PDA

View Full Version : American Fashion is...

Waus
10-17-2007, 11:50 AM
an oxymoron.

I went to Yosemite this last summer, and I pointed out to my brother that whenever you saw a group of people and thought "hey, they don't look like jackasses" they'd inevitably walk by and be speaking italian or french or spanish or ANYTHING other than english.

Why do Americans, with exceptions of course, always tend to dress like the most tasteless slobs in the world?

TurdBerglar
10-17-2007, 11:53 AM
americans tend not to give a shit about most things. haven't you noticed?

Waus
10-17-2007, 11:54 AM
What makes Italians different?

Honest question.

TurdBerglar
10-17-2007, 11:54 AM
they care?

TurdBerglar
10-17-2007, 11:55 AM
it seems that americans care more about being comfortable. wearing some tight ass designer jeans is not comfort. sweatpants and a stretched out teeshirt is.

TurdBerglar
10-17-2007, 12:02 PM
what exactly were these slobs weaing?

if i went to yosemite i'd just wear track pants and a hoodie and some fucked up shoes.

AceFace
10-17-2007, 12:03 PM
i love the way europeans dress.

i'm not quite sure how to answer this. i feel i have good style for the most part, but can't afford the clothing that i really want to wear. i was really irritated yesterday b/c i was in Sak's (i was out of town, and we don't have one around here) and i was admiring this GORGEOUS sweater. it was $250 freaking dollars and it was MADE IN CHINA! i was so pissed. no wonder we all dress like jerks. all the shit available to us to purchase is all made in the same cheap, horrible conditions, but we have to pay more for the brand (which i didn't even recognize this label).

i don't know where i'm going with this other than i can't afford the awesome stuff i want. i might buy something from ben sherman (my FAVE!) twice a year if i get a bonus or something.

HEIRESS
10-17-2007, 12:17 PM
I wear pants with a zipper like once a week
that is also probably the same occasion where once a week I put on mascara and eye shadow before I leave the house.

fact.

abcdefz
10-17-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure that Yosemite is the best place to go see how Americans dress. Might as well be going to McDonald's.

MC Moot
10-17-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm really digging German clothiers right now,almost paramilitary,clean lines,greys and browns,simple but somehow refined.....did you know that Hugo Boss designed S.S uniforms....:eek:

HEIRESS
10-17-2007, 12:28 PM
canadians and europeans have a penchant for overly priced outwear.

anyone can look put together if they are wearing a 300 dollar rain shell.

MC Moot
10-17-2007, 12:33 PM
North Face,Columbia,M.E.C......guilty as charged

Bob
10-17-2007, 12:49 PM
i generally agree but sometimes europeans look like jackasses in the opposite way, in that they put a little too much effort into what they're wearing, and they just end up looking dumb

one thing that some young people apparently like to do is wear a tie and a button-up shirt, but without the shirt tucked in. that just looks dumb

MC Moot
10-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Sock and sandals....athletic socks with dress pants.....classsssy....

abcdefz
10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
one thing that some young people apparently like to do is wear a tie and a button-up shirt, but without the shirt tucked in. that just looks dumb

When I was a kid, there was a trend for a while to wear a sweater over a dress shirt and leave the shirt untucked. That one was weird.

Freebasser
10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Yes we're all stylish as fuck over hyarrrr.

Even the yobbos wear tuxedos while they go around a-lootin' and a-shootin' tha place oop.

Bob
10-17-2007, 01:26 PM
When I was a kid, there was a trend for a while to wear a sweater over a dress shirt and leave the shirt untucked. That one was weird.

some people still do that

abcdefz
10-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Last year I started seeing popped collars coming back, too.

MC Moot
10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Baseball caps worn indoors,or with a stupid fuck'n bandana underneath....point the brim forward kidz.....the art of being a gentleman is going the way of the dodo.....and I gotta say London,Paris,Madrid hip hop fashion has become the youth's passion....

Bob
10-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Last year I started seeing popped collars coming back, too.

don't even get me started on those

abcdefz
10-17-2007, 01:37 PM
No shit.

Hey, man -- if you're standing outside and it's 10 degrees with a pretty hefty wind chill factor, feel free to pop that collar on your overcoat.
Promptly put it back down when you get inside. This is your only, only, only excuse.

abcdefz
10-17-2007, 01:44 PM
*raises hand*

I've seen the sock and sandals thing; I can vouch for it. Hell, I even saw that on some students (presumably) in Berkeley -- not just
clueless middle aged guys.

Hey -- is it warm? Wear sandals, get some air on your piggies.

