PDA

View Full Version : I'm not a risk taker by nature but

Knuckles
10-15-2007, 10:44 PM
next year I'm going to quit my job. I'm going to take the next year to follow my heart and my dreams and finish a book I've been writing.

The only way I'm going to be able to do this is because of my parents. They are the most amazing people in the world. I let them read what I have so far and they basically offered to take care of me and my family for a year. They knew that with a 50+ hour work week and a family that I must spend time with (nothing is more important to me than my family) there was just no way I could finish it. It's unreal. They truly believe in me and my ideas. :)

I know that no matter what this next year will be one of the best of my life. How many people get to live their dreams? Probably not many.

So success or failure I'm going to go for it.

No regrets.

Anyone else ever do something like this?

Waus
10-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey wow - that sounds really awesome. What's the book about? Can I ask that?

Definitely post here when it's done...I'm sure there'll be some interested readers. Also, if you get a dustjacket picture make sure the beard is prominent.

Yetra Flam
10-15-2007, 10:50 PM
yeah man, that's a pretty huge risk. it's reduced though because of your parents stepping in and helping you out, but quitting your job and moving out of your comfort zone to follow your dream is an awesome thing to do. i highly recommend it.

insertnamehere
10-15-2007, 10:52 PM
congrats, that sounds awesome.

i know absolutely nothing about book writing or getting things published, but i'm going to give you completely unfounded advice anyway. if you're interested in getting your book for real published, i think the process works something like, you send them some samples, and they're like "oh hey that's cool," and then they send you some money based on your samples and then you send them the finished book and they pay you and voila new york times best seller!

i don't think it's quite that easy, but what i'm getting at is, start looking to get it published and figuring all that out before you actually finish the book. it's most likely a long, painful process, so get on that.

whats your impending book about?

bitchamachacha got a book published a believe. she might be able to give you some better information on the subject. if anyone knows where she is these days.

Documad
10-15-2007, 10:54 PM
That is fantastic. Congratulations on having the guts to give it a try.

I saw David Sedaris tonight, so I have a good feeling about this.

Until recently, I had a major family commitment that precluded me from taking a big leap, but that's almost over. I have been thinking about taking a year or so off and getting another degree -- mostly for fun. I would like to sell my house and move away while I'm doing it, but I can't do that unless I get my house in better shape first.

Yeti
10-15-2007, 10:55 PM
That is exciting news.

Have you tried to get a publisher to read your work? I wonder if you could get some money up front. I know that a good publisher is a key to getting a profit out of your hard work. I met David Baldacci who is an author here in Richmond. We were talking and he said the biggest obstacle of a writer is getting a viable publisher to make a profitable living.

I am sure you have checked into the options and you will be a success.

Knuckles
10-15-2007, 11:09 PM
My mom actually wrote and published a fairly successful book in the 80's so she will be a really big help. I know that was quite some time ago but I'm sure her experience will be valuable.

The book (actually it will be a series of books if I'm lucky) is sort aimed for the young adult market but I'm hoping it can be enjoyed by older folks as well. I won't say much other that it comes from the mind of Knucks so you know it's going to be a bit out there. :D

This story is something I've been thinking about for years. I just can't wait for it to be one of the main focuses of my life. I mean, it's going to be my freakin' job!!! I can't wait. I've even started to turn my utility shed into my office. :)

Loppfessor
10-16-2007, 12:00 AM
That is awesome dude! I'm a bit jealous but more happy for you. Good luck and when you get published you can count me in for at least one sold copy (y)

mikizee
10-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Thats awesome.

You should move to the country and buy a big house with a lake, and a payphone installed. Then you can buy a dog that loves to run. And run, and run. Watch out for that crazy mailman!

b i o n i c
10-16-2007, 12:49 AM
getting through the beginning will be the hardest part..

"day 1: get up, eat breakfast, crack knuckles... 364 days to go."

ALWAYS follow your dreams. good for you, its gonna turn out as you want it to

good luck, man.

Kid Presentable
10-16-2007, 03:28 AM
I applaud and congratulate you. You serve as an inspiration; I hope to do the same someday. Good luck. (y)(y)(y)

ericlee
10-16-2007, 03:44 AM
that's an excellent idea and I'm sure the knucks family would be an I g
interesting story.

I'm kinda in the same works with my music. These guitar riffs I link here are just works of a kinda autobiography of my life with moms and pops. I've made most of the lyrics about his times in the bush. Basically studies of his platoon and little chats with his fellow mates. Translating it all into lyrics.

