PDA

View Full Version : decisions, decisions

beastieangel01
10-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Life has thrown an incredible amount of things at me and I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do with myself.

In a nutshell: I got laid off, I have to leave the place I'm living (Ugh x100 believe me I know) and emotionally speaking things have been rough in my personal life romantically and with my family.

And it just feels like there is nothing really else for me here anymore. Except my two best friends whom I love to death but, otherwise, there's nothing. The weather is nice but that's all I really feel for this place.

I have the opportunity to move to a few places. Some more appealing than others. San Fran, New York, and Charlotte. One of those places I absolutely love, San Fran. Well, I haven't been there since I was 16 but I really loved it. I felt at HOME. And I've never felt that before. I've only been to NYC during the day and it was cool but I didn't get the at home feeling. Then I've never been to Charlotte.

Those places all have a place for me to live that I can afford doing this instant. There is a potential job lead in San Francisco that is pretty good, the other two have no leads but I am sure I could find something.

So I am trying to figure out if maybe I should just leave to one of those places and go for it. Try and start a bit fresh and clear my head. But at the same time, I'm kind of nervous about it.

I guess I am just looking for advice, input, to hear others experiences that may have been similiar, etc.

What would you do?

mikizee
10-16-2007, 08:12 PM
This is my answer to everyone but move to Australia! It rules!

If not, move to san fran. At least there you can get in car jumping police chases and do mythbuster experiments.

TurdBerglar
10-16-2007, 08:13 PM
i would say stay close to home unless your family is just utterly pointless to your life.

Yetra Flam
10-16-2007, 08:13 PM
your life kinda has freakishly mirrored mine in the past year. but i suppose there are recurring patterns in everyone's lives.

a move is a good idea, but it's better if you have friends or family or a job to set up base with, you know?
i think starting fresh would be a really great thing.

beastieangel01
10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
I love my little brother a lot but as far as staying close to family in order to have "safety" that doesn't matter what-so-ever. And I'm kind of not speaking to my Father right now.

And in each town I do have a few friends.

Yetra: yeah it seems that way. Starting fresh just sounds, nice. :)

adam_f
10-16-2007, 08:17 PM
From the sound of it, it seems that San Fran sounds like the best opportunity. You said you felt at home there and there is a job lead there, so it almost seems like a natural fit. I know what you're going through because in the next couple months I'm more than likely going to pick up and move with my brother to Chicago. That feels like home to me. Sometimes your real home (San Diego) just isn't the place you're supposed to be. It seems scary to move on, but it's okay to be scared and apprehensive. The best start is sometimes a new start, and it sounds like that's what you're looking for.

San Fran is closer to home than the other two places, so if for some reason things didn't work out, you'd be closer to home than if you lived on the East coast. It'd be the least scary option, and at the same time, it sounds as if it might be the option that would offer the best opportunity for happiness.

TurdBerglar
10-16-2007, 08:17 PM
i don't like hustle and bustle and NC seems real laid back. i would choose charlotte.

beastieangel01
10-16-2007, 08:27 PM
oh I also was going to say I want to stay in school and by staying within California my tuition wouldn't be jacked up. So that's another plus of SF.

I really like hustle & bustle actually. I like to be really social and get out and about.

TurdBerglar
10-16-2007, 08:30 PM
sounds like san fran's winning

beastieangel01
10-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Sometimes your real home (San Diego) just isn't the place you're supposed to be. It seems scary to move on, but it's okay to be scared and apprehensive. The best start is sometimes a new start, and it sounds like that's what you're looking for.

San Fran is closer to home than the other two places, so if for some reason things didn't work out, you'd be closer to home than if you lived on the East coast.

Yeah I think that's really is just what is scary for me. This has been home for me. But then again it never felt 'right.' Also, as far as things not working out and me coming "home" there is really no plus side of coming home to be honest no matter how dire things get. My parents are not an option so maybe crashing on friends couches if necessary but I also would have that in each place I just listed. Hence why I am thinking to myself "why even stay here?"

I feel like I know the answer but I'm just nervous.

RobMoney$
10-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Why not be Bi-coastal.

