PDA

View Full Version : Moving in with your best friend...

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-22-2007, 02:44 AM
Anyone tried it? Horror stories? Success stories?

I'm fixing to...

ms.peachy
10-22-2007, 03:29 AM
My best friend and I got a place together when we were 20, 21. It was OK. As with any other roommate situation, you need to respect eachother, have some ground rules about cleaning, bf's/gf's spending the night, bill paying, etc. I would say to be sure to have things to do without eachother as much as with - if you are living together and out together and always with the same group of friends, you might both start feeling a bit crowded.

hitmonlee
10-22-2007, 03:38 AM
i'd housesat with her for 3 months.

she didn't turn into a full blown hippy until we moved into our own place.

hell on earth.

sprouts growing on the kitchen bench (i really like the bench to be free of clutter), having to be quiet in the mornings as it was her "meditation time" (she had 3 whole hours of morning time compared to my 1 so surely she could meditate at a different time), took over the fridge and pantry with weird grains, tofus and naturopath prescribed tonics... argh!

the people i am living with now are not my best friends. i was their friend, and saw how the house operated. i dug the way the house operated and decided to move in.

find someone with a compatible lifestyle, not someone you can talk to and share interests with.

Loppfessor
10-22-2007, 05:17 AM
I never lived with my "best" friend but one time I had two friends move in with me cus my old roommates both left town abruptly. Within a few weeks one of them came out of the closet, which was fine until he started doing drag shows and bringing home guys. It created a huge problem between him and the other dude who turned out to be a big time asshole/redneck. Worse still they BOTH were fucking slobs....it sucked.

The next roommate I had was a very close female friend and man that was awesome. We pretty much had a little married couple thing going minus the sex. I would buy food and she'd cook it, we would do each other's laundry and such. Plus neither of us had a problem with the other bringing someone home. So I guess it can go either way, good luck

tracky
10-22-2007, 06:13 AM
I wouldn't recommend it. I still havn't spoken to my best friend since we moved out about 6 months ago. A casual aquaintence would be far more suitable. Maybe for your first year with a mate and see how it goes, but we always ended up sick of each other

Kid Presentable
10-22-2007, 06:20 AM
I'd say don't do it. But I get sick of people really easily.

Lyman Zerga
10-22-2007, 08:27 AM
i wish i could live with my sister (again)

abcdefz
10-22-2007, 10:31 AM
It's never worked for me.

The thing is: when I get home, I have to decompress from being around people all day or even from hanging out with good friends. It's just
incredibly exhausting to me, and I have to recharge by being by myself.

Now, I tell people this before we move in together and they say they understand, but, inevitably, tension results because "we never hang
out any more." But, it's like, I'm living with them, so it feels like I see them all the time anyway. It's weird.

But, yeah -- it's never worked out. Actually, there were two guys I lived with where we all stayed friends. But that's the only time.

HEIRESS
10-22-2007, 01:15 PM
the only person I could ever handle being roomies with was my brother

and truthfully that went so well because I worked days, and he work nights shifts so we never even saw each other for 5-6 days at a time.

cookiepuss
10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
disaster. anyone who i've ever known who moved in with thier best friend resulted with them hating each other. I mean like never wanna speak to each other again kinda crap.

I've known people who moved in together and became best friends. that seems to work out much better.

but every situation and person is different, so I wish you luck. it might be just dandy for you and your BFF.

abcdefz
10-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Even in college, it went that way.

My first roommate I didn't know. We got along fine. Didn't hang out together, but liked each other and were really comfortable living together
and comfortable with each other's friends.

Cut to spring semester. New dude had moved in a few doors down. He and I got along great and hung out a lot; his roommate hated him but
got along fine with my roommate. So we switched.

Many, within a month, my friend and I were on each other's nerves something awful. We even went through a not-speaking phase, which was
a first for me.

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I just broke up with my girlfriend of over 3 years...but in reality it was really "over" quite a while ago...I'm moving in around the first, it's a nice big place actually. I think I'm going to compromise...I'm going to move in, but not sign a year lease in case stuff doesn't work.

Thanks for the advice guys...

Oh yeah, and while we're on the subject. Breaking up after 3 years...it's a bitch isn't it?

Yetra Flam
10-22-2007, 09:45 PM
yes. but in my case, i could see it coming from a mile away.

