PDA

View Full Version : workin on my fitness

insertnamehere
10-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Whats a good number of calories to eat daily to lose weight? Assume a sedentary lifestyle and normally being a huge glutton. I want to eat a lot less, but not so much less that my metabolism shuts off or I suffer any negative consequences. I know the general formula for weight loss is to burn more than you consume, but I know that eating too few is bad.

The day before yesterday I ran up and down the stairs to my building a few times and I just got back from the gym. Phew!

In the last year I've gained about 20 lbs net. I lost some over the summer while I was sick but gained it all back. It's not very attractive at all. I need to do something about that.

Also before I get a lecture, I know crazy low cal diets aren't the best way to go about it, but I feel like if I can lose a few pounds it will get me motivated to work harder, and I'm used to eating so goddamn much right now I need to shrink my stomach a bit and get used to eating less so that I'm more easily satiated.

HEIRESS
10-19-2007, 05:49 PM
I hate feeling hungry, and I like eating what I want within reason. so I find the best solution to dropping a few is to eat better in general
you can consume the same number of calories with a bag a chips as you can with a whole plateful of veggies and lord knows you will still be hungry after the chips.
so its all about choices really

Drink more tea/water
it will fill you up

and if you want a really filling tea then use splenda to sweeten and skim milk to make it seem richer
same with coffee. I probably dropped 5 pounds easily just by cutting out the sugar I used to add to my hot drinks.
yadda yadda yadda sugar substitutes are the devil, but I cant be a total health nut so I tell myself its ok if I use it. plus I hate the after taste of stevia extract otherwise Id use it in everything instead.

buy anyways, sucking back some tea is the best way to cure hunger pangs
There is also hoodia tea, which apparently africans used to stave off hunger during drought periods or on long hunts so that might be worth a try
its fucking expensive though, here in canada anyways.

If I get home late I replace dinner with a fruit smoothie
made purely from fat free no flavour yoghurt, frozen fruit, a banana and some protein powder
dont buy the flavoured yoghurts because the extra calories added for the taste add really nothing to the flavour of your smoothie, so why even bother

This shit is killer too for adding to smoothies
http://www.livepurehealth.ca/store/product.php?productid=16588

do you have any places like Booster/Jamba/Jugo juice or whatever near you? they arent quite as healthy as making smoothies at home. but its way better picking up a smoothy as a quick lunch rather than some fast food.
and the motherfuckers fill you up.

and eat breakfast. always always always eat breakfast.

insertnamehere
10-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Yeah ive been drinking lots more water lately. Actually, I normally drink nothing but soda and sweet iced tea, and the past couple of days I've had only water, and today I tried to drink some unsweet tea but it tasted like poo and just made me want sweet even more.

I'll still have to allow myself an occasional coke, cause i love it sooooo much. But it definetly doesnt need to be a daily habit. Just cutting out sodas by itself should help me lose weight, as well as going to the gym (whereas I normally get no physical activity)

And just eating less in general. I eat way the fuck toooooo much. But I figure a short period of seriously watching my caloric intake will help start the process. I'm just worried about not eating enough and having my body go "oh noes we're starving" and go and try to save all it's fat.

DandyFop
10-19-2007, 06:55 PM
I heard of this great website through SS, www.sparkpeople.com - lots of good info on excercising, food, blah blah, all for free. Go there to see what you should aim for.

Dorothy Wood
10-19-2007, 07:08 PM
hey, lipton makes this iced tea PureLeaf. and they have unsweetened black iced tea that is actually pretty refreshing. I love coca cola and mountain dew, but I've been trying to cut down and that stuff is the only no calorie drink I feel satisfies me. also, soda water with lemons is pretty good.

