10-19-2007, 06:08 AM
Should I buy a PS3, Wii or Xbox360??? And why....thanks

Bob
10-19-2007, 07:29 AM
definitely do not get a ps3

ps3's a joke

Rock
10-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Heavenly sword changed the PS3 sucks for me. Pretty fucking sweet. But thats it. If they can keep bringing games like that, then it will be good.

Kid Presentable
10-19-2007, 10:02 AM
PS3 has a small catalogue, of mixed quality. I'm getting one in 2 years. The Wii is getting there on that front (some cool, cool shit not far off) but the 360 has them at the moment. Like any established console, it's got a wide variety in many genres. That would probably meet your needs best.

Rationally, the best bet for sheer volume of games would just be a ps2. Cheap, and some real quality shit available.

Tone Capone
10-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Should I buy a PS3, Wii or Xbox360??? And why....thanks

Remember in Korea when you didn't have an XBOX and the vegetarians went crazy when we let them know that?

hpdrifter
10-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Is a PS3 really worth as much as it costs?

I like the Wii. And its the cheapest.

Rock
10-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Is a PS3 really worth as much as it costs?

not at all.

Lyman Zerga
10-19-2007, 03:07 PM
never played any of those bitches but i would go with the wii

Yorkshire~Rose
10-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Not that i'm a huge gamer or anything but my hubby is and we have all three. He rarely plays the PS3 which really annoys me as it cost a fair penny. The Wii is our 'social' console - more for when friends/family are round as nothing beats the hilarity of watching my mum on Wii sports when she's had a few. The XBOX 360 gets some hammer in our house so i'd go for that one.

Rock
10-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Not that i'm a huge gamer or anything but my wifey is and we have all three. She rarely plays the PS3 which really annoys me as it cost a fair penny. The Wii is our 'social' console - more for when friends/family are round as nothing beats the hilarity of watching my mum-in-law on Wii sports when she's had a few. The XBOX 360 gets some hammer in our house so i'd go for that one..

Yorkshire~Rose
10-19-2007, 03:31 PM
^ Do i detect another console widow(er) :D

Bob
10-19-2007, 05:21 PM

that's a really concise and excellent summary of the three, actually.

ps3 -- overpriced joke with no games because nobody's buying the console...even gta4 is going to xbox360 at launch (traditionally it went to ps2 only, xbox got versions later on, now both consoles are getting it at the same time

wii -- cheap and innovative and popular at parties but not really a competitor

xbox360 -- your standard next generation console with a nice catalog of games

so yeah, 360 is probably the safest one to get.

i have no real frame of reference though, i don't own any of them.

TurdBerglar
10-19-2007, 08:43 PM
only get a ps3 if considering getting a blue ray player. i don't know about now but when ps3 came out, standard blue ray players cost more than a ps3. the ps3 is basically a kick ass blue ray player plus a game console. you're actually getting a pretty kick ass deal considering.

Loppfessor
10-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Remember in Korea when you didn't have an XBOX and the vegetarians went crazy when we let them know that?

I've spet many years trying to forget that actually!

Meanwhile I'd pretty much ruled out the PS3 cus the bulk of the people say its not worth the moolah. I like the social aspect of the wii cus that's probably the most likely use I'm going to have for a console. I already own a PS2 and the only game I play is Madden. I never even considered a 360 until I saw how awesome Madden looked on it. Perhaps I'll start with the 360 and go from there. Are wiis really hard to find in the states right now?

vickista
10-20-2007, 12:00 AM
ps3.

why?

Blue ray.

'nuff said.

Loppfessor
10-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Just for the record I don't give a shit about blue ray...

vickista
10-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Just for the record I don't give a shit about blue ray...

then perhaps u should.

Loppfessor
10-20-2007, 12:20 AM
then perhaps u should.

Fine then....sell me on it, why should I care bout this product? How is it going to make my life better?

vickista
10-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Fine then....sell me on it, why should I care bout this product? How is it going to make my life better?

i didnt say it would make you're life better, but if you're going to spend your money on a games console u may as well spend it on the best, blue ray is has the best definition why wouldn't you at least consider it.

