenager). He should really staunch the flow of bullshit he's posting.

Waus
10-15-2007, 12:01 AM
It'd be pretty cool if you wrote a story that only alluded to drug or alcohol abuse. If you don't really write it - and leave it up to the reader - maybe you could write a story about that anyways? I don't know, that could be an interesting way to confront the challenge of not writing about "censored" stuff and still do it out of spite.

But seriously, it's just a highschool creative writing class...I mean, worry about 'freedom' when you start writing your first novel.

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-15-2007, 12:27 AM
^ but it's not some idiotic booze and drug story about teenagers getting high and shit like that. It's actually about a girl who loves a guy who dies of an overdose. And no, in writing this I didnt go into detail, Im pretty sure I've made it so that its easy to understand whats happening without being blantly obvious, and going into detail about what he's done.

I dont really write dark stories, but I've been somewhat inspired (reading too much into punk rock history) and I thought I'd challenge myself and do something dark for once. After all it is a creative writing class and that's kinda the point isnt it? To improve your writing and challenge yourself?

But I feel so stifled having to do these dumb worksheets and shit like that when I can be writing and making myself and my stories better. To be honest the reason I took this class is because I've been writing since I was about 12, and I look back and see this drastic improvement, and I see the potential I might have If I persue this (I too have won awards for my short stories, not to mention every story I've turned in this year I've gotten A's on and the teacher has even stopped in the middle of class once or twice to rave about how much she loves something I've written - so I think there's a good chance I can take this and run with it) even if It means not writing novels, but working for a magazine or newspaper. So I want to get as much out of it as I can, but the kids are just ridiculous. I mean come on, I can write 5 pages in ten minutes if im really inspired, but they wont do it period. It's pathetic.

Schmeltz
10-15-2007, 12:27 AM
I won the Creative Writing prize two years in a row, my final two years of high school. My stories had nothing to do with drugs, booze or sex. Especially since I didn't fuck with chemicals/hallucinogens and drink to an uncomfortably dangerous level until I was out of High School.

It's pretty endemic of the teenaged to think themselves worldly but have fuck all of substance to really write about. My topics? A kid who comes home to his murdered family and in his haze of shock and despair touches everything and gets blood all over himself, leading to his arrest for the murders. Another one? A fat childhood best friend who you no longer like as a teenager trying to fit in, and his subsequent suicide..I won't carry on, but you see you just need to actually think. That's creativity. Not some idiotic booze story.

Not having a dig at you RBK. You're in need of advice like this and other posts in the thread. Your skill will have to come from making the most of your constraints. I don't know why Padster would call you a stupid teenager, when he's the one behaving as such (and is still a teenager). He should really staunch the flow of bullshit he's posting.

This is good stuff. I also had my high school writing praised by teachers - I remember one teacher saying a story I wrote about a group of terrified soldiers on a ship during a storm was the best student submission she'd ever read, and a friend and I once collaborated on a comedic Western cowboy story that prompted our teacher to tell us we both had potential as career writers if we kept it up. Zero drugs, zero booze, zero sex (kind of sums up my high school years, actually).

It sucks being told that you absolutely can't write about something, but as others have said that shouldn't be a crippling obstacle to your creativity. And if all these other slacker douchebags in your class are writing about that stuff anyway, why do the same? Buck the trend, yo.

russhie
10-15-2007, 01:29 AM
All creative teenagers think they're being squashed, especially the ones with 'passion' and 'talent'.

You wanna indulge in the things that you like, go to college or university. There, you can pick from a myriad of useless & semi-useless subjects to study and love and feel you've found your calling and blah.

The fact is, you're in highschool and these places have budgets and shit and they have people higher up to which they must answer. This means they decide your curriculum, and no matter how many pages you wave in their face it ain't gonna change - they're always going to cater to the majority. You don't always get what you want...that's an important thing to learn as you grow older.

Caribou
10-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Oh lordy, lordy...

It's just a writing class. In sodding high school! Everyone has to do stuff they hate or don't agree with in high school. You should be glad there is a thing like a creative writing class, we don't get stuff like that in school over here.
At least you've learned some things about writing (well, I hope so), and I can see that it's annoying that you can't use the story you came up with, but if you're really so creative it should be no problem to come up with a story that doesn't involve drugs or alcohol. If it IS a problem, then maybe you shouldn't be in that class at all.