Bob
10-19-2007, 07:24 PM
i used to drink a ton of soda and i used to hate water, but now water is just about all i drink. i don't know, you just have to drink it till you learn to love it guess. buy a filter or something, those things are great

insertnamehere
10-19-2007, 07:29 PM
yeah my roommate has a filter pitcher thing ive been using. otherwise, the bathroom sinks here are too scary to drink out of.

it certainly doesnt help that my two best friends arent exactly supportive. well, one is indifferent (and is dating the other and therefore wont voice her positive opinions about weight loss) and the other is very much anti-watch what you eat and be physically active. i dont know what his problem is. best i can figure is that he's insecure and tries to hide it by acting like he doesnt care. but he talks so much shit about people that go to the gym and stuff... i feel like i have to keep it a secret. i feel like eventually this is gonna lead to a problem, cause i know we'll go out and to eat and he'll heckle me about not finishing whats on my plate and eventually get on my nerves so much that i call him out on bein' a fatty.

golly im hungry :-(

*drinks more water*

TurdBerglar
10-19-2007, 08:46 PM
i don't really like the idea of diets unless you're really overweight. just get more exercise and don't eat at night. most people get barely any exercise.

Bob
10-19-2007, 08:53 PM
i don't really like the idea of diets unless you're really overweight. just get more exercise and don't eat at night. most people get barely any exercise.

that's pretty much it, yeah. it's calories in vs. calories out and if you have more out than you do in, you'll lose weight, but if you don't exercise, you don't really have any calories out so you're just kidding yourself if you think you aren't gonna get fat. i think joel had some thread a while back about how some disgusting percentage of americans are completely sedentary. i mean a healthy diet is a very important thing but it's only one piece of the puzzle, you have to exercise too.

tracky
10-19-2007, 09:01 PM
what constitutes sedentary? Are we talking not working and sitting on the couch all day? Or someone who works but just drives to work, sits around at work, then drives home and sits around at home? i'm not sure how sedentary my life is, I mean I walk to the bus stops and at work I'm never sitting down for more than 10 minutes. I don't really do any exercise, maybe once a week I'll just do some stretching and aerobics for an hour. like a few push up and sit ups. I still don't feel like I get enough tho and if you asked me I'd say I live a sedentary life. I don't play any sports or anything like that, and spend most of the time at home on the couch

TurdBerglar
10-19-2007, 09:06 PM
me and this other guy and my boss at work always get these really large meals on our lunch breaks and we're always questioned on how the hell we can stay so slim. one of my answers is that i rode 4 miles on my bike to work and another 4 miles later heading home is waiting for me and i spent about 4 hours on my bike the day before and the other guy's answer is that he spent 2 hours at the gym before work and played basket ball all day the previous day and my boss' anwer is that all three of his kids play soccer on seperate teams and he's the coach of two of them. the people just look at us like we're crazy.

TurdBerglar
10-19-2007, 09:11 PM
it seems the last time most people have any regular exercise is hs gym class. especially for females.

Bob
10-19-2007, 09:20 PM
what constitutes sedentary? Are we talking not working and sitting on the couch all day? Or someone who works but just drives to work, sits around at work, then drives home and sits around at home? i'm not sure how sedentary my life is, I mean I walk to the bus stops and at work I'm never sitting down for more than 10 minutes. I don't really do any exercise, maybe once a week I'll just do some stretching and aerobics for an hour. like a few push up and sit ups. I still don't feel like I get enough tho and if you asked me I'd say I live a sedentary life. I don't play any sports or anything like that, and spend most of the time at home on the couch

in my mind, "sedentary" means you wake up, drive to work at your office job, spend 8 hours on your ass, drive home, and spend the rest of the day on your ass too

but the technical definition is probably a little broader than that. but i've been told that even walking 45 minutes a day makes at least a little difference, so i suppose if you spend the whole day on your feet you're not doing too bad.

lately i've been feeling like a lump because i've stopped going to the gym. i hate going there when it's crowded because the free weight room only has 3 places where you can do squats (which are central to my routine, i do them every time i go), and they're always the first places to fill up. usually with some jerk-off who's doing curls, which is the most inappropriate exercise you can ever do in a power cage/squat rack but i digress

anyway there are only a few times during the day when it's not crowded; early morning, 10 am, 2 pm (when the undergrads have class, it's a college gym), and late in the evening (like, after 10). i'm currently working 9-5, and the gym's about 30 minutes away by bus, so i definitely can't go at night, i'd never get enough sleep that way. i keep "trying" to go in the morning but so far i haven't been able to do it once, i don't know how i could do it regularly. and as for 10 and 2, well, that's in the middle of the day, and technically i have flex time at work, so it's ok to leave for 2.5 hours in the middle of the day so long as i make them up so where, but fuck, it's a pain in the ass. i'd rather be fat than manage that schedule.

i dunno. i only have 3 weeks left here, then classes start up again, and all i have to do is go across the street in the afternoon, i'm thinking of just allowing myself to slip until then

HEIRESS
10-19-2007, 10:35 PM
I get off a stop early in the morning. so I get a 20 minute walk in

I go for a walk with a coworker at lunchtime. so thats another 30 minutes.

