PDA

View Full Version : kids and babies and infants

Yetra Flam
10-18-2007, 11:45 PM
is it so wrong of me to find them pretty much intolerable?
i don't even feel one iota of cluckiness towards babies. and people think me some kind of subhuman for not thinking that their baby is the most amazing thing in the world and really not wanting anything to do with it. i've never held one, never wanted to. i feel extremely uneasy and somewhat irritated by them actually.
and sure, miracle of life and all that, but is seriously making a baby all that big a deal? it seems that everyone pretty much does it. why is it looked upon with such awe? and why are you deemed ineffective as a human if you don't produce offspring?
am i a fucking sociopath here? should i adore babies rather than be irked out by them?

TurdBerglar
10-18-2007, 11:52 PM
what do rapists, murderers, and thieves all have in common?

THEY WERE ALL BABIES :mad:

Loppfessor
10-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Babies aren't for everyone.....at least you're smart enough to realize you're not parent material before you shoot out two or three kids and hate them

Yetra Flam
10-19-2007, 12:17 AM
with baby animals it's a completely different story. i love animals.

Loppfessor
10-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Then maybe you should start having sex with your zoo friends and see what happens

roosta
10-19-2007, 02:09 AM
I dunno...yeah, babies arnt anything special. My sisters have tonnes of them and were all expected to sit there and oooh and ahhh at them when they put a pea up their nose. But I dont get it.

Now, when they hit 3 they are good fun. My little nephew is gas, the stuff he comes out with makes me laugh.

hitmonlee
10-19-2007, 02:13 AM
i don't "get" kids. they freak me right the fuck out. strange little humans.

having said that, i am going to be an aunty in 6 months, so it looks like i better start understanding them!

ms.peachy
10-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Mr.peachy had a lot of reservations about babies, even when we were trying to have one. He liked kids well enough, but wasn't so sure about babies. He's over that now. Still though, he enjoys her more now that she is more of a toddler than he did when she was a little baby.

There's nothing wrong in not feeling especially maternal, but I do think sometimes people who have strong negative feelings towards babies/young children are maybe playing out some sort of early-life psychodrama. This is not true in every case I know, but some, I think.

Personally, I was never big into babies before I had one, didn't really have any strong feelings about them - I liked them well enough, but didn't go ga-ga over them. Now that I have one, I really do enjoy them so much more- not just my own, but all of them. I find watching them learning to comprehend and interpret and interact with the world around them fascinating.

For those of who say having a baby is no big deal, anyone can do it, I would say that on a strictly semantic level that may be true. But trust me, if and when you ever have one of your own, you will find out it is a very big deal indeed. You just can't know until you're there.

Auton
10-19-2007, 02:43 AM
i love little chitlins... i miss my neices and baby nephew terribly, and make sure to call the girls at least every two weeks. i love them to bits. i'd love to be a father someday.

Lyman Zerga
10-19-2007, 02:47 AM
ever since i held a baby i knew i wanted one cause it totally woke up my motherish feelings, it was weird cause i never felt intense feelings like that ever before

while my sister hates (loud) babies and kids, mainly cause they get so much attention for doing nothing

i dont know why but i just cant walk by on a baby carriage without looking at the baby, i would even love to touch it but that may a bit creepy i guess

wish i was preggies by now

Lyman Zerga
10-19-2007, 02:52 AM
For those of who say having a baby is no big deal, anyone can do it, I would say that on a strictly semantic level that may be true. But trust me, if and when you ever have one of your own, you will find out it is a very big deal indeed. You just can't know until you're there.

sigh

Auton
10-19-2007, 04:35 AM
i think i can *nnnnnghhhhh* help you out there

Lyman Zerga
10-19-2007, 01:12 PM
i think i can *nnnnnghhhhh* help you out there

me? but dont wonder when our baby looks milk chocolated, thats totally normal :o

hpdrifter
10-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Personally, I was never big into babies before I had one, didn't really have any strong feelings about them - I liked them well enough, but didn't go ga-ga over them. Now that I have one, I really do enjoy them so much more- not just my own, but all of them. I find watching them learning to comprehend and interpret and interact with the world around them fascinating.

I feel the exact same way. My boyfriend has a baby and I've been with him since the baby was about 2 months old. I have loved watching him grow and learn new things. Its so interesting to see him develop.

