PDA

View Full Version : ...any nice surprises lately?

abcdefz
10-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Me: well, I got home last night and there was a letter on the door from the newish apartment management. They're re-tiling the front entrance
and then putting new carpet in the halls, which it needs.

That's cool. I mean, they had just raised the rent this month and I was thinking, "That's fine -- but I hope they're going to make some
improvements." And they are.

Hopefully it won't be ugly carpeting.

Your turn.

ScarySquirrel
10-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I have a phone interview with a company that found ME. I looked at their website and stuff too and it doesn't seem like a scam, so I'm a little excited.

If it is one of those scam things though... man, am I gonna be pissed.

paul jones
10-16-2007, 11:23 AM
I saw this toad/frog thing on the decking in the garden again last night.We call him George.He was just staring at me whilst I smoked

DandyFop
10-16-2007, 11:25 AM
This isn't mine but hey why not.

My sister and her husband got kicked out of their place because some guy bought
it and is tearing it all down or something. Their place is insanely small, really intended
for one person. So they found another place close by, a little more expensive but
awesome, bigger, with a nicer kitchen. When they went to move in, the landlords
had put champagne in the fridge as a welcoming gift. That's a pretty awesome
surprise.

abcdefz
10-16-2007, 11:25 AM
I have a phone interview with a company that found ME. I looked at their website and stuff too and it doesn't seem like a scam, so I'm a little excited.

If it is one of those scam things though... man, am I gonna be pissed.

...what, like a headhunter called you?

abcdefz
10-16-2007, 11:28 AM
This isn't mine but hey why not.

My sister and her husband got kicked out of their place because some guy bought
it and is tearing it all down or something. Their place is insanely small, really intended
for one person. So they found another place close by, a little more expensive but
awesome, bigger, with a nicer kitchen. When they went to move in, the landlords
had put champagne in the fridge as a welcoming gift. That's a pretty awesome
surprise.

Dang! (y)

MC Moot
10-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Our cook bought me a beautiful piece of chilean sea bass this morning.....:)

http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=83684

abcdefz
10-16-2007, 11:32 AM
I saw that thread and wished I had one of my cookbooks here.

I think there was a sea bass meal laid out which included watermelon juice. I can't remember how the bass was done, though.
There was something yellow or orange involved... maybe some sort of pear side dish.

I can't remember.

Loppfessor
10-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Last night I had an extremely vivid dream that I shit my pants and I awoke sure that I had...then I felt my ass and there was no poop! Man tha twas a nice surprise

abcdefz
10-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Lucky you.

Last week when I got so sick, I had diarrhea. I was coming back from the store, it hit me out of the blue, and I made it into the apartment
but not the bathroom.

I haven't done that since I was about eight years old, away at camp.

Bob
10-16-2007, 11:47 AM
i'd laugh at you but i had a pants-crapping emergency yesterday too. i was coming home from work, and right around when i got on the subway, it hit me, probably a good 30 minutes away from home. this turned out to be a very long 30 minutes, as i was not aware of any public restrooms between me and my home, and any fruitless searches for one would cost me time. there were a couple moments where i was sure i wasn't going to make it, but i'm a survivor, i made it home clean

$2.25 for 2 slices of pizza, i knew that was too good to be true

abcdefz
10-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, dude, believe me, I know. I've had close calls before in my life but am generally pretty well potty trained. This would've probably been
funny to see, though, because I'd get a moment's relief, make it a few steps and then have to stop moving or I'd lose it, but the clock was
ticking, and if I didn't move, it was coming anyway, so I'd get a few steps and have to stop or I'd lose it...

TMI, I know, but I can't be ashamed about this. I was sick, it totally caught me off guard, and there was honestly nothing I could do.