Too cold for sandals? Don't want to risk your feet getting dusty? Don't wear sandals.

abcdefz
10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
And let us not forget fanny packs. Lots of fanny packs.

Fanny packs (bum bags) are a crime. Might be as bad as leg warmers.

abcdefz
10-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Well you live in California, and you fuckers have always dressed weird. I wish I had a clip of John McClain saying "California".

Leg warmers happened when I lived in Indiana, which is worse.

Waus
10-17-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure that Yosemite is the best place to go see how Americans dress. Might as well be going to McDonald's.

Yosemite is my anectodal example because it's one ofthe only places where I've really run into a significant amount of actual foreigners in America.

abcdefz
10-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Ah. Carry on, then.

taquitos
10-17-2007, 03:01 PM
I dress like a slob because I work in a restaurant almost everyday, then go to the bars directly from work. Socially, I dont give a fuck and I have little to no respect for most people around me, thus no need to look good.

also, severe depression.

Drederick Tatum
10-17-2007, 03:30 PM
most Americans are kinda fat, so that's not helping in the fashion stakes.

America has some fashionable people, but they probably all live on the coast. the middle of the US is a Mad Maxian wasteland.

hpdrifter
10-17-2007, 03:30 PM
When I was in Paris not everyone dressed like a fashion plate. Regular people over there seemed to really like track suits and waaay too tight jeans. Stuff that's been out of fashion here for years. Shirts unbuttoned. It was 1997 when I went.

Yosemite is a national park, its for hiking and camping, I'm not gonna wear my $700 chanel boots.

MC Moot
10-17-2007, 03:35 PM
I dress like a slob because I work in a restaurant almost everyday, then go to the bars directly from work. Socially, I dont give a fuck and I have little to no respect for most people around me, thus no need to look good.

also, severe depression.

shades of Charles Bukowski....

Drederick Tatum
10-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Yosemite is a national park, its for hiking and camping, I'm not gonna wear my $700 chanel boots.

yeah, you'd wear your leathers though (http://www.madmaxmovies.com/making/madmax2/images/MundiMundi/WezFaceoff.jpg).

Lyman Zerga
10-17-2007, 03:41 PM
i swear every girl i see (12-20) wears the same fucking shit

sneakers (mainly puma), black, blue or white skinny jeans, white or black retarded jackets with a fake fur (i hope) hood frame, a headband and all have the same fucking haircut

and all the young guys i see here are either hipsters or wiggas

Yeti
10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
I still wear the t-shirt my brother got me at Yosemite.

It says--My brother went to Yosemite National Park and all I got was this t-shirt.

Fashion---Ha!

AceFace
10-17-2007, 04:14 PM
ok i am guilty of the popped collar. i LOVE it. but not on guys. on girls it's like a "i don't give a fuck, i'm a bad ass nurd" thing.

also, i have a ton of leg warmers. i wear them to skate.

ok, these are knee socks, but you get my drift.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/259690622_ff38be08b2.jpg

RobMoney$
10-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Real men don't worry about what other men wear.

Waus
10-17-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm not really worried...just annoyed. I was reminded of it because my brother pointed out that a bunch of tourists in Michigan (what's there to see?) were looking nice and he went closer and noticed the foreign language. Sent me a text.

Auton
10-17-2007, 04:40 PM
americans are slobs and most don't know how to dress themselves

Yeti
10-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Is my Members Only jacket still in style?

RobMoney$
10-17-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm not really worried...just annoyed. I was reminded of it because my brother pointed out that a bunch of tourists in Michigan (what's there to see?) were looking nice and he went closer and noticed the foreign language. Sent me a text.

So he sent you a text to comment on someone's fashion sense?
Pfffffhahaha.

Auton
10-17-2007, 05:06 PM
no, he sent a text saying they were foreign. you're just looking for a reason to make fun of him, aren't you?

insertnamehere
10-17-2007, 06:10 PM
americans are slobs and most don't know how to dress themselves

sadly, this is true of myself. i wish i had some fashion sense. i have just enough to know that im not satisfied at all with my wardrobe, but not enough to actually do anything about it. i try to go shopping and walk around for hours and am like "waaaaah i dont know what to buy" and then go home with nothing. and nice clothes are fuckin expensive. im sorry i get paid $7 hourly i cant buy an article of clothing that costs $100. plus im shaped awkward so nothing looks goon on me.

anyone want to be my fashion consultant? i want to look nice, really.

ericlee
10-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Is my Members Only jacket still in style?

I sure hope so cause if it is, my BUM equipment sweaters, Jamz, and British Knights would still be stylish as well.