Also, and I don't mean to be a bitch about this, I swear, but I hope you use a spell check before sending in your stories. It makes you seem a liiiittle bit more capable.

And: If you hate poetry I can advise you to read Stephen Fry's 'an ode less travelled'. It describes how poetry works and It's a lot of fun to read. It also has blank pages to do silly little writing exercises.

Bob
10-15-2007, 07:23 AM
i was recognized for my creative talent in school too. in 2nd grade i wrote a story called "the legend of froggy's treasure" and it got into some kind of showcase.

what the teacher didn't know was that i wrote it based on super mario brothers 3. remember that frog suit that mario could get that made him swim better? there were so few opportunities to use that thing, and every time you finally got it some stupid fucking fish would hit you and you'd lose it. i was so frustrated by that that i wrote fanfiction about it

abcdefz
10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I imagine there's a concern about what shows up in those papers because... at what point is a teacher implicated if a kid gets into trouble?
Can a teacher or school be sued because they didn't stop Columbine after reading a kid's stories about guns, or a kid's overdose after reading
his story about drugs, or etc. etc. etc. I'd bet they can.

It really sounds like you're limiting yourself even more than your teacher, though. Your teacher has restricted a pretty narrow, narrow subject
matter and life has three trillion other things to offer than that. Open your eyes and look around and don't fixated on what's inappropriate.
And, yeah, if, as an artist, you really need to address those things, you can still do it. If you want feedback, I'm sure you can find someone
who'll be willing to read it.

Lex Diamonds
10-15-2007, 11:15 AM
maybe Padster is just trying to hide the fact that he's a cranky little bitch by attempting to talk like an adult. his subsequent failure only highlights his juvenile immaturity.
Shut the fuck up you complete and utter faggot. I know the difference between patent and potent, believe it or not in England we know how to speak English. Get the fuck out you long hair hippy bastard.

And that post wasn't even gramatically correct, moron. Ever heard of tenses?

Lex Diamonds
10-15-2007, 11:17 AM
maybe he just meant that it was really powerfully lame
Yep. Well done for not being a presumptuous cretin. (y)

afronaut
10-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Shut the fuck up you complete and utter faggot. I know the difference between patent and potent, believe it or not in England we know how to speak English. Get the fuck out you long hair hippy bastard.

And that post wasn't even gramatically correct, moron. Ever heard of tenses?

I know you're probably technically saying something else, but all I can read when I see this is "YOU DON'T KNOW MY PAIN!!! SHUT UP! SHUT UP WHEN IM TALKING TO YOU! I'D RATHER FEEL PAIN THAN NOTHING AT ALL!"

afronaut
10-15-2007, 01:39 PM

First, I'd like to say that teenage angst in poetry form is worse than teenage angst in story form. They're still both intolerable though.

Second, if the teacher can't handle dealing with stupid fucking teenage angst, than they probably shouldn't be working with stupid fucking teenagers. If such things are a problem in a school, I would imagine a good teacher would come up with assignments to redirect all that angst and sex and substance abuse into something meaningful where something is actually learned, both about life and about stretching your mind to write creatively. I mean, if you can force them to do nothing but write poetry, then I'm sure you can force them to write a story where they're forced to approach such subject matter in a mature way. Nurture those cognitive functions, goddamnit.

At the same time, if razorblade loves writing so much, then I'm sure you have enough creativity to teach yourself something about poetry. Approach it in your own way. If you love writing so much, you should be able to make yourself to be able to work creatively in a medium in which you generally dislike. It's not about bending yourself to fit the confines of poetry, it's about bending poetry to work within your own terms.

And Ted Nugent still fucking sucks. Whether it be his limpdicked music, or his political views, which surely stem from him having problems with a limp dick.

cookiepuss
10-15-2007, 01:41 PM
well I don't think banning kids from writing about drug/alcohol issues does anything to help kids work through the issue...which creative writing might be an outlet for. ignoring the fact that kids WANT to write about this stuff doesn't make the problems go away. However the teacher could limit it.