Schmeltz
10-16-2007, 11:54 AM
I got a raise a few days ago, just out of the blue. For throwing down and being such a solid worker. (y)

Then I gave my two weeks notice on Saturday. (y)(y)

Rock
10-16-2007, 11:59 AM
My wife didn't get laid off (yet) from the massive cutbacks at AOL today. It wasn't a surprise, but it was a nice relief.

abcdefz
10-16-2007, 12:06 PM
I think I remember you posting something about possible layoffs. That's good news.

Does AOL take care of their people if they're laid off?

Bob
10-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah, dude, believe me, I know. I've had close calls before in my life but am generally pretty well potty trained. This would've probably been
funny to see, though, because I'd get a moment's relief, make it a few steps and then have to stop moving or I'd lose it, but the clock was
ticking, and if I didn't move, it was coming anyway, so I'd get a few steps and have to stop or I'd lose it...

TMI, I know, but I can't be ashamed about this. I was sick, it totally caught me off guard, and there was honestly nothing I could do.

i had a similar thing going on when i took the SATs...i'm sure i've told this story before

abcdefz
10-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Go for it. Misery loves company.

Bob
10-16-2007, 12:41 PM
no, i mean like i must have told it on this board 3 times already, i don't wanna sound like a broken record or reveal the fact that it's the only interesting life story i have

Waus
10-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Spin magazine finally came yesterday. Oh - and I found out Xbox games are only like 15$ now!

abcdefz
10-16-2007, 12:44 PM
no, i mean like i must have told it on this board 3 times already, i don't wanna sound like a broken record or reveal the fact that it's the only interesting life story i have

Ah. Fair enough.

I should pay more attention. For as much as I post on here, there are these huge gaps of "common knowledge" from time to time.

MC Moot
10-16-2007, 12:57 PM
well,it's a surprise,I just found out that my urinalysis came back dirty for THC and I have not had so much as 1 draw on the holy chalice in over 6 weeks....:confused:...Oh!...and the candidate I voted for is now our mayor...finally my vote counted....

Rock
10-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Does AOL take care of their people if they're laid off?

2 months salary (to find another job within AOL), 2 months severance..full pay. so yeah...I think that falls under the 'taken care of' category.

Rock
10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
well,it's a surprise,I just found out that my urinalysis came back dirty for THC and I have not had so much as 1 draw on the holy chalice in over 6 weeks.

Smoked so much ganja that you need more time to clear up. I guess. Exercise, and water. That'll get you through the next time. My friend did that on a weekly basis before meeting with his PO and he passed every time.

cookiepuss
10-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Smoked so much ganja that you need more time to clear up. I guess. Exercise, and water. That'll get you through the next time. My friend did that on a weekly basis before meeting with his PO and he passed every time.

yeah the THC gets stored in your fat cells. so if you smoke everyday for a few years you aren't going to be clean from quiting for 2 weeks or a month. it can take up to 3 months or more...but antioxidants, water and excercise (get rid of those fat cells) and you'll have better odds coming up clean.

MC Moot
10-16-2007, 02:46 PM

yeah the THC gets stored in your fat cells. so if you smoke everyday for a few years you aren't going to be clean from quiting for 2 weeks or a month. it can take up to 3 months or more...but antioxidants, water and excercise (get rid of those fat cells) and you'll have better odds coming up clean.

Yeah I just embraced serious cessation after a 10 year run in which there was only 2 months out of each year that I did'nt use pretty much on a daily basis (overseas,no weed)....I thought it would of washed out and I am exposed to 2nd hand smoke,so I don't know....I drink litres of water at work and home....thing is I swore up and down to my Doc that I'd quit....and when I got back from lunch there was a message in my mailbox from her,scolding me and calling me back in for another appt....:o

cookiepuss
10-16-2007, 02:58 PM
well at least it wasn't your job on the line or something like that. in that case i'd say use one of those "cleansing" products you get at head shops.

meh, it's your doctors job to scold. BAD Patient!! BAD!