RobMoney$
10-17-2007, 06:58 PM
no, he sent a text saying they were foreign. you're just looking for a reason to make fun of him, aren't you?

You're just trying to provoke me, aren't you?

-T-
10-17-2007, 07:14 PM

I live in Michigan and my town is full of tourist all fricken summer. Something about the lake and beautiful beaches and boardwalk. I don't know.

I guess I would not notice the fashion thing given I do not travel much I would have to see some comparisons. I try to be clean and look nice when out but I have more important things to worry about then the latest style.

cosmo105
10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
H & M is probably the best thing to ever happen to my wardrobe.

saz
10-17-2007, 09:17 PM

Honest question.

their ancestors were the romans, who pretty much rule. plus italian and mediterranean women are incredibly hot.

TurdBerglar
10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
plus italian and mediterranean women are incredibly hot.

yes

Yetra Flam
10-17-2007, 09:32 PM
yeah check out all the dark moustaches and fat asses big fuckin noses on the chicks in my family. SOOOO SEXY.

TurdBerglar
10-17-2007, 09:39 PM
well they don't count

AceFace
10-17-2007, 10:38 PM

TRUE that! and i don't even have one here. all my H&M stuff gets mad compliments.

russhie
10-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Australians dress pretty heinously at times.

Someone was bitching about not earning enough money to make themselves look good? I'm a massive local label whore but as long as you dress for your body type, cheaper stuff will look great. It doesn't have to be designerrrrr

Also. Fashion is something you really have to give a shit about if you want to do it really really really well. Having 'effortless' good personal style isn't so easy and it takes a little bit of work.

Drederick Tatum
10-18-2007, 03:27 AM
Having 'effortless' good personal style isn't so easy and it takes a little bit of work.

for guys it's real easy. couple of nice pairs of pants that actually fit, some shirts, a few cool t-shirts, then avoid the sneakers and jeans combo and you're half way there.

Gareth
10-18-2007, 04:05 AM
getting stuff that fits and/or has shape or form is good.

Bob
10-18-2007, 06:56 AM
getting stuff that fits and/or has shape or form is good.

that depends on what your shape/form is though. form-fitting clothes don't look so hot on fat or skinny people. like me, i'm pretty skinny, so i tend to steer away form t-shirts. proper-fitting ones show off my skinnyness and make me self conscious, but if you wear a loose-fitting t-shirt you look dumb too. i like button-down shirts, where a good fit still leaves a little room for the imagination

AceFace
10-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Australians dress pretty heinously at times.

Someone was bitching about not earning enough money to make themselves look good? I'm a massive local label whore but as long as you dress for your body type, cheaper stuff will look great. It doesn't have to be designerrrrr

Also. Fashion is something you really have to give a shit about if you want to do it really really really well. Having 'effortless' good personal style isn't so easy and it takes a little bit of work.
oh i know all of this honey. i'm just saying, the cheaper clothes aren't made to fit voluptuous bootys a lot of times. i REALLY have to do some shopping to find good stuff on my budget... but i DO find good stuff. took a pic of my outfit last night (went out and dressed for success just b/c of this thread). i'll post it later.

MC Moot
10-18-2007, 09:02 AM
That's not American, atleast not here. Euros seem to wear a lot of gray socks with tennis shoes, shorter shorts, mixed up colors, clashing brands(Nike shoes with an Adidas shirt) and shirts tucked in. .

It's standard in Seattle and Portland.....actually pretty much anywhere in Washington or Oregon...it even spread to Vancouver...

MC Moot
10-18-2007, 09:08 AM
For the best fashionable faux pas one should spend some time in Montreal or Quebec City where the women are influenced by Parisian style but turn it into the most gaudy thing you’ve ever seen….it’s highly entertaining….so much effort, such a colorful end result….:D

insertnamehere
10-18-2007, 09:51 AM
I will. Let's start by sending me some nude photos of you so I can get a gooood sense of your body type. Remember, fashion is art, so I need these for um, artistic reasons.

EWWWWWW..... cmute jacks to fat chicks EVERYBODY POINT AND LAUGH!

AceFace
10-18-2007, 09:53 AM
i'm gonna defend him. ain't nothing wrong with some big girls.

Dorothy Wood
10-18-2007, 10:58 AM
fortunately or unfortunately I'm going the way of the ultra-hipsters by basically wearing whatever the fuck I want, even if I look stupid because I'm really bored. I'm wearing a black and white plaid flannel shirt today and light purple skinny jeans. and some quilted brown patent pleather shoes that look like ballet flats crossed with converse. they're neat though, cort doesn't like them.