I walk to my bustop and go a stop further. another 20 minutes

then I come home and usually go the gym and do about 20 minutes of weights and 20-30 minutes of cardio (bike/stairs/walk at an lincline/run)

and if I need groceries then I walk 20 minutes downtown. and then heft back a bag of groceries on my back 20 minutes back (somewhat uphill this time)

so on some days I get over two hours of pure cardiovascular excercise plus whatever weights I do. and most times I dont just sit at home and watch tv I just chill on the floor and do some situps etc etc

I technically should weigh about 20 pounds less than I do but I reaaaaaaallly like food and I make sure I eat healthy but I never limit myself truly so I stay just meh size I am now.
I only exercise so much because my body can slip so easily from the "womanly" category into the "ehhh..." one.

I always date guys who are very into physical fitness though, and I suppose they've always considered me fit too because most dudes like that dont date couch potatoes.
hermits yes.
couch potatoes no.

anyways, moral of the story, I will never beat turd in a bike race. ever.

vickista
10-19-2007, 10:50 PM
sit ups

insertnamehere
10-19-2007, 11:30 PM
i generally never exercise. i hate it, and i dont understand how some people can do so much of it every day and not be miserable. but i want to stop being so disgustingly large, so, eh. i gotta. it's just so... unplesent, and time consuming. like oh now im going to take an hour out of my day to feel like crap on purpose. today i walked (15 minutesish?) to the gym, did the eliptical thing for 35 mins, the display thing told me that was 373 calories, and then walked back. now my legs hurt and im gonna be standing at work for 9.5 hours tomorrow and i know it's gonna suck balls.

i shoudlnt be allowed to reproduce. i think im a detriment to the human gene pool. two flights of stairs gets me out of breath.

TurdBerglar
10-19-2007, 11:41 PM
you just gotta find an activity that's fun

HEIRESS
10-19-2007, 11:42 PM
give a couple weeks and you will start feeling the opposite

if you end up not exercising a day, or a few in a row you will feel like absolute crap and totally miserable.

exercise is like a drug and it gets addicting.

I try to do the least amount of my exercising within the confines of the gym. I just like it for certain weight training aspects and as a way of forcing myself to just do that little bit extra.
you just need to find ways to fit exercise (whether its walking places etc) into your daily routines without it being to all encompassing.

TurdBerglar
10-19-2007, 11:46 PM
what i can't understand is when people pay money for a gym membership and use stationary bikes and treadmills. fucking go outside and run or by a shitty bike at a tagsale. how fun can it be to just be there staring at a wall? now getting a gym membership to use the weight machines or the pool i can understand. BUT NOT TO RUN/RIDE IN PLACE! that would drive me insane.

Loppfessor
10-19-2007, 11:49 PM
You're not going to lose a lot of weight by just "dieting" it's combination of eating a proper diet (not being on a "diet") and exercise. If you want to lose weight though you should eat 6 times a day, 3 healthy meals and 3 healthy snacks. That actually gives your metabolism a boost and makes it work harder. Also allow yourself an eat what you want day where you grab some pizza or chicken wings or whatever your favorite junk food happens to be. That way you don't feel like you're denying yourself anything. Moderation is the key when it comes to eating healthy. You can eat whatever you want just not however much you want everyday

HEIRESS
10-20-2007, 12:15 AM
what i can't understand is when people pay money for a gym membership and use stationary bikes and treadmills. fucking go outside and run or by a shitty bike at a tagsale. how fun can it be to just be there staring at a wall? now getting a gym membership to use the weight machines or the pool i can understand. BUT NOT TO RUN/RIDE IN PLACE! that would drive me insane.