Bob
10-16-2007, 03:02 PM
lol cmute likes boners

MC Moot
10-16-2007, 03:04 PM
meh, it's your doctors job to scold. BAD Patient!! BAD!

To quote her "James there are only 2 people in life you must be straight with 100% of the time,you lawyer and myself..."...i kid you not....:rolleyes:

cookiepuss
10-16-2007, 03:11 PM
hillarious. My doctor doesn't know I've ever smoked the ganj, much less that I've done it on a regular basis. I realize that I'm only hurting myself by not disclosing it 'cause, he can't advise me on things he doesn't know about. (and sometimes what a doctor doesn't know can kill you.)

I see her point...but I'm not honest with my doctor either...so.....there ya go.
I hope we don't die.

MC Moot
10-16-2007, 03:21 PM
..so.....there ya go.
I hope we don't die.

From what I've been able to understand it's inevitable my friend.....;)

cookiepuss
10-16-2007, 03:29 PM
I meant soon. I hope we don't die soon. heh.

but come to think of it, that's and excellent point....we are going to inevitably die and I want to go out blazing a fatty joint, Doc!!!! yay!

Rock
10-16-2007, 03:40 PM
well at least it wasn't your job on the line or something like that. in that case i'd say use one of those "cleansing" products you get at head shops.

Some places make you redo your whiz quiz because results come back inconclusive....at least thats what happened to me. I was just pissing straight water i think.

Also, when I was drug tested as a young'un by my family doctor, my mom and doctor had a long talk about 'the leaf' (as my mom calls it). She thought (and still does) it was like crack to the body. My doctor admitted to smoking it and that its not as bad for you as most people think....if its not smoked that is. So I used to think that was cool. But now when I really need some pain meds for my fucked up shoulder he laughs and doesn't give me any. I thought I had a point to this paragraph, but don't see it anymore.

beastiegirrl101
10-16-2007, 03:42 PM
My family and I just booked tickets to France for thanksgiving this week, not really a "surprize" because we had planned on going but def something I'm excited about and looking forward to.

Any Parisian BBMBers? ;)

Dorothy Wood
10-16-2007, 04:26 PM
google came by to take a picture of my work for google maps. and I have an art installation in the window. famous!

Bob
10-16-2007, 05:29 PM
i thought i just murdered my laptop, but it turns out i didn't

i was trying to install some new RAM, so i do it, i start up the computer, and the little blinking green light comes on to indicate that the computer is on, but nothing else happens. the monitor doesn't start, there's no little start-up noise, there's no...nothing, nothing's happening, my pulse quickens

but it turns out i just installed the ram wrong, i didn't push it in hard enough. i had to push it in until i heard the "click"

i hope trying to start my computer without any RAM installed won't have any lasting effects...everything seems to be working ok (faster, actually, though that's expected)

ScarySquirrel
10-16-2007, 05:35 PM
i hope trying to start my computer without any RAM installed won't have any lasting effects...everything seems to be working ok (faster, actually, though that's expected)
You'll be fine. It won't hurt anything... same thing happened to me when I installed RAM on my computer that I built back in high-school.

Bob
10-16-2007, 07:36 PM
You'll be fine. It won't hurt anything... same thing happened to me when I installed RAM on my computer that I built back in high-school.

that's a relief...i tell you, getting this stupid stuff installed was an adventure. they didn't make it easy to take the cover off. one of the screws was damaged, so my tiny screwdriver couldn't get in there (shut up), i had to go out and buy a bigger one. i honestly think it's just luck that i managed to get it out.

then while i was trying to pry the cover off with my screwdriver, i accidentally stabbed it into the memory compartment. i don't know if i hit anything but it felt like i did. when my computer wouldn't turn on properly i thought for sure i broke something.

then when i decided to try and reinstall the RAM, i couldn't get the motherfucker out, i'd installed it so improperly. but finally, finally, everything clicked, and i've never been happier to hear that windows startup noise. i thought i'd lost my laptop forever for a while there

Yeti
10-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Our offer was accepted and the house has passed the inspection.