Bob
10-20-2007, 01:04 AM
yeah man, blu ray is great...it's like...have you ever seen a DVD? have you ever seen a DVD...ON WEED??????

lol no but seriously never buy a ps3

if money is no object, an xbox360 is a safe buy. it's still a good social console, i mean it's got plenty of multiplayer games (madden, halo 3, probably other things too). it's not as clever as the wii, but it's still probably the best console to have right now

Loppfessor
10-20-2007, 01:11 AM
i didnt say it would make you're life better, but if you're going to spend your money on a games console u may as well spend it on the best, blue ray is has the best definition why wouldn't you at least consider it.

Why would I consider a product that doesn't interest me and from what you've said doesn't really benefit me all that much? The video quality on my regular ass DVDs suits me just fine right now. For five or six hundred bucks a product damn well better improve my life in some way...

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Get an Xbox 360 and a Wii....the PS3 is really struggling right now. I just read a news story about Sony pleading with 3rd parties to stay....everyone is jumping ship. The 360 has gotten some killer games as of late, and it looks to get quite a few more. Meanwhile the Wii is going to have an all-star next 6 months in terms of upcoming games.

Kid Presentable
10-20-2007, 03:12 AM
It seems like Sony is trying to drip-feed the marketplace with games as they did with the last 2 playstations. It's not happening this time, though.

silence7
10-20-2007, 04:10 AM
I've got a 360, and I've been very happy with it and especially their XBOX Live service. If you're into playing games online then you cannot beat LIVE.

Tons of XBOX Live arcade games for a few bucks a pop, you can download movies and tv shows. TV shows are like $1.50 an episode, while movies are I think $3.00

As far as the BlueRay in the PS3 having the "best definition" it has nothing to do with the medium being used in the machine, HD-DVD, DVD, BlueRay, it's the machine's capabilities that count, not what kind of disc it is.

Initial 360's would only show 1080i, the PS3 would show 1080p, which is negligibly nicer. The new 360's include an HDMI port that outputs 1080p just like the PS3, so it's a moot point now.

I have a 32" LCD that will only show 1080i, and it looks sharper on there than my lcd monitor does. If you have a regular TV, you'll see "regular" resolution on either machine.

It really comes down to what games you want to play, Currently I'm playing The Orange Box (Half Life), Bioshock, Oblivion, and Halo 3, but there are a ton of games right now available for the 360.

If I were you, I'd hit up some gaming sites, check out the games for all three next gen systems, then hit up a site like Gametrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/) or even YouTube and take a look at the games in action.

All three systems will have a virtual shitload of new games by this time next year.

I can also testify that the Wii is a blast to play with friends, but I also have friends that only play it with friends. While not having friends over they play on their 360's.

Good Luck on your quest for the ultimage gaming rig.

KingSpanner
10-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Don't get a ps3, i had to say it too. I worked for a game developer and we, like everyone else, didn't even want to touch it.

camo
10-22-2007, 06:07 AM
ps3 - blue ray (bigger games), I prefer the control pad - plus dualshock three is out soon (with the rumble feature). Also once the developers get their heads round the ps3 programing software the quality of the games are sure to get better. Remember how rubbish (well not very impressive) the xbox 360 launch games where? Well the Ps3 lauch games where of a better quality in my opinion and so things can only get better

Planetary
10-22-2007, 06:19 AM
ps3 - blue ray (bigger games), I prefer the control pad - plus dualshock three is out soon (with the rumble feature). Also once the developers get their heads round the ps3 programing software the quality of the games are sure to get better. Remember how rubbish (well not very impressive) the xbox 360 launch games where? Well the Ps3 lauch games where of a better quality in my opinion and so things can only get better

lol that's complete bullshit. what ps3 launch games? and yeah the controllers are cool but the sixasis function is a piece of shit and waste of money, the 360 controllers are easy to get used to, the online mode of 360 is way better, the games at the moment are more fun, and ps3 is considerably more expensive just because of a blu ray player, which doesnt really seem worth the money. ps2 killed it but ps3 is a letdown.