I confess I am one of those people who sqeals and claps when he like climbs the stairs by himself or says a new word. It looks ridiculous, I know, but I don't care. I just melt when he says "I love you, Snina."

cookiepuss
10-19-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm not a baby lover. I tolerate them and they can be fun for about 15 minutes at a time and then I want their parents to take them away. I have lots of nephews and neices and there are only two that I really enjoyed as babies. I actually think I was much more respondent to babies and kids when i was younger, but as I've gotten older I like them less and less. However people that know me often say they think I would be a good mom. but I think I know myself better...

I rarely get excited over seeing a cute baby, but I'll practically pee myself over a puppy.

MC Moot
10-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Although my field of work is directly related to early childhood development and intervention,I never was in awe of infants until my cousin had her first,I held her and the love was instantly on...it was her being blood that made the difference for me....she's a toddler now and has complete and total control of me when I'm in her prescence.....I've resigned myself to her awesomeness,fully,completley....(y)

Nivvie
10-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Babies I quite like, but I see children the same way I do adults. Some I like, some I don't. Lots I don't.
(Never met a puppy I didn't like.)

Having a baby is physically quite hard, and all that middle of the night business can sap you of all energy, but it's nothing on when they are bigger and far more vulnerable to the world's evil influences and dangers. The single hardest moment of child rearing for us has been whether or not to let her go on a trip without us. Just a Brownie leader and a few helpers to watch over all those vicious, canny, scheming little girls.

There's just so many emotional rollercoasters you are forced to go on. When they get ill. When they disappear, even for a few minutes, it takes years off your life.
A friend of mine's little kid recently wandered into the woods near their home and was missing for over two hours, wandering about lost. Helicopters, police dogs, the whole shebang. They found her happily playing with some fungus. Her parents still seem shaken.

It's one of the attitudes that's really changing these days, allowing people to be childless in peace.
I really think it won't be long before the choice to have not a child is repected as much as the choice to.

fucktopgirl
10-21-2007, 01:03 PM
babies are so fucking cute and awesome!

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
10-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Babies are weird for me. When I was younger I wanted one really badly, and I always talked about the kids i'd have when I got older, and now when I go to Disney and places like that I hear them screaming and see them running around and im like jesus christ. Fuck that.

There were never really babies in my family, because we were the babies, so I never got to experiance them until my cousin had two. I dont so much like them as babies, although I think, and am told, I'd be a good mom, but I perfer them as toddlers.

I am terrfied to bring a child up in this world. I look around and I see how shitty things have gotten and it makes me not want to have any because I know how fucked up they can turn out in the long run. I mean, even if you're in a "good" area, you still need to worry about the same shit as the "bad" areas.. It's just well hidden in some places.

My parents thought they were getting me away from drugs and sex and crime by moving to the country - but it's just as, if not more so, present here. Almost all the kids in my school sleep around and party on the weekend, but parents are so dumb to it. They cant possibly believe thier sweet little child is a whore, or a drug dealer. Now dont get me wrong, im not saying because you have sex or drink or do some drugs it makes you a horrible person, but the way no one gives a shit about themselves around here is just pathetic.

When I lived in Dolton no one gave a shit - half the time it was your parents who gave you the condoms and smoked weed with you.

I think it's weird, the way that I turned out - my mom pretty much let me raise myself. She was never home and I was alone most of the time, so you'd think i'd get myself into all sorts of trouble and do all kinds of stupid shit, but I dont, not bigtrouble anyways. Sure I fuck up every now and again, but im not a crack addict, or pregnant.

I've seen kids who were raised with strict religious parents, given all the love and attention, and everything they've ever asked for - and they've turned out more fucked up then you can imagine.

It's weird for me as far as parenting goes. I think you're better off being upfront and honest with your kids about everything instead of hiding shit from them. I think sheltering them and raising them "right" fucks them up even more so It's really a hard decision isnt it?

Maybe I think too far into these things...

Yetra Flam
10-21-2007, 07:25 PM
hey, here's a question: if i can't get pregnant, how am i supposed to con someone into marrying me?

Helvete
10-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Find someone who doesn't want kids, winner! Wait, do I know you?