The Notorious LOL
10-16-2007, 08:42 PM
San Francisco would rule....but unless you have a job lined up with an offer, and a place to live secured I would steer clear. Too fucking expensive of a city.

here (http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_result.asp?presentsalary=30000&presenthomemetrocode=155&presentworkmetrocode=155&newhomemetrocode=156&newworkmetrocode=156&currentlocation=155&newlocation=156&x=52&y=8)

AceFace
10-16-2007, 08:44 PM
i've been to charlotte a bazillion times. i love that city. def one of the cities i'd think about moving to.

it's pretty large, but i gotta say if you're used to a REALLY big city, it might not be the place for you. you also have to remember us southerners take things slower so even if the city is big enough for yah, just remember we take our tiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmeeee talking and doing other general stuff... what i'm trying to say is the pace of that city is slower than say any city north of DC.

i love being a southern girl, minus all the prejudices about me being uneducated, racist and my brother's wife. (psst* i am none of those)

The Notorious LOL
10-16-2007, 08:52 PM
I just did that salary calculator comparing Minneapolis to San Fran....108% higher cost of living. Fuck outta here with that shit.

I dunno, if I wanted to live in that area Id probably move to San Jose since its quite a bit cheaper.

skra75
10-16-2007, 09:21 PM
not to sound too too much like a cornball but all these things have happened right now to tell you that you need to get the hell outta town and do something that makes you happy.

when I got that urge years ago, I didn't care where the hell I ended up. I just knew I wanted to do something fun for a living. So I researched all the places I really, really would like to work at. It didn't matter where they were, I just sent them (resumes/portfolios) everywhere.

You can always move again. And, once you move away from "home" (San Deigo) you will find it's really easy to move someplace else.

It takes balls, I'm not gonna lie.

Find a place you want to work for. I suggest corporate. You will get health benefits, and the lack of them seems to rule a good share of your agony lately. Then, look at where it is at, and decide which place will suck less. Chances are it will not be a place you would have immediately considered moving to.

Dallas is supposed to be great for jobs and has a decent nightlife. As is Austin. East Coast is good, but Boston is easy to work at than NYC. NYC eats people's souls, like LA (and I heard the same about SF).

Also, don't rule out moving to another country. Consider South America, expecially Argentina. You speak (some) spanish and you might find yourself in a powerful position down there.

Stop limiting yourself, get organized, and take the bull by the balls. Now's the chance to take it.

Don't be scared off by Nick he's being a weenie.

skra75
10-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Also, don't move to the South the South suuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkks. Take the midwest and multiply it times 10 and add hairspray and racism.

Yeti
10-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Well, the train to Grinder's Switch is runnin' right on time
And them Tucker Boys are cookin' down in Caroline
People down in Florida can't be still
When ol' Lynyrd Skynrd's pickin' down in Jacksonville
People down in Georgia come from near and far
To hear Richard Betts pickin' on that red guitar

So gather 'round, gather 'round chillun'
Get down, well just get down chillun'
Get loud, well you can be loud and be proud
Well you can be proud, hear now
Be proud you're a rebel
'Cause the South's gonna do it again and again

YeeHaw! Giddy Up.

cookiepuss
10-16-2007, 09:49 PM
if you come to san fran we might actually get to hang out, which would be fun. I think I already gave you a pro/con list for the little city so you've got that to refer to.

marsdaddy
10-17-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm extremely biased, but SF is one of the best places in the world -- one reason it's so expensive. You can either take a flyer, or make a plan. Do some research on the job opportunity and living situation. Come up for a few days and see if you can get more details.

Not to sway your decision, but there might at least be a part-time babysitting job in SF.

BBboy20
10-17-2007, 03:41 AM
San Fran.

AceFace
10-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Also, don't move to the South the South suuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkks. Take the midwest and multiply it times 10 and add hairspray and racism.

JESUS! that's just a TERRIBLE generalization. i've seen just as much hairspray and racists up north.

it makes me sick to my stomach when someone says crap like this.

hpdrifter
10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Is Charlotte on the table because of that guy? If so then I would say don't move there. He's got too much going on and you deserve someone who isn't going to drag you down with his baggage.