I'd have the kids do ONE assignment where they are allowed to write about drugs/alcohol. that's it. you got one shot to explore the theme. after that, you keep turning in shit with that same theme and I'm flunking you. problem solved. But I'd be that one teacher the administration hates because I wouldn't stick to their guidelines.

I mean it is a creative writing class, so the teacher could be a little more "creative" and maybe assign the kids some themes to write about...

like write some thing in the style of your favorite author
write about death
write a story about an inatimate object
write a story where the main character is an animal
etc...

maybe I just went to a better school, but that's what my highschool creative writing classes were like.

I suck at poetry, so I'd be pissed too if that's all I got to do in creative writing.

abcdefz
10-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Here I stand
alone
sitting in overwhelming

darkness's thick fog of hopelessness
my only friend
marching through a mire of days
heart wounded soldier in mud

you
said no
to
me

Bob
10-15-2007, 01:53 PM
i caved in again today
the needle is my only friend
can't take the rejection anymore
the needle never turns me down
i like heroin
alcohol too
i offer you this catharsis
from the edge

abcdefz
10-15-2007, 01:55 PM
i
am just a grocery boy
sent
to collect
the check

oh wait
no
that's you

o shit

Bob
10-15-2007, 01:58 PM
my life is an endless chore
i can't wait until it's done
here's my homework teacher
RIP
am i at 6 lines yet?
outstanding

cookiepuss
10-15-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't remember where I heard/read this but somebody somewhere once said:
what i like about poetry is that no one will admit what a load of crap it is.

Freebasser
10-15-2007, 02:51 PM
i was recognized for my creative talent in school too. in 2nd grade i wrote a story called "the legend of froggy's treasure" and it got into some kind of showcase.

what the teacher didn't know was that i wrote it based on super mario brothers 3. remember that frog suit that mario could get that made him swim better? there were so few opportunities to use that thing, and every time you finally got it some stupid fucking fish would hit you and you'd lose it. i was so frustrated by that that i wrote fanfiction about it

Ahahahahaha hahahaha ahahahahahahah! *wheeze* ahahaha ahahahahhh.

It's ok, Bob. I submitted a hand-drawn comic book about Commander Keen for my English class when I was 8 :/

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-15-2007, 03:59 PM
well I don't think banning kids from writing about drug/alcohol issues does anything to help kids work through the issue...which creative writing might be an outlet for. ignoring the fact that kids WANT to write about this stuff doesn't make the problems go away. However the teacher could limit it.

I mean it is a creative writing class, so the teacher could be a little more "creative" and maybe assign the kids some themes to write about...

See this is the thing! I am not some angsty teenager who hates life and blah blah blah - I just want to explore this theme! I mean, no real author is going to stick to one subject, that's boring. Im not into drugs at all in my real life, nor alcohal, (to a large extent) but telling a student they cant hint to it is a bit out of control, at least I think.

There is this kid who sits behind me who does free writes saying how much he wishes he were high and how he hates school and wants to drop out - I think THATS something to be concerned with, but wanting to explore the theme, I dont think is so bad if you do it in moderation and with literary purposes only.

She doesnt give us themes at all! If she gave us theme's I'd be the happiest fucking student in that school, but we either watch movies about poets/authors and do fact sheets on them, or do these word search type pages and It's basically like being in a freshman english class. It sucks.

Also, and I don't mean to be a bitch about this, I swear, but I hope you use a spell check before sending in your stories. It makes you seem a liiiittle bit more capable.

No no, no offense taken, I KNOW I suck at spelling so I always read my work over a million times and reword it and check it until it's perfect. Most of the time I have other people read it just so im 100% positive. Im creative with the writing, and im good with words, but spelling is not my strong suit!!

Dorothy Wood
10-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I have some advice. get over the whole "omg overdose" thing. the sid and nancy thing. you are not nancy. the reason punk was cool was because it was a bunch of young people with nothing else to do so they made up their own rules. now youth culture is prepackaged and sold to the masses.

I AM WAITING FOR THE TEENAGERS TO REVOLT! SHOW ME SOMETHING WEIRD! THAT'S WHAT TEENAGERS ARE FOR!

the closest thing I've seen around here are girls putting rubber bands around the bottoms of their flared jeans.

make the future.