fair enough in the summer.
but sometimes going for a walk or a nice bikeride outside is the last thing on my mind when its its -20 and there's half a foot of snow on the ground for 2-4 months of the year.

cosmo105
10-20-2007, 12:22 AM
long, rambling pre-dietitian post alert:

don't feel like you have to work out because you need to lose weight. you'll just hate it. like someone said, find an activity you enjoy. i love riding my bike and swimming, so i do those instead of punishing my ass on a treadmill or something inside a sweaty gym for an hour. i'd never go back to that.

there's some good advice in here. first and foremost:

give. up. soda. while there's really no such thing as "bad foods," this is one of the worst for you in the sense that people drink it like it's water. think of it as candy. there's something like 8-13 teaspoons of sugar in a single soda. go ahead, measure out that much of something, anything - flour, sugar, what have you. in each soda. that and caramel color. i'll have a root beer occasionally because i love the stuff, but at the same time i limit it because i know it's basically candy.

eat as little processed food as possible. i'm talking fresh fruits and veggies, duh. if it has a label, it's not nutrient-dense. go for nutrient-dense and not calorie-dense, which means it has the most nutrients per amount of food while having lower calories (for example, a candy bar or even a "protein bar" weighing 100 grams or so is going to have several hundred calories, whereas a snack of veggies and fruit and yogurt and even a few crackers will have the same number of calories, yet be a lot more food and keep you much more satisfied).

however much water you're drinking now, it's not enough. and try green tea (jasmine green is my favorite) for a change.

don't let yourself go hungry or starve yourself. "dieting" is one of the worst things you can do for your body - whatever weight you might lose, you'll gain it all back and then some. you're more likely to binge and overeat because you feel deprived. instead, keep healthy snacks on hand (it really takes only a tiny bit of effort, way less than starving yourself) so you don't just reach for whatever processed bag of crap is cheap and available. and feel free to treat yourself, because having a healthy attitude about food is much more beneficial than constant dieting and loathing your body.

i spent years hating how i looked and obsessing in the mirror. i won't lie and say i don't spend time in the mirror anymore, but i can honestly say now that i accept my body more completely than ever - not because of its shape, but because i'm comfortable with myself. and what's important now is i respect myself, and listen to what my body needs, and it just happens to be a nice side effect that i'm in better shape than i was in high school and look slammin'.

the point here is that you shouldn't starve yourself, nor deprive yourself. and again, don't work out to lose weight - get active to be healthy because that's what's important. i rarely have time anymore to get as much activity in as i like these days, but believe me, i used to be the biggest couch potato in the world. one day i got sick of complaining to myself about how i looked and felt and got up and did something about it. and you know, it felt good to work out. it felt good to sweat, and to feel the rush of the wind as i rode my bike. i looked forward to it and i made time for it. since i can't always do that these days, i always take the stairs or park farther away just so i can get my blood pumping a little because it feels good. and that's what really matters, isn't it?

couple other tips:

-make at LEAST half of your grains whole. this means not bleached flour, not white rice, etc. you get hooked on the stuff! way longer burning carbs, so you don't crash after a little while. and the fiber keeps things moving swiftly, which is really essential for any sort of weight loss program.

-watch out for fruit juice. it's a great alternative to soda of course, but most people don't realize that it's got a ton of calories from sugar in it. a serving's about 4 ounces, depending on the juice.

-slow down when you're eating, and pay attention. if you feel like you need seconds, go for it! but take time to listen to your body and think, am i really hungry right now, or am i just bored?

-if you think you might be hungry and you just ate, try drinking some water. sometimes the signals get confused and you're actually just thirsty. get a big refillable water bottle and never let it leave your side. just sip all day.

-start cooking your own food. cannot stress this enough. i love cooking because it's kind of a stress reliever for me. when you cook it, you know exactly what's in it, and you savor it much more.

-visit and use this: http://www.mypyramid.gov/ it's pretty hokey, but a hell of a lot better than the old pyramid. gives you at least a general idea.