I'd say NYC but I guess I'm alone in that. My sis moved there recently and LOVES it.

San Fran is great too.

Yeti
10-17-2007, 11:22 AM
JESUS! that's just a TERRIBLE generalization. i've seen just as much hairspray and racists up north.

it makes me sick to my stomach when someone says crap like this.

I agree and I am a bit disappointed in skra75 for his comment. I have been all over the US and Europe. I find odd closed minded people everywhere.
I have moved around the last 4 years and I am glad to be back in Virginia.

Lyman Zerga
10-17-2007, 02:25 PM
whats charlotte? a girl? HOT!

nyc seems to be a too busy and fast living (for me atleast)

san fransisco looks absolutely fantastic! only know it from the TV though..

skra75
10-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I agree and I am a bit disappointed in skra75 for his comment. I have been all over the US and Europe. I find odd closed minded people everywhere.
I have moved around the last 4 years and I am glad to be back in Virginia.

god you guys stop being such weenies.
the south is fine.
whereever you go there you are.
however, the south does do things more slowly.
I've just never had fun down there, ever.
I'm baised.
and your food is not really that good (except cajun food).

Yeti
10-17-2007, 04:21 PM
god you guys stop being such weenies.
the south is fine.
whereever you go there you are.
however, the south does do things more slowly.
I've just never had fun down there, ever.
I'm baised.
and your food is not really that good (except cajun food).

You classified the entire south as redneck racists. I am not being a weenie. I am just defending a region that I love. People are friendly in Central Virginia and I like being 1 hour from the mountains and 2 hours from the ocean. You say that we do things slowly but I don't really think I notice people moving around in slow motion. What is the hurry anyway? Obviously, I don't think I would ever change your opinion and that is OK. To each their own. As for the food. I can find good Mexican, Italian, soul food and on and on.
And the possum MMMMMmmmmmm. Do you know how many southerners it takes to eat a possum?
1 to watch for traffic and 1 to eat.

It is all good skra. I have a good time everywhere I travel. Even where people speak foreign languages, ignore me and eat snails.
Stereotypes are kind of close minded. I don't think people in Idaho have kids that look like Mr Potato Head or people in Wisconsin eat sausage injected with cheese for every meal or people in California are blond and say like in every sentence--you get the idea.

AceFace
10-17-2007, 04:29 PM
you rule yeti.

skra. i still love ya, bless your little heart.

insertnamehere
10-17-2007, 04:32 PM
NC BBQ and Collard Greens.

'nuff said.

for the record, nc bbq is different than any other bbq. Where different = exponentially better.

I've never been to any of these cities though besides New York, which seemed like a pretty awesome place.

Why is Charlotte awesome? Should I visit there? Is it really that big?

Yeti
10-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I went to Charlotte and it is just off the highway. I think it is 85 south. There are alot of young people and some art districts. I don't think you need to go out of the way to visit. NYC, San Diego and San Fran are tourist destinations. I can't really say that about Charlotte. Unless you want to go see where the Charlotte Hornets used to play basketball or tour Wachovia bank's headquarters.

monkey
10-17-2007, 09:41 PM
ny is awesome! remember that!

adam_f
10-18-2007, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by monkey
ny is awesome! remember that!

If she moved to NY, that would make my fantasy that much more possible. Oh...yeah.

Lex Diamonds
10-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Go to Brownsville! Home of the brave! And put in work in the streets like a slave.

skra75
10-18-2007, 08:22 AM
I don't think people in Idaho have kids that look like Mr Potato Head or people in Wisconsin eat sausage injected with cheese for every meal or people in California are blond and say like in every sentence

But those things are true!

Nah, I'll stop hating on the south. I'll say this, the people we more slow-moving but they were alot more polite. And I'm an old-fashioned guy and it felt good to have that.

I'm sure if I go there and experience nightlife andenjoy the scenery more I'd learn to love it.

beastieangel01
10-18-2007, 01:52 PM
so I just had a job interview yesterday and I am supposed to find out today if I got it.

I really love this company. I worked for them earlier this year and I wanted to stay so bad but they didn't have any openings and my temp coverage was finished at that point. But yeah, I really love it there and I'd be a very happy girl to work there and it would come with benefits and all that too.