Auton
10-15-2007, 06:44 PM
I submitted a hand-drawn comic book about Commander Keen for my English class when I was 8 :/

same here but i was 11 :-\

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-15-2007, 06:50 PM
I have some advice. get over the whole "omg overdose" thing. the sid and nancy thing. you are not nancy.

I know im not Nancy, nor would I like to be a groupie/prostitute/drug addict. I never said it was about Sid, but I have been reading a lot up about him, and getting into him, so I kind of had this idea, but it's nothing at all like thier story.

...I put rubber bands on the bottom of my pants, but it's to show off my shoes? I dunno anything about flared jeans... is that supposed to look cool? :confused:

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
same here but i was 11 :-\

Once I did a book report on the 'Captain Underpants' books when I was in the 5th grade, and the teacher failed me because she said It wasnt a real book and I was making it all up. :(

That's kinda off subject... but the comic book and being failed reminded me of it.

Drederick Tatum
10-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Shut the fuck up you complete and utter faggot.

your homophobic insults merely emphasize your childishness.

insertnamehere
10-15-2007, 09:23 PM
In one of my high school english classes we had to read the short story The Birds and then write more of an ending for it. Like a paragraph or two. I turned in 3 pages typed single spaced on how the birds overtook the town, with some graphic descriptions of the family members being killed by the birds. The teacher gave me something like 105 and wrote on it how amazing it was and that she liked it better than the original story and things of that nature. I threw it away they day I got it back and deleted it from my computer. I'm weird about letting people see anything that is a product of my creativity. I'll type out pages of things, read it through, and then close it without saving so that not even I can read it again.

What's that all about?

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
...sounds like a personal problem to me. Lol. No im just kidding. I get like that sometimes too. I'll write stories and I'll show them to one person depending on what the nature of the story is, and if it's good I'll go from there and perhaps send it to a few others, but it never gets very far. Then I just keep my stories to myself. I dont like my parents reading them, or my friends except for a few. I dunno how I'll ever be able to publish something one day.. (if it ever comes down to that) because I horde them all to myself because I never really think they're as good as people say they are. (drawings I also do the same thing)

I had to discuss the crappy birds ending with my film lit class last year and how Alfred kinda leaves that open to the imagination also...

Yetra Flam
10-15-2007, 09:49 PM
i'm a published writer. well, i wrote a short story when i was like 15, and it got put in this anthology. i'll see if i can find it on amazon, gimme time.
i mostly wrote nonsense bullshit. people liked it.

insertnamehere
10-15-2007, 10:11 PM
I had to discuss the crappy birds ending with my film lit class last year and how Alfred kinda leaves that open to the imagination also...

Alfred didn't leave it open. It was some french guy. Alfred just made a movie of it. I've never seen the movie, but yeah the story ending was pretty open.

Bob
10-15-2007, 10:14 PM
i'm a published writer! i work for a court-ish place, i write opinions. 2 of them are out, on the internet and stuff. i've written law!

Yetra Flam
10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
i wrote a pirate story

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Alfred didn't leave it open. It was some french guy. Alfred just made a movie of it. I've never seen the movie, but yeah the story ending was pretty open.

I heard that it was a short story but we didnt talk that much about it. Didnt he change it around a lot? I dont really remember.

Documad
10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Things have changed a lot since I went to high school over 20 years ago. We were encouraged to discuss drugs and drinking.
One teacher was a hippie before his time. By that I mean that he was probably 60 and thus too old to have been a hippie but he played the soundtrack from Harold and Maude all the time and he rewarded the students who wrote the freakiest stories. I didn't do well in his class because I couldn't make things up. I still can't.

Anyhow, RBK: I love the movie Sid and Nancy. I find it hilarious. You might also want to get a copy of that book written by Nancy's mom: And I Don't Want To Live This Life. It's tragic but interesting.

insertnamehere
10-15-2007, 10:46 PM
ok, so i was wrong. it was an english lady, but her name sounds french.

i just wanted to point that out before someone with infinite knowledge about daphne du maurier popped up and made me look like a retard.

Documad
10-15-2007, 10:49 PM
ok, so i was wrong. it was an english lady, but her name sounds french.

i just wanted to point that out before someone with infinite knowledge about daphne du maurier popped up and made me look like a retard.
The Birds was a shitty movie, but I had no idea it was based on a story by the same person who wrote Rebecca. Wow. I've only seen the movies, but Rebecca is a much better movie.