-if your school has a nutrition program, i'm willing to bet that there are student internship programs that will prepare a diet analysis for you for free. hell, even just writing down what you eat for a couple of days for such a thing gives you such a clear idea of what your diet really is like. you'll be surprised.

good luck, and don't think of it as a quick fix - think of it as steps toward a healthier lifestyle.

cosmo105
10-20-2007, 12:24 AM
but sometimes going for a walk or a nice bikeride outside is the last thing on my mind when its its -20 and there's half a foot of snow on the ground for 2-4 months of the year.

haha yeah. see, i love doing stuff outside but i'm not about to go running around this neighborhood at night. the only reason i'll pay for a gym membership is to use the pool or resistance machines. fuck treadmills and stationary bikes.

paul jones
10-20-2007, 12:47 AM
I ran up Mount Everest yesterday, just for a laugh.It was fucking easy as fuck(y)

Lyman Zerga
10-20-2007, 07:49 AM
i lost over 65 pounds with just eating healthier and walking outside for about 2 hours each day

end of trick.

TurdBerglar
10-20-2007, 08:09 AM

i hibernate in the winter

insertnamehere
10-20-2007, 08:55 AM
The thing with running/whatever outside with me is its really fucking embarrasing.

I don't have to pay for a gym membership, I get to use the school gym for free.

It wouldn't be so bad if I had someone to do stuff with outside, but I don't. And I don't want the whole word to see me be like "woo I'm runnin!" and then get to the end of the parking lot and be out of breath.

I've found that running up and down my buildings stairs a couple times is a good way to work up a sweat and get pretty tired, but I feel like that in itself isn't enough.

And as for finding something I enjoy... well, I can't think of anything I enjoy. I really dislike aerobic activity of all kinds. I guess I like riding a bike, but again, that's something that would get really old without someone to do it with. Other than that, I hate running, walking is boring, I don't play any sports (never have)... I like swimming I guess but I'm no good at it and wearing a bathing suite is not an option for me.

BangkokB
10-20-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm FAt

100 Kilo's---Wanting to Pull that down to 80

I'm working on San Soo Kung Foo to lose weight. Believe me on this, you will get thrown down more than a ho in Compton.

Fun way to work out and learn how to injure someone in the process

Thumb Gouge the Eyes, Rake the Eyes, Hit to Throat, Snap the Neck, Kick the Balls and hammer smash the eye, Stomp the Sternum, Stomp the Face/Hit the Jaw Uppercut

Caribou
10-20-2007, 10:30 AM
I've weighed about 95 kilo's for the past couple of years. Mainly due to the eating habits of my parents rubbing off on me (Fast food everyday and a cupboard full of bisquits). I've been living on my own now for over a month and I'm trying to change.
I eat breakfast now, healthy cereal or toast, and I try to not buy any bisquits or chocolate. Also I cook for myself instead of just throwing a pizza in the oven. And as you always have too much when you're alone, I just freeze the rest of it so I always have some proper food. When I'm too lazy to even heat up the leftovers I'll just eat a salad.
I also have to ride my bike for 20 minutes to the trainstation everyday, and then stand on my feet for 8 hours at work.
I hope I'll be losing some weight. It doesn't have to be much, but I just want some proof that my 'healthy' lifestyle is working.

tracky
10-20-2007, 10:34 AM
exercise IS a drug - it causes the release of seratonin which is an inhibitor of brain activity

my doc told me a lot of people who exercise a lot are actually depressed and the exercise acts as an anti-depressant

cosmo105
10-20-2007, 11:18 AM
The thing with running/whatever outside with me is its really fucking embarrasing.

I don't have to pay for a gym membership, I get to use the school gym for free.

It wouldn't be so bad if I had someone to do stuff with outside, but I don't. And I don't want the whole word to see me be like "woo I'm runnin!" and then get to the end of the parking lot and be out of breath.

I've found that running up and down my buildings stairs a couple times is a good way to work up a sweat and get pretty tired, but I feel like that in itself isn't enough.

And as for finding something I enjoy... well, I can't think of anything I enjoy. I really dislike aerobic activity of all kinds. I guess I like riding a bike, but again, that's something that would get really old without someone to do it with. Other than that, I hate running, walking is boring, I don't play any sports (never have)... I like swimming I guess but I'm no good at it and wearing a bathing suite is not an option for me.

enjoy seeing tons of results with that shitty attitude (y)

quit fucking complaining, get off your ass and do something about it. swallow your bullshit pride and go walking with your ipod or whatever. ride your bike in new places every time if you get bored. you're not the first person in the whole world to ever be out of shape. no one's going to be paying attention to you. christ.