We close on Oct 31st. Booo!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/AlienAiden/CedarbluffHouse.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/AlienAiden/CedarbluffBack.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/AlienAiden/CedarbluffSittingRoom.jpg

I can't wait to get my stuff from Texas. It has been 4 months without all of our clothes, furniture and on and on. Oh, and that house also sold and closes on Oct 30th.

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-16-2007, 10:09 PM
I just found out that the man of my dreams (for like 8 years now) broke up with his fiance!! Now it's hook, line, sinker and I've got myself something hot and shiny to show off! yuss! :D(y)

befsquire
10-16-2007, 11:28 PM
I got a raise a few days ago, just out of the blue. For throwing down and being such a solid worker. (y)
me too! only i got notice of it on october 1, and it was retroactive to the first of september. yay!

wait, that's sorta old...

anyway, i have had a lot of great surprises at work this week on stuff that only me and the clients facing minimum mandatories would care about, so i won't bore anyone with that, but i'm getting great news at work almost every day right now.

ericlee
10-17-2007, 12:55 AM
I was lickin the insides of my teeth and came across a piece of beef jerky that I ate 6 hours previously. Talk about a nice suprise!!

MC Moot
10-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Foot masage is now covered under new health plan....:)

abcdefz
10-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Seriously?

Nahhhhh. I might believe acupuncture, but not foot massage.

hpdrifter
10-19-2007, 11:44 AM
A store just opened around the corner and they are going to have a free taco del mar taco bar at lunch today.

By the way, I have a serious question. I have heard that smoking herb can cause a man's ability to create a healthy baby to diminish. Is this true? Does it damage semen? Does it make minor birth defects or disabilities more likely?

Lyman Zerga
10-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Who doesn't?

God :(

abcdefz
10-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Uh.... God created sex and blessed it and all.

MC Moot
10-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Seriously?

Nahhhhh. I might believe acupuncture, but not foot massage.

Yeah,all I need is a initial doctor's note and I have $500 for the year towards it,I can also see a naturopath now.....(y).....you don't buy into reflexology,man it releases toxins and allll that good stuff.....

hpdrifter
10-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Dude, he's from Canada. They're more progressive up there.

Freebasser
10-19-2007, 01:33 PM
I got approached by a random company we shall call "company x" who are interested in selling my illustrations on a certain type of apparel we shall name "apparel y" (not y-fronts) and if all goes well they'll take me on as a freelance designer and pay me a few bob for my designs. Add to that the fact that I'm 3 months away from a prospective pay-rise at work, and you'll understand why I'm feeling pretty cheery this weekend (y)

roosta
10-19-2007, 01:36 PM
A woman came up to me in the street and asked if i wanted a free haircut.

I didn't. But it was a nice surprise.

Lyman Zerga
10-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Uh.... God created sex and blessed it and all.

thats why girls have openings so god doesnt have to see those "god"damn boners!

makes perfect sense to me

Bob
10-19-2007, 01:46 PM
I got approached by a random company we shall call "company x" who are interested in selling my illustrations on a certain type of apparel we shall name "apparel y" (not y-fronts) and if all goes well they'll take me on as a freelance designer and pay me a few bob for my designs. Add to that the fact that I'm 3 months away from a prospective pay-rise at work, and you'll understand why I'm feeling pretty cheery this weekend (y)

i am not some currency that can just be exchanged for goods and services

adam_f
10-19-2007, 01:49 PM
My friend gave me a free sub from Subway, except I had to buy a cookie so money was exchanged, so I guess it really wasn't free.

Shit.

Bob
10-19-2007, 01:50 PM
My friend gave me a free sub from Subway, except I had to buy a cookie so money was exchanged, so I guess it really wasn't free.