RobMoney$
10-16-2007, 04:21 AM
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES KNUCKS A DULL BOY.

...as long as I don't start seeing threads like this from you in the near future I'm sure it'll be an awesome book.
I have 2 young adults who'll get a copy.
Good Luck.

yeahwho
10-16-2007, 05:11 AM
I have similar dreams but mine are always sort of self destructive, like quitting my job and becoming a riverboat gambler.

Writing, particulaly good writing pays well, you can literally write your own paycheck! When the mood strikes, stay up for days.

Keep us updated on your risky lifestyle.

Kid Presentable
10-16-2007, 06:35 AM
John Knuckington-Smythe

paul jones
10-16-2007, 07:27 AM
good for you Knucks.Are you going to illustrate it with photoshop stuff?

I keep kicking myself for not picking up pens and doing cartoons.I have the ability but it's finding the time to do it and work and all that.Lots of people can be creative and succesfull at any age so make sure when that fucking book is finished I get a signed limited edition book with a beard on it(y)

abcdefz
10-16-2007, 08:11 AM
next year I'm going to quit my job. I'm going to take the next year to follow my heart and my dreams and finish a book I've been writing.

The only way I'm going to be able to do this is because of my parents. They are the most amazing people in the world. I let them read what I have so far and they basically offered to take care of me and my family for a year. They knew that with a 50+ hour work week and a family that I must spend time with (nothing is more important to me than my family) there was just no way I could finish it. It's unreal. They truly believe in me and my ideas. :)

Man, that's such a blessing to have that kind of support.

Unsolicited advice: if you can wrap the book in half a year, that would give you half a year to shop it while still having your parents' patronage. (y)

ms.peachy
10-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Hey, good for you.

Mr.peachy is getting ready to jump out a plane (metaphorically speaking) as well - he's worked for the same company for about a decade, and he is going to leave soon to become an independent consultant, to work for two mates of his who took the plunge last year and opened their own firm. It's a little scary, saying goodbye to his paycheck (it's soooo much bigger than mine) but at least he's got at least one guaranteed job...

-T-
10-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Good for you man. You are very lucky to have this kind of opportunity.

I am still young and have no one to support but myself and do not have a good job or anything. My friend and I just began to start our dream business a couple months ago. We figure wtf, you will never live your dream if you do not try..

ericlee
10-16-2007, 11:17 AM
My mom actually wrote and published a fairly successful book in the 80's so she will be a really big help. I know that was quite some time ago but I'm sure her experience will be valuable.

The book (actually it will be a series of books if I'm lucky) is sort aimed for the young adult market but I'm hoping it can be enjoyed by older folks as well. I won't say much other that it comes from the mind of Knucks so you know it's going to be a bit out there. :D

This story is something I've been thinking about for years. I just can't wait for it to be one of the main focuses of my life. I mean, it's going to be my freakin' job!!! I can't wait. I've even started to turn my utility shed into my office. :)

But we all know what happened to Jack and Jill after the hill.;)

DandyFop
10-16-2007, 11:22 AM
This is seriously amazing. I am so happy for you!

MC Moot
10-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Care to share an excerpt?....I know it's uncouth to ask to see an artists unfinished work but I'm a curious monkey with a serious literary penchant....

hpdrifter
10-16-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm sure it'll be creative and you can tell the publisher you've got at least one copy already sold!

cookiepuss
10-16-2007, 02:17 PM
I started writing a book when I was unemployed for over 6 months one time. unfortunately I couldn't afford to continue to be unemployed and I couldn't write the book fast enough...so that's been the end of that. It would be nice if one day i could finish the book..but I don't know if I will.

That's great that your Parents are able to help you out financially in this matter. At the time I was writing, my father had just past away and although my family would have liked to help me out that wasn't possible.

Good luck and good for you for taking a risk. this is the kinda thing I dream about doing everyday, but I don't have the guts to do it.(y) I'm jealous, but in a good way.

Lyman Zerga
10-16-2007, 04:39 PM
good luck, also make sure to make a book about your best photoshopings (y)

im hating myself for not writing down all the chat conversations between turd and yetra, i could be a millionaire by now!

Knuckles
08-20-2008, 10:38 PM
I put my two weeks in at my current job.

It's hard for me to believe this is actually happening.