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Same here. But for some reason it's not making it any easier :(

Yetra Flam
10-23-2007, 12:08 AM
meh, not getting any easier here either. that's all compounded by the fact that they're coping with it absolutely fine and have even found someone else - a little too soon for my liking.

hitmonlee
10-23-2007, 12:38 AM
I just broke up with my girlfriend of over 3 years...but in reality it was really "over" quite a while ago...I'm moving in around the first, it's a nice big place actually. I think I'm going to compromise...I'm going to move in, but not sign a year lease in case stuff doesn't work.

Oh yeah, and while we're on the subject. Breaking up after 3 years...it's a bitch isn't it?

i have a theory about the number three and relationships.

3 months is make or break. if you make - your next hurdle is 3 years. make or break. i'm yet to see if this works for 30 years.

sorry :(

yetra that's what happened with my last break up - um... and i hope you recover better than me, because 1 yr on, and i'm still; fucking heartbroken - while he is happy as and is still with the german bitch he left me for, living it up in germany. damn germans.

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-23-2007, 03:10 AM
I've heard of the 7 year itch, but never the 3 year curse. Looks like alot of people have experienced it though. I'm glad I'm not the only one :(

DandyFop
10-23-2007, 03:46 AM
Even if you see it coming I don't think it really prepares you for the loss of intimacy, the loss of having someone there. You can know it's coming but, for me, those are the things that are the hardest to deal with, losing someone who became a close friend and now it's like you have to act as though that never happened in order to get over it. Hard shit.

Auton
10-23-2007, 04:16 AM
i've personally known four or five instances of some of my close friends or family members moving in with their best friends and it always turned out really bad. hell, my (former) best friend crashed at my place for a week while looking for a place down here, and i seriously LOATHED him by the time he left. hated his guts. we're fine now, but we're not as close.

Lyman Zerga
10-23-2007, 03:57 PM

nooo! :(

does that mean we are more than siblings now? :((y)

*lots of love filled super hugs*

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-23-2007, 05:46 PM
*lots of love filled super hugs*

Dorothy Wood
10-23-2007, 06:32 PM
I lived with my best friend off and on for 7 years. It was great. I miss her a lot. We had the same ideas about things though, and when we didn't, our strengths and faults were typically complementary. i.e. I was good at decorating, handy work...and she was good at paying bills on time and organizing get-togethers.

I'd say that's pretty rare though. I know she likes living with her boyfriend, but I can tell that he's a little more difficult to live with than me. :cool:

I live with strangers now and it kinda sucks. I never really feel comfortable. it'll get better, but I don't like being there so I usually just stay away.

HEIRESS
10-24-2007, 08:28 AM
I have a buddy pestering me via facebook to become his new roommate.
its tempting because he works on the oil rigs up north so he is only home once a month, has a huge tv, every gaming consule known to man...

AND the motherfucker is like "I wanna get a puppy and I cant be leaving a puppy home with some roommate that I dont even trust...maybe even a bernese mountain dog..."

ACK
BERNESE MOUNTAIN PUPPY (http://www.karebearberners.com/images/bernese-mountain-puppy.jpg)

he's fucking driving a tough bargain. but I like living in the downtown core. I dont want to move way up the fucking mountain. AND I dont want his snowboarder/oil rig friends coming over every 3 weeks and fucking up my shit.

abcdefz
10-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Dang. That sounds like it's potentially a sweet setup.

Is that the actual dog he's looking at?

Kid Presentable
10-24-2007, 08:44 AM
To add penis to vagina, no doubt.

HEIRESS
10-24-2007, 09:50 AM
naw, his last few roomies ditched out on him without paying rent, and wrecked some of his stuff. so basically all he sees is the fact that i have a fat change purse and wont screw him over.

plus he's been dating a girl who is sponsored by burton for the past 2 years, so Im definately absolutely no competition.

actually I joked that he's only asking me so that he can take a stab at my best friend (whom he used to date) who basically lives with me whenever she is home for the holidays.

PUPPYPPYPYPYYY

not that exact puppy, but definately that breed.

HEIRESS
10-24-2007, 10:04 AM
semi-pro snowboarder.

abcdefz
10-24-2007, 10:19 AM
More flammable, too. (y)

Kid Presentable
10-24-2007, 10:34 AM
What does "sponsored by burton" mean?
Mr Burton's penis.

Kid Presentable
10-24-2007, 10:34 AM