PDA

View Full Version : Quitting your job via text message...

cookiepuss
10-16-2007, 05:04 PM
ummm...yeah do any of you think that's appropriate?

and lets just say that you only worked the job one day...flaked off for two weeks, requesting tons of days off and such.

and lets also say you got the job because your "friend's" boyfriend was the manager and he went out on a limb to hire you and help you out.

IS IT fucking APPROPRIATE to QUIT by TEXT MESSAGE then? eh?:mad:

a "friend" of mine just did this. This is a person I haven't known too long and had some doubts about thier reliablity to begin with, but now I really have to reconsider whether I can be friends with someone who acts this way.

(to expand on the topic...this would be a good time to share a situation where you helped someone out and they acted like a cretin.)

paul jones
10-16-2007, 05:10 PM
that's an act of a lunatic!

cookiepuss
10-16-2007, 05:19 PM
hey I know it's a lame retail job...but when you KNOW someone who gets you the job because you say you want it...well then I though it was customary to try not to act like a douche bag.

honestly...if she had just CALLED and said..."I'm sorry this is more than I can handle with my schedule, I made a mistake applying in the first place." every thing would be fine. no one would be angry. but texting that you quit 3 hours before your shift is to start tends to make people grouchy.

looking back I knew this wouldn't work out. I mean even before this happened, this girl wouldn't have even been the second person I would call if my car broke down and I needed help. she'd be a last resort if no one else could help me. that says alot right there.

*le sigh*

paul jones
10-16-2007, 05:23 PM
*le agree*

ScarySquirrel
10-16-2007, 05:29 PM
I think quitting by text message sounds like one of the most idiotic things I can imagine.

Someone sounds like they need a lesson in tact.

On a slightly related note... I'm probably going to piss my co-workers off this weekend by trying to leave early on both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday just so I can hang out downtown with my (married) friends and Sunday so I can actually go to a job interview for a second job that has potential to become a real career type job.

I think the second is understandable, but the first reason for wanting to leave early might raise some eyebrows. Plus, doing it two days in a row... probably not a good idea. Oh well.

ericlee
10-16-2007, 05:49 PM
when I quit my job, I'm gonna do it via the bbmb and text the link to my boss.

Really though, doing anything via text messages for job related issues just shows a lack of balls.

paul jones
10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
when I quit my job, I'm gonna do it via the bbmb and text the link to my boss.

Really though, doing anything via text messages for job related issues just shows a lack of balls.

OMG That's an amzing idea! Eric RLZ!(y)

TurdBerglar
10-16-2007, 06:47 PM
i think going out on a limb for someone you don't know very well is even less acceptable

SobaViolence
10-16-2007, 11:29 PM
i quit via post-it-note once...

i didn't let anyone down though.
well, except my douchebag of a manager.

Yetra Flam
10-16-2007, 11:31 PM
was it all "i am teh quittorz irl"

cookiepuss
10-17-2007, 10:04 AM

lol. yeah that would have been good.

he didn't go out on that much of a limb to hire her...I say that simply in the sense that he knew her before hiring her... so it makes him look kinda bad. he shouldn't have done it, but he thought he was doing a good thing. when you think you know someone, you're willing to give them a shot cause you don't expect them to screw you over.

whatevazzzzzzz. over it. I confronted her about it and she's avoiding me now so that's dunzo.

quittorzzzz! hahahaa.

Kid Presentable
10-17-2007, 10:08 AM
I think it's funny. I would have done something like that in the past. I'm not above admitting that. I got a job through a friend once, and just simply stopped going. Easy.

abcdefz
10-17-2007, 10:10 AM
There would have to be incredibly particular circumstances to make me quit via text message. I probably would've had to have been an abused
for quite some time.

Yeah, but anyway. I will not recommend someone unless I know they're reliable. To me, a recommendation is kind of like putting my
ass on the line, too. I had one friend who was looking for a job at a place where I worked, was in the interview and apparently dropped
my name, because I got called in on the spot. My boss asked me something like "Would he be a reliable employee?" which really put me
on the spot, because I had to say no. I'd known him for years and known he was a flake privately and professionally.

Never use someone as a reference unless you've asked them first, by the way.

cookiepuss
10-17-2007, 10:12 AM
you suck Kid!!!!:p

seriously though, I don't understand. to me if my friend asks me to come work for them(or I ask my friend if i can work for them which is how this went down), I'm going to do the best I can for them and at the very least I'm gonna talk to them directly about any conflicts I'm having with the job.

but I guess the other percentage of the population feels that since they are friends outside the work world that there is something casual about the terms of thier employment and they can do whatever the fuck they want.:(

Kid Presentable
10-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I never recommend anybody. I'll gladly lie as a reference for people, though. Not at my jobs, but if they're going to be somebody elses problem, why not help them?

cookiepuss
10-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I didn't recommend her. he didn't exactly recommend her either, simply vouched that he knew her. She asked for the job. he mistakenly thought I had better taste in friends and gave her a shot. mistake.

and this was not like some big exectutive position or anything, it's retail and employees are a dime a dozen. I just still would have hoped she would have taken it a little more seriously. Plus I'm sure she never though about the fact that she might be taking the position from some other douche bag who might have really needed it and would have shown up.

I'm honestly embarassed that I considered her a "friend". I don't know how I could have been so dumb.

Kid Presentable
10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Tough shit. You'll live. (y)

cookiepuss
10-17-2007, 10:31 AM
ummm...I know.:rolleyes:

TAL
10-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I quit football (soccer to some fools) by hanging my jersey so it was the first thing the coach saw when he got out of his car the next practice.

cookiepuss
10-17-2007, 10:45 AM
I quit football (soccer to some fools) by hanging my jersey so it was the first thing the coach saw when he got out of his car the next practice.

I forgive you.;)

Thundercracker
10-17-2007, 12:40 PM
i've done it.
last year i quit my job in catering by sending my boss a text message right before a job, when she had no one to replace me.
i said that i'm not coming, i don't want any more shifts, and that i'm sick of her being such a bitch.

never heared back from her since :)

Lyman Zerga
10-17-2007, 02:38 PM

hahahaaha (y)

I quit football (soccer to some fools)

:mad:

hahahaaha (y)

I quit football (soccer to some fools)

:mad:

DOH!