Dorothy Wood
08-20-2008, 10:55 PM
good luck! don't let what happened to chevy chase in Funny Farm happen to you! or actually, that would be funny, and it all turns out fine in the end. :)

BangkokB
08-20-2008, 11:09 PM
I love to roll the dice. Hey I have some $ saved up and don't know you so lets get crazy with this

Let's Roll the Die
1-4= Move to Amsterdam~Why Not?
5= Throw a Dart on a map and there we are
6 = Where my friend in Ireland lives: I don't know so it'll be an adventure in itself
7= Dubai~ I can get us both jobs there. And they should pay carrot too
8-10 = Northeast Thailand with full intentions on being drug dealers: Strictly Wholesale:I'm talking about riding the ship from one shore to another to make sure our product hits shore
11 = Costa Rica and do $ Laundering. I think I have an inside in that and it pays 10 pts which is crazy cause I can do it here for 3
12 = Move to some assholes house in Sweden: he doesn't think i'd do it http://www.exodusattack.com/toxicwaltz/posting.php?mode=quote&p=370520: Imagine his surprise when the both of us show up Bags in Hand. Hello Fucko: We've Arrived with one way tickets

Let's Do It! I Don't know you from Adam but lets make this happen. This isn't some gay shit ~ You seem pretty solid to me and I love to take risks too. Change of venue is key.

Dorothy Wood
08-20-2008, 11:17 PM
*calls FBI*

BangkokB
08-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I hope you're kidding...because i am

Except about the Dice Deciding thing...let's level the Playing Field. I can get you in on something crazy here if you roll between 1-3 and it's here in BKK. We need a camera to make sure every thing is on the up and up if the dice rolls in your favor you'll like it even if you hate it. It'll be a good rocking chair story granted you live that long. That's doubtful in BKK

ericlee
08-21-2008, 12:31 AM
man, I'm stoked to see this thread bumped, knucks. A book about your parents is a book about yourself, one of the coolest people anyone would ever encounter.

How's the writing going so far?

Dharma
10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Hey Andy...
hope the writing is going good so far.

Are you using any specific writing technique? (i.e. Snowflake method etc...) ...or more freestyle writing?

Are you using a computer writing software? Word processor or typewriter?

I have been thinking about doing the same thing...

I know a lot of screen and script writers, but writing a novel is different. So I thought I would pick your brain for a moment.

beastieangel01
10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Man, that's such a blessing to have that kind of support.

Unsolicited advice: if you can wrap the book in half a year, that would give you half a year to shop it while still having your parents' patronage. (y)

ditto on this (y)
best of luck :)

hpdrifter
10-31-2008, 12:16 PM
I had forgotten about this, I hope things are going well.

I hope to be able to do this someday, I was drying my hair the other morning for work and I felt a little sick to my stomach thinking that I'll be doing that every morning of my life for the next 40 years.

jennyb
10-31-2008, 12:38 PM
:eek:(y)

wow go knucks!

Knuckles
10-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey Andy...
hope the writing is going good so far.

Are you using any specific writing technique? (i.e. Snowflake method etc...) ...or more freestyle writing?

Are you using a computer writing software? Word processor or typewriter?

I have been thinking about doing the same thing...

I know a lot of screen and script writers, but writing a novel is different. So I thought I would pick your brain for a moment.

Funny, I've thought about giving an update but never have.

I think it's going well so far. I'm around a hundred pages into it so there's no turning back now.
Everything I've ever wanted to learn (guitar, photoshop, exotic dancing) I've done by charging in head first and doing it. My writing has been no different. So I guess that means I'm not using any specific techniques. Let's just say I'm learning as I go.:D

I use my laptop so I can take it anywhere. (the house, the beach, trips)

At the moment I'm polishing up a few short stories. I figure trying to get these published will be a good way to get my feet wet.

The most important thing of all is that I'm having the time of my life. I can't begin to describe how wonderful it feels to get up in the morning and know you're not going someplace you hate to do something you can hardly stand for twelve hours.

Matt
10-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Knucks, you are a true Renaissance man. You have my full support, and once your book is published, I will be first in line to have my copy signed. (y)

kaiser soze
10-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Goodluck Knucks!

I'm sure it's going to be quite a book with your imagination. (y)

I wrote a children's book in 6th grade.

I would like to produce a t.v. sitcom. I already have the opening credits and pilot planned out

jackrock
10-31-2008, 11:49 PM
A true writer grows his beard out.

Randetica
11-01-2008, 10:34 AM
good luck STILL!

i wrote some LOL stories back then but i think only me and my sister would get those silly ass jokes