Loppfessor
10-20-2007, 11:35 AM
For once I agree with Cosmo....if you really are committed to changing your lifestyle you gotta be willing to suck it up a little. People are assholes and may stare or whatever but you know what at least you are there doing it which is a lot more than many many people can say. That's always been my attitude when it comes to working out. I had a buddy once who was a big big dude and lifted all the time. I've never been a full time weight lifter and never wanted to get big but I still go as part of my overall fitness routine. Anyway he used to always give me shit about how weak I was and how his girlfriend (a female power lifter) could lift more than me (probably true) but I was always like "Fuck you dude at least I'm here..."

You probably have low self esteem cus you're overweight which in itself is making it hard for you to lose the weight but you gotta break that cycle. Haven't you got a friend that you can start a program with? Having a buddy to help keep you motivated can make all the difference in the world. In any event. Stay strong and stay motivated and know that you're doing something positive for yourself...(y)

TurdBerglar
10-20-2007, 06:12 PM
exercise IS a drug - it causes the release of seratonin which is an inhibitor of brain activity

my doc told me a lot of people who exercise a lot are actually depressed and the exercise acts as an anti-depressant

if i don't get any exercise i get retardedly depressed. kinda fucks me up in the winter.

insertnamehere
10-20-2007, 11:12 PM
i dont have a buddy to work out with. like i said, my friends arent really into that (one of them actively discourages it and the other is dating the guy that discourages it)

i asked my friend to go for a jog or go to the gym with my friday when i got off from work, and she was like "eh i have to write a paper"

BULLSHIT you're not writing a paper on friday night!

tonight i didnt get any workout in but i was at work for 9hr45 mins so that has to count for something right? and i went to ihop for dinner, but ive had very few calories the past several days, so i feel pretty horrible about the ihop but i try to tell myself its not so bad, and i didnt eat most of it anyway. all in all i still ate way less today than i normally would.

watching what im eating for a few days has really opened my eyes to some problems i have in my eating habits. for one, i eat a lot socially. like, people will invite me to go to dinner with them, and even if im not hungry i go and eat for the social interaction. for two, i eat a lot without thinking about what it is i actually am eating. like i eat at work a lot, and like, it woudlnt be uncommon for me at lunchtime to get a sandwich, a cookie, and a soda. i think the soda is about 21 oz... so like, whats the around 300 cals? and then our cookies vary by variety but average about 400 cals, and a sandwich is about 600cals. so just my lunch would be half of what i should be eating daily. top that with drinking soda all day at work, whatever my dinner plans are... and then oftentimes id drink sweet tea with some half and half in it... and all the while i was like "gee how am i gaining so much weight"

i woudlnt have gone to ihop last night except i got high tonight. i havnt smoked in 3 years. it was tres pleasurable. like i forgot how pleasurable. i dont know when the last time ive been that relaxed is. it was awesome. but i digress.....

tomorrow im playing ddr and thats lots of exercise. oh yeah, and tonight my manager gave me a morsel of cookie that he was eating and i was like GODDAMNIT YOU'RE ENABLING MY BEING A FATASS.

but my general plan is
-dont drink soda every goddamn day
-stop eating tons of cookies at work. just because i can get broken ones for free doesnt mean i should eat them every time
-dont eat just cause everyone else is. you dont have to go to a restraunt to talk to them
-eat when your hungry and stop when you're full. dont eat it just cuase its there and you feel like your wasting money if you dont.
-MORE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY

especially with the last one i think im gonna have to start out slow and build up, but i think these are all very reasonable and easy to accmplish goals, and they're all very realistic. just kind of small changers i can make that will make a big difference. i dont know exactly how many calories worth of soda and cookies id eat in a normal workday, HOLY FUCKING SHIT THOSE COOKIES HAVE 400 CALORIES EACH HOW DOES THAT WORK

insertnamehere
10-20-2007, 11:15 PM
above mentioned strategy will create noticeable different, right? *crosses fingers*

russhie
10-21-2007, 02:16 AM
enjoy seeing tons of results with that shitty attitude (y)

quit fucking complaining, get off your ass and do something about it. swallow your bullshit pride and go walking with your ipod or whatever. ride your bike in new places every time if you get bored. you're not the first person in the whole world to ever be out of shape. no one's going to be paying attention to you. christ.