get a 360

Helvete
10-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Get the 360, there are literally dozens of good games out for it, and it's cheap now, and so are many of the good games. PS3 may take another year before it's worth getting. Wii is okay, quite a few fun games, but for more gaming time and quality games, get the 360.

camo
10-22-2007, 09:44 AM
lol that's complete bullshit. what ps3 launch games? and yeah the controllers are cool but the sixasis function is a piece of shit and waste of money, the 360 controllers are easy to get used to, the online mode of 360 is way better, the games at the moment are more fun, and ps3 is considerably more expensive just because of a blu ray player, which doesnt really seem worth the money. ps2 killed it but ps3 is a letdown.

get a 360

"Exclusive, thrilling racing games like Project Gotham Racing 3, sports games that hit hard with high-definition graphics and sound like Madden NFL 2006 and NBA 2K6, immersive action-adventure games like Kameo: Elements of Power, and intense action exclusives like Call of Duty 2 will all contribute to the broadest and deepest retail launch lineup in console history." -Microsoft oh and that perfect dark shooter, and king kong too? I think.

PGR 3 good, the rest ok.

The PS3 had:Resistance: Fall of Man,Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom,Genji: Days of the Blade, NBA 07,
Call of Duty 3, Ridge Racer 7,Fight Night Round 3,Madden NFL 2007,Marvel Ultimate Alliance,Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire,NBA 2k7,
Need for Speed: Carbon,NHL 2k7,Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07.Tony Hawk's Project 8, Motorstorm - sure a few turkeys but a stronger start in my opinion.

Games coming this November (uk) look great.

Plus Playstation home looks awesome.

Kid Presentable
10-22-2007, 09:51 AM
More than 80% of what you listed is on both systems.

Edite (lole): Even if my numbers are a little off, what's the point of comparing their intro catalogues? Look at where they're each at now (including the wii). I'll give the PS3 time. When it comes time to make the next step in sequels (like being able to snap boards, and move obstacles in skate 2 for example) maybe the PS3 will come right. The 360 will expend its potential sooner, for sure. but that's assuming the PS3 doesn't fall on it's face. I'd be extremely surprised in Sony allowed it to.

camo
10-22-2007, 09:58 AM
More than 80% of what you listed is on both systems.

not at launch though dude

Kid Presentable
10-22-2007, 10:18 AM
not at launch though dude

The 360s launch is completely irrelevant now, though. It's got market share. Sony is playing catch-up, and releasing a lot of pretty games with little new to offer. The best games on PS3 I gather are the ones available on both systems, and when those franchises ask more and more of sequels, I think the PS3 might gain the edge. I haven't heard a lot of great things about the crop of launch titles at present.

To be genuinely next-gen, there has to be a change in the way games are developed and played. Not just better graphics. I maintain that the 360 is generation 2.5, whereby it has great looking games that offer very little real innovation. Same with PS3. If something like Gears of War were truly next gen, you'd be able to interact with every part of your environment, moving and reshaping the world according to its unique constraints. Instead, you're in a world (which looks good) whereby you act upon it, not with it. But the same goes for Sony's output of late. Warhawk maybe doing something to address this, but its success comes from a fairly bland environment (easy to manipulate) and solid multiplayer.

If no games manage to truly define next-gen, I think this generation will be remembered for horsepower that delivered very little. Until you're given a new way of thinking about gaming, it's still the same old stuff. That's why the wii is so promising. I'll cop one when Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros drop, probably.

camo
10-22-2007, 10:31 AM
The 360s launch is completely irrelevant now, though. It's got market share. Sony is playing catch-up, and releasing a lot of pretty games with little new to offer. The best games on PS3 I gather are the ones available on both systems, and when those franchises ask more and more of sequels, I think the PS3 might gain the edge. I haven't heard a lot of great things about the crop of launch titles at present.

To be genuinely next-gen, there has to be a change in the way games are developed and played. Not just better graphics. I maintain that the 360 is generation 2.5, whereby it has great looking games that offer very little real innovation. Same with PS3. If something like Gears of War were truly next gen, you'd be able to interact with every part of your environment, moving and reshaping the world according to its unique constraints. Instead, you're in a world (which looks good) whereby you act upon it, not with it. But the same goes for Sony's output of late. Warhawk maybe doing something to address this, but its success comes from a fairly bland environment (easy to manipulate) and solid multiplayer.