Anyway, kids can be great. I was in the airport the other day, and some lady was with her 2 really cute daughters, and they were talking about the plane and shit. The older of the 2 asked if she'd be able to see where the pilot sits, and the mother was like 'it's called the cockpit where the pilot sits'. The little girl burst out laughing, and the mother was like 'what's so funny?' girl was like 'hehe...cock!'.

Yetra Flam
10-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Wait, do I know you?

Definitely

Loppfessor
10-22-2007, 01:27 AM
hey, here's a question: if i can't get pregnant, how am i supposed to con someone into marrying me?

Umm yeah just find a dude who doesn't want kids....there are more and more people out there like that. Worse case scenario just find some dude who had testicular cancer or something and had his balls removed

hpdrifter
10-22-2007, 11:01 AM
I have a friend who doesn't want kids. But he doesn't want to get married either. And he's kind of a dick.

abcdefz
10-22-2007, 11:10 AM
I've known for a long time that I'm way too selfish to be a good parent; I'm just not going to subject a kid to that, and I've never really wavered
on that.

It was sort of confirmed again this weekend. I was at a movie, and this couple had a baby, and, basically, the kid kept fussing, and the dad
would cradle it and slip out of the theater. The guy missed probably a good forty minutes of the movie because he kept (courteously) taking
the child outside.

Now, I know it's a much richer experience to be a good parent than to watch Michael Clayton, but what I kept thinking was, "Man --
there's so much stuff now that the guy probably used to take for granted, enjoying, that he has to sacrifice. How many years before he
gets to just sit through an entire movie again, uninterrupted? Go see a hockey game? Sleep through an entire night?" etc.

MC Moot
10-22-2007, 12:09 PM
It was sort of confirmed again this weekend. I was at a movie, and this couple had a baby, and, basically, the kid kept fussing, and the dad
would cradle it and slip out of the theater. The guy missed probably a good forty minutes of the movie because he kept (courteously) taking
the child outside.

The theatres here have a special night, once a week, for parents with infants/toddlers....(y)

abcdefz
10-22-2007, 12:21 PM
This chain does, too. Or maybe it's an afternoon?

But anyway. Yeah, I don't expect that to work for everyone's schedules.

I was BLOWN AWAY to see how many people were taking their kids in with them to see Lust, Cuation. Huge, huge Chinese turnout, so all
ages of adults were there, which was surprising enough, but a bunch of parents had kids, babies, and toddlers.

I thought NC17 meant no children under 17, period. I guess not.

cookiepuss
10-22-2007, 12:28 PM
The theatres here have a special night, once a week, for parents with infants/toddlers....(y)

in the "old" days many theaters had a glass booth type thingy (usually in a balcony section) for parents with infants/toddlers. I don't know, but my mom says they did and she's kinda old.

abcdefz
10-22-2007, 12:35 PM
in the "old" days many theaters had a glass booth type thingy (usually in a balcony section) for parents with infants/toddlers. I don't know, but my mom says they did and she's kinda old.

You sure she's not thinking of cry rooms in churches?

cookiepuss
10-22-2007, 12:37 PM
no..I doubt it. she was not much of a church goer. apparently there were some theaters around that had cry rooms.

abcdefz
10-22-2007, 12:41 PM
That's very cool. I've never heard of that before. (y)

ms.peachy
10-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Now, I know it's a much richer experience to be a good parent than to watch Michael Clayton, but what I kept thinking was, "Man --
there's so much stuff now that the guy probably used to take for granted, enjoying, that he has to sacrifice. How many years before he
gets to just sit through an entire movie again, uninterrupted? Go see a hockey game? Sleep through an entire night?" etc.

Well, the thing is... there is that side of it, sure. Like I miss when I could just phone a friend in the afternoon and say "Fancy meeting up at the pub after work?" and just hanging out, coming home whenever. Now if I want some time out with a friend, it requires days - possibly weeks - of advance planning. But, I think the advantage of maybe waiting to have kids until you're a little older is, you've kind of done all of that stuff, and yeah you miss it a bit when you have a kid, but you've done it and you realise that what you are getting does, on balance, outweigh what you're missing.