Best answer in the whole thread!

I was incredibly unhappy with my weight and level of fitness, and found myself making the same shitty excuses - no one to exercise with, if some 'friend' found out they'd be shitty, don't want to run and have people stare etc - but I got excellent results once I changed my mindset.

You're in charge of the way you look. Quit making excuses. My wakeup call was listening to friends complain that their boyfriends were making them fat, by 'forcing' them to eat pizza and watch DVDs with them. I just thought, oh, fuck off. What a pile of shit people talk.

I was never overweight to begin with but some of my friends have made a big deal about any weightloss - fuck them. I made myself feel better by taking charge of the choices available to me...you're the only one that can live your life.

Lyman Zerga
10-21-2007, 03:31 AM
especially with the last one i think im gonna have to start out slow and build up,

yeah and youre not losing any weight when your pulse is racing so dont work out like a maniac but thats probably a fatty excuse haha

Yetra Flam
10-21-2007, 07:59 PM
over the past couple of months i've completely lost all appetite - probably due to certain people in my life making me fucking sick. as a result, the weight has really fallen off me and i don't like it at all.
for ages i always wanted to be thinner but now that i am, it's not what i thought it would be. i liked it when my jeans were snug and i had a bit more wiggle. sort of made me feel almost like i could be sexy.
so now i'm trying to get it back on, but it's actually really hard because i literally feel nausea all the time. i'm thinking of getting into drinking beers. i'll always be able to throw back some beers and they'll hopefully make me stack it back on.

so ok, i guess a lesson for you who want to lose weight: find something that stresses you out and makes you feel sick.

insertnamehere
10-21-2007, 11:22 PM
i'm always pretty stressed out. but food destresses me. thats part of the probelm. OH MY GOD IM SO STRESSED OUT I NEED COOKIE NOW.

we now have ddr temporarily in my suite so FUCK YEAH. it tricks me into working out. mid-song i'll be like "oh god im tired im gonna stop after this one" but then i finish the song and i'm like AAAAHHHHHHG NEED MOAR SONG NAO and keep playing.

Loppfessor
10-22-2007, 01:06 AM
i dont have a buddy to work out with. like i said, my friends arent really into that (one of them actively discourages it and the other is dating the guy that discourages it)

Umm you're going to have to elaborate on this...what kind of people discourage exercise???

russhie
10-22-2007, 02:13 AM
^ My mum used to and a close friend of mine currently does.

Long story short things mum has done have made me paranoid about my size and she's always kept an eye on me to make sure I don't exercise because I think I'm fat or ugly because then that means I have self esteem problems and that means she's a bad parent. Right?

My friend is constantly commenting about my size and uneccessarily bringing the topic up, joking about how I should lay off the exercise.

It's very complicated but yes there are people out there who'd rather you don't exercise.

Note: I'm not someone who has had an eating disorder nor do I look abnormally skinny.

Loppfessor
10-22-2007, 02:38 AM
^In all fairness I think there's a fine line between looking out for someone who may (or may not) be overdoing it due to a poor self image and discouraging someone who may have a legitimate weight problem and does need to lose some weight

beastiegirrl101
10-22-2007, 09:33 AM
so ok, i guess a lesson for you who want to lose weight: find something that stresses you out and makes you feel sick.

Seriously...I lost about 10 lbs because of stress last year and I only weigh about 115....I looked really gaunt and emaciated.

I agree with Cosmo...get yourself motivated, you will be extatic when you start to see results and it will drive you to do more!

Lyman Zerga
10-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Seriously...I lost about 10 lbs because of stress last year and I only weigh about 115....

cant wait to get there

TAL
10-22-2007, 10:12 AM
cant wait to get there

Same here.

cosmo105
10-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Seriously...I lost about 10 lbs because of stress last year and I only weigh about 115....I looked really gaunt and emaciated.