If no games manage to truly define next-gen, I think this generation will be remembered for horsepower that delivered very little. Until you're given a new way of thinking about gaming, it's still the same old stuff. That's why the wii is so promising. I'll cop one when Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros drop, probably.

true dat, but developers need time to reach that level, I just meant that (time contstraints aside) sonys lauch was quite an impressive leap pad with some titles hinting towards a bright future. Remember how shite the bouncer was at ps2 launch? Look at the GOW2 in comparison. I know this is purely focusing on graphical output but I'm sure this is the generation where develpoers will try and push the innovation envelope as well as graphics. I get my enjoyment out of gaming now from narrative, I don't have time to be a hardcore gamer anymore. I bought my PS3 because I thought that the bigger capacity on blu ray would mean bigger games and more story to pad out titles with.

I am envious of walking into game and seeing the choice a 360 gamer has for sure, but I'm quite aware of what that huge black box in the front room is capable of and what pleasure I'll get from it in the near future.

Oblivion is keeping me happy at the mo

Kid Presentable
10-22-2007, 10:34 AM
I hear the narrative thing, for sure. Plus, the guys who did Shadow of the Colossus have something cooking for PS3.

Jitters
10-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Judging solely on game selection, get a 360.

The Wii has a growing amount of great games and it's only going to get better in the next few months but the 360 has an advantage just because of the head start it had.

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I hear the narrative thing, for sure. Plus, the guys who did Shadow of the Colossus have something cooking for PS3.

That game will be a system seller in my eyes. Fumito Ueda and team Ico are certified genius' if you ask me...I can't give them enough praise. When that game comes out, and only then, I will pick up a PS3.

Resistance looks decent too.

Parkey
10-22-2007, 03:46 PM
360 - it's a no brainer. Wii are ace, but (as Yorkshire Rose said) centre on social gaming. PS3 is a proper shambles. 360 has great games and LIVE is the bollocks...

Bioshock
Viva Pinata
Mass Effect
Halo 3
PGR
Skate
Blue Dragon
Crackdown
Gears of War
Kameo

Done!

Yetra Flam
10-22-2007, 09:48 PM
The Wii is relatively cheap so you get it as well as the xbox or ps3. I think that's the point of it. There aren't all that many games for it though.

Miho
10-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Well, me- I own all 3 next-gen consoles, but I'm a hardcore gamer and I buy everything regardless. Not to say I'm a game junkie these days, I buy them like someone would buy clothes and other obsessive purchases. As for what to buy, if you're on a budget, go with a 360 and Wii.

I don't know if you like playing handheld game machines, but get a DS and PSP as well. There are a lot of fun games on both of them, and PSP isn't really struggling as a lot of people would have you believe. Sure, if you compare it to the DS, then the difference in popularity is obvious. But it's the only handheld that has been able to compete with a Nintendo handheld, so that's a good enough thing to boast about.

Don't get a ps3, i had to say it too. I worked for a game developer and we, like everyone else, didn't even want to touch it.

I'm intrigued to know which game developer you worked for, if you're allowed to say. PS3 is supposed to be very difficult and frustrating to develop games on, just as the PS2 was, but this time it's 10x worse.

Documad
10-22-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm not a gamer, but doesn't it matter what kind of games you want to play? I haven't touched my wii in months, but I thought it was fun for a while. Has anyone tried DDR on wii yet?

I'm interested in what's going to happen with blu ray. I suspect that Sony won't lose another big format battle, even if they have to give the players away. So I've got to think that the PS3 is coming down in price.

I love my little DS lite. :) Even if I'm still embarrassed to play with it in public. :o

Yetra Flam
10-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah the DS is the only one i have left now. Playing zelda phantom hourglass.

Miho
10-22-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm not a gamer, but doesn't it matter what kind of games you want to play?