Shit.

there ain't no such thing as a free lunch

Freebasser
10-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Bob's your uncle :(

cookiepuss
10-19-2007, 01:58 PM
By the way, I have a serious question. I have heard that smoking herb can cause a man's ability to create a healthy baby to diminish. Is this true? Does it damage semen? Does it make minor birth defects or disabilities more likely?

no. I beleive it just lowers sperm count. I haven't hear of actual birth defects being linked to it.

MC Moot
10-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Colonics!....it's covered as well......has anyone ever done it?....:D

TAL
10-19-2007, 02:47 PM
In October 2007, Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter announced during one of their live comedy shows that The State would be making a TV movie for Comedy Central to be completed in 2008. They added that the long-awaited The State DVD would likely be released at the same time as the movie.
YES!!

Yeti
10-19-2007, 03:33 PM
I got the job! They made me an offer--I countered and they accepted my counter. I start on Nov 13th.

hpdrifter
10-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Nice! Congrats, Yeti. The new house looks amazing.

Drederick Tatum
10-19-2007, 04:58 PM
my brother's girlfriend who I am very good friends with just got a Rhodes scholarship to go to Oxford and do her PhD.

wasn't really a surprise as we knew she was in the selection process, but pretty awesome anyway.

Yeti
10-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks so much!
I am heading to Texas on Tuesday to oversee the packing and move. We close on our Texas house Oct 30th and the new house on the 13th. We really like the new house. We do need to update the kitchen and we plan to renovate a bedroom and put in a master bath. Our master bedroom does have a bathroom but there is a larger bedroom next to the walk-in attic. It will be perfect to knock down a wall and enlarge the room and add a nice bathroom. The attic is huge so we will still have plenty of storage. All this happening and a new job. When it rains it pours. We are very excited to get settled in our new home and be normal again. We have been vagabonds for the last 4 months.

vickista
10-19-2007, 10:58 PM
i helped ma clean up the shop friday night and we were going to see michael clayton but we didnt get to the cinema intime and the session had started, my mum knew that i really wanted to see it so instead she took me too a fancy little restraunt in hardware lane.

it was fun, and the waiter was french.

and the foood was really good and there was live jazz and we were sitting outside under the heater.

it was really cool.

(y)

vickista
10-19-2007, 11:01 PM
OH!! and

i got one of the lead roles in out Performing arts play.

I'm James Kraft, founder of the Kraft food company and im sposed to have a New yorkan accent,
so any tips for that would be awesome.

Loppfessor
10-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Yeah,all I need is a initial doctor's note and I have $500 for the year towards it,I can also see a naturopath now.....(y).....you don't buy into reflexology,man it releases toxins and allll that good stuff.....

Reflexology is the shit man!!! Thislady got rid of my shoulder and lower back pain by rubbing my feet! It was fucking amazing

Bob
10-20-2007, 01:00 AM
but i'm an only child

Bob
10-20-2007, 01:01 AM
but i'm an only child

would have been an appropriate thing to say at the end of page 2

TAL
11-20-2007, 04:35 AM
In October 2007, Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter announced during one of their live comedy shows that The State would be making a TV movie for Comedy Central to be completed in 2008. They added that the long-awaited The State DVD would likely be released at the same time as the movie. YES!!

I got to be happy for a month, that's pretty good.

* * * NOTE (Nov 1, 2007): We are sorry to report The State DVD is now NOT being released this fall. We worked closely with MTV to make a great DVD set with lots of extras for the show, and the DVDs are completed, but they has chosen not to release the set at this time. We don't know why.
BASTARDS!!

abcdefz
11-20-2007, 09:15 AM
How about getting Spaced on DVD in the States for us.

Please? I'd really like to see what the fuss is about.

MC Moot
11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
My staff retreat has been approved and I get to take 23 co-workers to the museum to check out an Emily Carr exhibit,which is going to be privately interpretted/led by a great niece of hers...the we get to go for indian buffet and on to a pub....I'm gonna be a star....(y)

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/EmilyCarr/en/index.php