I agree with Cosmo...get yourself motivated, you will be extatic when you start to see results and it will drive you to do more!

yeah, i haven't been able to work out in a couple months for medical reasons, and i lost about 5 lbs from stress so now my arms and legs are more twiggy than ever and yet i still have a gut :confused:

insertnamehere
10-22-2007, 12:57 PM
seriously, one of my two good friends it completely anti-exercise. he thinks that it's vain and that it's "trying to conform to society's standards of beauty" and if i say something like "but i'm unhealthy" he's like "pfff, you're gonna die someday anyway. do you want to spend your life working out or doing something you actually enjoy" he really bashes it a lot. i think maybe its a jealousy thing, like, hes too lazy to get fit himself, and to cover up the fact that he's unhappy with how he looks, he just acts like that instead, like he's really super morally opposed to it or something. or like it's cool to not care.

HEIRESS
10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
insert what size of clothes do you wear right now? just curious.

abcdefz
10-22-2007, 01:06 PM
seriously, one of my two good friends it completely anti-exercise. he thinks that it's vain and that it's "trying to conform to society's standards of beauty" and if i say something like "but i'm unhealthy" he's like "pfff, you're gonna die someday anyway. do you want to spend your life working out or doing something you actually enjoy" he really bashes it a lot. i think maybe its a jealousy thing, like, hes too lazy to get fit himself, and to cover up the fact that he's unhappy with how he looks, he just acts like that instead, like he's really super morally opposed to it or something. or like it's cool to not care.

I have yet to meet someone who has gotten into shape and is sorry for it. You always feel so much better mentally and physically, people
respond to you better, clothes fit better -- everything's better.

insertnamehere
10-22-2007, 01:34 PM
umm... i cant give you very specific sizes, like as far as with dresses and things, all i wear is tshirts and jeans... size 11 jeans, and an adult small or juniors large tshirt... i dont think thats much to go on

and cmute, i dont think i could lose the ass if i tried. not that i'm tryin'... even when i was a fairly healthy weight and had a nice waist i still had a huuuuuge butt. if im ever stranded in the desert i can make like a camel and survive off of it.

jabumbo
10-22-2007, 01:49 PM
mute has the right idea

i love to run myself, but since recently i havent been able to get myself motivated to do that, i feel the need to eat better all the time.

cooking for myself every night is probably the best thing in the world and it makes me feel so much better when i sit down to a nice meal and then a roommate walks in the door and plops in a can of soup in the microwave.

little j
10-23-2007, 06:15 AM
long, rambling pre-dietitian post alert:

(lots of text)

good luck, and don't think of it as a quick fix - think of it as steps toward a healthier lifestyle.

What a freakin excellent post!!

i just joined a gym last monday and i've committed to going at least 4 days a week for as long as i can. Last week i was only able to do about 20 minutes a day of cardio before i had to shower and get to work. Today i was able to do almost 30 minutes of cardio and some weight training (arms/shoulders/back) so that was cool.

i'm doing it to lose some poundage... but mainly just to be healthier...

i've noticed just after a week that my energy level is up. im happier and just in a better mood in general. my bff joined the gym with me but we dont work out together because we have different schedules... still its good to have someone that is also going through the same things like how sore i was the first two days of last week.

I haven't lost any weight yet... but i feel just amazing... amazing!

OH and... i rarely drink anything but water and hot tea... usually green tea (hot because my office is freakin cold) no sweetener since they make yummy flavors like pomegranate and mint. I also try to drink a glass of milk every day.

:)

russhie
10-23-2007, 08:11 AM
^In all fairness I think there's a fine line between looking out for someone who may (or may not) be overdoing it due to a poor self image and discouraging someone who may have a legitimate weight problem and does need to lose some weight

Oh, I think so too. But neither of these people quite know my obsession with looking a particular way - I don't discuss that with many people at all. In fact, this friend thought I was super confident about my looks, so go figure. I don't know. I used to crash diet and binge when I was younger, because I felt I wasn't able to openly exercise around my mum. Again, I've never had any outward problems or that so I don't know why anyone would have a problem with me maintaining my fitness.