Oh sure. That is the current issue with Wii. It's being saturated with a compilation of mini-games packaged together on single discs, and many people gobble them up. I'm not going to dispute whether this is good or bad for gamers. It has its pros and cons- pro is it's good that more people are being exposed to video games, and the theory goes that they'll explore harder games from different genres, like action, FPS, and RPGs. The con is that because these mini-games are so popular and being sold unbelievably well with the mainstream crowd, it is making developers not want to bother creating original games that make interesting usage of the motion sensing controls- recently, I read an article that Japanese third-party developers, who wished to remain anonymous, expressed concern about when/if Wii's bubble will pop. (ie their hype wave will die down)

I think we all need to wait and see a little bit longer. I'm still not sold that Wii is another repeat of the GameCube and N64, respectively. I say give it another year, and if they're still in the same shitty situation, I give up on Nintendo on giving me what I want from them.

Documad
10-22-2007, 10:17 PM
I spend about 5 hours on Hotel Dusk this weekend. It's very talky but I'm determined to get to the bottom of the case!

Documad
10-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Playing zelda phantom hourglass.

How is it?

Yetra Flam
10-22-2007, 10:22 PM
How is it?

it's okaaaaay. it's good. but kind of repetitive and frustrating. i have a really short attention span.

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Both the DS and Wii are getting tons of shite games currently...but as an article I read recently pointed out, crap games are signs of a healthy system. And even if 3 out of every 4 Wii games blow...as long as that 4th one is a Resident Evil 4 or a Metroid Prime 3, then i'm fine.

Loppfessor
10-23-2007, 01:31 AM
I'M SO CONFUSED!!!

camo
10-23-2007, 02:12 AM

I remeber ages ago hearing that they were doing a hi res version of colossus but something new would be totally awesome!!!!

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-23-2007, 03:08 AM
I'M SO CONFUSED!!!

Wii and 360 mang.

Loppfessor
10-23-2007, 03:27 AM
I was just kidding...I'm really not confused. I figure I'll get the 360 but my homeboy here is saying I need to get the ultiminate edition or something...it's black and already comes with a hard drive and the other crap I need to get on line...is that correct?

Meanwhile is there really going to be a wii shortage this holiday season?

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-23-2007, 04:13 AM
I was just kidding...I'm really not confused. I figure I'll get the 360 but my homeboy here is saying I need to get the ultiminate edition or something...it's black and already comes with a hard drive and the other crap I need to get on line...is that correct?

Yeah...that's the "Elite". If you've got the funds, definitely go with that. The extra space is nice, and unlike the white 360, this one doesn't look like a tampon.

Meanwhile is there really going to be a wii shortage this holiday season?

Indeed there will be. Nintendo has even come out and said it...my advice is to call around and find out the days the shipments come in.

Loppfessor
10-23-2007, 04:21 AM
Indeed there will be. Nintendo has even come out and said it...my advice is to call around and find out the days the shipments come in.

Nah man they're all over here, I'm bout to get rich on e-bay sellin them bitches!

vickista
10-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Why would I consider a product that doesn't interest me and from what you've said doesn't really benefit me all that much? The video quality on my regular ass DVDs suits me just fine right now. For five or six hundred bucks a product damn well better improve my life in some way...

so much hostility.

dont care about definition and quality, just dont get it fuckface,

go for the goddamn Wii or something else, you asked for it, i suggested it, if you dont like it rule it out and move on.

so much anger over a damn games console.

Loppfessor
10-24-2007, 01:13 AM
^You’re right! I’m totally pissed. I’m going to have to buy new clothes now cus I became so enraged I transformed like the incredible hulk and ripped them all….so angry!!:mad:

vickista
10-24-2007, 01:16 AM
^You’re right! I’m totally pissed. I’m going to have to buy new clothes now cus I became so enraged I transformed like the incredible hulk and ripped them all….so angry!!:mad:

that was very amusing :\

i wanted to say that earlier but i havent been on for a few days.

just dont be such a tool for no reason.

Loppfessor
10-24-2007, 01:28 AM
^You wanted to say what? That you became enraged as well and ripped your clothes??.....Are you mad that I won't be purchasing a PS3?