I do wish I could look more put together than I do. but I am constantly getting dirty riding my bike or at work where I'm rolling around in paint and dust. so what's the point?

I see a lot of people wearing knit/spandex pants that are too tight. I'm pretty tired of seeing asses jiggling and the outlines of vaginas, especially when you can see the vagina from THE BACK.

all the sorority girls wear those, with like a sorority t-shirt and possibly a hoodie that says "PINK" on it. hair up in a pony tail, very tan, lots of make up. usually flip flops, but soon it will get colder and the uggs will come out. BARF. well at least stupid people have a uniform so I know how to avoid them.

MC Moot
10-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I see a lot of people wearing knit/spandex pants that are too tight. I'm pretty tired of seeing asses jiggling and the outlines of vaginas, especially when you can see the vagina from THE BACK..

Goddamn or god bless that American Apparel company....:D

TurdBerglar
10-18-2007, 11:12 AM
i see nothing wrong with those pants

abcdefz
10-18-2007, 11:23 AM
I do wish I could look more put together than I do. but I am constantly getting dirty riding my bike.... so what's the point?

This is one of my few regrets about not having a car.

Even with straps for my cuffs/ankles, one cuff inevitably gets oiled if not chewed up by the chain. I'm not going to go through $100 pants
when their lifespan could be two weeks.

TurdBerglar
10-18-2007, 11:24 AM
wear shorts? use a backpack?

hpdrifter
10-18-2007, 11:26 AM
roll up the pant leg

abcdefz
10-18-2007, 11:28 AM
I've done all those things.

Can't wear shorts year-'round, though. Not here.

beastiegirrl101
10-18-2007, 11:30 AM
I do wish I could look more put together than I do. but I am constantly getting dirty riding my bike or at work where I'm rolling around in paint and dust. so what's the point?

dude you do NOT give yourself enough credit. I like the way you dress....its different and you have a flair for putting random things together and making them look good. I dont think I (or most people) could pull off your "look"

how was the regal beagle?

hpdrifter
10-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I actually wish I was more adventurous with fashion. I love fashion and I think I dress adequately but I wish I could be like those people that work at the MAC counter or live in Captiol Hill. Its hard for me to go really out there with my look.

TurdBerglar
10-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I've done all those things.

Can't wear shorts year-'round, though. Not here.

buy pants strictly for riding?

abcdefz
10-18-2007, 11:50 AM
buy pants strictly for riding?

I have a backpack that gets pretty full. Whatever I pack in, I have to pack out. I start the day off by hopping the bus around 5 a.m. in a
valley. The temperature changes so much between then and when I get off work, which is pretty much at the warmest time of day.
So whatever I'm wearing in the morning, I have to pack back out at the end of the day. Add my lunch tub to that, part of a newspaper
so I have something to read for my 40 minutes on the bus, plus whatever misc. I have (returning DVDs to the store, hauling CDs home, etc.)
and the pack gets pretty full. I can't just keep adding clothes and stuff without moving to full on camping gear or something.

I apprecaite the suggestions, but trust me. I'm not a stupid man. The best solution is to just accept that accidents happen and therefore
not buy expensive pants for work.

TurdBerglar
10-18-2007, 11:52 AM
get those saddle bags that fit over the rear wheel!

abcdefz
10-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Hire a pygmy to follow me on a second bike by day and quiver at my loins by night!

abcdefz
10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm the employer, yo.

Lyman Zerga
10-18-2007, 02:57 PM

child employment FTW!

i also buy many of my clothes and jewelz there

whatever happened to that forever 21 thing?

Lyman Zerga
10-18-2007, 02:59 PM
I see a lot of people wearing knit/spandex pants that are too tight. I'm pretty tired of seeing asses jiggling and the outlines of vaginas, especially when you can see the vagina from THE BACK.

too bad i have no damn clue what you mean

adrockmelanie
10-19-2007, 02:40 AM

Honest question.

i went to italy this summer and the clothes were terrible. i found two pairs of flats and a shirt-- all from asian stores. robby found one shirt. that's it. for some reason everyone in italy thought we were in the future. most of the people our age were all wearing this metallic, spandex crap.

adrockmelanie
10-19-2007, 02:41 AM
i went to italy this summer and the clothes were terrible. i found two pairs of flats and a shirt-- all from asian stores. robby found one shirt. that's it. for some reason everyone in italy thought we were in the future. most of the people our age were all wearing this metallic, spandex crap.

not that we'll wear metallic spandex in the future.. but you know.