Yetra Flam
10-15-2007, 10:52 PM
ok i can't find the book that i was in, but you guys gotta trust me, it did happen.

also, i'm kinda disappointed and pissed now because my creative writing teacher always told me that i was talented and a great writer, but he was probably really full of shit. what a shitty thing to do to a young and bright student.

Documad
10-15-2007, 10:56 PM
ok i can't find the book that i was in, but you guys gotta trust me, it did happen.

also, i'm kinda disappointed and pissed now because my creative writing teacher always told me that i was talented and a great writer, but he was probably really full of shit. what a shitty thing to do to a young and bright student.
You think it was wrong for your teacher to compliment/encourage you? :confused:

Yetra Flam
10-15-2007, 10:58 PM
You think it was wrong for your teacher to compliment/encourage you? :confused:

he encouraged me for completely wrong and inappropriate reasons if you know what i'm saying here. he made me think that i was really talented when i was a pretty average writer.

Documad
10-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Maybe he just had bad taste? Or maybe you really were talented for your age. You obviously have some creative talent.

I basically write for part of my living but I don't have a creative bone in my body. I'd love to be even a little creative.

vickista
10-16-2007, 03:23 AM
i feel your pain.

please dont tell me she makes you do rocket writing?!

Kid Presentable
10-16-2007, 03:42 AM
I wrote "Somebody wrote 'Gullible' on the ceiling" in the toilet stall today.

Bob
10-16-2007, 07:18 AM
someone once wrote "uconn diplomas" on the toilet paper dispenser in one of the toilets where i went to college (uconn)

Bob
10-16-2007, 07:20 AM
but my favorite thing i've ever seen written on a bathroom wall is this

someone had written "'maybe this world is another planet's hell' - aldous huxley" on the wall. then someone else crossed out "this world" and wrote "your mom"

simple, yet elegant

russhie
10-16-2007, 07:47 AM
I just became a properly legit freelancer today.

Can I just say, it takes a shitload of work, perseverance, the ability to take criticism, being able to write to a brief, LOTS of free & volunteer work, shameless self promotion and more to succeed.

Talent ain't the half of it. Quit whining and do your time if you want to get anywhere with your writing.

Anyway, isn't it usually the great artistisans/creatives who face more than your usual amount of struggle & adversity but channel it back into their life's work only to become more and more celebrated? Meh.

Kid Presentable
10-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Toilet stall Tennis:

Look Right Look Left

Lex Diamonds
10-16-2007, 10:56 AM
your homophobic insults merely emphasize your childishness.
Your shit-stained shaft merely emphasizes your gayness, chump.

Lyman Zerga
10-16-2007, 04:12 PM
how do you know if those shit stains are from a guy?

wait dont tell me..

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Things have changed a lot since I went to high school over 20 years ago. We were encouraged to discuss drugs and drinking.
One teacher was a hippie before his time. By that I mean that he was probably 60 and thus too old to have been a hippie but he played the soundtrack from Harold and Maude all the time and he rewarded the students who wrote the freakiest stories. I didn't do well in his class because I couldn't make things up. I still can't.

Anyhow, RBK: I love the movie Sid and Nancy. I find it hilarious. You might also want to get a copy of that book written by Nancy's mom: And I Don't Want To Live This Life. It's tragic but interesting.

I wish I had a teacher like that! Oh well I sent her the story.. we'll see how it goes. She likes me and she knows im a decent kid so I doubt she'll have a problem with it. Im hoping we'll get them back soon. The quarter ends on Friday so we should get our stories back by then.

I havent seen the movie yet. A friend of mine from the board told me shes going to send me a "care package" and that movie is supposed to be in there, otherwise I would have already gotten it off of Netflix. I plan on picking up a book about him soon, but I've gotta get my moms to order it off of the internet because when I went to borders everything was out of print/or you had to order it.

Im not really into Nancy. I kinda dont like her to be honest, but im sure it would be an interesting read. I just dont know if im entirely convinced that he killed her or not...

Lex Diamonds
10-17-2007, 03:56 AM
how do you know if those shit stains are from a guy?

wait dont tell me..
They're the colour of beer and have pieces of beef jerky in them.