If I don't get it, I think I'm going to head out. And if so I also have Vegas as an option on the table, too.

Yeti
10-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Good luck!

I just got back from my job interview and it sounds like I have it. They said I will hear from human resources tomorrow. The head of the department (Tamra) gave me a kiss on the cheek when the interview was over. The producer/director job would start on Veterans Day so I would get paid on my 1st day which is a day off. Then I would go to an entire day of orientation. I probably won't really be doing any real work until late November or December.
Gotta love it!

I used to work for the company and during the interview they kept saying stuff like---when you start---you will be going to Avid school next month---you will have your own camera---your timing is perfect with your move back to town. It was also nice to get a hug and kiss to end the interview. She said--I know this is not professional but it is great having you back. I just want that call tomorrow to seal the deal.

Rock
10-18-2007, 02:26 PM
She said--I know this is not professional but it is great having you back. I just want that call tomorrow to seal the deal.
wait...are you talking about following up on the kiss on the cheek or getting the job?
Good luck though. Sounds like its a go.

And to you too BA01. Rock that shit homey, rock that shiiiiiit!

Yeti
10-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Ha! I want the call for the job offer. I think it is in the bag but it is never a done deal until you get that call. I was nervous since I have been Mr Mom for 10 months. I have been doing some freelance work here and there but not a 9to 5---- five days a week job. They seemed very happy to see me and excited that I was back. It is a good paying job with great benefits and hours. I was lucky because a guy retired just as I got back to town and jobs do not open very often with the department.

Yeti
10-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Yeti, you are blessed because you are a good person. It's that simple.

Ah, cmute, will you give me a hug and a kiss?

Seriously, thanks for that comment. I try to be good.

Lyman Zerga
10-18-2007, 03:18 PM
But those things are true!

Nah, I'll stop hating on the south. I'll say this, the people we more slow-moving but they were alot more polite. And I'm an old-fashioned guy and it felt good to have that.

I'm sure if I go there and experience nightlife andenjoy the scenery more I'd learn to love it.

i didnt really read the posts about this topic but i think racists are everywhere but some places have more racists than others

but thats probably a racistic thing of me to say

Yeti
10-18-2007, 04:44 PM
i didnt really read the posts about this topic but i think racists are everywhere but some places have more racists than others

but thats probably a racistic thing of me to say

Nobel winner in 'racist' claim
LONDON, England (CNN) -- A British museum has canceled a lecture by Dr. James Watson, co-discoverer of the DNA double helix, after he claimed black people are less intelligent than whites in a recent newspaper interview.
Watson, who won the 1962 Nobel prize for his part in discovering the structure of DNA, provoked a storm of criticism after his comments were published in the Sunday Times.
The eminent biologist told the British newspaper he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours -- whereas all the testing says not really."
Watson, 79, had been due to give a lecture at London's Science Museum on Friday but the museum canceled his appearance, saying his comments had "gone beyond the point of acceptable debate."
The American professor's words have been roundly condemned as "racist," with fellow scientists dismissing his claims as "genetic nonsense."
"He should recognize that statements of this sort have racist functions and are to be deeply, deeply regretted," said Professor Steven Rose of the British Open University.
Watson is credited with discovering the double helix along with Maurice Wilkins and Francis Crick in 1962.
In the newspaper interview, he said there was no reason to think that races which had grown up in separate geographical locations should have evolved identically. He went on to say that although he hoped everyone was equal, "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true".
The British government's skills minister, David Lammy, who is black, called the comments "deeply offensive" and said Watson would only succeed in providing oxygen for extremist political groups.
"It is a shame that a man with a record of scientific distinction should see his work overshadowed by his own irrational prejudices," Lammy told CNN.
Watson is not the first scientist to show sympathy for the theory of a racial basis for intellectual difference. In March of last year Dr. Frank Ellis from Leeds University provoked anger in Britain after he admitted he found evidence that racial groups perform differently "extremely convincing."

The Notorious LOL
10-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Rock that shit homey, rock that shiiiiiit!

yeah you better go home before I whoop your little bad ass.