I mean, you still get to go out. Mr.peachy went out with his mates saturday for the rugby final. I babysat last week for another couple who has a sprog Mattie's age; they went to a movie together. I seem to recall going out to not one but two - two! - Beastie Boys shows in one week last month. So it happens, you know, you do get to leave the house and do stuff; you just need to have a bit more forethought about it is all.

In the past week, my daughter has started to wave and yell "bye!" when she sees a plane passing overhead. She brings me my slippers and says "shoes, mummy." She sticks macaroni up her nose, just for the hell of it. She demands to be allowed to brush her teeth at arbitrary times throughout the day. These things might not sound like much, but they are worth an awful lot of lost sleep, believe it or not.

Yeti
10-22-2007, 03:31 PM
I just get my in-laws to stay with my son and I go see movies. My son sleeps from 7 pm to 7 am so my sleep is pretty much the same. I plan to take him to sporting events so that should be fun. Just getting up and going is a problem now that I have a rugrat but being a Dad=responsibility.

I understand what everyone is saying about babies/toddlers/kids because I always used to say---why do I have to go see the baby? They all look like Eisenhower! I now have a 1 year old and I see what all the fuss is about. He is a pistol and gets into everything so he does tire me out. Oh, well, I can deal with it.

hpdrifter
10-23-2007, 10:52 AM
She demands to be allowed to brush her teeth at arbitrary times throughout the day. These things might not sound like much, but they are worth an awful lot of lost sleep, believe it or not.

What is up with that? My boyfriend's 2-year old loves to brush his teeth! He gets very angry when we don't let him do it every hour or so.

I guess it could be worse, its just strange. I don't remember that being a major priority for me when I was a kid.

abcdefz
10-23-2007, 11:01 AM
They're not swallowing the toothpaste, are they?

hpdrifter
10-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I think he is, but its kid toothpaste. He makes the spit motion and noise but nothing comes out of his mouth. I think he just wants to feel like a big boy.

Its very cute.

ms.peachy
10-23-2007, 11:13 AM
They're not swallowing the toothpaste, are they?

Little kid toothpaste is not the same as grown-up toothpaste; it's OK for them to swallow it.

skra75
10-23-2007, 01:56 PM
is it so wrong of me to find them pretty much intolerable?
i don't even feel one iota of cluckiness towards babies. and people think me some kind of subhuman for not thinking that their baby is the most amazing thing in the world and really not wanting anything to do with it. i've never held one, never wanted to. i feel extremely uneasy and somewhat irritated by them actually.
and sure, miracle of life and all that, but is seriously making a baby all that big a deal? it seems that everyone pretty much does it. why is it looked upon with such awe? and why are you deemed ineffective as a human if you don't produce offspring?
am i a fucking sociopath here? should i adore babies rather than be irked out by them?

No, it's perfectly logical to not like Babies. Or Children for that matter. You may just not be a nuturer.

Either you'll understand someday, or you never will. My ex was not a nurturer, some girls/women just aren't built for it. Sorry, I can't relate to you 'dislike kids' people and mostly resent each and every one of you.

We are here to be born, collect knowledge on how to survive happily in our cultures/societies, then pass it onto another generation, then die.
:)

TurdBerglar
10-23-2007, 02:10 PM
people need to stop reproducing. i feel it's entirely immoral to reproduce for the current state of the world. too many god damn people. that's how i feel about babies.

i also find them completely hideous. i don't even really know why. they just look sub-human. underdeveloped and severely malformed mutants. they stop looking like that to me around ages 2-5 depending on the particular kid.

fucking leeches and grandly pointless.

cookiepuss
10-23-2007, 02:54 PM
i also find them completely hideous. i don't even really know why. they just look sub-human. underdeveloped and severely malformed mutants. they stop looking like that to me around ages 2-5 depending on the particular kid.

ok. yes. I too think most babies are ugly. I really do and some people find that offensive. it's not like I would say, "hey your baby is ugly" but I often think it. I only willingly voice my distaste for certain ugly celebrity babies. otherwise I keep my opinion to myself. I have a good friend who has had three babies that were all pretty ugly. they are getting much cuter as they get older thank the lord.

a handful of babies are cute. I've been pretty impressed so far with the pictures of board member's babies floating about. for a random sample of people(parents) who like a particular musical artist, they are a pretty good looking lot of babies. How does that happen exactly?